Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Week 3: Sunbelt Prediction Thread
Bookmark and Share
GSUCadet Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: GS & GT
Week two is over now and we can make our week three predictions. I think there will be quite a few close games this week. Georgia Southern at Georgia Tech will be a good gauge of how we fair this year. I think it will be close, but we will either pull through or lead in the beginning, and get beat in the 4th quarter due to a lack of depth. Air Force at Georgia State will be a low scoring game, but like this week, Georgia State will be heartbroken with another loss. Like Georgia Southern, Georgia State has a depth issue. Arkansas state at Miami is a typical sunbelt vs a middle to upper ACC team. Most people would pick the ACC team. After Louisiana's performance this week, I'm not convinced they have what it takes to beat an SEC team. I think they will make a couple scores, but ultimately, Ole Miss will pull through. Mississippi state is undefeated so far against two C-USA teams, and they want a sunbelt win. It wont really be a low scoring game, and I think South Alabama will put up a good fight. Idaho has what it takes to beat Western Michigan. It is a matter of if they will execute. Troy should beat Abilene Christian without a problem, with a decent score. ULM is doing great so far this season, but I do not think they have what it takes to beat LSU. UTEP played Texas Tech close last week, and I think that shows what they could put against NMSU. Texas State has a bye week, so we haven't been able to see them play as much. I think Navy will pull through in this somewhat close game.

Georgia Southern @ Georgia Tech 28-27
Air Force @ Georgia State 17-14
Arkansas State @ Miami (FL) 35-28
Louisiana @ Ole Miss 38-14
Mississippi State @ South Alabama 42-24
Western Michigan @ Idaho 21-17
Abilene Christian @ Troy 45-17
ULM @ LSU 38-21
New Mexico State @ UTEP 28-17
Navy @ Texas State 27-21
09-07-2014 08:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
RE: Week 3: Sunbelt Prediction Thread
Need to get one of Miami, Tech, Miss State, and Navy (preferably Tech :D).

The good news for us is I think we can slow down Tech's offense. Our defensive players and DC are intimately familiar with their offense. We played a close game with a good Navy team in our second game after going back to the option in 2010. Not sure how well we will be able to move the ball against Tech, though. I would not expect more than 50 total points in this game.
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2014 08:27 AM by EigenEagle.)
09-07-2014 08:26 AM
gsu2583 Offline
Special Teams

Georgia Southern @ Georgia Tech 31-27 - Homer-mode activated.
Air Force @ Georgia State 28-21 - Doesn't get better for GaState for a while.
Arkansas State @ Miami (FL) - The ghost of Willis Magahee wins this for the"U."
Louisiana @ Ole Miss 38-14 - Bo Wallace's hair is unbeatable.
Mississippi State @ South Alabama 34-13 - Dak Prescot is fair-to-middlin'
Western Michigan @ Idaho 21-14 - Someone leaves feeling.... vandalized?
Abilene Christian @ Troy - 21-31 - ACU ends up 0-2 vs the Belt.
ULM @ LSU 17-42 - Leonard Fournettyardsisgoingtoberedonkulous.
New Mexico State @ UTEP 24-20 - Aggies win the Battle for 0% Humidity.
Navy @ Texas State 24-30 - UPSET ALERT - TxState leaves seamen scattered on the field.
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2014 08:35 AM by gsu2583.)
09-07-2014 08:34 AM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
You guys may want to keep in mind that UTEP beat UNM and took Texas Tech to the wire last night.
09-07-2014 09:37 AM
gsu2583 Offline
Special Teams

I love Paulson Stadium, but if I could play anywhere else it would be at UTEPs stadium. Gorgeous.

That being said UTEP didn't pass worth a damn and TxTech got penalized the length of the field. That's enough to make it look close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2014 09:53 AM by gsu2583.)
09-07-2014 09:52 AM
GaSouthern Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Georgia So.
I do expect us to be competitive with GT but I don't think we will beat them.
09-07-2014 10:05 AM
Advertisement

Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
(09-07-2014 09:37 AM)CatMom Wrote:  You guys may want to keep in mind that UTEP beat UNM and took Texas Tech to the wire last night.

Tech's ability to play decent football isn't validated yet. They nearly lost to Central Arkansas.
09-07-2014 10:09 AM
SOT1977 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ULM
I'm not even going to entertain the notion of ULM beating LSU. I just want us to play a good game and at least make it somewhat interesting. Most Warhawk fans would be very happy just want to come out of September with a 3-1 mark.
09-07-2014 10:34 AM
AppAttack Offline
2nd String

I Root For: App State
You guys have a pretty tough non-conf schedule with two ACC teams early and then Navy.
09-07-2014 11:17 AM
Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
Ga Southern @ Georgia Tech 32-30...Ga Tech is a good bit better than NCSU. But Ga Tech has been known to have major let downs. Ill stick with my pick

Air Force @ Ga State 38-20....Ga State isnt ready for these kind of wins yet.

