Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Tulane delivers the NOLA market?
Bookmark and Share
Louisianafanrcajun90 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UL
Rolleyes Tulane delivers the NOLA market?
07-23-2014 08:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

rbostic287 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: GA Southern
RE: Tulane delivers the NOLA market?
Maybe they meant LSU, lol. It is safe to say they probably don't. Just like most Sun Belt and CUSA teams don't deliver any sizable market share in their state. We can all go around and beat our chest and yell to the hills that we do but the truth of the matter is we all share a state with P5 schools. That should tell us all something. Now what we all have along with Tulane and the CUSA schools is a share in our perspective markets. Over time this will and has grown for all of us including the FCS newbies. I could be wrong and you all are 1 an 1a with your P5 brethren. I can say this, living in the state of georgia most of my life UGA by far gets about 85% of the market share here with the other FBS schools splitting the rest.
07-23-2014 11:44 PM
BRtransplant Offline
1st String

I Root For: La Tech
(07-23-2014 11:44 PM)rbostic287 Wrote:  Maybe they meant LSU, lol. It is safe to say they probably don't. Just like most Sun Belt and CUSA teams don't deliver any sizable market share in their state. We can all go around and beat our chest and yell to the hills that we do but the truth of the matter is we all share a state with P5 schools. That should tell us all something. Now what we all have along with Tulane and the CUSA schools is a share in our perspective markets. Over time this will and has grown for all of us including the FCS newbies. I could be wrong and you all are 1 an 1a with your P5 brethren. I can say this, living in the state of georgia most of my life UGA by far gets about 85% of the market share here with the other FBS schools splitting the rest.

LSU owns New Orleans just like it owns the rest of the state of Louisiana. LSU is the only P-5 conference member in our state, so 90% of the casual fans in the state are LSU fans first and foremost. We're no different than other states that have this same situation. How many people living in Arkansas aren't Razorback fans? Not many, and that will never change. Still, many G-5 programs are quality programs, even though we'll likely always play second fiddle to the P-5 programs in our states.
07-24-2014 07:12 AM
AppManDG Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State
How about some of you Cajun folks getting over to the stadium and taking some some pictures of the new video board and seating expansion.
07-24-2014 07:20 AM
Seminole Indian Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas
(07-24-2014 07:12 AM)BRtransplant Wrote:  
(07-23-2014 11:44 PM)rbostic287 Wrote:  Maybe they meant LSU, lol. It is safe to say they probably don't. Just like most Sun Belt and CUSA teams don't deliver any sizable market share in their state. We can all go around and beat our chest and yell to the hills that we do but the truth of the matter is we all share a state with P5 schools. That should tell us all something. Now what we all have along with Tulane and the CUSA schools is a share in our perspective markets. Over time this will and has grown for all of us including the FCS newbies. I could be wrong and you all are 1 an 1a with your P5 brethren. I can say this, living in the state of georgia most of my life UGA by far gets about 85% of the market share here with the other FBS schools splitting the rest.

LSU owns New Orleans just like it owns the rest of the state of Louisiana. LSU is the only P-5 conference member in our state, so 90% of the casual fans in the state are LSU fans first and foremost. We're no different than other states that have this same situation. How many people living in Arkansas aren't Razorback fans? Not many, and that will never change. Still, many G-5 programs are quality programs, even though we'll likely always play second fiddle to the P-5 programs in our states.
The State of Arkansas says 51% of the people in Arkansas identify themselves as Razorback fans, and 17 % as ASU fans.
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2014 07:42 AM by Seminole Indian.)
07-24-2014 07:26 AM
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns
How many times have we heard talk of market and potential with zero evidence that said team has ever delivered on either?

If you can't win and get butts in the seats, then what makes one believe you can people to watch on television?

Tulane was once a pretty powerful program and should get a nice bump in local interest kicking off this year because of their new on-campus stadium. If they can win consistently and put a decent product on the field, they can leverage that interest into something bigger. If they fail (and I believe this year is critical), it's probably going to take them a long time to recover. For that reason I think they were one of the AAC's biggest gambles.

A lot of Tulane fans are po'd about the size of the new stadium and a miserable season would leave an even worse taste in their ass.
07-24-2014 07:35 AM
Advertisement

1st String

(07-24-2014 07:35 AM)CajunFanatico Wrote:  How many times have we heard talk of market and potential with zero evidence that said team has ever delivered on either?

If you can't win and get butts in the seats, then what makes one believe you can people to watch on television?

Tulane was once a pretty powerful program and should get a nice bump in local interest kicking off this year because of their new on-campus stadium. If they can win consistently and put a decent product on the field, they can leverage that interest into something bigger. If they fail (and I believe this year is critical), it's probably going to take them a long time to recover. For that reason I think they were one of the AAC's biggest gambles.

