Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CollegeFootballNews.com SBC Team Previews So Far
Bookmark and Share
RamblinRedWolf44 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas StAte
With their latest covering the Red Wolves I thought I'd post all the links to their SunBelt Team Previews so far this offseason:

Arkansas State-http://cfn.scout.com/2/1421413.html

Appalachian State- http://cfn.scout.com/2/1404091.html

Idaho-http://cfn.scout.com/2/1409427.html

Georgia Southern-http://cfn.scout.com/2/1404090.html

Louisiana Lafayette-http://cfn.scout.com/2/1405994.html

**7/20 UPDATE--Georgia State http://cfn.scout.com/2/1422203.html ****

New Mexico State-http://cfn.scout.com/2/1412491.html

Texas State-http://cfn.scout.com/2/1407028.html

Troy-http://cfn.scout.com/2/1420175.html

ULM-http://cfn.scout.com/2/1410491.html

7/28/13 **South Al Preview** http://cfn.scout.com/2/1426844.html
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2014 10:49 AM by RamblinRedWolf44.)
07-16-2014 09:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

I Root For: Ga Southern
RE: CollegeFootballNews.com SBC Team Previews So Far
somebody should go tell the writer for Southern that he is nuts, and arrogant, and those kind of predictions are absurd...
07-16-2014 09:41 AM
StanMolsonMan Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU
(07-16-2014 09:41 AM)NCeagle Wrote:  somebody should go tell the writer for Southern that he is nuts, and arrogant, and those kind of predictions are absurd...

From the post...
The season will be a success if ... the Eagles flirt with an eight-win season. They're not eligible for a bowl game until 2015, but they can win the Sun Belt title this year.

That kool-aid must have come straight from the "beautiful" creek
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2014 09:50 AM by StanMolsonMan.)
07-16-2014 09:48 AM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(07-16-2014 09:48 AM)StanMolsonMan Wrote:  
(07-16-2014 09:41 AM)NCeagle Wrote:  somebody should go tell the writer for Southern that he is nuts, and arrogant, and those kind of predictions are absurd...

From the post...
The season will be a success if ... the Eagles flirt with an eight-win season. They're not eligible for a bowl game until 2015, but they can win the Sun Belt title this year.

That kool-aid must have come straight from the "beautiful" creek

He's been saying that about Southern for a while. His overall outlook for the SBC was something like.

"South Alabama is excellent, ULM is dangerous, and Troy and Georgia Southern will challenge for the title, but ultimately the SBC Championship should come down to the Arkansas State at Louisiana Lafayette showdown on Oct 21st."

He's been really pushing how good the Eagles can be. I will admit, not playing stAte or ULL is a huge advantage. Realistically, the only conference game that looks like a likely loss for the Eagles is their early season trip to Mobile. That being said, the home games against Troy, ULM, and App are virtual land mines that could cause a ton of problems if they are having trouble adjusting to FBS depth.
07-16-2014 10:23 AM
TrueBlueAlum Offline
1st String

I Root For: GA Southern
(07-16-2014 10:23 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  He's been saying that about Southern for a while. His overall outlook for the SBC was something like.

"South Alabama is excellent, ULM is dangerous, and Troy and Georgia Southern will challenge for the title, but ultimately the SBC Championship should come down to the Arkansas State at Louisiana Lafayette showdown on Oct 21st."

He's been really pushing how good the Eagles can be. I will admit, not playing stAte or ULL is a huge advantage. Realistically, the only conference game that looks like a likely loss for the Eagles is their early season trip to Mobile. That being said, the home games against Troy, ULM, and App are virtual land mines that could cause a ton of problems if they are having trouble adjusting to FBS depth.

This. I think he hit the nail on the head. Our first conference game against USA in Mobile will tell the rest of the conference a lot about what they can expect from us this season. It will be our 4th game so by then the offensive kinks should have been worked out. I'm not predicting 8-4 like that guy, but I'm not going to say its out of the realm of possibility.

