Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

5 Questions and Answers-Louisiana Advocate
Bookmark and Share
RamblinRedWolf44 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas StAte
5 Questions and Answers-Louisiana Advocate
http://theadvocate.com/sports/9781907-32...ay-preview

Q: Can the Cajuns win the league outright?

The league’s coaches and the major preseason magazines were unanimous that UL-Lafayette is the class of the league.

The Cajuns have their main offensive weapons returning in quarterback Terrance Broadway and running backs Alonzo Harris and Elijah McGuire. The defense was improved last season and enters a second year under coordinator James Willis.

The schedule helps, too: The Cajuns host the teams perceived as their top challengers: Arkansas State and South Alabama.

Q: If the Cajuns don’t win it, who will?

Don’t count out Arkansas State, which won outright titles two straight years before sharing with UL-Lafayette last season despite having different coaches each year. The Red Wolves will be on their third quarterback in three years, but QB Fredi Knighten was recruited to run a fast-paced offense.

South Alabama was a late-season surprise last year, winning three in a row to reach bowl eligibility. That included a 30-8 thumping of UL-Lafayette in the season finale, but the Cajuns didn’t have Broadway for that one.

Q: Will the new teams be a factor in the league race?

Georgia Southern and Appalachian State had a reputation for upsetting FBS members during their run in the Southern Conference. GSU stunned Florida 26-20 last season while going 7-4, but the Eagles lost to 4-8 App State. Neither was picked to finish in the Sun Belt’s top six this season by the coaches.

The other new teams — not totally new since New Mexico State and Idaho were members from 2001-04 — combined for a 3-21 record last season and don’t figure to be much better.

Q: Will anyone recognize Arkansas State’s coach?

Blake Anderson, hired in December, is the fifth Arkansas State coach in less than 38 months — following Steve Roberts and one-year wonders Hugh Freeze, Gus Malzahn and Bryan Harsin. Freeze moved to Ole Miss, Malzahn returned to Auburn and Harsin went home to Boise State before Arkansas State’s GoDaddy Bowl win over Kent State.

A-State officials are determined to end this one-and-done stretch: Anderson’s contract has a $3 million buyout in its first two years.

Q: What’s at the end of the season?

Barring an unbeaten Sun Belt team somehow getting into the College Football Playoff conversation, the championship likely won’t be decided until the final week of the season.

After eight years of just one bowl tie-in with the New Orleans Bowl, the Sun Belt tied in with the GoDaddy Bowl in Mobile, Alabama, in 2009. This year, the league adds a third affiliation with the inaugural Camellia Bowl in Montgomery, Alabama, and will have a tie-in with the Cure Bowl in Orlando, Florida, starting in 2015.
07-26-2014 07:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

AppState Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Appalachian
RE: 5 Questions and Answers-Louisiana Advocate
Anybody can be beaten.
07-26-2014 09:56 PM
SOT1977 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ULM
Or better known as The Baton Rouge Advocate.
07-27-2014 03:20 PM
Advertisement

GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
Young teams can grow a lot during a long football season.
Hard to predict what will happen this year with so many changes.
Going to be interesting.
07-27-2014 03:38 PM
swampbear Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana
(07-27-2014 03:20 PM)SOT1977 Wrote:  Or better known as The Baton Rouge Advocate.

Actually now known as the "Acadiana Advocate" in our neck of the woods and the "New Orleans" Advocate in N O
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2014 11:23 AM by swampbear.)
07-28-2014 05:56 AM
Advertisement

BamaCajun Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Leggy Red Heads
Re: RE: 5 Questions and Answers-Louisiana Advocate
(07-27-2014 03:20 PM)SOT1977 Wrote:  Or better known as The Baton Rouge Advocate.

I believe RedWolf was giving credit to "The Advocate" (it's actual name) for covering the Louisiana football team
07-28-2014 09:27 AM
Cat79 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Texas State
Nobody is giving Texas State a chance. I like being picked low. Ark State and Louisiana have to win in San Marcos this year. One of the two is going to lose in San Marcos.
07-29-2014 11:42 AM
Advertisement

Arrowhead Offline
Beltbbs ULM INsider

(07-29-2014 11:42 AM)Cat79 Wrote:  Nobody is giving Texas State a chance. I like being picked low. Ark State and Louisiana have to win in San Marcos this year. One of the two is going to lose in San Marcos.

Magazine's, etc., have ULM in the running and in bowls, but not people on this board. My guess is that ULM is considered the dark horse every year to win the league, but never comes through except in 2005 and a very good 2012 year.
07-29-2014 11:47 AM
Cat79 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Texas State
(07-29-2014 11:47 AM)Arrowhead Wrote:  
(07-29-2014 11:42 AM)Cat79 Wrote:  Nobody is giving Texas State a chance. I like being picked low. Ark State and Louisiana have to win in San Marcos this year. One of the two is going to lose in San Marcos.

Magazine's, etc., have ULM in the running and in bowls, but not people on this board. My guess is that ULM is considered the dark horse every year to win the league, but never comes through except in 2005 and a very good 2012 year.

You guys have a good solid team. The key is getting good QB play out of your new QB.

Our true freshman QB had spotted you guys two TD's last season and hopefully he will not be as gracious to you guys this season.
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2014 11:53 AM by Cat79.)
07-29-2014 11:52 AM
Advertisement

Arrowhead Offline
Beltbbs ULM INsider

(07-29-2014 11:52 AM)Cat79 Wrote:  
(07-29-2014 11:47 AM)Arrowhead Wrote:  

You guys have a good solid team. The key is getting good QB play out of your new QB.

Our true freshman QB had spotted you guys two TD's last season and hopefully he will not be as gracious to you guys this season.

I agree our biggest unknown is QB. I'm hearing good things about Pete Thomas, so we'll see. If he doesn't pan out we're in trouble.
07-29-2014 12:12 PM
JoeJag Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama

TXST is coming on, but a year away. I pick y'all to go 5-3 in the league with losses to ULL, Ark. State and USA.
07-29-2014 04:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.