Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Battle of the Bands
Bookmark and Share
Jag89 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: USA
Battle of the Bands
It wouldn't be the offseason without a thread about the marching bands. Rimshot I'm just curious how each school's band matches up, especially the new additions to the SBC.

I'd say traditionally, Troy has had one of the biggest and best marching bands. Really impressive sound and hopefully they'll bring their band to Mobile again this year.

USA has about 250 members and has been getting bigger and better every year. USA usually traveles to 1-2 away games each year. Last year they traveled to Tulane and Troy. I would think this year they'll go to at least ULL.

How big is your marching band? Will any other bands be traveling to Mobile this year?
07-29-2014 03:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Jag89 Offline
Bench Warmer

RE: Battle of the Bands
(07-29-2014 03:59 PM)Jag89 Wrote:  It wouldn't be the offseason without a thread about the marching bands. Rimshot I'm just curious how each school's band matches up, especially the new additions to the SBC.

I'd say traditionally, Troy has had one of the biggest and best marching bands. Really impressive sound and hopefully they'll bring their band to Mobile again this year.

USA has about 250 members and has been getting bigger and better every year. USA usually traveles to 1-2 away games each year. Last year they traveled to Tulane and Troy. I would think this year they'll go to at least ULL.

How big is your marching band? Will any other bands be traveling to Mobile this year?

Here's a video from one of last years half time shows...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WT_c7Pqdfo
07-29-2014 04:06 PM
Arrowhead Offline
Beltbbs ULM INsider

I Root For: ULM
(07-29-2014 04:06 PM)Jag89 Wrote:  
(07-29-2014 03:59 PM)Jag89 Wrote:  It wouldn't be the offseason without a thread about the marching bands. Rimshot I'm just curious how each school's band matches up, especially the new additions to the SBC.

Here's a video from one of last years half time shows...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WT_c7Pqdfo

ULM's use to be one of the best in the south and within the past 20 years has been a shell of itself and quite small. Fortunately more funding is coming through and we are supposed to be about 140 or 150 this year, which is actually up a good bit from last year.
07-29-2014 07:02 PM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
Georgia Southern's band is named The Southern Pride Marching Band. Southern Pride is known to have one of the hardest, most intense band camps that students go through and earned the nickname "the hardest working band in show business." At 300 members strong, the band has performed at several venues and stadiums including recently playing at Turner field for the Atlanta Braves home opener and playing a halftime show for the Atlanta Falcons. A group from the drumline has even performed live on the David Letterman Show. The Music Department also includes an Emmy award-winning Symphonic Orchestra and a national champion majorette team. I can't wait to see all the FBS bands come to Paulson, especially Troy's! GOOOOOOO BAY-UND!!!!
[Image: 3521cd5d3b77d0297a8d6cdea7dc516c.jpg]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ1Zmmgki1Y
07-29-2014 07:17 PM
Atlanta Trojan Online
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
Troy will take full band to only UAB, and USA this year. Troy is about 360 members this season

We will take our pep band to UGA, Ga Southern, ULM,

Troys band travels to most away games. Only school that won't see any band is Idaho for obvious reasons.
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2014 07:42 PM by Atlanta Trojan.)
07-29-2014 07:32 PM
Atlanta Trojan Online
Sun Belt Nationalist

One of my fav shows...

07-29-2014 07:34 PM
Advertisement

TU94 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Troy Trojans
One of my all time favorites! I know it's the same opening fanfare in the video above. I love the fanfare by itself. No show needed!

(This post was last modified: 07-29-2014 08:32 PM by TU94.)
07-29-2014 08:25 PM
Trojan Possum Offline
Water Engineer

The Fanfare always gives me goosebumps. GO TROY!
07-29-2014 08:37 PM
Jag89 Offline
Bench Warmer

(07-29-2014 08:25 PM)TU94 Wrote:  One of my all time favorites! I know it's the same opening fanfare in the video above. I love the fanfare by itself. No show needed!

Nice!! Just hearing the bands gets me pumped for football season.

Did Mississippi State bring their band to Troy 2 years ago? Full band? I'm hoping they bring theirs to Mobile given the easy drive. And what about those damn cowbells? We're their fans allowed to bring them in the stadium?
07-29-2014 08:57 PM
Atlanta Trojan Online
Sun Belt Nationalist

(07-29-2014 08:57 PM)Jag89 Wrote:  
(07-29-2014 08:25 PM)TU94 Wrote:  One of my all time favorites! I know it's the same opening fanfare in the video above. I love the fanfare by itself. No show needed!

Nice!! Just hearing the bands gets me pumped for football season.

Did Mississippi State bring their band to Troy 2 years ago? Full band? I'm hoping they bring theirs to Mobile given the easy drive. And what about those damn cowbells? We're their fans allowed to bring them in the stadium?

