Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT - JMU grads on Shark Tank - 9/26 8pm
Bookmark and Share
Deez Nuts Offline
Moderator. Go Dukes!

I Root For: the Dukes
Mentioned in today's DNR is a great story about 2 JMU Grads (Bill Shuey and Kyle Byrd) who will appear on ABC's Shark Tank at 8pm tomorrow/Friday. I don't have the article in front of me but the 2 came up with an idea for a device that charges your cell phone over WiFi, and already have prototypes & contracts out there. Have to tune in to the show for more info. Based on what I read in the paper today, it sounds like 2 JMU millionaires in the making. I set my DVR.

Idea was conceived at Billy Jacks... I should probably be down there doing some brainstorming right now myself.
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2014 09:31 PM by Deez Nuts.)
09-25-2014 09:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

jmutoml757 Offline
All American

I Root For: jmu
RE: OT - JMU grads on Shark Tank - 9/26 8pm
(09-25-2014 09:29 PM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  Mentioned in today's DNR is a great story about 2 JMU Grads (Bill Shuey and Kyle Byrd) who will appear on ABC's Shark Tank at 8pm tomorrow/Friday. I don't have the article in front of me but the 2 came up with an idea for a device that charges your cell phone over WiFi, and already have prototypes & contracts out there. Have to tune in to the show for more info. Based on what I read in the paper today, it sounds like 2 JMU millionaires in the making. I set my DVR.

Idea was conceived at Billy Jacks... I should probably be down there doing some brainstorming right now myself.

Could be very on-topic if they make a billion and it trickles down to JMU sports. 04-cheers
09-25-2014 10:05 PM
JMU85 Offline
All American

I Root For: The Dukes of JMU
(09-25-2014 09:29 PM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  Mentioned in today's DNR is a great story about 2 JMU Grads (Bill Shuey and Kyle Byrd) who will appear on ABC's Shark Tank at 8pm tomorrow/Friday. I don't have the article in front of me but the 2 came up with an idea for a device that charges your cell phone over WiFi, and already have prototypes & contracts out there. Have to tune in to the show for more info. Based on what I read in the paper today, it sounds like 2 JMU millionaires in the making. I set my DVR.

Or brain cell killing.
09-26-2014 12:38 PM
Deez Nuts Offline
Moderator. Go Dukes!

I Root For: the Dukes
^^^ Someone's not familiar with The Buffalo Theory
09-26-2014 02:34 PM
Dukesfan71 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU Dukes
That did not go well. I give them credit for trying. Hope they can make it work outside of the Shark Tank.
09-26-2014 07:46 PM
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
Called the worst idea ever.

Ouch

I think hazed is on shark tank.
09-26-2014 07:51 PM
Advertisement

Sax Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: James Madison
That was a horrible idea...why'd they have to say our name on national tv?!
09-26-2014 08:00 PM
jmufan2008 Offline
All American

I Root For: The Dukes
I can't access DNR, so I can't see whether your synopsis was wrong Deez or whether the article was wrong. I was really excited about the wifi charging. What was presented was completely different and not that great of an idea.
09-26-2014 08:12 PM
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

Yea.
Once I saw the 5 different chords, it looked pretty bad. I thought it was something that you accessed thru an app and got charging thru wifi.

Probably not technically possible, yet.
09-26-2014 08:14 PM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

The OP by Deez was misleading, as this was not a wifi charging solution. I was disappointed with what I saw them unveil and the sharks did have validate points except for one.
I've seen a small few scenes of this show and even I have seen far worse ideas unveiled on this show than that. I know they're supposed to be over dramatic on the season premiere, but give me a break.
09-26-2014 08:35 PM
JMU2014 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: JMU
Charging over wifi? What?

This is actually a pretty good idea for bars, clubs, restaurants, etc. If someone's phone is running low, instead of leaving the bar, they find one of these and plug it up. The little compartment for each phone is locked and can only be opened with that person's fingerprint. People on this board joke all the time that one of the reasons students leave games early is because "their phones are dying." Well phones die all the time and if bars offered a place to charge phones securely, people would not have to leave to charge them. This would be a hit in places that cater to young people (college bars, hangouts, etc.)
09-26-2014 08:55 PM
Advertisement

JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

Nah... Dumb idea. No bar is investing 2 grand in this. They could go buy power strips and chargers for $100 and run the chords do a locked drawer.

Or invest charging pads for each table.