A lot of Tulane fans are po'd about the size of the new stadium and a miserable season would leave an even worse taste in their ass.

I agree that this year is critical. If they stink it up, it will just be an empty new stadium in no time. The local media will cover UL if we are winning. They did several spots on the baseball team this summer.
07-24-2014 08:00 AM
Louisiana99 Online
All American

I Root For: Louisiana

The Saints own the New Orleans market.
07-24-2014 08:10 AM
1st String

(07-24-2014 08:10 AM)Louisiana99 Wrote:  

The pecking order is as follows: Saints, LSU, Pelicans, Tulane and UL if we are winning. Throw in SELU every now and then and that is the market. It is common to see Cajun decals on cars while driving the Causeway. If we keep winning and growing I can see us moving past Tulane.
07-24-2014 08:27 AM
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

There are plenty of Cajun alumni living in the New Orleans metropolitan area, north shore, etc. That's one way we manage to get 35,000 Cajun fans at the New Orleans Bowl when averaging 26,000 at home.
07-24-2014 08:33 AM
chrisattsu Offline
Mom's Favorite

I Root For: Tarleton / TXST
Just like Northwestern is Chicago's team 01-wingedeagle
[Image: 2013-billboard-on-294.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2014 10:34 AM by chrisattsu.)
07-24-2014 10:33 AM
Advertisement

LaTechBanjo Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: LaTech
(07-24-2014 08:27 AM)Louisianafanrcajun90 Wrote:  

The pecking order is as follows: Saints, LSU, Pelicans, Tulane and UL if we are winning. Throw in SELU every now and then and that is the market. It is common to see Cajun decals on cars while driving the Causeway. If we keep winning and growing I can see us moving past Tulane.

Life-long GNO resident. You're close but not quite there. Grandfather and father grew up Tulane fans.

Tulane has been marginalized in New Orleans, almost to the point of obscurity. The stadium should help some. But frankly, it's too little, too late. Their problem is that they don't have enough local students, and thus, alumni. The days of growing up a Tulane fan just because they are the local team seem to have passed New Orleans by, just like the school itself.

There will never be continued support for either ULL or LA Tech in New Orleans, regardless of sustained winning. They'll both get a little coverage, and I'll give you that ULL tends to get a little more notice than Tech when they win. But New Orleans is all about the Saints. Always have been, always will be. There is just no room left to care about any other team as much, including LSU. They're squarely the second fiddle, and will never trump the Saints.
07-24-2014 10:38 AM
PhillyApp1 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: APP STATE
My unofficial visual survey says APP STATE owns charlotte market...data collected by visual sightings of APP vs. 49'er stickers on cars ;-)

Confirmation will be gained when APP vs. 49'ers play at BOA stadium someday
07-24-2014 11:09 AM
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

(07-24-2014 10:38 AM)LaTechBanjo Wrote:  Life-long GNO resident. You're close but not quite there. Grandfather and father grew up Tulane fans.

Tulane has been marginalized in New Orleans, almost to the point of obscurity. The stadium should help some. But frankly, it's too little, too late. Their problem is that they don't have enough local students, and thus, alumni. The days of growing up a Tulane fan just because they are the local team seem to have passed New Orleans by, just like the school itself.

There will never be continued support for either ULL or LA Tech in New Orleans, regardless of sustained winning. They'll both get a little coverage, and I'll give you that ULL tends to get a little more notice than Tech when they win. But New Orleans is all about the Saints. Always have been, always will be. There is just no room left to care about any other team as much, including LSU. They're squarely the second fiddle, and will never trump the Saints.

Interesting comments LaTechBanjo and thanks for the input.

If the attendance patterns I saw while attending USL still hold today, then I'd wager there are probably more Cajun alumni than Wave alumni living in the New Orleans area. Virtually all the new friends I made when I first started at USL were from New Orleans, the west bank, the river parishes, all the way down to Buras. It was impressive how many folks from New Orleans drove through Baton Rouge to attend USL.

There just aren't many undergrads at Tulane and, from what I understand, a significant portion of them are from out-of-state. That's to say, they likely leave the state afer graduating from Tulane.
07-24-2014 11:40 AM
1st String

(07-24-2014 10:38 AM)LaTechBanjo Wrote:  

Life-long GNO resident. You're close but not quite there. Grandfather and father grew up Tulane fans.

