Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Which Sun Belt team beats Georgia Southern in 2014?
This poll is closed.
Idaho 3.67% 4 3.67%
@Georgia State 10.09% 11 10.09%
Troy 1.83% 2 1.83%
@Texas State 47.71% 52 47.71%
UL Monroe 11.01% 12 11.01%
No one! Georgia Southern Wins Out! 25.69% 28 25.69%
Total 109 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Who in the Sun Belt Beats Georgia Southern?
Bookmark and Share
DoubleAggie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
The Aggies had their shot, but didn't get it done against the Eagles.
Who's gonna do it? Or do the Eagles run the table?
If so, unless someone else goes undefeated, will there be an asterisk, not by GS name, but by the second place 'official champions' name?
Is GS eligible for post season?
If not, do they get punch and cookies by the creek?

We saw GS' strengths and weaknesses.
They're not perfect by any means, but they certainly are good enough to win out.
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2014 10:43 AM by DoubleAggie.)
10-06-2014 10:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
RE: Who in the Sun Belt Beats Georgia Southern?
They are eligable to be conference champs.

They are nowl eligable but can only go if all other 6-6 teams are picked and there are still spots left.

I think TXST has a good shot at beating them in San Marcos. ULM will be tough too. Plus it'll be interesting to see what GSU can do to them in Atlanta with a high powered offense.
10-06-2014 10:41 AM
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
(10-06-2014 10:35 AM)DoubleAggie Wrote:  The Aggies had their shot, but didn't get it done against the Eagles.
Who's gonna do it? Or do the Eagles run the table?
If so, unless someone else does, will there be an asterisk, not by GS name, but by the second place 'official champions' name?
Is GS eligible for post season?
If not, do they get punch and cookies by the creek?

We saw GS' strengths and weaknesses.
They're not perfect by any means, but they certainly are good enough to win out.

GS is eligible for the Sun Belt Championship so no asterisk.
But unless no other teams are available GS is not Bowl eligible.

As far as will anyone beat us from what I have seen so far it is certainly possible but in conference play we have Idaho, Troy and ULM at home so I have to give us edge in those games. GSU scares me but I think we pull that one out so if I were a betting man I would say that Tex St has the best chance of beating us down the stretch.
10-06-2014 10:43 AM
Eaglessoar2014 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: GSU Eagles
Any team team left on the schedule has the ability to beat Georgia Southern.
The team I'm most worried about is Idaho. Why? Their the next one on the schedule.
One game at a time. It's impossible to say we will win or lose out.
We're thin when it comes to depth. If we have a couple of key players go down on either side of the ball that would/could have a devastating effect on our team.
With that being said, here's my two cents.
If we can stay away from the injury bug and play like we've played up to this point. We could possibly win out.
Like I said..... One game at a time.. Oh, the Aggies will find out next year, if you're on or schedule, how traveling across two time zones and playing in a different atmosphere effects you.
You better pray you don't come to South Georgia in September for a 12:00/noon kickoff. Just saying........
10-06-2014 10:57 AM
NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

I Root For: Ga Southern
I'm glad we have a BYE before the Ga State game. Get us nice and rested, and will give us some extra time to game plan on defense. We should win that by a couple scores.

I don't see us losing at home to Idaho.

ULM will be an interesting game depending on how games between now and then go. If we win out until that point, I think we draw extra fans for thanksgiving weekend that we wouldn't have otherwise drawn if we aren't in contention for the title.

I think TXST has the best shot at beating us though, but as a homer, I am predicting we win out. lol
10-06-2014 10:59 AM
JoeJag Online
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
Texas State probably does have the best chance of beating GaSo since it will be played in San Marcos, but do not think it will happen. This GS bunch is just a solid football team.
10-06-2014 11:02 AM
Advertisement

Higher Education Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Legality
At basketball? EVERYONE.
10-06-2014 11:08 AM
JSinLR Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Arkansas State
Ga Southern is sitting pretty right now.

They "should" win their next 4 games (NMSU, ID, Ga St, & Troy) and be sitting at 8-2. With the way their schedule has played out (early big win vs. USA out of the way and 4 teams that have not found themselves yet, up next) they should have a ton of momentum and confidence going into the last 3 games of the year that should be a little tougher.