All are well under the $2000 cost tagged to Amber. Sales are all about margin. 50% margin pre revenue we'll never work in VC arenas.
09-26-2014 09:03 PM
Mad victory Offline
1st String

Awww bill shuey was my tenant for the last three years in Fox Hill. He has been working hard on this, wish he had gone into the tank with a bit more of his game together. But hey it's reality tv they have to dog a few folks to keep up appearances. Chin up Bill. Kudos for putting yourself out there.
09-27-2014 09:37 AM
DoubleDDuke Offline
Heisman

It's a terrible idea. The technology for fingerprint scanning wouldn't work at all like the one guy said. There is no marketability for this at all. Starbucks is putting in tables where you set your phone on them and it charges the phone. That is an idea. This would be a disaster.
09-27-2014 11:56 AM
JMUETC Offline
1st String

The idea is sound. A secure place to charge your phone that does not require you to sit there and watch it (Bars, airports, stadiums) but it is impossible to make the numbers work as they pointed out.

I must say though, I have never seen them grill anyone like these guys got grilled. One guy called it the worst idea he had ever heard. I find that a bit hard to believe.
09-27-2014 12:01 PM
DoubleDDuke Offline
Heisman

(09-27-2014 12:01 PM)JMUETC Wrote:  The idea is sound. A secure place to charge your phone that does not require you to sit there and watch it (Bars, airports, stadiums) but it is impossible to make the numbers work as they pointed out.

I must say though, I have never seen them grill anyone like these guys got grilled. One guy called it the worst idea he had ever heard. I find that a bit hard to believe.

People hang onto their phones these days like a wallet. People would not trust putting their phone in that thing for one second. These guys were talking about putting them at festivals. As Cuban pointed out, that is idiotic. You ever been to a festival? People walking around all grungy and drunk and trying to deal with these things? It's a disastrous idea. Can you imagine some drunk guy at a festival not able to get his phone out of this thing because the fingerprint reader isn't working? Can you imagine the liability? They didn't even get around to the technology around fingerprints. The biggest companies in the world struggle with this not only from a bio metric standpoint but just think about things like "Where is the back end storing a fingerprint?". Is it secured and how so. What's the infrastructure and C&A behind that? What's the liability insurance for WHEN - not if - somebody cracks it? I could go on and on but these guys didn't know what the hell they were getting into. There's a hundred things they hadn't even thought about.
09-27-2014 02:01 PM
Advertisement

JMUDunk Online
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
Hunh. guess I can clear my DVR...
09-27-2014 02:17 PM
JMU85 Offline
All American

I Root For: The Dukes of JMU
(09-27-2014 02:17 PM)JMUDunk Wrote:  Hunh. guess I can clear my DVR...

Yup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
09-27-2014 05:43 PM
JMUETC Offline
1st String

(09-27-2014 02:01 PM)DoubleDDuke Wrote:  
(09-27-2014 12:01 PM)JMUETC Wrote:  The idea is sound. A secure place to charge your phone that does not require you to sit there and watch it (Bars, airports, stadiums) but it is impossible to make the numbers work as they pointed out.

People hang onto their phones these days like a wallet. People would not trust putting their phone in that thing for one second. These guys were talking about putting them at festivals. As Cuban pointed out, that is idiotic. You ever been to a festival? People walking around all grungy and drunk and trying to deal with these things? It's a disastrous idea. Can you imagine some drunk guy at a festival not able to get his phone out of this thing because the fingerprint reader isn't working? Can you imagine the liability? They didn't even get around to the technology around fingerprints. The biggest companies in the world struggle with this not only from a bio metric standpoint but just think about things like "Where is the back end storing a fingerprint?". Is it secured and how so. What's the infrastructure and C&A behind that? What's the liability insurance for WHEN - not if - somebody cracks it? I could go on and on but these guys didn't know what the hell they were getting into. There's a hundred things they hadn't even thought about.

I watched the show. My point is there are many places where I would love to securely park my phone to charge for 1/2 hour. I would even pay for it. Agree that the technology/cost piece is not there, but that doesn't make it a bad idea.

I was at a baseball game in San Fran last year. After working all day and draining my battery I jumped in a cab to the stadium. After the first inning I realized my battery was almost dead. I had the opportunity to charge it for free at a stand but it would require me to sit in the concorse while the game went on. Would have loved to be able to securely charge my phone for a couple innings while I went back to my seat and watched the game. Same thing happened a week ago at a bar while I watched the Nats clinch. Bartender would charge my phone for me, which I certainly understand. Would have loved to charge my phone securely for a bit.

You said its a terrible idea. I think it's a good idea where some major issues need to be figured out. Of course, by the time they are worked out the issue may be solved another way. Chargers at every table/seat, charging pads, wireless electricity, etc.
09-27-2014 09:20 PM
DoubleDDuke Offline
Heisman

It's not profitable. Nobody is going to go to a bar because they have this thing. Yeah, if it actually worked - which it wouldn't - it'd be nice for the patron but it's not moving the needle for any bar or festival or whatever so there's just no sales pitch.
09-28-2014 12:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.