Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CBS Sports bowl projections (9/22) have 4 SB teams in bowls
Bookmark and Share
GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Ga Southern
CBS Sports bowl projections (9/22) have 4 SB teams in bowls
GoDaddy: Bowling Green vs. South Alabama
Armed Forces: Houston vs. ULM (Obviously they don't feel Army will be bowl eligible)
Camelia: Toledo vs. Arkansas St.
New Orleans: San Diego St. vs. Louisiana
09-22-2014 09:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

gasoutherneagle Offline
2nd String

I Root For: REALLY?!?!
RE: CBS Sports bowl projections (9/22) have 4 SB teams in bowls
I still believe if Georgia Southern can win the Belt, NCAA would be forced into a bowl waiver.

It's just too good a "good feeling. underdog-done-good" story (should it happen) and a publicity positive for a NCAA that could really use BOTH.

Whereas, denying them the bid would be a more-of-the-same NCAA move... Withholding the reward of overachieving.
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2014 08:14 AM by gasoutherneagle.)
09-23-2014 08:11 AM
Hail The Blue Offline
1st String

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
(09-23-2014 08:11 AM)gasoutherneagle Wrote:  I still believe if Georgia Southern can win the Belt, NCAA would be forced into a bowl waiver.

It's just too good a "good feeling. underdog-done-good" story (should it happen) and a publicity positive for a NCAA that could really use BOTH.

IF we were to win the belt, I think the only way we get a bowl bid is if there is a lack of bowl eligible teams. I don't think they do it out of the goodness of their hearts.
09-23-2014 08:15 AM
Advertisement

gasoutherneagle Offline
2nd String

I Root For: REALLY?!?!
(09-23-2014 08:15 AM)The Black Flag Wrote:  IF we were to win the belt, I think the only way we get a bowl bid is if there is a lack of bowl eligible teams. I don't think they do it out of the goodness of their hearts.

Agreed. But, they might do it under pressure from ESPN, or a bowl committee wanting to cash in on that "good-feeling" story (knowing Southern fans travel won't hurt either).

But, it is cart before the horse... I know. Just speculating.
09-23-2014 08:33 AM
InjunJohn Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: ULM
(09-23-2014 08:15 AM)The Black Flag Wrote:  
(09-23-2014 08:11 AM)gasoutherneagle Wrote:  I still believe if Georgia Southern can win the Belt, NCAA would be forced into a bowl waiver.

IF we were to win the belt, I think the only way we get a bowl bid is if there is a lack of bowl eligible teams. I don't think they do it out of the goodness of their hearts.

You are right...there could be no other teams that were bowl eligible. For Ga Sou to go, it would be the 5th waiver. Even teams that beat two FCS teams would go before Ga Sou. If the season holds to normal, 62% of teams in FBS will become bowl eligible (6 wins). That works out to be 79 teams needed for 76 bowl slots. Removing App St and Ga Sou (transition) and Idaho (ineligible), all the slots are field.
09-23-2014 09:17 AM
Advertisement

BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
(09-23-2014 08:15 AM)The Black Flag Wrote:  

UTSA finished 6-2 in CUSA last year, and was nearly in the CUSA championship game. Word was, even if UTSA had won CUSA they would not have been eligible for a bowl. IMO (and how the rules are currently laid out) the only way you get in is with not enough bowl eligible teams.
09-23-2014 09:25 AM
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
I just wish all this Georgia Southern in a bowl talk would go away. We have been playing well and IF we win the conference we would deserve to go BUT it is freaking week 5 people. Any talk of GS in a bowl just because we are currently playing well is so premature that it seems totally ridiculous to me. Win at least 6 more games and I will be right there with you but for now let's just play ball!

03-banghead
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2014 10:30 AM by Georgia_Power_Company.)
09-23-2014 10:29 AM
Advertisement

GSUNCSU Offline
2nd String

I Root For: GA SOUTHERN
(09-23-2014 10:29 AM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  I just wish all this Georgia Southern in a bowl talk would go away. We have been playing well and IF we win the conference we would deserve to go BUT it is freaking week 5 people. Any talk of GS in a bowl just because we are currently playing well is so premature that it seems totally ridiculous to me. Win at least 6 more games and I will be right there with you but for now let's just play ball!

03-banghead
True we are beginning to sound like thUGA in August and talk of an SEC Championship and the playoffs... And we know that fades away before the end of SEP and then they talk of firing Richt.
09-23-2014 03:33 PM
GATA Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: GA Southern
Still a lot of games left to play....let the rest take care of itself
09-23-2014 03:37 PM
Advertisement

trojanblood Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
My opinion....If Ga. Southern wins the conference they should be allowed to go to a bowl. They deserve it. GO TROY!
09-23-2014 06:57 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
(09-23-2014 06:57 PM)trojanblood Wrote:  My opinion....If Ga. Southern wins the conference they should be allowed to go to a bowl. They deserve it. GO TROY!

Yet they won't be unless things get very weird with the number of eligible teams.

It's not like this is anything new. UCA "won" the Southland in 2008 with a 10-2-0 record but were not allowed to claim the championship, or attend the playoffs because of the transition rules. Did they deserve the spoils? Yes. Did that matter? No. Is Georgia Southern more special than others? No.
09-23-2014 07:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.