To be honest, most of the games on our schedule because of who we play and WHERE we play them have me doing this:
[Image: maybe.gif]
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2014 10:42 AM by TrueBlueAlum.)
07-16-2014 10:30 AM
GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
"The Mountaineers had suffered just one losing season – a 4-7 campaign in 1993 – in 29 years and just two since Mack Brown piloted a 6-5 season in 1983. Satterfield stepped in and ASU started out 1-6 on the way to a disastrous 8-4 season."

You guys better watch out for us. If we can take a 1-6 season and turn it into a disastrous 8-4 season,
you don't have a chance. Heck of an achievement.

http://cfn.scout.com/2/1404091.html

[Image: 1986jehxh984xjpg_zps5f397bd5.jpg~original]
07-16-2014 10:40 AM
Advertisement

Seminole Indian Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas
(07-16-2014 10:30 AM)TrueBlueAlum Wrote:  
(07-16-2014 10:23 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  He's been saying that about Southern for a while. His overall outlook for the SBC was something like.

This. I think he hit the nail on the head. Our first conference game against USA in Mobile will tell the rest of the conference a lot about what they can expect from us this season. It will be our 4th game so by then the offensive kinks should have been worked out. I'm not predicting 8-4 like that guy, but I'm not going to say its out of the realm of possibility.

To be honest, most of the games on our schedule because of who we play and WHERE we play them have me doing this:
[Image: ?p=17032]
Hard to find anyone out there that does not think AppSt and GaSt are going to be very, very solid FBS programs.

This year however is going to be a shock for their fan's and not in a positive way.

GaSt is the only SBC team that should not handle both with relative ease.

Simply do not have the FBS depth to be a factor, except in an upset, and that probably only happens if the other team takes a win for granted. The depth required at every position to be successful over a season of FBS football is something FCS fans simply cannot grasp.

In fact that has been the downfall of a number of good SBC teams that have started out like gang busters , then faded down the stretch and I still question the quality of their depth.
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2014 10:52 AM by Seminole Indian.)
07-16-2014 10:52 AM
Hemi Man Offline
Hector's Homeboy

I Root For: Troy
(07-16-2014 10:52 AM)Seminole Indian Wrote:  

Hard to find anyone out there that does not think AppSt and GaSt are going to be very, very solid FBS programs.

This year however is going to be a shock for their fan's and not in a positive way.

Simply do not have the FBS depth to be a factor, except in an upset, and that probably only happens if the other team takes a win for granted. The depth required at every position to be successful over a season of FBS football is something FCS fans simply cannot grasp.

In fact that has been the downfall of a number of good SBC teams that have started out like gang busters , then faded down the stretch and I still question the quality of their depth.

Excellent post!

I think I'll have a beer.
07-16-2014 11:06 AM
hapapp Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: App State
I want us to be competitive and am not really focused on the final record. I think most knowledgeable App State fans understand what is before us and have no grand expectations. A .500 season would be great in my opinion but I believe we could be a better team than last year but not necessarily see that in the final won-loss record. I still believe we are a year a way from putting a product on the field that has to be taken seriously.
07-16-2014 11:13 AM
GoApps70 Offline

Thank you, Obi-Wan Kenobi could not have 'splained it better. We have heard this time and time again. Guess we will not be surprised when the shine rubs off the dime late in the season. Guess that's why Louisiana and stAte had the SBC schedule us back to back against them at almost the end of the season. Kidding, but the stars and planets don't seem to be lining up for us, but maybe we can luck out and win one.

[Image: tumblr_n0it73Uwzu1s391qwo1_250_zps70fda125.gif~original]
07-16-2014 11:24 AM
Fanof49ASU Online
Heisman

I Root For: stAte
All the talk has me expecting a lot from the newbies.
07-16-2014 11:34 AM
Advertisement

GoApps70 Offline

(07-16-2014 11:34 AM)Fanof49ASU Wrote:  All the talk has me expecting a lot from the newbies.

Hey, watch that talk, we both are being told that we cannot win.
We just don't have the back ups to win.

What to do, what to do. Guess we will just have to play the starters
for the entire game. Hope they are in shape.

[Image: 159d5042d489fa1542933a3d31f74362f892d113...f~original]
07-16-2014 11:39 AM
BurlingtonApp Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
(07-16-2014 10:52 AM)Seminole Indian Wrote:  Hard to find anyone out there that does not think AppSt and GaSt are going to be very, very solid FBS programs.

