Ohio State fires band director over 'environment conducive to sexual haras
Bookmark and Share
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
Ohio State fires band director over 'environment conducive to sexual haras
Ohio State fires band director Jon Waters over 'environment conducive to sexual harassment'
[Image: 14712140-mmmain.jpg]
The Ohio State marching band is undergoing a change of leadership after a two-month investigation found an environment conducive to sexual harassment within the band structure. (Marvin Fong, The Plain Dealer)

By Doug Lesmerises, Northeast Ohio Media Group

on July 24, 2014 at 1:18 PM, updated July 24, 2014 at 1:40 PM

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Ohio State fired marching band director Jon Waters on Thursday over what the university called a "sexualized" culture.

Waters helped lead the band onto the national stage last year with elaborate halftime performances.

New Ohio State president Michael Drake released a video detailing the issues with the band, which the school said began before Waters' tenure. But after a two-month investigation, the school found instances of harassment that Waters did or should have known about and didn't stop.

Here is the full text of a release from Ohio State:

The Ohio State University takes very seriously its responsibility to provide a world class education, which is enriched by a positive campus culture, diverse academic experience and opportunities for personal growth. Those responsibilities are built on the University's core values of integrity, personal accountability, openness and trust.

While the Ohio State Marching Band has embraced a tradition of excellence and become a source of enormous pride for the entire Buckeye family, a recent review of the Marching Band culture and practices revealed conduct by members of the band and staff that is inconsistent with the University's values and Title IX requirements.

A thorough investigation by the Office of University Compliance over the past two months revealed serious cultural issues and an environment conducive to sexual harassment within the Marching Band. In addition, the investigation determined that Director Waters was aware or reasonably should have known about this culture but failed to eliminate it, prevent its recurrence and address its effects.

Jon Waters has been terminated from his position as Director of the Marching Band.

"Nothing is more important than the safety of our students," said The Ohio State University President Michael Drake. "We expect every member of our community to live up to a common standard of decency and mutual respect and to adhere to university policies.

Moving forward, we must abide by a zero tolerance policy at the University—both with the Marching Band and the entire campus community—for any behavior that creates a hostile culture at Ohio State. I view this as a new day and an opportunity for the Ohio State community to come together and embrace the values and behavior that have made this University great."

In addition to changing the leadership of the Marching Band, the University immediately has taken additional steps to ensure that change is swift and impactful. This begins with the appointment of Betty Montgomery, former Ohio Attorney General, to lead an independent task force, reporting directly to President Drake and the Chairman of the Board of Trustees, to review this matter in its entirety. This task force will include nationally-recognized experts:

• Ernst & Young, which will conduct an investigatory review.
• Sports Conflict Institute, which will conduct an independent review of the Ohio State Band culture.
• Outside counsel to provide guidance on Title IX compliance.

At this time, the Ohio State Marching Band season will continue under new leadership and steps are being taken to swiftly identify an interim band director. Additional training and guidance will be developed with new band leadership to create a proper culture, and nurturing environment.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2...ector.html

(This post was last modified: 07-24-2014 01:40 PM by ctipton.)
07-24-2014 01:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

DonatorsDonators
RE: Ohio State fires band director over 'environment conducive to sexual haras
Ohio State fires band director Jonathan Waters over ‘sexualized’ culture
Adam Cairns | Dispatch

[Image: waters.jpg?__scale=w:660,h:506,t:1,c:ffffff,q:80,r:1]
Ohio State Marching Band director Jon Waters leads the band in "Carmen Ohio" following a game at Ohio Stadium in this file photo from Sept. 7, 2013. Waters was fired by the university today after an internal investigation uncovered a deep culture of sexual harassment among students that reportedly has existed for years.

By Collin Binkley The Columbus Dispatch • Thursday July 24, 2014 2:05 PM

Ohio State University has fired the director of its marching band and is expanding an internal investigation that uncovered a deep culture of sexual harassment among students that reportedly has existed for years.

The two-month investigation, triggered by the complaint of a parent, revealed a cascade of evidence that students routinely harassed one another –– often directed at new band members by older students –– and that director Jonathan Waters knew about it or should have known.

Waters, 38, was ousted from his post effective today, OSU President Michael V. Drake said. Details of the investigation are laid out in a 23-page report obtained by The Dispatch.

Drake said he was disappointed by the findings and the firing, but that all of the university’s senior leaders agreed to the dismissal after reading the report.

“We care about what is happening when we are looking, but we also care about what is happening when we are not looking, and our leaders have a responsibility to set that standard and to enforce it,” Drake said in a Dispatch interview this morning.

“We’re looking for a future where that band can continue to thrive and do wonderful things, but some of the aspects of how the band was guided are not acceptable in the modern world,” he added.

Reached by phone this afternoon, Waters declined to comment but referred calls to Columbus lawyer David Axelrod.

"Jonathan tried as hard as he could within the constraints imposed upon him to change that culture. He did his absolute best," Axelrod said.

Waters has not decided whether he will fight his firing or take legal action, Axelrod said. "Jonathan has not decided precisely what action he will take," he said.

