Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Will the Sun Belt set a league-wide attendance record in 2014?
Bookmark and Share
SkullyMaroo Offline

I Root For: South Alabama
Will the Sun Belt set a league-wide attendance record in 2014?
Will the SBC set a new league-wide attendance record this year? I think we can. Several teams have home schedules that have heavy fan interest. The existing record was set in 2012 I believe, with 19,766 on average per Sun Belt game. Last year we had 19,263. I think we have a good chance to beat this record this year.

Louisiana Lafayette hosts Southern (a previous Southern at Louisiana Lafayette game currently holds the Sun Belt record for home game attendance) and La Tech will be a highly attended game. They also get the biggest perceived SBC threats in ASU and USA at home.

USA hosts Mississippi State, Troy, and Navy among others.

Arkansas State attendance should be decent, so long as the season goes according to expectation.

Troy hosts Duke and Louisiana Lafayette.

Appalachian State always has good attendance. This being their first FBS season could even increase it.

Georgia Southern moving to FBS can help them.

Possible big games:
Southern at Louisiana Lafayette
La Tech at Louisiana Lafayette
USA at Louisiana Lafayette
ASU at Louisiana Lafayette
Mississippi State at USA
Troy @ USA
Navy @ USA
Navy @ Texas State
Louisiana Lafayette @ Texas State
Duke @ Troy
Louisiana Lafayette @ Troy
Troy @ Georgia Southern
Appalachian State @ Georgia Southern
Wake Forest @ ULM
Louisiana Lafayette @ ULM

I'm sure there are other factors and games I'm leaving out. Feel free to add them. What you think? Do we break that record this year?
08-06-2014 12:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

geauxcajuns Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
RE: Will the Sun Belt set a league-wide attendance record in 2014?
(08-06-2014 12:39 PM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  Will the SBC set a new league-wide attendance record this year? I think we can. Several teams have home schedules that have heavy fan interest. The existing record was set in 2012 I believe, with 19,766 on average per Sun Belt game. Last year we had 19,263. I think we have a good chance to beat this record this year.

Louisiana Lafayette hosts Southern (a previous Southern at Louisiana Lafayette game currently holds the Sun Belt record for home game attendance) and La Tech will be a highly attended game. They also get the biggest perceived SBC threats in ASU and USA at home.

Arkansas State attendance should be decent, so long as the season goes according to expectation.

Appalachian State always has good attendance. This being their first FBS season could even increase it.

Possible big games:
[b]Southern at Louisiana Lafayette
[/b]
Mississippi State at USA
Troy @ USA
Navy @ USA
Navy @ Texas State
Duke @ Troy
Troy @ Georgia Southern
Wake Forest @ ULM

I'm sure there are other factors and games I'm leaving out. Feel free to add them. What you think? Do we break that record this year?

All four Louisiana games will likely sell out if they were all on Saturday. Hell, if we start the season 3-1 we will sell out every Saturday home game period.
08-06-2014 12:56 PM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
I believe Troy vs ULL is the day after Thanksgiving, and black Friday. Not easy to sell.
08-06-2014 12:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
geauxcajuns Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
(08-06-2014 12:57 PM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  I believe Troy vs ULL is the day after Thanksgiving, and black Friday. Not easy to sell.

I hope to be there, well back at Ft Rucker for the IP course but that is a big "hope".
08-06-2014 12:59 PM
Bigtom12 Offline
1st String

I Root For: LOUISIANA
We added teams that have great fan support that actually do average more than 20,000 a game like TXST, App, and GoSo.

One of the issues is having teams that don't get a lot of fans like Idaho, GSU, NMSU, and ULM. I think if you look at the bigger picture I say we are looking probably still averaging around 20,000 fans this year also
08-06-2014 01:04 PM
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
(08-06-2014 12:39 PM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  Will the SBC set a new league-wide attendance record this year? I think we can. Several teams have home schedules that have heavy fan interest. The existing record was set in 2012 I believe, with 19,766 on average per Sun Belt game. Last year we had 19,263. I think we have a good chance to beat this record this year.

Possible big games:
Southern at Louisiana Lafayette
Mississippi State at USA
Troy @ USA
Navy @ USA
Navy @ Texas State
Duke @ Troy
Troy @ Georgia Southern
Wake Forest @ ULM

Due to it being our first game in the newly remodeled stadium I think Savannah St will sell 20,000+ and App St will be close to a sell out if not one. Depending on how well we do this season I can see us averaging close to 20,000 in Statesboro.
08-06-2014 01:07 PM
Advertisement

panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
The biggest attendance game will be in the Dome on Oct 25th.
08-06-2014 01:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: App State
This is the weakest possible home schedule App could/will have over the next few years (hopefully ever as an FBS program), but if the weather is good we should average over 25k.
08-06-2014 01:09 PM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
Probably so. App and Georgia Southern both average more fans than most of the teams that left.

