Now beat those P5 schools this fall
06-28-2014 08:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Rik Flair Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: stAte
RE: Good luck to all SBC teams .
WKU has been a great SBC member. I look forward to rooting for them all next year
06-28-2014 08:48 AM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU
I'm not big on long good byes...

been fun, don't hate you, never have, never will....but I am very competitive. Will miss the travel to each of the schools in the conference (some great trips that never get old...if you don't limit yourself just to the cities of the host school) and I'm sure I would have thought the same of Boone and Statesboro.

Got to pack going fishing
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2014 09:02 AM by WKUYG.)
06-28-2014 08:58 AM
trueeagle98 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GS Eagles
I really would've liked for you guys to have stayed, but understand that this was what your school feels is best. Wish you luck (except when you play an SBC team) and hope our teams can schedule OOC home and home games in all sports. Would love to get a chance to see your basketball team in action.
06-28-2014 09:18 AM
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
Good luck in CUSA. I had hoped for GS to play you guys in the belt but feel free to come down for a game or two anytime.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
06-28-2014 09:21 AM
Cat79 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Texas State
(06-28-2014 08:31 AM)Hilltop75 Wrote:  As WKU departs for CUSA I have always enjoyed
This board. My daughter went to Georgia Southern so
Been to Statesboro many times.

I am greatful that the SBC had FBS football
Because without a conference to go to
I doubt WKU moves up to FBS.

Now beat those P5 schools this fall

Good luck in Cusa
06-28-2014 02:16 PM
Advertisement

WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

I am sure I will still check in time to time here even if I get reprimanded, haha....Its been real Belt.....32 year marriage that was a monster of a basketball conf. in the mid 80s which I am sure you youngsters would not begin to understand how big the Sun Belt was in terms of hoops....Like other WKU fans have said, glad we did have a place we could call home for football...Kind of strange in a sense in football leaving so soon since we were just starting to get rolling in football...Also I hope WKU still schedules the Cajuns and USA in basketball, those are 2 series that should not go away....Good luck everyone and will certainly be interested in seeing what the Sun Belt does moving forward..Certainly will still keep track of most of you!
06-28-2014 08:39 PM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
I truly hate that I never got a chance to go to BG (remember, I'm a football only guy). I also hate that the lone trip WKU made to San Marcos was in truly crappy weather.

Anyway, good luck to your squads, hope you do well in CUSA.
06-28-2014 08:45 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
Alas, all us kids and our hate of basketball led to the demise of WKU's SBC Membership.

In all seriousness, been real Toppers. I'll never understand your fascination with basketball...but hey, if we had a decent basketball program I might not be saying that.
06-28-2014 09:09 PM
dahbeed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: wku toppahs!!!
(06-28-2014 09:09 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Alas, all us kids and our hate of basketball led to the demise of WKU's SBC Membership.

In all seriousness, been real Toppers. I'll never understand your fascination with basketball...but hey, if we had a decent basketball program I might not be saying that.

smh.
06-28-2014 09:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Senatobia Offline
2nd String

Good luck to you folks in CUSA.

MTSU is projected to win CUSA in football this year....maybe you can spoil their chances instead of ours.

Enjoyed the games....maybe we meet sometime in the future.

All the best to you.
06-28-2014 09:56 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(06-28-2014 09:37 PM)dahbeed Wrote:  
(06-28-2014 09:09 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Alas, all us kids and our hate of basketball led to the demise of WKU's SBC Membership.

smh.

Sorry...I've just seen far too many WKU fans point to our lack of basketball caring on this board as the reason the school is leaving. Which is completely ludicrous obviously.
06-28-2014 10:04 PM
dahbeed Offline
Heisman

(06-28-2014 10:04 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(06-28-2014 09:37 PM)dahbeed Wrote:  

smh.