"He intends to defend his good name in one way or another."

Examples of abuse include an annual midnight band practice at Ohio Stadium in which men and women were expected to march wearing only their underwear. In one recent year, a student suffered alcohol poisoning at the practice. Students led the rehearsal, but staff members, including Waters, were there, too.

Some other traditions: All new band members, or “rookies,” were given nicknames, many of which were sexually explicit. Rookies were forced to perform “tricks” on command. In one case, a female student was told to imitate a sexual act on the laps of other band members, including her brother.

Several witnesses said that students performed a “flying 69” on tour buses, in which band members hung from the luggage racks and posed in a sexual position. Waters was on the bus when that happened as recently as last fall, according to a band staff member who quit last year.

The staff member told investigators she resigned from the band because Waters would not address alcohol abuse on that trip.

An “unofficial” songbook was part of the evidence that investigators provided to university leaders, with raunchy lyrics set to school songs at other colleges.

The report is a heavy blow to a marching band that, since Waters took over in 2012, has seen a swift rise to national fame. Waters was seen as a pioneer for giving all students iPads to chart dazzling halftime shows that routinely drew millions of viewers to online videos. Waters has been the face of the band, appearing on national talk shows as an expert on marching bands.

Last year, the band –– known as the “pride of the Buckeyes” and the “best damn band in the land” –– appeared in a dramatic TV ad for the iPad.

But behind that glamour, some witnesses said, there was a “culture of intimidation” that kept secret the long traditions that bothered some students. Some had complained and said they were ignored.

The investigation included interviews with several band members, staff members under Waters and the director of the school of music at Ohio State.

The University Office of Compliance and Integrity, created following a scandal that featured Jim Tressel and Terrelle Pryor, led the investigation, which started on May 23. Title IX, a federal law that bans discrimination and harassment, sets requirements for investigating this type of complaint, including a 60-day deadline for resolution.

Many if not all of the traditions predate Waters, but OSU leaders concluded that he didn’t do enough to stop them. The report said little about Jon Woods, the previous director who led the band for 25 years before handing the reins to Waters, who has been with the band in some role since 1995.

Waters knew about the nicknames and called at least one student by her sexual nickname. One female student said Waters ignored her complaints that she was uncomfortable changing in front of men on buses when the band traveled.

Some students said that Waters often yelled or cursed at students, and one said that Waters texted dirty limericks to students. Waters denied both accusations.

Waters told the office investigating him that he had taken steps to curb some of the traditions. He asked band members to cancel the midnight underwear practice. He reprimanded a student for using an offensive nickname in 2011, as assistant director. He banned a newsletter penned by students after it berated a female student in the band, and he disciplined the author.

At the conclusion of the internal investigation, the university named former Ohio Attorney General Betty Montgomery to lead a second inquiry aiming to find anything that the first one might have missed.

She will be assisted by Ernst & Young’s investigation unit, which will review OSU policies, and lawyers who will make sure OSU complies with Title IX.

Waters, 38, served the marching and athletic bands for 10 years as assistant director under emeritus director Woods, and as interim director following Woods’ retirement.

Waters graduated from Ohio State in 2000 with a bachelor’s degree in music education, and he was a member of the marching band from 1995 to 1999. He earned two master’s degrees at Ohio State in music education and conducting, according to his university biography.

Ohio State plans to name an interim director soon, Drake said, before beginning a search for a permanent director. That search could include candidates in the band or outside, Drake said.

Among other recommendations, the report calls a review of university oversight of the band, new training for band members and staff members, and continued surveys of band members to gauge whether things are changing.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/...aters.html

07-24-2014 01:39 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
This one time.... at bamp camp....

07-24-2014 02:25 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
A little hazing is ok but you gotta be careful with the girls. I be this culture goes way back.

07-24-2014 03:00 PM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

DonatorsDonators
Wasn't there a death at one of the "historical black colleges" over a marching band hazing incident?

07-24-2014 03:28 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(07-24-2014 03:28 PM)ctipton Wrote:  Wasn't there a death at one of the "historical black colleges" over a marching band hazing incident?

That would not surprise me because they take that band stuff to a different level.

07-24-2014 03:37 PM
Advertisement

JackieTreehorn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Bearcats
(07-24-2014 03:28 PM)ctipton Wrote:  Wasn't there a death at one of the "historical black colleges" over a marching band hazing incident?

I think that happened at Florida A&M.

Maybe some one was messing with Brutus' nuts at tO$U....Rimshot

07-24-2014 03:38 PM
beck Offline
All American

I Root For:
(07-24-2014 03:38 PM)JackieTreehorn Wrote:  

I think that happened at Florida A&M.

Maybe some one was messing with Brutus' nuts at tO$U....Rimshot

One would almost be led to think there was a lack of institutional control in CBus, what doesn't go on up there?

07-24-2014 05:08 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

Honestly the PC police won.

07-24-2014 05:56 PM
mptnstr@44 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Nati Bearcats
(07-24-2014 05:56 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  Honestly the PC police won.

I'm sorry. This isn't the level of the squeaky wheel or PC police.