UL and Ark State are coming off several good years in a row, so their ticket sales will be high.

Throw in the fact there are a few home games against P5 programs and you have a recipe for a great attendance season.
08-06-2014 01:24 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
My money is on MSU v. USA and UL v LTU.
08-06-2014 01:25 PM
BamaCajun Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Leggy Red Heads
Re: RE: Will the Sun Belt set a league-wide attendance record in 2014?
(08-06-2014 01:25 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  My money is on MSU v. USA and UL v LTU.

Southern v/s Louisiana will be a bigger draw. LTU-R does not travel well.
08-06-2014 01:33 PM
Advertisement

SkullyMaroo Offline

I Root For: South Alabama
(08-06-2014 01:24 PM)Niner National Wrote:  Probably so. App and Georgia Southern both average more fans than most of the teams that left.

UL and Ark State are coming off several good years in a row, so their ticket sales will be high.

Throw in the fact there are a few home games against P5 programs and you have a recipe for a great attendance season.

FWIW, Georgia Southern averaged less than 15,000 last year. It was likely an abnormal year, but it is what it is. I don't expect that to be the case this year.
08-06-2014 01:36 PM
moehler Offline
1st String

App, should not have any problem averaging atleast 25,000, my guess 26-27 thousand. A lot depends on that first game, we play well, or even somehow win, that will carry over for the rest of the season
08-06-2014 01:39 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
(08-06-2014 01:33 PM)BamaCajun Wrote:  
(08-06-2014 01:25 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  My money is on MSU v. USA and UL v LTU.

Even so, the folks in Lafayette will be all over that game. In fact, I think I am going to be in Lafayette that week and may go to the game.
08-06-2014 01:43 PM
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns
(08-06-2014 01:33 PM)BamaCajun Wrote:  

Thank you for using the proper legal call letters of our brothers in Ruston. We all know they wish to adhere to the law.

Last year the Belt averaged 19,859 per game and C-USA 21,310. This year I believe we pass them in per game attendance.04-cheers
08-06-2014 01:45 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(08-06-2014 01:36 PM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  
(08-06-2014 01:24 PM)Niner National Wrote:  Probably so. App and Georgia Southern both average more fans than most of the teams that left.

FWIW, Georgia Southern averaged less than 15,000 last year. It was likely an abnormal year, but it is what it is. I don't expect that to be the case this year.

Georgia Southern had a max capacity of 15K last year due to construction. It wasn't because fans stopped coming, they just couldn't fit any more.
08-06-2014 01:45 PM
Advertisement

Beltfan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: best of SBC
1. Mississippi State @ South Alabama
2. Arkansas State @ ULL
3. South Alabama @ ULL
08-06-2014 01:58 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(08-06-2014 01:58 PM)Beltfan Wrote:  1. Mississippi State @ South Alabama
2. Arkansas State @ ULL
3. South Alabama @ ULL

Arkansas State/ULL is a Tuesday Night game, which will hurt attendance down in Cajun Land.

Both AState and App State should have at least one crowd pushing 30K this year as well. Georgia Southern wont go near those totals with a smaller capacity, but I expect them to sell out a couple time this year easy.
08-06-2014 02:22 PM
GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Ga Southern
Our official capacity is now 25,000 but with standing room and the grass seating area we probably could get somewhere around 27,000 into Paulson. I have heard that there are plans to double deck the presss box side within the next 5 years. That would push capacity to somewhere around 32-33 thousand or so. We need to fill up the 25,000 we have for now and hopefully within the next 5 years we will add another 7-8 thousand seats. Alot of that has to do with us being sucessful. We need to win and show our fans we can be a competitor for a Sun Belt championship. I know it may not happen overnight but we need to get to the point we are winning at least 7 games per year.
08-06-2014 02:35 PM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

If we have a good showing vs. Michigan and good weather for the home opener, I'd expect 30k for Campbell (yes I'm serious).

We should also get good crowds for family day and homecoming, no matter the opponent. Attendance will slack off the last three games (colder), especially Idaho (weekend after Thanksgiving). We may not have 18k for Idaho.
08-06-2014 03:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.