Sorry...I've just seen far too many WKU fans point to our lack of basketball caring on this board as the reason the school is leaving. Which is completely ludicrous obviously.

so get a sideways swipe in an amicable thread? there's nothing ludicrous about it. it's why 90% of our fans were for the move. football is lateral imo.

lets not derail it any further.
06-28-2014 10:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

I wasn't big on posting but have followed the Sun Belt since 1982.May post here on rare occasion in the future if pertinent. Seen many teams come and go-guess it is our time to leave.After 32 years the change will do us good.Look forward to meeting new friends and rejoining others.I will truly miss the Sun Belt-I REALLY will-- A BIG THANK YOU to everyone!Now for some history,stories,and opinions:

SOUTH ALABAMA-fierce rival,charter member,Great city,superb facilities.EVERY game was a challenge.Eddie Stanky(488-193)respect! Terry Catledge-Power ,Ronnie Arrow-fiery.Had great time on both trips to Mobile.Great food. Will miss the JAGS the most.On the afternoon before the championship game in 2009 (WKU won) I saw Ronnie Arrow in downtown Hot Springs walking toward me wearing all white and eating a hand dipped vanilla ice cream cone.I was in my WKU garb and said"hello coach" and kept walking.He smiled but did not speak-I didn't mind and figured he didn't want to speak to an opposing fan hours before the game.Still he looked a little odd in all white.Best to the Jaguars in the future!

ARKANSAS STATE-another fierce rival,superb facilities.Closest trip(after MT left) 3 1/2 hours.I liked Jonesboro.The people were very helpful.Sonja Tate-50 points?-killed WKU a few times.Andys Custard-good places like that are hard to find.Jealous of the potential y'all have for the future!Been twice but my first trip was for a regular season bball game 2008?My family and I got to the Convo but had been unable to find a hotel because of the ice storm(EVERY place was booked-power outage in the area).A man (usher) at the game let me use his cellphone and even got a phone book to help till I was able to find a room-we were so thankful.Much respect to Arkansas State!

LOUISIANA-So many great games!Excellent facilities,always competitive.Another fan favorite to visit. You've had some super teams over the years.This past year was phenomenal !!! Only stupid politics stops your school from being called the University of Louisiana.The sky is the limit for the Cajuns.My best to your future!!

UALR-A LOT of great games with these Trojans! Can remember hearing of packed houses in Barton and Alltell .Nice city and friendly people.Derek Fisher represented the SBC for 18 years(has to be a record for a SBC player).Spoke to Steve Shields in Diddle Arena before a game and wished them luck-nice guy-but he beat us-again!With football dominance - don't know about your future.Best Wishes!

LOUISIANA MONROE-Great respect for your program.Had some good games.Not much rivalry but always competitive.The reason I admire the Warhawks is they get the most bang for the buck of anyone in the league!!Browning was unbelievable !! You guys are fighters!Best wishes!

TROY-Super football tradition.The first time we saw you in a conf. game the size difference was obvious and you whipped our butts !!Fine facilities.Great baseball park.The town is nice(2 visits).Closer to the gulf than most outsiders think.Basketball improving but football is your specialty.Show the new guys a thing or two like you did us! All the best!!

Georgia State-charter member,great location-welcome back.Super potential.Atlanta-great area.Excellent coaches in bball AND football.If you hire the right athletic director-look out!

Texas State-developing some great facilities.Kaspar - wow - he can really succeed . Texas=football. The name change will really help down the road.SBC considered(and should have) added the Bobcats years ago!!

UTA-Another winner for basketball coach and now a fine-super fine arena.Strong baseball.Good Luck!

Appalachian State-Passion in the mountains for football? More than most people realize!!!Exceptional basketball arena. Beautiful area.Been to one football game there and it "ROCK'D" !!! Just don't drive an old car like I did or you may not make it up the mountain!

Georgia Southern- football tradition-improving facilities!Savannah-Tybee Island is a big draw for me-will try to visit.Future looks good!!

New Mexico State-welcome back!! Another beautiful area with possibilities.GREAT basketball.Outstanding facilities!

IDAHO-Good luck!

Two bits of advice
1.Travel and GO to as many games and venues as you can-make TV your last choice!
2.New and younger members should listen to and give some deference to the older members of the conference.

