Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Game 12 -- Richmond
Bookmark and Share
hktribefan Offline
1st String

I Root For: William & Mary
Game 12 -- Richmond
The chips have fallen our way, and if we win we are essentially a lock for the playoffs (barring some sort of curse that....nevermind, don't want to tempt fate by bringing things up). Richmond on a bit of a skid, and kind of remind me of us last year; needed to win one of their final three (we were one of final two) games to get in, but haven't been able to get it done. Strauss looked terrible on Saturday against JMU, but will be one week healthier so who knows what that means. I think things are coming together on all sides of the ball and we are "peaking at the right time" as talking heads like to say. Hopefully we have a big crowd on Saturday, though as of right now there are well over 2,000 tickets still available. Everyone bring a friend (or four)!
11-17-2014 09:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

wml33t Online
1st String

I Root For: William and Mar
RE: Game 12 -- Richmond
A big, loud crowd would go a long way. Unfortunately I suspect the weather will keep a lot of people away.

The team will HAVE to be pumped up for this. Both teams are fighting for their playoff lives and the Tribe can't assume that the same team that showed up the last two weeks for UR will show up this Saturday.
11-17-2014 09:43 AM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

The late kickoff is encouraging. I expect a large, drunk student section.
11-17-2014 11:44 AM
hktribefan Offline
1st String

(11-17-2014 11:44 AM)zablenoise Wrote:  The late kickoff is encouraging. I expect a large, drunk student section.

Is there some buzz around the game on campus? Obviously with playoffs on the line, won the last two, and the Richmond game there's buzz among those of us on here, but that doesn't always carry over to the student body. Hopefully there's something done to really get the students out.
11-17-2014 11:52 AM
Rocco Offline
All American

Last two games:

Cluley: 45 attempts, 271 yards passing, 6.02 YPA
MAS: 53 carries, 335 yards rushing, 6.32 YPC

I'm not sure W&M can beat Richmond without a passing attack but I will enjoy watching them try.
11-17-2014 12:09 PM
WMTribe90 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tribe
(11-17-2014 12:09 PM)Rocco Wrote:  Last two games:

I'm not sure W&M can beat Richmond without a passing attack but I will enjoy watching them try.

When the TB is averaging 6.32 ypc there is little need to pass the ball. More importantly, when Cluley is passing he is completing passes for first downs and not throwing interceptions. I'm fairly confident that if the OL can give Cluley time, we can pass enough to maintain a balanced attack in case UR decides to load up on the run. My gut says this game will be won (or lost) based on the performance of our patchwork OL.
(This post was last modified: 11-17-2014 12:43 PM by WMTribe90.)
11-17-2014 12:22 PM
Advertisement

Hail Indians Offline
Water Engineer

Interesting stats. I expect the 6.32 YPC for the tailback might influence how often you would ask your young QB, behind a patchwork OL, to drive the ball down the field.

Perhaps the real story here is tailbacks productivity.

Congrats to both of these young men to leading our team to two important wins.

BEAT THE SPIDERS. JUST FIND A WAY.
11-17-2014 12:25 PM
hktribefan Offline
1st String

Richmond has 10 turnovers in the last two games...I think you could throw the IM flag football champion team out there and have a chance.

In all seriousness though, Cluley on the first drive of the game against Towson was great. Then we went up by 3 TDs and didn't need to do anything for the rest of the game. I hope the OL can rest up and start some of the first string guys. Laycock was asked about Houston-Carson coming back and he said something to the effect of he didn't think so, but didn't rule it out. Glad he's getting better and that there's at least a chance he can play (though Swinton has been doing a great job in his absence).
11-17-2014 12:40 PM
Rocco Offline
All American

(11-17-2014 12:22 PM)WMTribe90 Wrote:  

When the TB is averaging 6.32 ypc there is little need to pass the ball. More importantly, when Cluley is passing he is completing passes for first downs and not throwing interceptions. I'm fairly confident that if the OL can give Cluley time, we can pass enough to maintain a balanced attack, if UR decides to load up on the run. My gut is the game will be won (or lost) based on the performance of our patchwork OL.

Richmond's rush defense this year in CAA has been slightly stouter than Elon and Towson. The last two weeks W&M has been able to get out to leads early and paper over their issues throwing the football.
11-17-2014 12:45 PM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

(11-17-2014 12:40 PM)hktribefan Wrote:  Laycock was asked about Houston-Carson coming back and he said something to the effect of he didn't think so, but didn't rule it out. Glad he's getting better and that there's at least a chance he can play (though Swinton has been doing a great job in his absence).

I'd love to see DHC back just for his punt/kick blocking ability.
11-17-2014 01:54 PM
WMTribe90 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tribe
(11-17-2014 12:45 PM)Rocco Wrote:  

When the TB is averaging 6.32 ypc there is little need to pass the ball. More importantly, when Cluley is passing he is completing passes for first downs and not throwing interceptions. I'm fairly confident that if the OL can give Cluley time, we can pass enough to maintain a balanced attack, if UR decides to load up on the run. My gut is the game will be won (or lost) based on the performance of our patchwork OL.

Richmond's rush defense this year in CAA has been slightly stouter than Elon and Towson. The last two weeks W&M has been able to get out to leads early and paper over their issues throwing the football.

