Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Best Running Back in Sun Belt?
Bookmark and Share
WinstonTheWolf Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Arkansas State
Quite a battle. I still say it is McGuire based on what my eyes tell me.

3 Sun Belt backs lead the NATION in yards per carry, although NCAA blows Breida off as "Reclassifying".

Min. 10 rushes per game | Must play in 75% of team's games

1 Elijah McGuire, La.-Lafayette So. 9.43
2 Michael Gordon, Arkansas St. Jr. 9.27

3 Tevin Coleman, Indiana Jr. 8.83
4 Devon Johnson, Marshall Jr. 8.78
5 Breon Allen, East Carolina Sr. 7.59

- Matt Breida, Ga. Southern So. 9.56

NCAA.ORG STATS
(click on Individual "tab", then select "rushing yards per carry" on the Additional stats drop down menu)
(This post was last modified: 10-27-2014 07:40 AM by WinstonTheWolf.)
10-27-2014 07:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hail The Blue Offline
1st String

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
RE: Best Running Back in Sun Belt?
(10-27-2014 07:38 AM)WinstonTheWolf Wrote:  Quite a battle. I still say it is McGuire based on what my eyes tell me.

3 Sun Belt backs lead the NATION in yards per carry, although NCAA blows Breida off as "Reclassifying".

Min. 10 rushes per game | Must play in 75% of team's games

1 Elijah McGuire, La.-Lafayette So. 9.43
2 Michael Gordon, Arkansas St. Jr. 9.27

3 Tevin Coleman, Indiana Jr. 8.83
4 Devon Johnson, Marshall Jr. 8.78
5 Breon Allen, East Carolina Sr. 7.59

- Matt Breida, Ga. Southern So. 9.56

NCAA.ORG STATS
(click on Individual "tab", then select "rushing yards per carry" on the Additional stats drop down menu)

I only was able to watch a little of the ULL/ArkSt game. During that time I saw McGuire make a few big plays. Didn't catch much of Gordon (it was all ULL while I was watching). That kid is a player. That said, I wouldn't trade Breida for anyone.

04-cheers
10-27-2014 07:48 AM
SkullyMaroo Offline

I Root For: South Alabama
Coach Joey Jones thinks that McGuire is not only the best back in the league, but the best player in the league. I'll go with him.
10-27-2014 08:16 AM
bullitt_60 Offline
All American

I Root For: Ga Southern
ESPN's stats are a little easier to navigate:
http://espn.go.com/college-football/stat...at/rushing
10-27-2014 08:20 AM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I would say McGuire but it's worth pointing out that Breida is practically a freshman in all but name so we will have to wait and see how he develops.
10-27-2014 08:23 AM
Hail Southern Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Eagles
McGuire and Brieda are the top candidates, but McGuire seems to pancake LBs a lot so I'll give it to him. Brieda finds gaps and hits them fast. I think he's quicker but doesn't have the same power at contact like McGuire.
10-27-2014 08:25 AM
Advertisement

Vobserver Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Louisiana
(10-27-2014 08:25 AM)Hail Southern Wrote:  McGuire and Brieda are the top candidates, but McGuire seems to pancake LBs a lot so I'll give it to him. Brieda finds gaps and hits them fast. I think he's quicker but doesn't have the same power at contact like McGuire.

I will say that I have not seen Brieda play, but if he is quicker than McGuire, I sure want to watch. One thing you need to know is that McGuire has had a turf toe issue all year. His speed and cutting ability are both hampered by his injury. He looked 'slow' [for him] in the stAte game.

Also, he led the nation in yards per carry last year as a true freshman, and would have led in yards per catch, but he did not have enough receptions to qualify.
10-27-2014 08:37 AM
bullitt_60 Offline
All American

(10-27-2014 08:37 AM)Vobserver Wrote:  
(10-27-2014 08:25 AM)Hail Southern Wrote:  McGuire and Brieda are the top candidates, but McGuire seems to pancake LBs a lot so I'll give it to him. Brieda finds gaps and hits them fast. I think he's quicker but doesn't have the same power at contact like McGuire.