No doubt ULM, Navy and TX St should give them some trouble but when you are sitting at 8-2 you have some confidence that just motivates you to continue to succeed.

I can see Ga Southern winning out but one slip up and they could easily derail too (especially if they lose to one of the next 4 opponents). Once one team figures out how to slow their offense down, others will learn and the going will get tougher.

I just don't see that happening...the last 3 games for the Eagles will tell if they are for real or not, until then expect Ga Southern to keep rolling.

Now the interesting thing is..if either UL, or AstAte go undefeated in conference (Ga So does not face UL or AstAte) then we will have co-champs and no way to decide the clear winner. AstAte (@UL, USA, @TX St) and UL (@TX ST, AstAte, USA, @ULM) have harder paths than GaSo in the next few weeks. (I only listed teams that appear to be contenders at this point).

TX St still has a chance to go undefeated but appears to have the toughest schedule left (UL, @ULM, GA SO, @USA and AstAte)...they are gonna lose somewhere in that schedule. But Tx St gets all the current undefeated teams at home. Since they and Ga So do meet in a few weeks, if TX St wins it ends a threat of two undefeated teams at the end of year.
10-06-2014 11:14 AM
eaglemachine Offline
Bench Warmer

(10-06-2014 11:08 AM)Higher Education Wrote:  At basketball? EVERYONE.

hahhaha....funny because it's true :(
10-06-2014 11:16 AM
NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

(10-06-2014 11:14 AM)JSinLR Wrote:  Ga Southern is sitting pretty right now.

They "should" win their next 4 games (NMSU, ID, Ga St, & Troy) and be sitting at 8-2. With the way their schedule has played out (early big win vs. USA out of the way and 4 teams that have not found themselves yet, up next) they should have a ton of momentum and confidence going into the last 3 games of the year that should be a little tougher.

No doubt ULM, Navy and TX St should give them some trouble but when you are sitting at 8-2 you have some confidence that just motivates you to continue to succeed.

I can see Ga Southern winning out but one slip up and they could easily derail too (especially if they lose to one of the next 4 opponents). Once one team figures out how to slow their offense down, others will learn and the going will get tougher.

I just don't see that happening...the last 3 games for the Eagles will tell if they are for real or not, until then expect Ga Southern to keep rolling.

Now the interesting thing is..if either UL, or AstAte go undefeated in conference (Ga So does not face UL or AstAte) then we will have co-champs and no way to decide the clear winner. AstAte (@UL, USA, @TX St) and UL (@TX ST, AstAte, USA, @ULM) have harder paths than GaSo in the next few weeks. (I only listed teams that appear to be contenders at this point).

TX St still has a chance to go undefeated but appears to have the toughest schedule left (UL, @ULM, GA SO, @USA and AstAte)...they are gonna lose somewhere in that schedule. But Tx St gets all the current undefeated teams at home. Since they and Ga So do meet in a few weeks, if TX St wins it ends a threat of two undefeated teams at the end of year.

Hopefully we can pull out that win against NMSU03-lmfao
10-06-2014 11:17 AM
Crump1 Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte
ULM has the defense if healthy to beat Ga So. but their offense is awful.
10-06-2014 11:19 AM
Advertisement

augustis13 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: georgia state
On the road they could be beat, but I don't see any Sunbelt team beating them at home. They have the best home field advantage in the conference..And unfortunately, the GaSt game will be a defacto home game for GaSo..They will bring a huge crowd to Atlanta and have a large alumni base living in the metro area..Texas State and Navy are both going to be tough..The SBC needs GaSo to beat Navy..
10-06-2014 11:23 AM
eaglewraith Online
Heisman

(10-06-2014 11:16 AM)eaglemachine Wrote:  
(10-06-2014 11:08 AM)Higher Education Wrote:  At basketball? EVERYONE.

hahhaha....funny because it's true :(

I'm expecting a turnaround this year...also a chance we get Eric Ferguson back.