Goodbye SUN Belt and my best to you all!!! GO HILLTOPPERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
06-28-2014 10:49 PM
SkullyMaroo Offline

I Root For: South Alabama
Losing members to another conference is never fun. For anyone that has paid attention to my posts over the past year or two they would realize that while I've felt while losing MTSU was a blow, losing WKU is the one that hurts the most. USA had more history with WKU than with anyone else in the league. We have been conference mates since 1982. We were both members of the Sun Belt when the Sun Belt was a feared basketball league... a league that was always a multi-bid league. We've seen the good times together and we've seen the bad times together, but we were together regardless. The basketball rivalry was always big, but I especially loved the period between 2005-2009 where each game was a battle that seemed to come down to the very last shot. No matter how down USA would get, we would always get up for WKU. That's how you know your opponent is a rival that you greatly respect.

Bowling Green was always fun too. It made me chuckle how the city of Bowling Green numbers their stoplights. I would always get a laugh imagining numbered stoplights on Airport Boulevard in Mobile! WKU has a very nice campus, and a great basketball arena. I haven't been able to catch a football game in Bowling Green though... Maybe one day!

And as much as the Jags loved to 'hate' the Hilltoppers, we loved sharing a conference with you. The WKU fans I've met in person were always friendly and very knowledgeable about the game. I will miss WKU, I will miss the basketball series, I will miss Big Red, I will miss the continuity that being in a conference together provided. Best of luck in the future. I'm sure we will meet each other again in the future.
06-29-2014 03:55 PM
dahbeed Offline
Heisman

(06-29-2014 03:55 PM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  Losing members to another conference is never fun. For anyone that has paid attention to my posts over the past year or two they would realize that while I've felt while losing MTSU was a blow, losing WKU is the one that hurts the most. USA had more history with WKU than with anyone else in the league. We have been conference mates since 1982. We were both members of the Sun Belt when the Sun Belt was a feared basketball league... a league that was always a multi-bid league. We've seen the good times together and we've seen the bad times together, but we were together regardless. The basketball rivalry was always big, but I especially loved the period between 2005-2009 where each game was a battle that seemed to come down to the very last shot. No matter how down USA would get, we would always get up for WKU. That's how you know your opponent is a rival that you greatly respect.

Bowling Green was always fun too. It made me chuckle how the city of Bowling Green numbers their stoplights. I would always get a laugh imagining numbered stoplights on Airport Boulevard in Mobile! WKU has a very nice campus, and a great basketball arena. I haven't been able to catch a football game in Bowling Green though... Maybe one day!

And as much as the Jags loved to 'hate' the Hilltoppers, we loved sharing a conference with you. The WKU fans I've met in person were always friendly and very knowledgeable about the game. I will miss WKU, I will miss the basketball series, I will miss Big Red, I will miss the continuity that being in a conference together provided. Best of luck in the future. I'm sure we will meet each other again in the future.

nice post skully. we'll miss the rivalry with the jags for all the same reasons you mentioned.
06-29-2014 07:04 PM
Advertisement

WinstonTheWolf Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Arkansas State
You Western clowns should schedule a home/home in basketball with stAte - if you don't, to hell with you!
06-29-2014 09:46 PM
TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

huh?
06-29-2014 11:51 PM
A-State Offline
Water Engineer

Best of luck WKU!
06-30-2014 01:52 AM
WinstonTheWolf Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Arkansas State
(06-29-2014 11:51 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  huh?

stAte and WKU should continue to play home and home in basketball. Have you not noticed how difficult it is to get a P5 school to play you at home arena? College basketball has become ridiculously controlled by money.

The primary reason stAte's BB attentance sucks is because we don't play quality competition at home anymore, so we don't even get the chance to generate the illusion that we are competitive nationally.

So - WKU and stAte should play home and home every year - it would help both basketball programs.

If we don't continue to play in men's basketball, WKU is dead to me.
07-01-2014 09:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.