Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thoughts on the SBC after week 2
Bookmark and Share
ManOnABuffalo Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Appalachian St.
Thoughts on the SBC after week 2
I know we have power rankings, but does anyone get the feeling this thing is totally wide open. The SBC does not have any dominate teams that have played in a way to look like the team to beat. We all had our early predictions that ULL or ArkSt would be the teams to beat, but they both look like totally winnable games for anyone. I hate to say it, but I for one think if GaSouth beats my Apps in Statesboro on Sept. 25th they will carry a lot of confidence into the bulk of their pretty easy SBC schedule. App State has been a thorn in the Eagle's sides in recent years and that could be the game to get them over the hump.

Discuss who we think will make noise as we ease into conference play or pull away from the pack.
09-09-2014 09:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
RE: Thoughts on the SBC after week 2
(09-09-2014 09:32 AM)ManOnABuffalo Wrote:  I know we have power rankings, but does anyone get the feeling this thing is totally wide open. The SBC does not have any dominate teams that have played in a way to look like the team to beat. We all had our early predictions that ULL or ArkSt would be the teams to beat, but they both look like totally winnable games for anyone. I hate to say it, but I for one think if GaSouth beats my Apps in Statesboro on Sept. 25th they will carry a lot of confidence into the bulk of their pretty easy SBC schedule. App State has been a thorn in the Eagle's sides in recent years and that could be the game to get them over the hump.

Discuss who we think will make noise as we ease into conference play or pull away from the pack.

Let's wait and see what we and StAte do at our ACC games.
09-09-2014 09:37 AM
trueeagle98 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GS Eagles
Was really pulling for UL to make a run at a top 25 spot this year, but that's pretty much shot now. They'd have to run the table now.

stAte is looking pretty good, even with the loss to UTK. ULM didn't impress me against WF, but I think they will get better as the season goes. Haven't seen TxSt play yet so I have no idea (which is not much less than any of my other predictions). NMSU will probably get most improved team by season's end. Idaho, well.... I'm not sure about USA, they may still impress by the end of the season with a top 3 finish. Really hard to judge App. The loss to UM was expected (but how ND beat UM made it look worse), beating the camels (like GS vs SSU) isn't a gauge on how the team can perform. Will have to wait till we see them in the boro. GaSt is still improving, but has a long way to go maybe next year.

GS. it is still early, but we look very good overall. We are already playing like it's mid-season and look to improve further. I don't think we'll run the table or anything crazy, but we will/should be in every game.
09-09-2014 09:45 AM
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
Welcome to the Sun Belt. From the couple years I've watched the conference, this is how it is. Last year every team aside from GSU had a shot at the title at one point or another. I enjoy the parity that other conferences lack. Last year the conference was the strongest non-BCS conference and most games were a toss up of who would win. I think App St and GS will compete as quick as TXST and USA did. GSU, NMSU, and Idaho all seem to be on the right path to compete in 3-5 years for the top.
09-09-2014 09:57 AM
ManOnABuffalo Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Appalachian St.
(09-09-2014 09:45 AM)trueeagle98 Wrote:  Was really pulling for UL to make a run at a top 25 spot this year, but that's pretty much shot now. They'd have to run the table now.

stAte is looking pretty good, even with the loss to UTK. ULM didn't impress me against WF, but I think they will get better as the season goes. Haven't seen TxSt play yet so I have no idea (which is not much less than any of my other predictions). NMSU will probably get most improved team by season's end. Idaho, well.... I'm not sure about USA, they may still impress by the end of the season with a top 3 finish. Really hard to judge App. The loss to UM was expected (but how ND beat UM made it look worse), beating the camels (like GS vs SSU) isn't a gauge on how the team can perform. Will have to wait till we see them in the boro. GaSt is still improving, but has a long way to go maybe next year.

GS. it is still early, but we look very good overall. We are already playing like it's mid-season and look to improve further. I don't think we'll run the table or anything crazy, but we will/should be in every game.

I think we will get a good look at how well the App team will be against USM 5 days before the Boro visit.
09-09-2014 11:35 AM
Advertisement

trueeagle98 Offline
1st String

(09-09-2014 11:35 AM)ManOnABuffalo Wrote:  
(09-09-2014 09:45 AM)trueeagle98 Wrote:  Was really pulling for UL to make a run at a top 25 spot this year, but that's pretty much shot now. They'd have to run the table now.

