Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

First Time you Ever Heard/Saw Other SBC Schools
Bookmark and Share
RamblinRedWolf44 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas StAte
First Time you Ever Heard/Saw Other SBC Schools
Yet another continuous fun thread to comment on while we're in the last leg of June lol...(AND YES...I'll do basketball schools too)

App State: Obviously when y'all knocked off the Wolverines in 2007 was the first time I ever really can recall seeing/hearing of the Appalachian State Mountaineers

ULM/La-La: Though they were known as Northeast and Southwest Louisiana, they've always been linked with Astate in some shape or form.

UALR: Growing up in central Arkansas, it's pretty common to see/hear some form of UALR. Derek Fisher also made the program a pretty hot topic when he played there from 92-96.

Georgia State: This is going to piss Panther fans off so sorry in advance but until I had heard we extended an offer and GSU accepted, I never really knew who Georgia State was. Afterwards researching the university did I learn they had originally been in the Sunbelt. You can throw both F_Us into this catagory

Georgia Southern: My mother had kept an old t-shirt that was for the 1986 Division I-AA National Championship. Of course this prompted me to read up on them and their impressive resume

South Alabama/MTSU/WKU/Idaho: When I really began to follow astate as a fan, this is when I became familiarized with these schools.

UNT: Technically, when I first saw the movie "Necessary Roughness" lol-My cousin that lived in texas also attended school there as well

Troy/New Mexico State: My elder brother's freshman year at Arkansas was my first trip to fayetteville to visit him and on that day the hogs were taking on a team then known as Troy State Trojans. Again in 2004, my first exposure to the Aggies of New Mexico State.

Texas State: I suppose this could fall in line with UNT and "Necessary Roughness" seeing how the bobcats were the fictionalized villains in the movie and the same time the protagonists lol-but my sister's freshman year at UCA when I visited her the Bears were playing the Bobcats in Conway.

UTA: Going through old programs my parents had from the Astate football games from the 70s I saw one of their opponents were the Mavs-still surprised they lost their program and haven't started one back up.
06-29-2014 01:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
RE: First Time you Ever Heard/Saw Other SBC Schools
(06-29-2014 01:30 PM)RamblinRedWolf44 Wrote:  Texas State: I suppose this could fall in line with UNT and "Necessary Roughness" seeing how the bobcats were the fictionalized villains in the movie and the same time the protagonists lol-but my sister's freshman year at UCA when I visited her the Bears were playing the Bobcats in Conway.

To be COMPLETELY fair... SWT played Texas State as Texas State's first game. The villains you are referring to is the University of Texas Colts.

It has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with your post (as you learned of the school(s) in the flick), but you know... I just had to be an a$$
06-29-2014 01:48 PM
RamblinRedWolf44 Offline
1st String

(06-29-2014 01:48 PM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  
(06-29-2014 01:30 PM)RamblinRedWolf44 Wrote:  Texas State: I suppose this could fall in line with UNT and "Necessary Roughness" seeing how the bobcats were the fictionalized villains in the movie and the same time the protagonists lol-but my sister's freshman year at UCA when I visited her the Bears were playing the Bobcats in Conway.

To be COMPLETELY fair... SWT played Texas State as Texas State's first game. The villains you are referring to is the University of Texas Colts.

It has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with your post (as you learned of the school(s) in the flick), but you know... I just had to be an a$$

that's right! totally forgot about that-my bad! :D
06-29-2014 02:19 PM
JoeJag Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
Dang! It is a long, long time until CFB kick-off time. Oh, I know what we can play.

What is your 2nd favorite Sun Belt team. No ties, please.
06-29-2014 02:30 PM
CatMom Online
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
App State: 2005, both our teams were highly ranked the whole season

Georgia State: On the Championshipsubdivision board when they were getting ready to start up their football program. Have to admit most of the posts were not in the nice category. (not from me)

Georgia Southern: 2005 FCS playoffs

WKU: Championshipsubdivision board as they got ready to make their move

Idaho: Not sure when but just because they were a western university, so heard of those schools more often

Troy: Just one of those things/places you heard about over the years so, really, the name I knew coming in.

