ESPN Game Day - Mobile, AL?
Bookmark and Share
MobileBama Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: .
ESPN Game Day - Mobile, AL?
Matchup: Mississippi State at South Alabama

Times hosted before: None

"Last year's late-September trip to Fargo showed that ESPN is willing to go off the beaten (read: power conference) path every now and then for a good story. And there are few better than the one South Alabama is writing in its short college football history.

Formed only in 2010, the program went from 2-11 in 2012 to 6-6 last season, with last year's performance including wins over two bowl teams and a one-touchdown setback at Tennessee. And now the Jaguars get a chance to take down a school from the SEC, the league that not only dominates nationally on a performance level but grabs the attention of most college football lovers in Alabama.

The fans in Mobile love their football and annually support the teams that come into town for the GoDaddy and Senior Bowls. Now it's time to give them, and the USA student body, a chance to bask in the glow of the national spotlight for at least one Saturday"

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/21250...son/page/4
07-15-2014 09:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RamblinRedWolf44 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas StAte
RE: ESPN Game Day - Mobile, AL?
if gameday actually went to ANY of the sunbelt schools for gameday I would be super stoked
07-15-2014 09:57 AM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
I don't think the visuals outside of Ladd Stadium are going to be compelling. Lets face facts, the stadium isn't pretty, nor is the neighborhood.
(This post was last modified: 07-15-2014 10:00 AM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
07-15-2014 10:00 AM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
One location stands out for Game Day... Lafayette. Good tailgating atmosphere, EXCELLENT chance for early high attendance... it's the perfect mix.

If Texas State could fill out the stadium on the reg, I think we'd be a great choice too. But really... you could say that about most, if not all, Sun Belt teams.
07-15-2014 10:02 AM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(07-15-2014 09:53 AM)MobileBama Wrote:  Matchup: Mississippi State at South Alabama

Times hosted before: None

"Last year's late-September trip to Fargo showed that ESPN is willing to go off the beaten (read: power conference) path every now and then for a good story. And there are few better than the one South Alabama is writing in its short college football history.

Formed only in 2010, the program went from 2-11 in 2012 to 6-6 last season, with last year's performance including wins over two bowl teams and a one-touchdown setback at Tennessee. And now the Jaguars get a chance to take down a school from the SEC, the league that not only dominates nationally on a performance level but grabs the attention of most college football lovers in Alabama.

The fans in Mobile love their football and annually support the teams that come into town for the GoDaddy and Senior Bowls. Now it's time to give them, and the USA student body, a chance to bask in the glow of the national spotlight for at least one Saturday"

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/21250...son/page/4

Bleacher Report smoking something good I see. No chance in hades this happens.
07-15-2014 10:10 AM
RamblinRedWolf44 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas StAte
My thoughts on possible Sunbelt games Gameday might go to for their show: (no particular order BTW)

Ga Southern vs App. State (the new youngbloods of the Belt, Eagles finishing their extensive renovations to facilities and the passionate fan bases both have)

La La vs Louisana Tech (tons of people would be at this game, LaLA will have completed their Phase 1 of their expansion to show off, they've been the darlings of every preseason magazines and beat writers so far) I dunno if can beat out the BYU vs Texas or Michigan State vs Notre Dame games that week however.

ULM vs Wake Forest (my thoughts are if they could get an ESPNU All Access show about them, then anything is possible lol)

Utah State vs Arkansas State (I HIGHLY, HIGHLY, doubt first off...despite the Nebraska/Miami match up being that week still not a whole lot of big games scheduled for that week and if the two can get off to fast, hot starts...maybe?)

Texas State vs Navy (they face STIFF competition in terms of big time match ups that week-UCLA vs Texas, Oklahoma vs Tennessee, USC vs Boston College just to name a few-but any time they can show case one of the service academies they'll do it.)
07-15-2014 10:18 AM
Advertisement

BlueBird10 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Georgia Southern
(07-15-2014 10:18 AM)RamblinRedWolf44 Wrote:  My thoughts on possible Sunbelt games Gameday might go to for their show: (no particular order BTW)

Ga Southern vs App. State (the new youngbloods of the Belt, Eagles finishing their extensive renovations to facilities and the passionate fan bases both have)

La La vs Louisana Tech (tons of people would be at this game, LaLA will have completed their Phase 1 of their expansion to show off, they've been the darlings of every preseason magazines and beat writers so far) I dunno if can beat out the BYU vs Texas or Michigan State vs Notre Dame games that week however.

ULM vs Wake Forest (my thoughts are if they could get an ESPNU All Access show about them, then anything is possible lol)

Utah State vs Arkansas State (I HIGHLY, HIGHLY, doubt first off...despite the Nebraska/Miami match up being that week still not a whole lot of big games scheduled for that week and if the two can get off to fast, hot starts...maybe?)

Texas State vs Navy (they face STIFF competition in terms of big time match ups that week-UCLA vs Texas, Oklahoma vs Tennessee, USC vs Boston College just to name a few-but any time they can show case one of the service academies they'll do it.)