We have a team that can be competitive.
10-06-2014 11:27 AM
bamaEagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: GS Eagles
Every team we have left on the schedule can beat us. Will they? No, but they can. I see Texas St and ULM as the biggest threats. If GaSt's offensive line comes to play then they have a chance. Since Troy's coach is officially on the farewell tour, I could see them playing fired up for the rest of the season.
10-06-2014 11:29 AM
Eagle's Cliff Offline
1st String

We're not bad, but this is the weakest GS team the SBC will see for a while so get your shots while you can. We lack depth on defense and NMSU exposed what most of us already knew.
10-06-2014 11:39 AM
SkullyMaroo Offline

I Root For: South Alabama
(10-06-2014 11:39 AM)Eagles Cliff Wrote:  We're not bad, but this is the weakest GS team the SBC will see for a while so get your shots while you can. We lack depth on defense and NMSU exposed what most of us already knew.

Pardon me for my ignorance, but I thought Georgia Southern had a large senior class this season (maybe it's 17)? I know that you will be adding scholarship players, but most teams have a slight drop off when they lose that many people.
10-06-2014 11:56 AM
Advertisement

Eagle22 Offline
Special Teams

We have 19 seniors. Without a doubt, we will have some growing pains next year across the offensive line as we plug in some underclassmen who are talented but certainly don't have the depth of playing time as a unit under their belt. We lose a couple of seniors in the defensive secondary, one at LB, a bit of backup depth at RB, one DL and two WR's who play a bunch but split time and have capable backups.

We're getting a lot of underclassmen playing time with the exception of our offensive line (exception also of the Savannah St. game when everyone dressed played). This IMO has been a byproduct of the type of games we've been in, and hopefully they get some more seasoning as the year rolls on. We are really in a better position than usual for us when you look at skill players (RB, QB, WR's) on the offensive side compared to previous seasons.
10-06-2014 12:04 PM
Pike51 Offline
2nd String

(10-06-2014 11:56 AM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  
(10-06-2014 11:39 AM)Eagles Cliff Wrote:  We're not bad, but this is the weakest GS team the SBC will see for a while so get your shots while you can. We lack depth on defense and NMSU exposed what most of us already knew.

Pardon me for my ignorance, but I thought Georgia Southern had a large senior class this season (maybe it's 17)? I know that you will be adding scholarship players, but most teams have a slight drop off when they lose that many people.

The biggest loss for GS this coming year will be the veteran OL. But keep in mind, these current guys were recruited to play a different system. The guys behind them are geared more towards the current system, are bigger, and should be able to step right in and perform at a high level. They are also getting reps in games on a regular basis.

Aside from that, I think you'll see continued improvement at every position on the field plus our QB's are all underclassmen. Reload vs Rebuild.
10-06-2014 12:05 PM
GaSouthern Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Georgia So.
I think Texas St will be our biggest in conference challenge but any team remaining is capable of beating us IMO
10-06-2014 12:11 PM
The4thOption Offline
1st String

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
I'll tell you that after the way played Saturday... EVERYBODY on the schedule scares me.

I'm concerned with our play calling. Can't understand why we keep throwing the ball when we are gashing a defense on the ground. If we continue to put ourselves behind the chains and in 3rd and long situations, we are going to be punting a lot. And in the red zone we need help. We COULD pound the ball in, but or some reason keep risking turnovers, no gains and calls that say we are out of bounds. Settling for 3 is going to get us beat if we aren't careful.

GAST is improving in leaps and bounds and I'm not sure we are going to be able stop them from scoring. If we go 3 and out a few times, it could be the worse day in Southern History. - Although I do expect to have a couple of picks and some sacks in that game.

Idaho has to be very improved as the close game with TX state shows.

TX State has looked dang good to me - THIS is going to be a tough one.

Troy: Who knows, I'm afraid they come out on all cylinders for once this season and shock us.

ULM - TONS of respect for this team, Hopefully the home crowd gives us an edge, we are going to need it. And if we are unbeaten going into this final game - The Conference title (or at least a share of it) will be on the line, which should give everybody - Team and fans something to reach down further for.

In short: I'm worried. But as I once heard said - "That's Good to be worried or nervous - because that means you have something to lose". Right now, we have the conference title within reach - still got something lose. Here's to getting more nervous each week! 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2014 12:36 PM by The4thOption.)
10-06-2014 12:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.