Kevin Ware cleared to play immediately by NCAA
Bookmark and Share
Panthersville Offline
1st String

I Root For: Georgia State
Kevin Ware cleared to play immediately by NCAA
Here. We. Go.

Kevin Ware Cleared by NCAA to Play for Georgia State Immediately

ATLANTA-Kevin Ware, who transferred to Georgia State earlier this spring, has been cleared to play immediately by the NCAA and will be on the court for the men’s basketball team this fall. Georgia State applied for a waiver with the NCAA allowing Ware to return home to Atlanta for family reasons.

Ware played nine games this past season as a junior before being sidelined with an injury. He is expected to have two years of eligibility remaining with Georgia State.

During Louisville’s run to the national championship in 2013, Ware averaged 4.5 points in 16.6 minutes per game as the first guard off the bench. That season he shot 44.7-percent from the floor and 40.5-percent from 3-point range, swiping 39 steals.

Ware is unfortunately best known a gruesome leg injury he suffered in Louisville’s run to a national championship against Duke. With 6:33 to play in the first half of that game, Ware broke his right tibea just in front of the team bench. The injury and his teammates reaction to it became an international story on the Cardinals run to a title. Ware became the fourth-most searched athlete in the world in 2013 on Google due to the injury.

“I am really excited for Kevin and his family,” head coach Ron Hunter said. “This is another huge boost for our team as Kevin is a talented guard who adds another dynamic to our roster. He has been working hard since his arrival and been welcomed by the team. I expect him to continue to work hard as we prepare for the upcoming season.

“I would like to thank the NCAA, University of Louisville and all of the members of the Georgia State staff who helped make this possible. It was a total team effort and greatly appreciated by the coaching staff and Kevin’s family.”

As a high school senior, Ware led Rockdale County to a 26-6 record and state runner-up finish, averaging 13.2 points, 4.1 assists, 3.9 rebounds and 2.2 steals per game. He was named first-team all-state and was rated by Rivals.com as the No. 70 overall prospect in the class of 2011. He was also listed as the No. 94 prospect in the ESPNU Top 100 and was rated 99th nationally by Scout.com.

Georgia State returns three starters from a squad that went 25-9 last year, winning the Sun Belt Championship and advancing to the Postseason NIT.
06-19-2014 08:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
RE: Kevin Ware cleared to play immediately by NCAA
(06-19-2014 08:49 AM)Panthersville Wrote:  Here. We. Go.

Kevin Ware Cleared by NCAA to Play for Georgia State Immediately

ATLANTA-Kevin Ware, who transferred to Georgia State earlier this spring, has been cleared to play immediately by the NCAA and will be on the court for the men’s basketball team this fall. Georgia State applied for a waiver with the NCAA allowing Ware to return home to Atlanta for family reasons.

Ware played nine games this past season as a junior before being sidelined with an injury. He is expected to have two years of eligibility remaining with Georgia State.

During Louisville’s run to the national championship in 2013, Ware averaged 4.5 points in 16.6 minutes per game as the first guard off the bench. That season he shot 44.7-percent from the floor and 40.5-percent from 3-point range, swiping 39 steals.

Ware is unfortunately best known a gruesome leg injury he suffered in Louisville’s run to a national championship against Duke. With 6:33 to play in the first half of that game, Ware broke his right tibea just in front of the team bench. The injury and his teammates reaction to it became an international story on the Cardinals run to a title. Ware became the fourth-most searched athlete in the world in 2013 on Google due to the injury.

“I am really excited for Kevin and his family,” head coach Ron Hunter said. “This is another huge boost for our team as Kevin is a talented guard who adds another dynamic to our roster. He has been working hard since his arrival and been welcomed by the team. I expect him to continue to work hard as we prepare for the upcoming season.

“I would like to thank the NCAA, University of Louisville and all of the members of the Georgia State staff who helped make this possible. It was a total team effort and greatly appreciated by the coaching staff and Kevin’s family.”

As a high school senior, Ware led Rockdale County to a 26-6 record and state runner-up finish, averaging 13.2 points, 4.1 assists, 3.9 rebounds and 2.2 steals per game. He was named first-team all-state and was rated by Rivals.com as the No. 70 overall prospect in the class of 2011. He was also listed as the No. 94 prospect in the ESPNU Top 100 and was rated 99th nationally by Scout.com.

Georgia State returns three starters from a squad that went 25-9 last year, winning the Sun Belt Championship and advancing to the Postseason NIT.
[Image: dramaticchipmunk.gif]
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2014 09:15 AM by panama.)
06-19-2014 09:14 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
Ware averaged 4.4 points per game with Louisville.

Just so we're clear.
06-19-2014 09:18 AM
panama Offline
Legend

(06-19-2014 09:18 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Ware averaged 4.4 points per game with Louisville.

Just so we're clear.
Yep. How many did Harrow average his last year in Kentucky?

[Image: giphy.gif]
06-19-2014 09:26 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

I Root For: Ga Southern
(06-19-2014 09:18 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Ware averaged 4.4 points per game with Louisville.