New Mexico State: Heading to the WAC

UNT: Don't remember, don't care to remember. Just living in TX you kind of get the U's ingrained, I guess. (why are the included anyway?)

UTA: Fellow SLC member, long history.

ULM/La-La/UALR/USA - Knew absolutely nothing until WAC falling apart started to happen and we were checking out the other conferences that we hoped would take us on.
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2014 02:54 PM by CatMom.)
06-29-2014 02:53 PM
RamblinRedWolf44 Offline
1st String

(06-29-2014 02:30 PM)JoeJag Wrote:  Dang! It is a long, long time until CFB kick-off time. Oh, I know what we can play.

What is your 2nd favorite Sun Belt team. No ties, please.

In response to your question Joe, gotta go with South Al.
I met and befriended many individuals from the program during the first trip to the godaddy bowl in '11 when I was still working for the red wolves team and the additional trips to Mobile really warmed me up to the area and the Jags nation.
06-29-2014 03:03 PM
Advertisement

BurlingtonApp Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
App State: I used to vacation to Blowing Rock (about 5 minutes from Boone) with the family growing up, and we would always go out to eat in Boone. It made a pretty good impression on me, obviously 04-rock

Georgia Southern: My freshman year at App, we played GSU and beat the breaks off of them in Boone, setting a precedent for the years to come 05-mafia (jk GS fans, you beat us the next year)

Georgia State: Honestly, I hadn't heard of GSU until I heard it mentioned in a Drake song. Then I got much more familiar when I found out we were moving on up and I was checking out who was in the conference.

Idaho: I got dragged to a miserably hot game in Chapel Hill where Idaho was playing UNC. I've never seen a more empty stadium than the second half of that one.

Troy: I couldn't tell you when, but I've been familiar with the name for a while now, just from word of mouth.

ULM: Remember them beating Alabama a few years back, I had a Tide friend who was pretty down on his program for a while.

ULL: I remember hearing "Ragin Cajuns" growing up, usually basketball related, but never knew the school it was referring to specifically. Really got introduced to them when they beat up on ECU in a bowl a couple years back.

NMSU: Remember hearing about the basketball program a bit a few years back, couldn't tell ya much else.

stAte- Heard of them when I saw that was where Malzahn was gonna be coaching at. I knew he was the real deal, not Chizik, when Auburn made their run a few years back.

UTA/UALR/USA- When we moved up, looked up all these guys to see who else was in the conference. No offense, just hadn't came across them up to that point.
06-29-2014 03:22 PM
CatMom Online
Getting Old Sucks!

(06-29-2014 03:22 PM)BurlingtonApp Wrote:  App State: I used to vacation to Blowing Rock (about 5 minutes from Boone) with the family growing up, and we would always go out to eat in Boone. It made a pretty good impression on me, obviously 04-rock

Georgia Southern: My freshman year at App, we played GSU and beat the breaks off of them in Boone, setting a precedent for the years to come 05-mafia (jk GS fans, you beat us the next year)

Georgia State: Honestly, I hadn't heard of GSU until I heard it mentioned in a Drake song. Then I got much more familiar when I found out we were moving on up and I was checking out who was in the conference.

Idaho: I got dragged to a miserably hot game in Chapel Hill where Idaho was playing UNC. I've never seen a more empty stadium than the second half of that one.

Troy: I couldn't tell you when, but I've been familiar with the name for a while now, just from word of mouth.

ULM: Remember them beating Alabama a few years back, I had a Tide friend who was pretty down on his program for a while.

ULL: I remember hearing "Ragin Cajuns" growing up, usually basketball related, but never knew the school it was referring to specifically. Really got introduced to them when they beat up on ECU in a bowl a couple years back.

NMSU: Remember hearing about the basketball program a bit a few years back, couldn't tell ya much else.

stAte- Heard of them when I saw that was where Malzahn was gonna be coaching at. I knew he was the real deal, not Chizik, when Auburn made their run a few years back.