Arkansas State @ Miami 34-24... Miami will be a little too much for stAte to handle this week. Close loss

Louisiana lafayette @ Ole Miss38-17...Ole miss is a pretty good SEC team.

Mississippi State @ USA. 38-24....Good showing by USA and a new attendance record!

Western Michigan @ Idaho. 32-31....Idaho tends to play pretty well at home.

Abilene Christian @ TROY 32-17...Troy gets its first win of the season over a FCS team. Troy has never lost to a FCS program since being FBS for 13 years. This is not Savannah State either Troy fans expect a close game till the end.

ULM @ LSU 38-10...I would be shocked to see ULM win this.

NMSU @ UTEP 24-14...I just dont see NMSU winning this one At UTEP

Navy @ Texas State 28-17....I wouldnt call this a Upset. Troy beat Navy at home by 10 in 2012. Just business as usual.
09-07-2014 11:54 AM
GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

Here are my predictions

Ga. Tech 31 Ga. Southern 24
Air Force 38 Ga. State 21
Miami 35 Arkansas St. 21
Ole Miss 38 Louisiana 21
Mississippi St. 34 South Alabama 27
Idaho 28 Western Michigan 20
Troy 31 Abilene Christian 21
LSU 45 ULM 24
New Mexico St. 35 UTEP 28
Texas St. 35 Navy 31
09-07-2014 12:05 PM
Advertisement

Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
(09-07-2014 08:07 AM)GSUCadet Wrote:  Week two is over now and we can make our week three predictions. I think there will be quite a few close games this week. Georgia Southern at Georgia Tech will be a good gauge of how we fair this year. I think it will be close, but we will either pull through or lead in the beginning, and get beat in the 4th quarter due to a lack of depth. Air Force at Georgia State will be a low scoring game, but like this week, Georgia State will be heartbroken with another loss. Like Georgia Southern, Georgia State has a depth issue. Arkansas state at Miami is a typical sunbelt vs a middle to upper ACC team. Most people would pick the ACC team. After Louisiana's performance this week, I'm not convinced they have what it takes to beat an SEC team. I think they will make a couple scores, but ultimately, Ole Miss will pull through. Mississippi state is undefeated so far against two C-USA teams, and they want a sunbelt win. It wont really be a low scoring game, and I think South Alabama will put up a good fight. Idaho has what it takes to beat Western Michigan. It is a matter of if they will execute. Troy should beat Abilene Christian without a problem, with a decent score. ULM is doing great so far this season, but I do not think they have what it takes to beat LSU. UTEP played Texas Tech close last week, and I think that shows what they could put against NMSU. Texas State has a bye week, so we haven't been able to see them play as much. I think Navy will pull through in this somewhat close game.

Georgia Southern @ Georgia Tech 28-27
Air Force @ Georgia State 17-14
Arkansas State @ Miami (FL) 35-28
Mississippi State @ South Alabama 42-24
Western Michigan @ Idaho 21-17
Abilene Christian @ Troy 45-17
ULM @ LSU 38-21
New Mexico State @ UTEP 28-17
Navy @ Texas State 27-21

GT over GS by 10 (my heart says GS but by head says Tech here)
AF over GSU by 21
Miami over stAte by 14
Ole Miss over ULL by 14
Miss St over USA by 10
Idaho over W. Mich by 10
Troy over ACU by 24
LSU over ULM by 21
UTEP over NMSU by 14
Navy over Tex St by 17
09-07-2014 12:19 PM
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
Georgia Southern @ Georgia Tech - I think Tech takes it but I really hope I'm wrong

Air Force @ Georgia State - GSU will struggle and have to wait for their first win against a FBS team (will come this year)

Arkansas State @ Miami (FL) the Vols but then it ended there. I think they can keep it close. Again please pull the upset

Louisiana @ Ole Miss - After yesterday I'm changing my preseason pick to ole piss. hopefully the Cajuns will rebound

Mississippi State @ South Alabama - upset of the week. USA will need to play strong all four quarters but I think they got their first game jitters over with and win big at home

Western Michigan @ Idaho - Idaho looks better then last couple years and its at home

Abilene Christian @ Troy - Troy should win

ULM @ LSU - Please oh please let me be wrong. LSU losing would be the best thing ever

New Mexico State @ UTEP - NMSU is better this year but UTEP has looked good and its in El Paso

Navy @ Texas State - hurts me to pick Navy but I'm trying to be honest. TXST run D is iffy and Navy will exploit. Bobcats can win but will need a big game from the offense and no turnovers
09-07-2014 12:31 PM
mathenis89 Offline
Sucks at NCAA Football 14