Actually, WM came out throwing last week, moved quickly down the field with a series of completed passes, and took an early lead on a TD pass to McBride, which in turn allowed us to go to the ground game the rest of the way. Cluley doesn't need to pass for 250+ yards a game for us to win. For us to win, we need to run first and foremost, hold on to the ball (TOP and TOs) and successfully mix in the pass/deep shots as situations dictate. WM didn't "paper over" the passing game. We took a lead, partly based on a strong passing performance in the 1st qtr, and then stuck with the running game because we had a lead and it was working!
11-17-2014 02:10 PM
Advertisement

hktribefan Offline
1st String

Wow, since this morning about 500 tickets seem to have been sold. Always hard to tell with online ticketing if that actually means those tickets were sold, but if that's the case it looks like things are on track for a pretty good crowd this weekend.
11-17-2014 03:18 PM
Rocco Offline
All American

(11-17-2014 02:10 PM)WMTribe90 Wrote:  
(11-17-2014 12:45 PM)Rocco Wrote:  

Actually, WM came out throwing last week, moved quickly down the field with a series of completed passes, and took an early lead on a TD pass to McBride, which in turn allowed us to go to the ground game the rest of the way. Cluley doesn't need to pass for 250+ yards a game for us to win. For us to win, we need to run first and foremost, hold on to the ball (TOP and TOs) and successfully mix in the pass/deep shots as situations dictate. WM didn't "paper over" the passing game. We took a lead, partly based on a strong passing performance in the 1st qtr, and then stuck with the running game because we had a lead and it was working!

They did come out throwing and Cluley threw for 64% of his total yards on the first drive of the game. The passing game didn't do much after that in part because it wasn't needed and and in part because it wasn't doing much of anything when they tried. The next TD drive had one pass (which was incomplete) and 5 runs. The drive to make it 21-0 was a two play drive with one pass. The 4th scoring drive had 12 of 13 plays on the ground. The deep shots have steadily dried up as the season has gone along. If W&M can continue to run the ball at will the issues in the passing game won't matter. I'm skeptical that Richmond will be as easy to run over as Towson and Elon were. If W&M has to throw there's reason to worry given the significant lack of balance over the last few weeks.
11-17-2014 05:13 PM
TribePride91 Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M Tribe
The team was dominant in the first half. The only series we failed to score on was when we threw our favorite 1 yard pass on 3rd and 5 and came up short of the first down. Otherwise, it was total domination, great running, great blocking, and solid play from Cluley and the receivers. The second half was not good, but likely was due to some injuries and very conservative attack. I hope we will try and keep attacking Saturday night. Richmond(like all our other highly ranked opponents) has the ability to score a lot of points and score quickly. The Tribe should not play as though any lead is safe until the time guarantees it(i.e the victory formation with under 2 minutes to play). Really proud of the efforts by all the guys on the O-line to try and step up for the injuries. Would love to get good news on the Saturday injuries, but they both looked bad.
11-17-2014 06:12 PM
TribeNomad Offline
1st String

Wow, shades of last year. A little different, as last year UR was streaking, not sinking, at year end. We had a very, very physical game with TU last year, and seemed drained after that one. Will UR be in a similar position? We got banged up a lot against TU last year, and again this year lost two more guys. I do think the game was more physical overall (sustained) last year.

We are home this time, and seniors playing perhaps their last game. Which coach(es) can get the teams ready to play for 60 minutes? We cannot play close to the vest on this one.

Some of you may have also seen Tre run over and bless out some guys who were either indifferent or perhaps celebrating too early in the Elon game. I could not hear it all, but he was animated and vocal, and screamed about three minutes being left in the game. Hopefully, other leaders will also push the team to play 60 minutes. Tre and others would love to end their careers in the playoffs.

Go Tribe!!
11-17-2014 06:59 PM
hktribefan Offline
1st String

Based on the game notes it looks like Jones will be back at Center, no luck on Ugokwe though. When they rolled the cart out I hoped it was just precautionary.

On another note, I really hope we do the all green uniforms again.
11-17-2014 10:06 PM
Advertisement

zablenoise Offline
Heisman

(11-17-2014 10:06 PM)hktribefan Wrote:  On another note, I really hope we do the all green uniforms again.

I sincerely hope not
11-17-2014 10:50 PM
BigTribe Offline
2nd String

Go Big Green. The players and most fans loved the green unis and they are great looking.
11-18-2014 07:03 AM
TribePride91 Offline
All American

(11-18-2014 07:03 AM)BigTribe Wrote:  Go Big Green. The players and most fans loved the green unis and they are great looking.

We are undefeated at home not wearing the green uniforms. Not that the uniforms should affect how we play. Let's just hope the Spiders wear the same uniforms they did this past Saturday.
11-18-2014 07:55 AM
LeadBolt Offline
All American

I like that the coaches had the team come out throwing on the first drive last week. It keeps the other team off balance and by doing it up front it is more firmly ingrained on their psychy. That opens up the run and keeps the opposition from stacking the box against us as much as they might otherwise do.

Rocco coached teams have historically not fared well in the late season when a playoff game is within grasp. Let's hope that trend continues and Jimmye does his best job in game 401.

The O line is a concern, but these guys have done a great job stepping up as the injuries mount up. With Bo back and Jones hopefully ready to go from the notes, I think these guys will continue their performance under pressure.

It is generally easier to run with a patch work line than throw. So if we can throw enough to keep the Ticks from constantly loading the box I think we will be ok, if we can continue our turn over advantage.
11-18-2014 10:06 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.