Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Reflecting on Week 5/Looking Forward to Week 6...
Bookmark and Share
RamblinRedWolf44 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas StAte
Reflecting on Week 5/Looking Forward to Week 6...
Week 5:
- I was 4-1 for the week, picking Georgia Southern, ULM, LSU and Texas State correctly and getting the South AL/Idaho game wrong.

-Really thought Vandals would've had a little bit more fight at home, but credit to the Jags; despite the 8 1/2 hour flight and past anemic performances by the offense, they came out and took care of business to right the ship.

-Georgia Southern...hats off to ya, very impressive showing on national TV and first league game. Keep your head up Mountaineers, I have no doubt you'll be in the thick of the conference before we know it.

-New Mexico State...I was correct in saying you'd have more total yards than ULM did against LSU.

-I gotta say Bobcats...really thought you were about to blow yet another big lead on the road, especially when Tulsa scored on 4th down to send the game into overtime. However, way to persevere and get the Belt a much needed OOC win!

-Lastly for the ULM/Troy game, once again just goes to show...whether you're 4-0 or 0-4, you can never truly count out a sunbelt team against a sunbelt team; Warhawks very fortunate to limp out of the game with 'W'.

WEEK 6 Thoughts:
Our first week with a full conference slate! And we've got some pretty intriguing match-ups:
**ULM @ Arkansas State
**USA @ App State
**Georgia State @ La-La
**Idaho @ Texas State
**Georgia Southern @ NMSU
** Troy is only SBC team on a BYE

1) Monroe's victory over Troy, while clutch, was also costly-they lost stud CBs Lenzy Pipkins and Trey Caldwell. No doubt will be interesting to see if Red Wolves will exploit the watered down secondary coverage. Coming into this game, ULM has been giving up an average of 211 passing yards a game. (One other not of interest-Arkansas State has won 10 out of the last 11 Homecoming games, with the lone lost coming from Louisville in 2010).

2) The Eagles of Georgia Southern are on cloud 9 and currently are the darlings of the 'Belt. Georgia Southern will bring their Number One in the nation rushing attack into Las Crus for their first league game on the road. The Aggies have been giving up an average of 312 yards on the ground a game and if the NMSU hopes to have any chance in this game has got to keep the Eagles in check and limit their possessions.

3) Georgia State and Louisiana Lafayette both are coming into this game fresh off their BYES from the previous week. Despite a 1-3 start so far, the Panthers have been an intriguing team, showing a lot more fight and competitiveness than the previous season, and were within one or two more plays of being 1-0 in conference instead of 0-1. Still, lost is a lost and GSU is already in desperation mode, which may not be a bad thing. The Cajuns, who were overwhelming favorites and preseason darlings, have had a shockingly bad start to the season and in a way are also in desperation mode, looking to right their 14 season fast. I'm still inclined to lean towards La-La, but Cajuns shouldnt be overlooking anybody at this point.

4) The Jaguars and Mountaineers are both squads that have had stumbling starts to the 2014 season, and both took it square in the face against Georgia Southern. Though the Mountaineers have been the more productive team, they only have a blow out win to the Campbell Camels to show for their productivity, while Jaguars appear to have straightened out their offensive woes with an impressive and dominant performance at Idaho. This will be App's first league game to host at home and i'm curious if the Mountaineer faithful will show up for the historic game for their program. On the flip side, can South Al duplicate their road warrior ways on the opposite side of the country?

5) Vandals, Vandals, Vandals...just when I think you will finally make a statement and show you're ready for the turn around, you fall flat on your faces and go back to square one. You run for only 30 yards AT home last week (not even averaging 1 YARD A CARRY), Matt Linehan throws two picks (including one returned 59 yards for a TD) and now you carry your 0-4 record to San Marcos. Texas State, while almost blowing it, gets a fantastic win on the road against Tulsa, and I suspect this win will start catapulting the Bobcats into the conference title race. The Bobcats have been averaging nearly 40 points a game and I don't suspect the Vandals will do anything to hamper that average.
(This post was last modified: 09-28-2014 03:14 PM by RamblinRedWolf44.)
09-28-2014 03:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

sidslidkid Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ga Southern
RE: Reflecting on Week 5/Looking Forward to Week 6...
(09-28-2014 03:14 PM)RamblinRedWolf44 Wrote:  2) The Eagles of Georgia Southern are on cloud 9 and currently are the darlings of the 'Belt. Georgia Southern will bring their Number One in the nation rushing attack into Las Crus for their first league game on the road. The Aggies have been giving up an average of 312 yards on the ground a game and if the NMSU hopes to have any chance in this game has got to keep the Eagles in check and limit their possessions.

We went to Mobile for the USA game. Good write up though. Agreed with just about everything.
(This post was last modified: 09-28-2014 03:31 PM by sidslidkid.)
09-28-2014 03:21 PM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: App State
Boone high of 60 10% chance of rain next weekend. If that stays the course, expect 28-30k at App this weekend.
(This post was last modified: 09-28-2014 03:26 PM by Saint3333.)
09-28-2014 03:26 PM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
(09-28-2014 03:26 PM)Saint3333 Wrote:  Boone high of 60 10% chance of rain next weekend. If that stays the course, expect 28-30k at App this weekend.

Damn, that's almost PERFECT weather (only way it could be better is if it was 0% chance of rain).

Of all the schools we play, I am most excited about heading to Boone.
09-28-2014 03:34 PM
Advertisement

ManOnABuffalo Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Appalachian St.
(09-28-2014 03:14 PM)RamblinRedWolf44 Wrote:  4) The Jaguars and Mountaineers are both squads that have had stumbling starts to the 2014 season, and both took it square in the face against Georgia Southern. Though the Mountaineers have been the more productive team, they only have a blow out win to the Campbell Camels to show for their productivity, while Jaguars appear to have straightened out their offensive woes with an impressive and dominant performance at Idaho. This will be App's first league game to host at home and i'm curious if the Mountaineer faithful will show up for the historic game for their program. On the flip side, can South Al duplicate their road warrior ways on the opposite side of the country?

All indications leading to 28K plus will be in attendance, KBS is a interesting place to play as a visiting team. Although this has faded in recent years the home field advantage is big. Overall record at KBS is 215–63–5 and at one point had a 30 game home winning streak. The design and geography of the stadium make 28,000 fans sound like 40k. I'm looking forward to seeing this App State team establishing a new home winning streak.
09-28-2014 03:49 PM
ManOnABuffalo Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Appalachian St.
(09-28-2014 03:34 PM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  
(09-28-2014 03:26 PM)Saint3333 Wrote:  Boone high of 60 10% chance of rain next weekend. If that stays the course, expect 28-30k at App this weekend.

Damn, that's almost PERFECT weather (only way it could be better is if it was 0% chance of rain).

Of all the schools we play, I am most excited about heading to Boone.

I'm looking forward to a trip to San Marcos, I have friends with a ranch about an hour our of town and I am already making plans for when that happens.
09-28-2014 03:51 PM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: App State
Boone in October to watch football is my favorite spot on earth.
09-28-2014 04:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.