Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Road win thoughts
Bookmark and Share
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
Road win thoughts
it is always good to get a conference road win.
Albany was a paper lion as suspected. Their program just doesn't have the players yet as they are transitioning to a better conference.

The Dukes relied on the run more than ever this year, but the RB rotation made no sense. If #32 was healthy, why did Latney and Miller get all the action until late in the first half?

Despite matching their season average of 5 yards per rush, the JMU O-line is an enigma. Albany was completely overmatched at the line of scrimmage, yet the number of whiff blocks was discouraging. We should have seen more of the steamrolling that occurred at Lehigh. I saw different dudes out there last night a varying times of the game.

Reducing Lee's pass attempts to 23 was a critical factor in making the offense more effective. He threw some more craptastic head scratchers yesterday that make you wonder what he is thinking. It isn't just the bad physical throws that he makes, it is also the donkey prayers he heaves when feeling even the slightest bit of pressure.

Sage Harold had another good game and is far more valuable lining up as a Defensive end than being out of position as an OLB in the 3-4.
Withers still is going back and forth between the alignments, but the evidence is irrefutable. The 3-4 with JMU's current roster is not going to work.
10-05-2014 08:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JMUNation Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU
RE: Road win thoughts
Albany was portrayed by many as a running team that did not throw the ball well. Well, their QB sure had a good night throwing the ball last evening. We kept one 2nd half TD drive alive with a pass interference call. All in all, I was pleased our defense did not give up more points with Marlowe out of the line up. Speaking of him, there is no way he should have been ejected from the game. Call the penalty but an ejection? That was a total over reaction to the penalty. I felt the officiating was poor last evening.

Withers is going to have to find better secondary personnel. I hope he is focusing his recruiting efforts on doing so. I hate that Stallings (LB) is still hurt. Must have been one heck of a concussion. He was really starting to play well when he went out of the Nova game. Now that we have Gage back full time, I would like to see him and Stallings together. Both are young and will have two more years together.

Great goal line stand last evening too. Any road win is a good one especially when it is cold and rainy early in the season. The guys could not have been prepared for that last night. Albany is a better team than many are giving them credit for being. A home win next Saturday again Towson and the boys should be feeling pretty good during their bye week.
10-05-2014 10:42 AM
DooX Offline
1st String

KA looks like our best back right now. If he's healthy I don't see why he shouldn't be getting the bulk of the carries. Maybe the coaches are trying to protect him since he was dinged earlier in the year? It's one thing to have situational RBs, but I've never been a fan of the platoon approach.

One thing about Lee running, is it just me or does it seem like he runs right into tackles sometimes? I know it's easy to second guess when you can watch a replay and see how it develops but it seems like there were a number of times when there was one defender between Lee and a potentially huge run and he runs right into the guy.
10-05-2014 11:03 AM
Advertisement

DoubleDDuke Offline
Heisman

KA is by far our best back. I did notice he had his ankle wrapped last evening so maybe there's an issue there but when he got the ball he looked like he was at full speed so I really don't know. I don't get it either. Giving the ball to Latney is like watching a football play in slow motion. It's not effective except maybe in short yardage situations as he's a pretty big guy. Other than that, you're just leaving points on the board with him in there. I have no idea what the thinking is on this RB rotation right now. I guess the eyeballs of the staff and mine are way off because there's a noticeable difference in the way the offense operates when Abdullah is in the game.
10-05-2014 04:32 PM
Dukeman Offline
Special Teams

Great goal line stand last evening too. Any road win is a good one especially when it is cold and rainy early in the season. The guys could not have been prepared for that last night. Albany is a better team than many are giving them credit for being. A home win next Saturday again Towson and the boys should be feeling pretty good during their bye week.
[/quote]

Aren't you the same poster that said the Lehigh (0-4) win would be seen as a quality win?
10-05-2014 07:28 PM
Advertisement

JMUNation Offline
All American

History indicated Lehigh would be. This season indicates that it is not.

Latney is a big back and can soften defenses with his pounding running style. He would have scored in OT against UD. He fell forward for additional yardage every time gainst Albany on Saturday where as KA and the other backs were stopped dead in their tracks every time UD hit them. KA and the rest have better break away speed and are more elusive. When you need two yards, Latney should be in there.

I don't know why folks are complaining about our RB situation. We are the leading rushing team in the CAA. KA and Co. are too small to take the hits of being the exclusive back, which is why all three have been injured. Had we not had the depth we do, injuries would have been a huge problem for JMU this year.
10-06-2014 07:51 AM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

I've complained a lot and been pretty pessimistic the 1st 5 games, and I don't complain about officiating much, but it SUCKED on Sat. With good officiating JMU wins 28 or 35 to 14 and people are talking about how the team finally played a good game on both sides of the ball...
10-06-2014 08:14 AM
Advertisement

ShadyP Offline
Heisman

Anytime you win in conference on the road it is a good thing. We all know the CAA officiating is sketchy at best and it always seems like to me that JMU gets the sh**y end of the stick when it comes to CAA officials. Not sure why that is, but it seems that way.
10-06-2014 08:24 AM
Smokey 1 Offline
2nd String

The annoucers on their video stream were really annoying. First it was all "Vad Lee" this or "Vad Lee" that like he is the only player with talent on the team. Then they kept carping on one of the questionable officiating calls that went against Albany like they were being robbed while ignoring the bad call on the fumble that was called an incomplete pass. If that play was called correctly that would have been a 14 point swing in the Dukes favor.
10-06-2014 08:31 AM
Advertisement

PurpleStreamers Offline
1st String

I Root For: Dukes
Yeah, the earlier comment knocking the JMU secondary would've been a lot different if Marlowe wasn't ejected early on some BS. CAA's not the only conference with hideous officiating right now as anyone who follows the PAC12 can tell you.
10-06-2014 09:25 AM
JMU_71 Offline
1st String

(10-06-2014 09:25 AM)PurpleStreamers Wrote:  Yeah, the earlier comment knocking the JMU secondary would've been a lot different if Marlowe wasn't ejected early on some BS. CAA's not the only conference with hideous officiating right now as anyone who follows the PAC12 can tell you.

Or the missed facemask in the Ole Miss v. Bama game. Bama got a junk TD at the end of the first half when Ole Miss's RB was facemasked and fumbled the ball as a result.
10-06-2014 09:50 AM
jmufan2008 Offline
All American

I Root For: The Dukes
(10-06-2014 09:50 AM)JMU_71 Wrote:  
(10-06-2014 09:25 AM)PurpleStreamers Wrote:  Yeah, the earlier comment knocking the JMU secondary would've been a lot different if Marlowe wasn't ejected early on some BS. CAA's not the only conference with hideous officiating right now as anyone who follows the PAC12 can tell you.

Or the missed facemask in the Ole Miss v. Bama game. Bama got a junk TD at the end of the first half when Ole Miss's RB was facemasked and fumbled the ball as a result.

Saw the replay of that after the game. That was AWFUL. I thought, "so that called that back, right?" Nope.
10-06-2014 10:01 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.