UTA/UALR/USA- When we moved up, looked up all these guys to see who else was in the conference. No offense, just hadn't came across them up to that point.
So, you've never heard of TXST then? I can post links. 05-duck
06-29-2014 03:53 PM
geauxcajuns Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
App State: Had a HS basketball coach who played basketball there, the Michigan win and a friend from flight school who graduated from Ap St.

Georgia Southern: Never heard of them until just before the invite.

Georgia State: Never heard of them until just before the invite.

Idaho:Old Sun Belt member when we first started up as a league.

Troy: When I was looking for a place to play football out of HS. My dad was familiar with the program.

ULM: A long time.

ULL: Since I could walk.

NMSU: Them beating us in the NCAA 2nd round in '94 I think.

stAte- See ULM.

USA- Quite a while, mostly from basketball and baseball.

UTA/UALR: Not until I really started paying attention to the Sun Belt. Late 90's.

Texas St: Had a first cousin that played baseball at SeLU so I was familiar with y'all since the late 90's. Had I know what the school was like I may have tried to go there. lol
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2014 06:03 PM by geauxcajuns.)
06-29-2014 06:02 PM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
Was a fan of App State back in the early 90's when a friend got a ship to play football there.
Georgia Southern: found out who they were in 2005.
stAte, USA, Georgia State - Always assumed they were FCS until we joined the conference (please don't hate me for my ignorance).
Had known who the Cajuns & ULM were since as long as I can remember.
Troy: knew who they were, but that's it (didn't even know where they were located), then DeMarcus Ware came to the NFL (my dad was a Cowboys fan), became a fan ever since.
Idaho & NMSU I learned about when we joined the WAC.
UTA I knew from my days in the metroplex, and from my bobcat days in the SLC.
UALR I still don't know.
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2014 07:36 PM by TheRevSWT.)
06-29-2014 07:35 PM
HCJag Offline
All American

I Root For: South Alabama
Appalachian State - I don't know if I'd heard of them before the Michigan game. What a huge game for getting your name out there.

Georgia Southern - I've heard that name for quite a while.

Georgia State - My sister went to school there for a couple of years back in the 90s. I know they were a SBC member before, but I wasn't really following the conference back then.

Idaho and New Mexico State - What college football fan hasn't heard of the state schools? New Mexico State is more familiar than Idaho though.

The Louisiana schools - A long time.

Troy - My aunt went there when I was a kid, so I've known about them nearly my entire life.

UALR/Arkansas State - Since I started following the SBC in the '90s.

UTA - Seems like I vaguely remember them from their football playing days.

Texas State - Yeah, I saw the movie but I didn't know if they were for real. Can't say I really knew about them until they joined the WAC.

Second favorite school - Tie: Arkansas State and Appalachian State.
06-29-2014 07:59 PM
Advertisement

WinstonTheWolf Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Arkansas State
(06-29-2014 02:53 PM)CatMom Wrote:  App State: 2005, both our teams were highly ranked the whole season

Georgia State: On the Championshipsubdivision board when they were getting ready to start up their football program. Have to admit most of the posts were not in the nice category. (not from me)

Idaho: Not sure when but just because they were a western university, so heard of those schools more often

Troy: Just one of those things/places you heard about over the years so, really, the name I knew coming in.

UNT: Don't remember, don't care to remember. Just living in TX you kind of get the U's ingrained, I guess. (why are the included anyway?)

ULM/La-La/UALR/USA - Knew absolutely nothing until WAC falling apart started to happen and we were checking out the other conferences that we hoped would take us on.

So, you've never heard of A-State then? I can post links.
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2014 08:18 PM by WinstonTheWolf.)
06-29-2014 08:18 PM
CatMom Online
Getting Old Sucks!

(06-29-2014 08:18 PM)WinstonTheWolf Wrote:  
(06-29-2014 02:53 PM)CatMom Wrote:  App State: 2005, both our teams were highly ranked the whole season

Please do.

At least I will come back with a mea copa for leaving them out. I copied and pasted from the OP and made my changes. That said, I'd have to put stAte in with the other SBC teams I didn't know. I started following CFB in 2004 so, you know, it was FCS and the SLC in particular.
06-29-2014 09:16 PM
RamblinRedWolf44 Offline
1st String

to further expand on this topic,

MY FIRST SBC game to witness was in 2005 I made my first ever trip to Arkansas State to visit the campus and watch the then Indians take on Troy Trojans.