I think we will get a good look at how well the App team will be against USM 5 days before the Boro visit.

was just saying I won't be able to see how good App is until they come to the boro. Reading box scores only tells you so much, and I have very little time to watch the rerun online (if it's on there).
09-09-2014 12:02 PM
Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
U think ga southern is the best looking team so far to be honest.
09-09-2014 12:21 PM
trueeagle98 Offline
1st String

(09-09-2014 12:21 PM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  U think ga southern is the best looking team so far to be honest.

is this a question? or did you mean 'I' and not 'U'?

If you are asking me, then I think there isn't a team so far that would be a guaranteed loss for GS in the conference. We are hoping to make the nerds cry into their laptops this weekend. GT fans are sounding like NCST fans before the game, then when they get a couple lucky breaks to win they claim they stomped us. The season has started and all the talk is now being settled on the field. We will see how the season progresses, but right now I'm looking forward to these games.

04-rock
09-09-2014 12:26 PM
Ole Sleepy Offline
1st String

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
Re: Thoughts on the SBC after week 2
If we somehow win the conference this year...what happens?

Good or bad for the SBC? How many AD's will want Benson fired for not creating a tougher SBC schedule for us?

Can we replace ULL as the conference bully (we're pretty good at that)?
09-09-2014 12:59 PM
Advertisement

Seminole Indian Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas
(09-09-2014 09:37 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  
(09-09-2014 09:32 AM)ManOnABuffalo Wrote:  I know we have power rankings, but does anyone get the feeling this thing is totally wide open. The SBC does not have any dominate teams that have played in a way to look like the team to beat. We all had our early predictions that ULL or ArkSt would be the teams to beat, but they both look like totally winnable games for anyone. I hate to say it, but I for one think if GaSouth beats my Apps in Statesboro on Sept. 25th they will carry a lot of confidence into the bulk of their pretty easy SBC schedule. App State has been a thorn in the Eagle's sides in recent years and that could be the game to get them over the hump.

Why? In the case of A-State no SBC teams is close to a Tennessee, Miami or Utah State, and only a couple as good as Montana State, maybe.

I would not write off UL so quickly, because A-State over came an embarrassing loss to their hated rival Memphis last year, and still shared the title. I still say they are the favorite.

USA, ULM, GaSo and TxSt are not terribly bad. I could see them beating A-States 2nd team, maybe? Of course I'm kidding, and any of these teams could make a run if they avoid key injuries, but I would still go with UL right now, even though A-State is the most talented team in the SBC. Just have to see how much they grow up the next 3 games.
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2014 01:36 PM by Seminole Indian.)
09-09-2014 01:02 PM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-09-2014 12:59 PM)Ole Sleepy Wrote:  If we somehow win the conference this year...what happens?

Good or bad for the SBC? How many AD's will want Benson fired for not creating a tougher SBC schedule for us?

Can we replace ULL as the conference bully (we're pretty good at that)?

Blake Anderson goes on to some P5 school and Willie Fritz becomes the next StAte coach?
09-09-2014 01:03 PM
Klak Offline
1st String

(09-09-2014 01:02 PM)Seminole Indian Wrote:  

Why? In the case of A-State no SBC teams is close to a Tennessee, Miami or Utah State, and only a couple as good as Montana State, maybe.

I would not write off UL so quickly, because A-State over came an embarrassing loss to their hated rival Memphis last year, and still shared the title. I still say they are the favorite.

USA, ULM, GaSt and TxSt are not terribly bad. I could see them beating A-States 2nd team, maybe?

chattownmocs, is that you?
09-09-2014 01:03 PM
Ole Sleepy Offline
1st String

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
Re: RE: Thoughts on the SBC after week 2

USA, ULM, GaSt and TxSt are not terribly bad. I could see them beating A-States 2nd team, maybe?
A couple better than Montana State? You're an idiot.
09-09-2014 01:05 PM
Advertisement

Seminole Indian Offline
All American

(09-09-2014 01:03 PM)Klak Wrote:  

chattownmocs, is that you?
Nope, but I have gone through this same exercise the last few years here.