I Root For: WKU, Miami, OSU
Georgia Southern @ Georgia Tech - Southern can't bring down a decent ACC opponent.
Air Force @ Georgia State - Triple Option tears GSU up.
Arkansas State @ Miami (FL) - Of all the possible upsets this week, this one seems most likely to me.
ULL @ Ole Miss - SEC Foe gets the W. But my picking an SEC opponent over ULL is probably based on "hate", right?
Mississippi State @ South Alabama - SEC Opponent. USA has a chance, but consistency is key.
Western Michigan @ Idaho - Decent performance this week. Definitely can beat Western Michigan.
Abilene Christian @ Troy - Don't be the FIU of the Belt, guys.
ULM @ LSU - I'd love ULM to win and they have a habit of taking down teams they really shouldn't. But LSU is just too big a task this season.
New Mexico State @ UTEP - UTEP looks stronger.
Navy @ Texas State - Triple Option
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2014 12:53 PM by mathenis89.)
09-07-2014 12:49 PM
HCJag Offline
All American

I Root For: South Alabama
(09-07-2014 12:31 PM)slycat Wrote:  Mississippi State @ South Alabama - upset of the week. USA will need to play strong all four quarters but I think they got their first game jitters over with and win big at home

I hope you're right. Win or lose, I think it'll be fairly close. My predictions:

Georgia Southern @ Georgia Tech - I think depth rears its ugly head again in this one. Should be close though.

Air Force @ Georgia State - GSU pulls out a squeaker.

Arkansas State @ Miami (FL) - I was wrong vs TN, but I'll call for the upset again.

Louisiana @ Ole Miss - Prove me wrong

Mississippi State @ South Alabama - MSU will be ready after a close one for most of the game against UAB. Just give it 100% and I'll be happy.

Western Michigan @ Idaho - I'll go with Idaho. I missed the ULM game, but they sound like gamers.

Abilene Christian @ Troy - Troy all the way. Shouldn't be close.

ULM @ LSU - LSU's just too good.

New Mexico State @ UTEP - UTEP just because they're the home team.

Navy @ Texas State - I've just got a feeling that the Bobcats are better than expected and will contend for the SBC title. This game will probably prove whether that's true. Navy and Illinois are next up and both are beatable. I like this schedule.
09-07-2014 12:54 PM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
The only way our schedule could be better suited to win the conference title is if USA was either at home or not on the schedule, and stAte wasn't on the schedule.

We have tough games, but none are "OH MY GOD WE HAVE NO SHOT" type games.
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2014 02:06 PM by TheRevSWT.)
09-07-2014 12:58 PM
Advertisement

DoubleAggie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Could be a rough week.
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2014 01:26 PM by DoubleAggie.)
09-07-2014 01:24 PM
trueblue21 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GS and TAMU
Georgia Southern @ Georgia Tech 31-24 There might be 10,000+ Southern fans there. We win because we are simply a better team.
Air Force @ Georgia State 24-14
Arkansas State @ Miami (FL) 44-21
Mississippi State @ South Alabama 35-32 Jags at home.
Western Michigan @ Idaho 28-21
Abilene Christian @ Troy 56-21
ULM @ LSU 24-17 I think the warhawks defense is pretty stout.
New Mexico State @ UTEP 35-24
Navy @ Texas State 24-17 Pack the stadium and play hard. Navy is dangerous. This game will set the tone for Texas States season.
09-07-2014 01:41 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
I hope I'm wrong but here's what I think will happen

GT beats Ga Southern, 27-17 as depth issues cause them to fade in the 4th quarter
AFA beats Ga State 35-28 as the agony for Ga State continues
Miami(FL) beats Ark State 35-17
Mississippi State beats USA 42-28 after pulling away late
Idaho beats Western Michigan 35-17
Troy beats Abilene Christian 42-17
LSU beats ULM big 42-21 after CTB goes for it too many times on 4 and long.
UTEP beats NMSU 28-35
Navy beats Texas State 28-17

----

Ga So could beat GT, USA could beat Miss State, NMSU could beat UTEP, and Texas State could beat Navy. But none of those things are considered the most likely outcome. I'll be glad if we can get 1 win out of that group. I'll be very happy if we can get more than 1.
09-07-2014 01:48 PM
Klak Offline
1st String

(09-07-2014 01:48 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  I hope I'm wrong but here's what I think will happen

GT beats Ga Southern, 27-17 as depth issues cause them to fade in the 4th quarter
AFA beats Ga State 35-28 as the agony for Ga State continues
Miami(FL) beats Ark State 35-17
Mississippi State beats USA 42-28 after pulling away late
Idaho beats Western Michigan 35-17
Troy beats Abilene Christian 42-17
LSU beats ULM big 42-21 after CTB goes for it too many times on 4 and long.
UTEP beats NMSU 28-35
Navy beats Texas State 28-17

----

Ga So could beat GT, USA could beat Miss State, NMSU could beat UTEP, and Texas State could beat Navy. But none of those things are considered the most likely outcome. I'll be glad if we can get 1 win out of that group. I'll be very happy if we can get more than 1.

I don't think depth issues will be as big of a deal against GT. They've only been running ~60 plays this year. NC State ran 75. GT doesn't run hurry up and huddles between every play.

Add in the fact that nobody on the 2 deep played in the 2nd half this week, and we should be fine on the "depth" front.
09-07-2014 02:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.