Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

'14-'15 Men's B-ball
Bookmark and Share
Tribeheart Offline
Heisman

I Root For: William & Mary
'14-'15 Men's B-ball
Marcus Thornton stated in his "3 for Thornton" vid:
1) team has looked really good, best summer "pickup" for team he has seen in his prior three years, despite losing 6 seniors
2) players who have stood out -
Sean Sheldon and Jack Whitman improved tremendously, especially in finishing around the basket and rim, should help team alot
Greg Malinowski has looked good as a freshman
07-20-2014 12:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tribeheart Offline
Heisman

RE: '14-'15 Men's B-ball
Been watching the daily College Sports Madness Men's Basketball Top 144 countdown. Last year we were picked around 122, I believe, and the analysis for the whole preview seemed pretty reasonable for most teams.

To date, Drexel picked #129, 3rd in CAA.

Had figured that would leave us and Northeastern.

Then today, they picked Delaware #108, 2nd in CAA, despite noting Threatt being gone. Hard to place much credence in this year's previews/predictions after that.

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/mens...4-previews
07-23-2014 10:09 PM
BigTribe Offline
2nd String

This is the first time in many years, certainly since Tony arrived, that our guys have a chance to follow up a good season with another good season; usually outstanding years are followed by a total collapse back to mediocrity. Consistency in winning is, of course, the standard good college basketball programs achieve year in, year out no matter the personnel losses from the previous season.

Even though we lost six seniors off last year's very competitive squad, including two starters
and a seasoned sub, we appear, barring injury, on the cusp of another good season.
07-24-2014 06:08 AM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

I can see why outsiders would pick us low going into next season. We lost our big man and our point guard. And I worry about who will pick up the scoring load if defenses focus on Marcus (hopefully Omar). All that being said I could see our team having a great season next year. We have a bunch of guys ready to step up and contribute. Plus the conference is wide open for us.
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2014 07:08 AM by zablenoise.)
07-24-2014 07:08 AM
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

Re: '14-'15 Men's B-ball
This team should be very athletic, deep, & able to put up points. I think inside they will be fine. They could get into trouble having to play guys out of position if the bigs get into foul trouble. It will be different this year in that the offense should run outside to inside, with the bigs more so facilitators that crash rather than an early scoring option.

The biggest questions for me are the same as every year. Can they consistently defend? Can they rebound and keep opponents 2nd chances to a minimum? Will they limit turnovers? If the Tribe does these things, we should be looking at another 20 win season with talk of postseason play.
07-24-2014 07:33 AM
MemTGRS Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
(07-24-2014 07:08 AM)zablenoise Wrote:  I can see why outsiders would pick us low going into next season. We lost our big man and our point guard. And I worry about who will pick up the scoring load if defenses focus on Marcus (hopefully Omar). All that being said I could see our team having a great season next year. We have a bunch of guys ready to step up and contribute. Plus the conference is wide open for us.

+1. Really looking forward to watching Marcus one more year.
07-24-2014 03:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

VCU broadcaster Mike Litos talked to coach Shaver & tweeted:

For the Tribe fans: Omar Prewitt was #caahoops ROY, and Shaver said "I thought Schlotman would have the biggest impact of all (freshmen)."

Mike Schlotman played 11mins against Wichita State as a FR and then got hurt. Redshirt freshman with promise for the Tribe.

Tribe SID Kris Sears tweeted back:

multiple players to me during pickup, "I love playing with Mike." Gets guys open shots.

best passer I have seen at In my 9 years at W&M. Watching him and Marcus do ball handling drills together is entertaining
07-26-2014 08:58 PM
62Indian Online
Special Teams

I Root For: W&M
Really excited, and looking forward to seeing Mike Schlotman and Jack Whitman on the floor this coming year. It is unheard of for W&M to have TWO talented Redshirt Freshmen able to actually play and contribute to the team after practicing with the team for their first year. And to think they both have four years of eligibility remaining!!

The future looks bright for Tribe Basketball!!!
07-26-2014 09:42 PM
BigTribe Offline
2nd String

Tony's biggest job will be integrating all this talent to play as a team, to develop his substitution patterns and player minutes.

Mike Schlotman is going to delight all basketball purists and Tribe fans...he is the penultimate point guard and will make everyone better. And don't forget the new true freshman point guard,
Omar Tot (two Omars on the team! Got to be the "Double-Os")....Tot has lots of international experience at point guard and once he learns Tony's offense he'll give us two at that key position. Mike is 6-4 and Tot is 6-6...they will give defenders lots to handle.