The GA Southern/App St game will definitely be a packed house as is but if Gameday came to town...WHOA!

The Louisiana/LA Tech game would be a great one too! The food alone should warrant a Gameday discussion!
07-15-2014 10:28 AM
MobileBama Offline
Special Teams

(07-15-2014 10:00 AM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  I don't think the visuals outside of Ladd Stadium are going to be compelling. Lets face facts, the stadium isn't pretty, nor is the neighborhood.

Agreed. It would have to be on campus next to the bell tower. With a 3pm kick, students and fans could participate then make the short drive to the stadium with plenty of time to tailgate

[Image: slide0044_image003.jpg]
07-15-2014 10:50 AM
GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
If they thought it would happen again they would have the first one at
the big house. Would be great for the conference even away.
Of course they didn't think it would happen the last time.
07-15-2014 10:52 AM
MobileBama Offline
Special Teams

(07-15-2014 10:18 AM)RamblinRedWolf44 Wrote:  My thoughts on possible Sunbelt games Gameday might go to for their show: (no particular order BTW)

Ga Southern vs App. State
La La vs Louisana Tech
ULM vs Wake Forest
Utah State vs Arkansas State
Texas State vs Navy

South Alabama vs Mississippi State beats all of these and it's not even close. Plus there's not a "must see" game on 9/13
(This post was last modified: 07-15-2014 10:54 AM by MobileBama.)
07-15-2014 10:53 AM
Ole Sleepy Offline
1st String

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
Re: RE: ESPN Game Day - Mobile, AL?
(07-15-2014 10:28 AM)I AM an Eagle! Wrote:  

The GA Southern/App St game will definitely be a packed house as is but if Gameday came to town...WHOA!

The Louisiana/LA Tech game would be a great one too! The food alone should warrant a Gameday discussion!
App vs GS is on a Thursday night. Never seen GameDay on anything but a Saturday.

I would argue the App/GS game would be a better matchup and story than USA and MSU. Y'all aren't understanding how big of a game this is.
07-15-2014 10:58 AM
Advertisement

panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(07-15-2014 10:00 AM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  I don't think the visuals outside of Ladd Stadium are going to be compelling. Lets face facts, the stadium isn't pretty, nor is the neighborhood.

Hasn't USC hosted GameDay like 10 or 11 times?
07-15-2014 10:58 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GoApps70 Offline

(07-15-2014 10:58 AM)Ole Sleepy Wrote:  
(07-15-2014 10:28 AM)I AM an Eagle! Wrote:  

App vs GS is on a Thursday night. Never seen GameDay on anything but a Saturday.

I would argue the App/GS game would be a better matchup and story than USA and MSU. Y'all aren't understanding how big of a game this is.
Maybe we will see it happen in Boone in 2015. That way both teams will be bowl eligible if they win enough games. To have it this year without that would probably never happen even if this year's game was on a Saturday.
07-15-2014 11:04 AM
MobileBama Offline
Special Teams

Quote:Y'all aren't understanding how big of a game this is.

This is a great match up but there are two much bigger games that night.
07-15-2014 11:13 AM
trojanbrutha Offline
Beltbbs Troy Football INsider

I Root For: TROY
OMG...it's Bleacher Report, for cryin' out loud...
07-15-2014 11:46 AM
GaSouthern Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Georgia So.
Lots of dreaming going on in here, puff puff pass fellas.
07-15-2014 11:49 AM
Advertisement

panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(07-15-2014 11:49 AM)GaSouthern Wrote:  Lots of dreaming going on in here, puff puff pass fellas.

UH had to go 10-0 AND get BCS ranked before they got a Gameday game in their 11th game of the year in 2011...but please do continue pouring the drinks...
07-15-2014 11:52 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GoApps70 Offline

(07-15-2014 11:49 AM)GaSouthern Wrote:  Lots of dreaming going on in here, puff puff pass fellas.

Need I say more than 46 days. Hot as Hades outside and even soccer is over. Big dream time of the year. Besides would only maybe take us beating Michigan again and both Georgia Southern and Appalachian State having great years this year to happen, maybe. No pressure.
07-15-2014 12:00 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(07-15-2014 10:53 AM)MobileBama Wrote:  

Ga Southern vs App. State
La La vs Louisana Tech
ULM vs Wake Forest
Utah State vs Arkansas State
Texas State vs Navy

South Alabama vs Mississippi State beats all of these and it's not even close. Plus there's not a "must see" game on 9/13

Nothing equals GS/App. Though I do agree with you n the rest.

Issue is that Miss State is not overly respected in the SEC, and USA may be seen as rising, but they've yet to pull off any sort of shocker to deserve the national accolades Gameday brings.
07-15-2014 12:16 PM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
Sure would be neat to see Gameday set up in Sewell right on the river, or by the LBJ statue with the cameras facing up toward Old Main.
07-15-2014 12:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.