What I remember about the game was the ridiculous amount of times the referees had to stop play to ask the time keeper to add more time on the game clock.
06-29-2014 09:19 PM
WinstonTheWolf Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Arkansas State
(06-29-2014 09:16 PM)CatMom Wrote:  

Please do.

At least I will come back with a mea copa for leaving them out. I copied and pasted from the OP and made my changes. That said, I'd have to put stAte in with the other SBC teams I didn't know. I started following CFB in 2004 so, you know, it was FCS and the SLC in particular.

But I thought you knew Fred Barnett and Bill Bergey were stAte guys . . .
06-29-2014 09:25 PM
CatMom Online
Getting Old Sucks!

(06-29-2014 09:25 PM)WinstonTheWolf Wrote:  
(06-29-2014 09:16 PM)CatMom Wrote:  

Please do.

But I thought you knew Fred Barnett and Bill Bergey were stAte guys . . .
No, that was pointed out to me, after which I said that I was an Eagles fan and loved Bergey as a player. Back then I really didn't follow what pro players went to what schools. I looked up our old NFL guys because I knew one of them had also played for Philly, but I had to go to the TXST wiki page to confirm.
The only player I really knew where he attended was Franco Harris because he went to the same HS my dad had. His school was in our HS conference and they were a rivalry. Plus, he ran into/over my brother and knocked him out cold in one of their games.
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2014 09:32 PM by CatMom.)
06-29-2014 09:30 PM
Advertisement

Eagle22 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GA Southern
Appalachian - First time I ever heard of them was when we were matched up in the I-AA playoffs in 1987, my first year at Georgia Southern.

UALR - Late 80's. Used to play them in hoops when we both were in the TAAC. Mike Newell was their coach at the time and he was not beloved by our student body at the time. Great games back then.

Arkansas State - 1986 National Championship game. Larry Lacewell gave a famous attribution to our quarterback Tracy Ham, saying "You can't tackle smoke".

Georgia State - Again, crossed paths back in the day in the TAAC.

Idaho - Must have been around 1987 or so. The Vandals had a stud QB by the name of John Friesz who won the Walter Payton award in 1989. We then sqeaked by them in the 1990 playoffs by a point enroute to our fourth I-AA national championship.

Louisiana - First really heard about them around 1991 when they first joined the Sun Belt. We had had a Sun Belt team of folks visit our campus back in 1990 and after that visit I started keeping an ear and eye out on the composition of the league.

Louisiana-Monroe - First became aware of them in the 1987 season when we played them in Monroe, but didn't make that game. They returned the trip in 1988. One of the DB's from their national championship team works in my lab, so have kept up with them for some time from afar.

New Mexico State - Have pretty much always known about them, but not too much. Did a little more recon on them recently but looking forward to my second trip to the Land of Enchantment. First trip out there wasn't in that part of the state.

South Alabama - Been pretty familiar with the Mobile area, but not USA until they started up football. Ready to make that trip and hope it turns into a good rivalry.

UT-Arlington - Marginally aware they were in the Sun Belt.

Texas State - 2005 03-weeping 05-mafia Hoping to even up that old score this year 03-wink

Troy - 1992. Troy State (then) was Division II, and came into Paulson and pitched a shutout on the Eagles on Homecoming. Left a big bootprint on what to that point had been a pretty darn invincible home record. Was only the sixth home loss since the stadium had been built in 1984. Troy moved up and Eagle coach Tim Stowers evened up the record, beating #1 Troy at home in the 1995 playoffs. As it turns out, I think while Troy was good that year, we just saved them the embarrasment of flying out to Montana, as we got shellacked the following week 45-0 by a Griz team that scored 70 on Stephen F. Austin the next week, then beating Marshall to win the I-AA championship. That mini-series in the 1990's, plus some old history in the 1930's ... adds up to some potential to turn this into a fun rivalry.
06-29-2014 09:42 PM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
App- they were mentioned as a D2 team in The Longest Yard with Adam Sandler

UALR- Never heard of until we joined the conference.

stAte- I remember them playing UT at some time when I was in high school, probably 06 or 07. I remember it being a fairly close game and being a longhorn hater I was rooting for yall.