When I first moved here in 93 it was all Saints with a little LSU and Tulane sprinkled in. LSU sucked back then. Over the last decade or so with LSU doing well, people went to Baton Rouge and Tulane fell by the wayside. LA Tech is NEVER mentioned. There's a ton of alumni here. If we could manage to get into the top 25 they will cover us. WWL does a little bit called "Louisiana Made and Louisiana Proud", UL was on one of those spots. I've never seen another non local university highlighted in one of those sports.
07-24-2014 12:47 PM
LaTechBanjo Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: LaTech
(07-24-2014 12:47 PM)Louisianafanrcajun90 Wrote:  
(07-24-2014 07:12 AM)BRtransplant Wrote:  LSU owns New Orleans just like it owns the rest of the state of Louisiana. LSU is the only P-5 conference member in our state, so 90% of the casual fans in the state are LSU fans first and foremost. We're no different than other states that have this same situation. How many people living in Arkansas aren't Razorback fans? Not many, and that will never change. Still, many G-5 programs are quality programs, even though we'll likely always play second fiddle to the P-5 programs in our states.

When I first moved here in 93 it was all Saints with a little LSU and Tulane sprinkled in. LSU sucked back then. Over the last decade or so with LSU doing well, people went to Baton Rouge and Tulane fell by the wayside. LA Tech is NEVER mentioned. There's a ton of alumni here. If we could manage to get into the top 25 they will cover us. WWL does a little bit called "Louisiana Made and Louisiana Proud", UL was on one of those spots. I've never seen another non local university highlighted in one of those sports.

We got a decent bit of coverage during the 2011/2012 Seasons, and last year since we shared conference with CUSA, especially hoops season. You're just not looking for it. It's there.
07-24-2014 01:36 PM
Advertisement

BRtransplant Offline
1st String

I Root For: La Tech

My bad. I meant to say that LSU owns the New Orleans market as far as college football goes. No doubt that the Saints are by far the #1 sports entity in New Orleans.
07-24-2014 03:50 PM
1st String

(07-24-2014 01:36 PM)LaTechBanjo Wrote:  
(07-24-2014 08:10 AM)Louisiana99 Wrote:  The Saints own the New Orleans market.

We got a decent bit of coverage during the 2011/2012 Seasons, and last year since we shared conference with CUSA, especially hoops season. You're just not looking for it. It's there.

That's very little coverage. I believe they mentioned a year as so or ago when Tech was briefly in the top 25. Honestly that is the only thing I can remember. I travel the Causeway everyday and it is common to see Cajun decals and every once in a while you will see a Tech one. You're not trying to claim the NOLA market? Tech does have a few alumni around here but nothing like the Cajuns. I'm sure Shreveport is a different story.

Winning and getting our large NOLA Alumni base to travel two hours is the key to growing our program. USM has a large alumni base here too. I would love to see an annual game between us in the Superdome.
07-24-2014 04:03 PM
RustonCAT Offline
1st String

I Root For: stAte/Latech
(07-24-2014 04:03 PM)Louisianafanrcajun90 Wrote:  
(07-24-2014 01:36 PM)LaTechBanjo Wrote:  
(07-24-2014 08:27 AM)Louisianafanrcajun90 Wrote:  The pecking order is as follows: Saints, LSU, Pelicans, Tulane and UL if we are winning. Throw in SELU every now and then and that is the market. It is common to see Cajun decals on cars while driving the Causeway. If we keep winning and growing I can see us moving past Tulane.

That's very little coverage. I believe they mentioned a year as so or ago when Tech was briefly in the top 25. Honestly that is the only thing I can remember. I travel the Causeway everyday and it is common to see Cajun decals and every once in a while you will see a Tech one. You're not trying to claim the NOLA market? Tech does have a few alumni around here but nothing like the Cajuns. I'm sure Shreveport is a different story.

Winning and getting our large NOLA Alumni base to travel two hours is the key to growing our program. USM has a large alumni base here too. I would love to see an annual game between us in the Superdome.

Shreveport is the biggest melting pot ever. Nobody but LSU has a decent percent support here.
07-24-2014 06:47 PM
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

(07-24-2014 04:03 PM)Louisianafanrcajun90 Wrote:  That's very little coverage. I believe they mentioned a year as so or ago when Tech was briefly in the top 25. Honestly that is the only thing I can remember. I travel the Causeway everyday and it is common to see Cajun decals and every once in a while you will see a Tech one. You're not trying to claim the NOLA market? Tech does have a few alumni around here but nothing like the Cajuns. I'm sure Shreveport is a different story.

Has the Cajun athletic department recognized that fact and made an effort to encourage our alumni scattered throughout the greater NO area to attend some of our home games? It's not that bad a drive at all.

The city would benefit too from increased tourism.....hotels and restaurants especially. Maybe even encourage some of the hotels and restaurants to give special rates for those visiting to attend games? Dunno, just thinking off the top of my skull cap.
07-24-2014 09:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.