The names of the SBC teams have changed but all 'fans' are the same and this message board is a place they can perpetuate their false beliefs in where their team fits in the SBC pecking order a little longer. Some will do so until early October, some a little latter,then they wait patiently until the off season, where they crank up again.

Another recurring feature is that because some posters don't like where their teams fit in the pecking order established by the outside sources everyone else actually pays attention to, they create these power polls here, the make believe that this is real.

Only difference this year is for most the gap between their fantasy team and their real team is a little wider, so there is a real urgency to get a lot in as early as possible.
09-09-2014 01:23 PM
Seminole Indian Offline
All American

(09-09-2014 01:05 PM)Ole Sleepy Wrote:  

A couple better than Montana State? You're an idiot.
Not me......Jeff Sagarin.

He only has USA, A-State and TxSt ahead of Montana State. He is a reasonably credible source, although I prefer composite ratings myself and not just one source.

Again if you don't like this source or cannot find one that supports your fantasy team, feel free to make up something , because most here do just that(like the fans of #156 AppSt who really wants his fantasy team to be a factor this year), until sometimes in October.
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2014 02:17 PM by Seminole Indian.)
09-09-2014 01:48 PM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-09-2014 01:48 PM)Seminole Indian Wrote:  Again if you don't like this source or cannot find one that supports your fantasy team, feel free to make up something , because most here do just that(like the AppSt fan that started this thread when this ranking has them at #156), until sometimes in October.

I'll take my knowledge of FCS over computer rankings any day. Especially early season computer rankings. Montana State is an occasionally good team who has fairly sparse playoff appearances in FCS. Denarious McGhee is now gone and they are probably a mid-level Big Sky team this year.

I think StAte beating Montana State like they did was a quality win. Are they better than most Belt teams? No.
09-09-2014 02:21 PM
Seminole Indian Offline
All American

(09-09-2014 02:21 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  
(09-09-2014 01:48 PM)Seminole Indian Wrote:  Again if you don't like this source or cannot find one that supports your fantasy team, feel free to make up something , because most here do just that(like the AppSt fan that started this thread when this ranking has them at #156), until sometimes in October.

I'll take my knowledge of FCS over computer rankings any day. Especially early season computer rankings. Montana State is an occasionally good team who has fairly sparse playoff appearances in FCS. Denarious McGhee is now gone and they are probably a mid-level Big Sky team this year.

I think StAte beating Montana State like they did was a quality win. Are they better than most Belt teams? No.
Again, you have an advantage over me because my area of 'expertise' is recruiting and that is limited to a few prospects each year, after that I have to rely on these other sources to rank things, and while I prefer composite rankings utilizing a lot of established sources, most don't normally mix FCS and FBS.

The only time I will contradict an established source on how teams match up is if I am referencing another established source, or like picking A-State to again win the SBC based only on their overall talent is because that has proven to be the best method I have found for predicting a teams overall performance in the past.
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2014 02:53 PM by Seminole Indian.)
09-09-2014 02:45 PM
Advertisement

Seminole Indian Offline
All American

Let me add that in the case of ASU they are still awaiting word on whether two 'impact players', will play this year.

Their 'star' RB, and his 'stud'(according to the position coach) backup( ( who produce a 24 yd td run on one of his couple of carries against the VOL's) have seen very little pt in the first 2 games, and the 'star' may not play against Miami because of bruised ribs.

Their coaches also say there are several players who have barely seen the field who will be 'difference makers' for this team when they are ready to play. They have been either learning the system, or getting healthy from preseason injuries, or dealing with off the field issues.

In other words the team playing now will not be the team you guys will play. It will be better, and IMO a lot better.
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2014 04:49 PM by Seminole Indian.)
09-09-2014 03:10 PM
bullitt_60 Offline
All American

(09-09-2014 11:35 AM)ManOnABuffalo Wrote:  I think we will get a good look at how well the App team will be against USM 5 days before the Boro visit.

I hope but am not sure we will see App at their best in Statesboro. Two road games over a short week will be extremely difficult for y'all.
09-09-2014 03:11 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.