Just so we're clear.

let's not bring stats into this. Ga State will win the National Championship because Ware will carry the entire team.
06-19-2014 09:27 AM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers

Just so we're clear.

In 16.6 minutes too, so it's not like he wasn't playing. I'm sure he'll be a decent addition and be a positive for Ga. State, but I don't expect him to be a star.
Advertisement

panama Offline
Legend

(06-19-2014 09:27 AM)NCeagle Wrote:  

Just so we're clear.

let's not bring stats into this. Ga State will win the National Championship because Ware will carry the entire team.

MBB smack in JUNE.

#FunBelt
Hail The Blue Offline
1st String

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
Hope he works out for you guys.

But if he doesn't, I'll be waiting for the spin class to come by and explain to us why he wasn't a good fit, and he didn't buy into the program, and he wasn't a team player, yadda yadda yadda.
06-19-2014 09:30 AM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU

Just so we're clear.

At least we haven't had to hear it because they got Davidson's leading scorer to transfer...because obviously 12 points per game in the So Con means National Championship in the Sun Belt.
06-19-2014 09:32 AM
Tuscon Offline
Special Teams

(06-19-2014 09:30 AM)The Black Flag Wrote:  Hope he works out for you guys.

But if he doesn't, I'll be waiting for the spin class to come by and explain to us why he wasn't a good fit, and he didn't buy into the program, and he wasn't a team player, yadda yadda yadda.

So for us to act like sports fans everywhere? Right now it's June and he's immediately eligible!!!!
02-13-banana02-13-banana01-donnankungfu03-nernerEpic Mind BlownEpic Applause
06-19-2014 09:34 AM
Tuscon Offline
Special Teams

(06-19-2014 09:32 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  At least we haven't had to hear it because they got Davidson's leading scorer to transfer...because obviously 12 points per game in the So Con means National Championship in the Sun Belt.

It was Samford, and he was Freshman of the Year in the SoCon. Solid addition, but he likely won't be playing this season.
06-19-2014 09:35 AM
Advertisement

panama Offline
Legend

[Image: Yeah-Sure-Okay.gif]
06-19-2014 09:35 AM
Hail The Blue Offline
1st String

(06-19-2014 09:35 AM)panama Wrote:  

[Image: Yeah-Sure-Okay.gif]

[Image: 11v2n8l.jpg]
06-19-2014 09:36 AM
panama Offline
Legend

(06-19-2014 09:35 AM)Tuscon Wrote:  
(06-19-2014 09:32 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  At least we haven't had to hear it because they got Davidson's leading scorer to transfer...because obviously 12 points per game in the So Con means National Championship in the Sun Belt.

It was Samford, and he was Freshman of the Year in the SoCon. Solid addition, but he likely won't be playing this season.
Yeah we kind of have some other guys who are ok players
06-19-2014 09:37 AM
Hail The Blue Offline
1st String

(06-19-2014 09:34 AM)Tuscon Wrote:  

So for us to act like sports fans everywhere? Right now it's June and he's immediately eligible!!!!

I'm just saying, every single player that transfers to State, or yall sign in February, is crowned the savior of the program. It's fun watching yall recant everything when they don't pan out.
06-19-2014 09:38 AM
Panthersville Offline
1st String

Just so we're clear.

I can't thank you enough for this. I just won $5 off a colleague because I bet that the reaction from at least the first two non-GSU fans would be petty and negative. Like clockwork, you came through for me.

As he said, anyone who knows anything about the game knows this is big for us. Nobody has ever said he will win us a championship of any sort, and I think he will actually be the third or fourth best player on the floor for us, but that doesn't mean we didn't just get markedly better.
06-19-2014 09:38 AM
Advertisement

panama Offline
Legend

(06-19-2014 09:38 AM)The Black Flag Wrote:  

I'm just saying, every single player that transfers to State, or yall sign in February, is crowned the savior of the program. It's fun watching yall recant everything when they don't pan out.
We need a savior? Didnt we just get championship rings like 2 weeks ago? LOL
06-19-2014 09:42 AM
Panthersville Offline
1st String

You just flat-out pulled that straight out of your arse. We have gotten some good transfers, but the consensus judgment is that none of them are the "savior" of the program, because if anyone gets that moniker, it is RJ.
06-19-2014 09:42 AM
panama Offline
Legend

(06-19-2014 09:42 AM)Panthersville Wrote:  

You just flat-out pulled that straight out of your arse. We have gotten some good transfers, but the consensus judgment is that none of them are the "savior" of the program, because if anyone gets that moniker, it is RJ.
Correct Answer
06-19-2014 09:43 AM
Tuscon Offline
Special Teams

(06-19-2014 09:38 AM)The Black Flag Wrote:  I'm just saying, every single player that transfers to State, or yall sign in February, is crowned the savior of the program. It's fun watching yall recant everything when they don't pan out.

Not sure we get to call him a savior when we're already wiping the floor with everyone here.
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2014 09:45 AM by Tuscon.)
06-19-2014 09:45 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.