If a girl band member was forced to imitate sex acts on the laps of other members including her brother there is something seriously wrong. That's disgusting and perverse. If the band director knew about it or even witnessed it he deserves to be fired.

07-24-2014 09:01 PM
bww Offline
McCuse

I Root For: Bearcats
OH
NO!

07-24-2014 09:52 PM
Advertisement

Eastside_J Away
Impressing Jodie Foster

I Root For: Cincinnati.
Donators
(07-24-2014 09:01 PM)mptnstr@44 Wrote:  

I'm sorry. This isn't the level of the squeaky wheel or PC police.

If a girl band member was forced to imitate sex acts on the laps of other members including her brother there is something seriously wrong. That's disgusting and perverse. If the band director knew about it or even witnessed it he deserves to be fired.

I agree that was stupidly ridiculous and really points to a culture that isn't self-policing. But my guess is both brother and sister are fine, if not a little embarassed for not having the balls to tell a ringleader to FO.

07-24-2014 11:38 PM
Eastside_J Away
Impressing Jodie Foster

I Root For: Cincinnati.
Donators

That is absolutely right. IMO it is really about the pussification of America.

We no longer hold a higher virtue (expept in fictional movies) for people who stand up for themselves and stand up for others. But still honor people, without judgement, who go along with the offense and claim victim status later.

07-24-2014 11:49 PM
beck Offline
All American

I Root For:
East, wtf did these morons think would happen if this stuff came to light? The band culture is probably its own little world and what goes on there is their business; if what goes in there is accepted, even expected and nobody gets hurt then I really don't care what they do.
These people , however, are at a school that deservedly has been under scrutiny for a myriad of things yet they are just chugging along doing their thing like they are insulated from all of that
Wrong.

It was only a matter of time til someone took offense and yes, some of it is PC, but if you are not aware of being PC then you just aren't paying attention. I have no sympathy for that band director or that culture but I'm sure they don't give one damn about what I think.If this was the first time this was brought up to the director maybe a suspension rather than dismissal would have been posssible, but who knows swhat went down and how it went down.

As for no longer standing up etc I disagree.

07-25-2014 06:29 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(07-25-2014 06:29 AM)beck Wrote:  East, wtf did these morons think would happen if this stuff came to light? The band culture is probably its own little world and what goes on there is their business; if what goes in there is accepted, even expected and nobody gets hurt then I really don't care what they do.
These people , however, are at a school that deservedly has been under scrutiny for a myriad of things yet they are just chugging along doing their thing like they are insulated from all of that
Wrong.

It was only a matter of time til someone took offense and yes, some of it is PC, but if you are not aware of being PC then you just aren't paying attention. I have no sympathy for that band director or that culture but I'm sure they don't give one damn about what I think.If this was the first time this was brought up to the director maybe a suspension rather than dismissal would have been posssible, but who knows swhat went down and how it went down.

I work in a line of business that cleans up messes like this. Usually the newspaper articles that follow gives a thin summary of what happened, but what really happens is usually much worse than what is covered (genally speaking the public can't handle it). My guess is there is a lot more going on than people simulating sexual acts and co-eds stripping down to their underwear.

07-25-2014 07:15 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(07-25-2014 06:29 AM)beck Wrote:  East, wtf did these morons think would happen if this stuff came to light? The band culture is probably its own little world and what goes on there is their business; if what goes in there is accepted, even expected and nobody gets hurt then I really don't care what they do.
Wrong.

How come the individual students, who actually did the hazing didn't get booted out of school? T OSU needed a scapegoat.

07-25-2014 07:19 AM
Advertisement

mptnstr@44 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Nati Bearcats
(07-25-2014 07:19 AM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  
Wrong.

How come the individual students, who actually did the hazing didn't get booted out of school? T OSU needed a scapegoat.

Who is to say that isn't still to come once the dust settles? Firing the director would be the first thing to do since Ohio is an At Will state.
And if students are kicked out due to FERPA laws (if they have blocks on their info) we may never know if and why they were kicked out.

07-25-2014 07:31 AM
beck Offline
All American

I Root For:
(07-25-2014 07:19 AM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  
Wrong.

Sure they did, which makes it all that much more silly that he let it happen. Did he get a raw deal, maybe, but in this day and age if you are an admin, especially at a school under intense scrutiny then you ought to know better.

(This post was last modified: 07-25-2014 03:11 PM by beck.)
07-25-2014 03:10 PM
colohank Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincy
By all accounts, Jon Waters was a talented and accomplished band director, so it's a real shame that he had to be fired. Let's hope that Gordon Gee offers him a job at West Virginia University. I, for one, would look forward to his new and innovative "burning couch" and "hurtling batteries" band formations at half-time, capped off by a script West Virginia formation with no less than THREE base horns strutting out to dot the Is (if they spell it correctly...).

07-28-2014 05:24 PM
beck Offline
All American

I Root For:
http://thelantern.com/2014/07/letter-to-...-director/

They're whining about it on Facebook, haha. The gift that keeps on giving.

07-29-2014 07:27 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.