I will say that I have not seen Brieda play, but if he is quicker than McGuire, I sure want to watch. One thing you need to know is that McGuire has had a turf toe issue all year. His speed and cutting ability are both hampered by his injury. He looked 'slow' [for him] in the stAte game.

Also, he led the nation in yards per carry last year as a true freshman, and would have led in yards per catch, but he did not have enough receptions to qualify.

Brieda is definitely faster although he appears to be much smaller.

LA Ramsby is making a great resume for himself as well.
10-27-2014 08:43 AM
Vobserver Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(10-27-2014 08:43 AM)bullitt_60 Wrote:  

McGuire has run an auto timed 4.38
10-27-2014 08:45 AM
bullitt_60 Offline
All American

(10-27-2014 08:45 AM)Vobserver Wrote:  

Brieda is a sub-4.4 guy as well. You'll get to see on Thursday.
10-27-2014 08:51 AM
TrueBlueAlum Offline
1st String

I Root For: GA Southern
From a quick eye test I'd say McGuire is faster, but I wouldn't want to face either one.
10-27-2014 08:53 AM
Advertisement

Louisiana99 Offline
All American

As far as just RB I think people can make arguments for their guy, all purpose I think it's McGuire by far, in 2 years here oy Jamal Robinson has made as impressive catches as McGuire has. He could play WR for a lot of schools and being a qb in high school throws a great ball. Will be interested to see what happens with Harris gone next year.
(This post was last modified: 10-27-2014 09:17 AM by Louisiana99.)
10-27-2014 09:16 AM
NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

yeah. I think anybody in the belt would be thrilled to have either guy on their team. Not much downside to either guy.
10-27-2014 09:17 AM
eaglewraith Offline
Heisman

(10-27-2014 08:51 AM)bullitt_60 Wrote:  

Brieda is a sub-4.4 guy as well. You'll get to see on Thursday.

Don't quote me on this, but I think Breida is faster than the 10.7 he ran in high school as a junior in the 100 meter too.

He should be able to pick up a step or so with good conditioning and speed drills.
(This post was last modified: 10-27-2014 09:56 AM by eaglewraith.)
10-27-2014 09:55 AM
Louisiana99 Offline
All American

Once you are that fast, you are fast enough. Plenty of fast guys don't do squat from the RB position. Give me a guy with vision and balance and I'll take a 4.5 or 4.55 all day long. Speed does nothing if you don't follow and set up your blocks or if you are brought down by the first arm tackle.
10-27-2014 10:12 AM
Crump1 Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte
This is always such a subjective thing. RBs are usually a lot easier to find than DL, OL, LB, etc. and who is to say that other RBs wouldn't produce the same results if put in a given offense behind a particular offensive line?

Being the Ga So RB is a great situation because of their offensive style and having the threat of so many potential ball carriers on any given play. Being the "big play" back for ULL is a great spot with Harris drawing defenders in the box and Broadway having decent mobility. The same is true for ASU with the threat that the QB could keep it and take it to the house on any given play or McKissic may come across in motion and pull defenders out of the box.

I don't think you could go wrong with any of the three and all three benefit from their supporting cast, especially at QB.
10-27-2014 10:18 AM
Advertisement

CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns
The mention of McGuire being bothered by turf toe makes me think of that run to the sideline against Texas Southern. The defenders when flying out of bounds while McGuire put on the brakes and then dashed to end zone. To add insult to injury, he sidestepped another TxState defender who came flying by before going for the score.

He's got game.
10-27-2014 10:19 AM
str8shooter Offline
Bench Warmer

Pretty much the same time as Breida.
10-27-2014 10:24 AM
Crump1 Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte
Michael Gordon runs a 3.9
10-27-2014 10:33 AM
CatMom Online
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
I kinda feel it's according to the O you run and the type back within that O. How he (or they) is/are utilized.

Franks is our downhill runner. He clocks a 4.3 40 and that showed vs Idaho.
Lowe is our power back, with finesse
Gay is our bruiser back (aka FB)
Best is a converted RB who now is listed as a WR.

We use them all so no one back gets featured...ie: situational/specialties. The OLine also helps and ULL has a big (and good) OLine to open up the lanes.

Franks is listed #1 as the top single game rushing yards for FBS so that's something, at least.
10-27-2014 10:35 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.