Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SOMEONE SACRIFICE A GOAT OR SOMETHING
Bookmark and Share
Hail Indians Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: William & Mary
1991 – Some kid for JMU dives for the pylon towards the end of the game, gets lit-up in mid-air and fumbles…mad scramble for the ball. Officials rule that he broke the plain. JMU wins 29-28.

1992 – W&M team loses 21-14 on the road at JMU…we finish 9-2 and JMU has a losing record. Get used to this.

1995 – We get a punt blocked in Q4, on our way to giving up a 10 point lead in the second half to lose at home, 24-21. We finish 7-4 and miss the playoffs by 1 game.

1996 – W&M wins the conference title and finish the year ranked #5 in the country, but lose on the road to a JMU team with a losing record by a score of 26-21.

2002 – A ranked W&M team in David Corley’s senior year enters week 10 at 6-3, needing two wins to clinch a playoff berth. It rains in Harrisonburg and is about 34 degrees. We lose in double OT 34-31 to a JMU team with a losing record. We then collapse the next week against Richmond and finish the worst 6-5 season in W&M history.

2004 – We finally beat JMU in Harrisonburg 27-24, only to lose to them in the national semifinals four weeks later. At home.

2005 – JMU comes to Williamsburg and their clown kicker makes a 45+ yard FG in the closing seconds in front of a sell-out crowd. The kid missed extra points that season with regularity, but he bounces this one off the cross-bar and in. 30-29 final score in perhaps the worst loss I have ever seen for a W&M team. W&M came into the game at 5-3 and then died after this game, finishing 5-6.

2010 – W&M is ranked #1 in the country and a heavy favorite coming into Harrisonburg at 7-2 with only a 4 point loss at UMass and a 7 point loss at UNC. JMU sucks. They move a RB to QB and run the wildcat all game. They do not complete a pass and beat us 30-24. I was wrong, this was the worst loss ever.

2011 – We lose 20-14 at home. This sucks.

2012 – We lose at JMU in double OT…after missing a 28 yard FG to win the game in regulation. You can’t make this $#!T up. Seriously.
10-29-2014 04:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

hktribefan Offline
1st String

RE: SOMEONE SACRIFICE A GOAT OR SOMETHING
JMU is to us, what we are to UNH? Seems to be the year for reversing curses.
10-29-2014 04:06 PM
Paulbintheburg Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tribe
(10-29-2014 04:01 PM)Hail Indians Wrote:  2010 – W&M is ranked #1 in the country and a heavy favorite coming into Harrisonburg at 7-2 with only a 4 point loss at UMass and a 7 point loss at UNC. JMU sucks. They move a RB to QB and run the wildcat all game. They do not complete a pass and beat us 30-24. I was wrong, this was the worst loss ever.

They also blocked a punt. That day sucked then the drive back at night from that Hillbilly carnival was the cherry on top.
10-29-2014 04:07 PM
TribeNomad Offline
1st String

I Root For: W&M Tribe
The 2010 game blew. No passes. I believe GSU later rammed it down our throats at home. 2012 the refs jammed it somewhere else......
10-29-2014 04:53 PM
Tribal Offline

Re: RE: SOMEONE SACRIFICE A GOAT OR SOMETHING
(10-29-2014 04:53 PM)TribeNomad Wrote:  The 2010 game blew. No passes. I believe GSU later rammed it down our throats at home. 2012 the refs jammed it somewhere else......
Sweep right, rinse, repeat.

#RisingTribe
10-29-2014 05:54 PM
Rocco Offline
All American

I Root For: William and Mar
I remember throwing things in 2010 when W&M kicked a field goal from the JMU 3 yard line down a TD in the 4th quarter. Just gutless.

Shouldn't leave out 2007 where JMU never punted or 2008 where W&M needed to win one of their last two games and got hammered.
10-29-2014 06:01 PM
Advertisement

Hail Indians Offline
Water Engineer

(10-29-2014 06:01 PM)Rocco Wrote:  I remember throwing things in 2010 when W&M kicked a field goal from the JMU 3 yard line down a TD in the 4th quarter. Just gutless.

Shouldn't leave out 2007 where JMU never punted or 2008 where W&M needed to win one of their last two games and got hammered.

Yeah I didn't include every loss. Just the ones that I thought were painfully close or ridiculous circumstances. And there were a lot of those.
10-29-2014 07:37 PM
TribePride91 Offline
All American

House of horrors!!!!! Fitting that this is the day after Halloween. Aside from some horrible calls by the Zebras, the common theme of most of those defeats other than bad luck was the lack of great defense. 2009 was glorious because it was a total beatdown. Let's hope we get an inspired effort Saturday. Really pulling for Carpenter to hit the game winner.