I would think Idaho could be added to that list. We'll likely be favorites over them and GaSt, especially at home.

You could add NMSU for GaSo since they play them.
07-16-2014 11:49 AM
DoubleAggie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
CFN is kinda like the National Enquirer of football rags -
not a lot of analysis, but if there's a sensational angle, they'll be sure to go with it.
07-16-2014 11:53 AM
trojanbrutha Offline
Beltbbs Troy Football INsider

I Root For: TROY

I agree that it could be a culture shock, but depth is a general issue in the nonAQ conferences. Quick question for any App fan, didn't they redshirt the entire '13 recruiting class?
07-16-2014 12:12 PM
GoApps70 Offline

(07-16-2014 12:12 PM)trojanbrutha Wrote:  

I agree that it could be a culture shock, but depth is a general issue in the nonAQ conferences. Quick question for any App fan, didn't they redshirt the entire '13 recruiting class?
The coaching staff said they argued over complete redshirting all last off season and finally decided to do it, except for Marcus Cox because we had no other running back. He did pretty well. 21 Touchdowns and 1250 yards as a freshman. Did have to play someone else late in the year, do not remember who that was.
07-16-2014 12:23 PM
Advertisement

Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
(07-16-2014 11:13 AM)hapapp Wrote:  I want us to be competitive and am not really focused on the final record. I think most knowledgeable App State fans understand what is before us and have no grand expectations. A .500 season would be great in my opinion but I believe we could be a better team than last year but not necessarily see that in the final won-loss record. I still believe we are a year a way from putting a product on the field that has to be taken seriously.

You have the right attitude this year.
07-16-2014 03:41 PM
JCGSU Offline
HAIL SOUTHERN

I Root For: GS EAGLES
(07-16-2014 11:13 AM)hapapp Wrote:  I want us to be competitive and am not really focused on the final record. I think most knowledgeable App State fans understand what is before us and have no grand expectations. A .500 season would be great in my opinion but I believe we could be a better team than last year but not necessarily see that in the final won-loss record. I still believe we are a year a way from putting a product on the field that has to be taken seriously.

This, for GaSou for me as well. The W/L record is not as important to me as how well we are playing towards the end of the year and how the recruiting class is shaping up. Anything above .500 would be great our first year.
07-17-2014 11:43 AM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
(07-17-2014 11:43 AM)JCGSU Wrote:  This, for GaSou for me as well. The W/L record is not as important to me as how well we are playing towards the end of the year and how the recruiting class is shaping up. Anything above .500 would be great our first year.

I would think you will be playing worse ball at the end of the year. (In theory) Your starters will be playing more, as you don't have depth built up. By the end of the year, while they may have a better grasp of the system and be able to execute it better, I figure your players will be worn down a bit and therefore the performance might not be too hot.

It's a mixed bag. I agree with your sentiment that anything above .500 is a great year for you guys, but I'd temper it and say 4+ wins is a solid first season.

Now, next year? You guys have your FBS recruiting class from this year primarily redshirted (I would imagine) will have a year in the weight room and a year in the system. So next year, you will have MUCH better depth, which puts you in a position to make a move.
07-17-2014 11:52 AM
NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

I Root For: Ga Southern
(07-17-2014 11:52 AM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  
(07-17-2014 11:43 AM)JCGSU Wrote:  This, for GaSou for me as well. The W/L record is not as important to me as how well we are playing towards the end of the year and how the recruiting class is shaping up. Anything above .500 would be great our first year.

I would think you will be playing worse ball at the end of the year. (In theory) Your starters will be playing more, as you don't have depth built up. By the end of the year, while they may have a better grasp of the system and be able to execute it better, I figure your players will be worn down a bit and therefore the performance might not be too hot.

It's a mixed bag. I agree with your sentiment that anything above .500 is a great year for you guys, but I'd temper it and say 4+ wins is a solid first season.

Now, next year? You guys have your FBS recruiting class from this year primarily redshirted (I would imagine) will have a year in the weight room and a year in the system. So next year, you will have MUCH better depth, which puts you in a position to make a move.

we won't be redshirting many guys this year
07-17-2014 11:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.