They brought their pep band

And no Troy patted everyone down before you were allowed to enter... No cow bell at Troy.
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2014 09:11 PM by Atlanta Trojan.)
07-29-2014 09:10 PM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
Pride of the Hill Country - Pre-Game vs Texas Tech
You can see the temp bleachers we had to add in the SEZ.

07-29-2014 09:26 PM
Advertisement

gsu2583 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ga Southern
Battle of the Bands
Southern Pride does NOT have 300 members. More like 200. Think it even says that on their website. And I'm not sure if that 200 includes the guard.

Benefits of having a smaller band IMO is you get to do more pages of drill. Not just block, move 16, mark time/play 32+, repeat.

I miss those days and the tan.
07-30-2014 05:30 AM
Spongerob Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: NMSU
Re: Battle of the Bands
Pride

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ovj0Zpt...ata_player

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
07-30-2014 05:42 AM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
(07-30-2014 05:30 AM)gsu2583 Wrote:  Southern Pride does NOT have 300 members. More like 200. Think it even says that on their website. And I'm not sure if that 200 includes the guard.

Benefits of having a smaller band IMO is you get to do more pages of drill. Not just block, move 16, mark time/play 32+, repeat.

I miss those days and the tan.

I was just going by Southern Pride's wikipedia page which was probably a mistake, but I was in the band last year. I think we had about 275 students.
07-30-2014 09:53 AM
southern edumacation Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: GaSou
(07-30-2014 09:53 AM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  I was just going by Southern Pride's wikipedia page which was probably a mistake, but I was in the band last year. I think we had about 275 students.

Can you get the new guy to let the drumline have the end of the game again?

Having the drumline play on the 50 afterwards was always my favorite.

-Signed GS Drumline alum (2001-2004)
07-30-2014 12:28 PM
GreenHornet33 Offline
All American

I Root For: Jackson State Tigers
(07-29-2014 07:32 PM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  Troy will take full band to only UAB, and USA this year. Troy is about 360 members this season

Troys band travels to most away games. Only school that won't see any band is Idaho for obvious reasons.

Can any of you guys explain the "band beef" between the Marching Southerners of JSU and Troy? I have a few Troy alums in my office and I told them about JSU's band and if looks could kill I wouldn’t be here today.
07-30-2014 02:44 PM
Advertisement

Trojan Possum Offline
Water Engineer

Troy and JSU used to be BITTER rivals... The Battle of the Old School Bell was almost as bad as another in state rivalry, but the rivalry died when Troy made the jump to FBS and Jax State stayed in FCS.
07-30-2014 03:16 PM
AppManDG Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State
(07-30-2014 02:44 PM)GreenHornet33 Wrote:  
(07-29-2014 07:32 PM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  Troy will take full band to only UAB, and USA this year. Troy is about 360 members this season

Can any of you guys explain the "band beef" between the Marching Southerners of JSU and Troy? I have a few Troy alums in my office and I told them about JSU's band and if looks could kill I wouldn’t be here today.

That is one more fine football stadium you guys have. Fact is all your facilities are outstanding.
07-30-2014 04:30 PM
AppManDG Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State

App has traditionally had a very solid marching band. A long time and very well liked director left for UCF following 2009 and the Music Department did a poor job filling the position until 2012. The band once numbered well above 300, but slipped to less than 250 during 2010, 11 & 12. A new director was hired in 2012 and the numbers are back just south of 300. The band goes by "North Carolina's Band of Distinction" and remains committed to performing as a traditional marching band. No drum and bugle corps type performances or electric instruments allowed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7tRffS4...FeA9nmu8Pu

Although they have been known to they get down on occasions!

This is from our nationally televised ESPN game vs Wofford on Halloween in 2008.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBDB7Ero...u&index=46[video=youtube]App has traditionally had a very solid marching band. A long time and very well liked director left for UCF following 2009 and the Music Department did a poor job filling the position until 2012. The band once numbered well above 300, but slipped to less than 250 during 2010, 11 & 12. A new director was hired in 2012 and the numbers are back just south of 300. The band goes by "North Carolina's Band of Distinction" and remains committed to performing as a traditional marching band. No electric instruments allowed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBDB7Ero...u&index=46[/video]

Although they have been known to they get down on occasions! From our nationally televised ESPN game vs Wofford on Halloween in 2008.

07-30-2014 06:22 PM
GreenHornet33 Offline
All American

I Root For: Jackson State Tigers
(07-30-2014 04:30 PM)AppManDG Wrote:  
(07-30-2014 02:44 PM)GreenHornet33 Wrote:  

That is one more fine football stadium you guys have. Fact is all your facilities are outstanding.

Thanks man! Hopefully we can piece together a record in it like you guys have done at The Rock. Im really going to miss those showdowns between you guys and Furman.
07-30-2014 07:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.