Definitely willing to sacrifice a goat. Unless below 32 degree temperatures will freeze the curse. To the long Lis I add Justin Thorpe getting eligible just long enough to beat us and then disappearing again. Since the game is on ASN, we should bring some Andre Nation posters. You fill in what the S stands for.
10-29-2014 08:55 PM
BigTribe Offline
2nd String

Ten years since Greg Kuehn's magnificent 47-yard fieldgoal on the game's final play
gave the Tribe it's last victory at JMU. The stadium went from a howling noise to complete silence in the blink of an eye.

The football gods were with us that moment, perhaps the only time in memory at JMU, when a continuous swirling wind suddenly dropped as Kuehn lined up for the attempt...then picked up again as soon as the ball cleared the crossbar.

We'll need some of that this Saturday.
10-30-2014 05:23 AM
Paulbintheburg Offline
2nd String

Think two goats should be sacrificed, just to be sure.

Seriously what was up with the defensive gameplan in 2010, 2 teams that threw the ball like they were a peewee team, yet ran all over the place like a John Deere lawnmower????
10-30-2014 06:26 AM
TribeNomad Offline
1st String

I believe the DC had accepted another job by then......... JMU & GSU ran all over us.
10-30-2014 06:37 AM
Advertisement

hktribefan Offline
1st String

I think JMU had thrown in the towel and tried something new by moving their speediest guy to be a running QB. GSU that year implemented their new offense, struggled the first few games then steamrolled pretty much everyone else.
(This post was last modified: 10-30-2014 06:55 AM by hktribefan.)
10-30-2014 06:54 AM
Paulbintheburg Offline
2nd String

(10-30-2014 06:54 AM)hktribefan Wrote:  I think JMU had thrown in the towel and tried something new by moving their speediest guy to be a running QB. GSU that year implemented their new offense, struggled the first few games then steamrolled pretty much everyone else.

I drove one of the defensive coaches home from that 2010 JMU game, and the only time I brought the game up, I said "Couldn't you put a spy on the qb?"

He said, "Great idea, so another guy would of been out of position"

And with that I switched the conversation over to hockey. His point was well taken.
(This post was last modified: 10-30-2014 07:41 AM by Paulbintheburg.)
10-30-2014 07:38 AM
Tribe Fan Offline
Special Teams

Ole Mickey just loved beating JL and W&M . If he went 1-10 and the W was against us then he was happy, so it seemed. The no pass game he threw at our D just shows he would coach his ass off against The Tribe .
Hopefully our D will rise to the occasion on saturday like they did last year, except watch the screen pass.
10-30-2014 08:33 AM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
(10-29-2014 04:01 PM)Hail Indians Wrote:  2005 – JMU comes to Williamsburg and their clown kicker makes a 45+ yard FG in the closing seconds in front of a sell-out crowd. The kid missed extra points that season with regularity, but he bounces this one off the cross-bar and in. 30-29 final score in perhaps the worst loss I have ever seen for a W&M team. W&M came into the game at 5-3 and then died after this game, finishing 5-6.

You referencing David Rabil as the clown kicker? Paul Wantuck kicked that game-winner I believe. Pretty sure I saw Rabil sulking postgame that another kicker had taken the FG try.
10-30-2014 11:52 AM
Tribal Offline

That 2010 game started with us drilling their QB on his first dropback. My sister-in-law was in her last year at JMU and we sat with her in the student section. That day just sucked starting with tailgating on the other side of the I-81 bridge.

#RisingTribe
10-30-2014 02:47 PM
Advertisement

Hail Indians Offline
Water Engineer

I am sure you are correct HyperDuke. All I remember was that JMU shaky PAT/FG execution that season (to that point)...and that I felt very comfortable when JMU lined up for the game winner.
10-30-2014 04:42 PM
Tribe4SF Offline
1st String

I Root For: W&M
(10-30-2014 04:42 PM)Hail Indians Wrote:  I am sure you are correct HyperDuke. All I remember was that JMU shaky PAT/FG execution that season (to that point)...and that I felt very comfortable when JMU lined up for the game winner.

Still a highly improbable kick. Knuckleball ball that never went more than 15 ft. off the ground and hit the crossbar.
10-30-2014 06:54 PM
Hail Indians Offline
Water Engineer

Yep. Ridiculous looking.
10-31-2014 05:45 AM
Tribe4SF Offline
1st String

I Root For: W&M
It is done.

[Image: goatsacrifice_zps0be985e7.jpg]
10-31-2014 07:26 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.