This team will be interesting to watch develop.
07-27-2014 07:12 AM
WM_Destro Offline
Special Teams

(07-27-2014 07:12 AM)BigTribe Wrote:  And don't forget the new true freshman point guard,
Omar Tot (two Omars on the team! Got to be the "Double-Os")

They can still be the "Double-Os," but Tot's first name is Oliver, not Omar.
07-27-2014 07:33 AM
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

With all of the guards on the roster, I think you are going to see more of a blurring in the roles of the PG & SG positions. I think they all will be expected to learn & run the offense from either spot. The players each bring certain strengths to the table, but are almost interchangeable.

Thornton - 6'4
Schlotman - 6'4
Dixon - 6'5
Burchfield - 6'4
Malinowski - 6'5
Tot - 6'6
07-27-2014 08:43 AM
Advertisement

62Indian Online
Special Teams

(07-27-2014 07:33 AM)WM_Destro Wrote:  
(07-27-2014 07:12 AM)BigTribe Wrote:  And don't forget the new true freshman point guard,
Omar Tot (two Omars on the team! Got to be the "Double-Os")

They can still be the "Double-Os," but Tot's first name is Oliver, not Omar.

Big Tribe is on a roll again - when this happens, it is best not to get in the way!
07-27-2014 09:40 AM
Tribe4SF Offline
1st String

(07-27-2014 07:12 AM)BigTribe Wrote:  ...he is the penultimate point guard and will make everyone better.

Ok, I know we're all from the College of Knowledge, but I'm a little slow. How exactly is Schlotman the next to last point guard?
07-27-2014 10:03 AM
62Indian Online
Special Teams

(07-27-2014 10:03 AM)Tribe4SF Wrote:  
(07-27-2014 07:12 AM)BigTribe Wrote:  ...he is the penultimate point guard and will make everyone better.

Ok, I know we're all from the College of Knowledge, but I'm a little slow. How exactly is Schlotman the next to last point guard?

And, Big Tribe continues to ROLL!!!
07-27-2014 02:14 PM
Tribal Offline

Re: RE: '14-'15 Men's B-ball
(07-27-2014 02:14 PM)62Indian Wrote:  
(07-27-2014 10:03 AM)Tribe4SF Wrote:  

And, Big Tribe continues to ROLL!!!

It wasn't too long ago that BT challenged a word I used...cited his online dictionary and everything. I warned him at that time that his mockery would boomerang. All in good fun.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
07-27-2014 04:16 PM
BigTribe Offline
2nd String

I am guilty and appreciate the comments and stand abashed!

It appears I had my Omars mixed up...I imagine I was thinking of the Tentmaker when writing about Tot.

What I said about Tot goes, however...he's a year older than most freshmen and his experience playing and starting with the Slovakian national under-20 team provides us with a second
point guard to go with Schlotman. Not too many 6'6" point guards in the CAA either.
07-28-2014 05:54 AM
Advertisement

wanm65 Offline
Special Teams

I think BigTribe hit the wrong button. He actually was saying:

quin·tes·sen·tial
quintessential

representing the most perfect or typical example of a quality or class.
"he was the quintessential tough guy—strong, silent, and self-contained"
synonyms: prototypical, stereotypical, archetypal, classic, model;
ideal, consummate, exemplary, definitive, best, ultimate
07-28-2014 07:08 AM
Below avg Offline
Water Engineer

We are so fortunate that Marcus has been a stand up guy and honored his commitment to the college. I regret that I wasn't able to make it out to any games last season. I was at the Ted Constant Center the previous season to watch him hang 32 on ODU. My goal this year is five home games. I kind of feel that the fan base needs to send him out on a high note.
07-28-2014 08:37 PM
BigTribe Offline
2nd String

Boys are taking their summer school exams today and tomorrow...then most will go back home
to return when the College begins the 2014-15 term.

Some interesting tidbits coming out of their workouts here in July:

*Physically, Sheldon is huge. Weighs around 255-265,about twenty-twenty five more pounds than last year...all muscle. Appears to all be in his shoulders, chest and arms. Has spent a lot of time working moves around the basket.

*Prewitt has added a solid fifteen pounds and is not the skinny freshman we saw last year.
His game is more aggressive than ever and he's deadly shooting.

*Daniels has looked outstanding. His athleticism is over the top and he is the best defender on the squad.

*Tarpey has spent much of the spring & summer working on a totally new shot release...we'll see this fall if this pays off.

*Tot spent the summer playing, and is still playing, for the Slovakian National Team and was not in Williamsburg.

*Mike Schlotman is the truest point guard at W&M since Schneider. He shows remarkable
toughness and confidence on the court.
07-31-2014 01:17 PM
tribelifer Offline
1st String

(07-31-2014 01:17 PM)BigTribe Wrote:  *Daniels has looked outstanding. His athleticism is over the top and he is the best defender on the squad.

I think you mean Dixon, but good to hear all the same.
07-31-2014 01:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.