Georgia State- First heard of yall when yall played UTSA.

Georgia So- Never heard of yall until yalls move to the conference was announced.

Idaho- When I used to follow the draft religiously and Mike Iupati was drafted. I remember thinking yall were probably a good football school since yall produced a first rounder.

Louisiana and ULM- I'm sorry but honestly I just remember my early perceptions of yall being those bad football schools from La. Yall have done a lot to change that perception.

NMSU- Always knew yall existed because in the past I could never remember which school in New Mexico Brian Urlacher went to. Too bad it wasn't NMSU.

South Alabama- never heard of yall til yall played UTSA.

TXST- My mom went here so I always knew it as SWT until I got to high school and started looking at colleges.

UTA- Never heard of until one of my high school classmates went there.

Troy- Demarcus Ware
06-29-2014 11:06 PM
chiefsfan Online
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
App: The Hot Hot Hot video. We were shown that in my video production class in 04 during my Sophomore year at ASU as a What not to do when making a promotion video.

Georgia State: I'll be completely honest, I thought the Panthers were a HBCU school until the day they started talking about joining the SBC:

Georgia Southern: My first knowledge of Georgia Southern came a few years ago when I was googling some old Arkansas State football teams and found an article about our National Championship Game at the 1AA level in the mid 80's. They beat us naturally.

Troy: They joined the SBC the same time I started college, so right about that time.

South: I've known about South since the mid 90's when I was following UALR because of Derrick Fisher.

Cajuns; I knew them as Southwest Louisiana because they seemed to play ASU in football every year.

Warhawks: They were originally named the Indians, so I was naturally attracted to watching them play.

UALR: I grew up in Little Rock attending UALR games. I've known them for as long as I have known ASU.

Idaho: First heard of them around 2001. I remember because after I saw them mentioned as an ASU Opponent, I immediately went to look up what a Vandal was.

NMSU: About the same time I discovered Idaho, right as I started thinking about attending ASU and started researching the sports teams.

Texas State: Knew of them because UCA Beat them all the time. First real knowledge though came in 2008 or 2009. ASU baseball played a weekend tournament in some place called Arlington and we played Texas State to open the season (Our current coach's first ever game) I remember messing around looking for a message board and finding Bobcat fans, where a single poster mentioned that this game would be a good measuring mark because he saw Texas State in the Sun Belt in a few years. I remember thinking there is no way we would ever let a Team that lost to UCA into our league.

UTA: First reference came from UNT fans complaining about having to play basketball games on that stage. THey had lost, and were making excuses, per their usual standard.
06-29-2014 11:25 PM
AppfanInCAAland Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
App state - I remember on the way to grade school we used to drive by a billboard advertising season tickets, it had the old helmet with the mid 80's Yosef head on it, just before going to the block A. Then we used to go up to the Boone area for vacation as a kid.

GaSo -when I started school at App
GaSt - when they joined the CAA and I followed my wife's VCU team
Troy - I seem to recall beating a team by 100 points in basketball as DII Troy State
South Alabama - no idea, probably an old basketball preview mag
UL Lafayette - when I lived in Charlotte and Jake Delhomme was the Panthers QB, but I had a vague idea they once got the basketball death penalty
UL Monroe - see USA or maybe an old NCAA football video game
Arkansas State - see USA or ULM
Texas State - not until App played them in the playoffs a few years back did I know they were the same school as SW Tex St, but I'd heard of SW Tex St as the alma mater of LBJ
UTA - see USA
UALR - I remember an old sports illustrated that predicted them as a sleeper sweet sixteen team in a preseason preview edition, and then they didn't make the tournament that year
NMSU - see USA or ULM
Idaho - also no idea, but remember thinking Vandels was a cool nickname when I was a kid.
(This post was last modified: 06-30-2014 06:23 AM by AppfanInCAAland.)
06-30-2014 06:10 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.