Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

GS/GSU Rivalry
Bookmark and Share
Ole Sleepy Offline
1st String

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
GS/GSU Rivalry
GS Who?

"In the meantime, the GSU-GSU rivalry will take shape on the football field. The Eagles hold sway in baseball and basketball — Georgia Southern has a 58-17 edge in baseball and a 31-13 advantage in men’s hoops — and Miles readily acknowledges the Panthers will need to make it a rivalry in football. Proximity and conference affiliation alone may not suffice.

“We have to prove that it’s going to be a rivalry,” [Coach Trent Miles] said. “It’s not much of a rivalry if you go out there and get your butt kicked every year. We have to prove that we can compete against a program like Georgia Southern. They’ve been an excellent program through the years. I think it’s great for the state and both fan bases and alumni groups and our players to have an in-state rival. But we’ve got to prove that we are going to be a rival.”

Those GSU fans may be right.... 04-cheers
06-17-2014 03:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
RE: GS/GSU Rivalry
(06-17-2014 03:12 PM)Ole Sleepy Wrote:  GS Who?

"In the meantime, the GSU-GSU rivalry will take shape on the football field. The Eagles hold sway in baseball and basketball — Georgia Southern has a 58-17 edge in baseball and a 31-13 advantage in men’s hoops — and Miles readily acknowledges the Panthers will need to make it a rivalry in football. Proximity and conference affiliation alone may not suffice.

“We have to prove that it’s going to be a rivalry,” [Coach Trent Miles] said. “It’s not much of a rivalry if you go out there and get your butt kicked every year. We have to prove that we can compete against a program like Georgia Southern. They’ve been an excellent program through the years. I think it’s great for the state and both fan bases and alumni groups and our players to have an in-state rival. But we’ve got to prove that we are going to be a rival.”

Like Duh

ODU hates us but they beat us 3 times so there is no rivalry. I suppose even GT/UGA is in danger of no longer being a rivalry if they dont push PJ out an airlock soon.

What males GSU/USA a rivalry is that we dont like each other and its been pretty even until last year. If they win the next 3 then its not a rivalry anymore.
06-17-2014 03:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
eaglewraith Offline
Heisman

I Root For: GA Southern
ODU doesn't like us much either.
06-17-2014 03:27 PM
panama Offline
Legend

(06-17-2014 03:27 PM)eaglewraith Wrote:  ODU doesn't like us much either.

For different reasons I think. Their hate for us is just based on principal I think. LOL
06-17-2014 03:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
eaglewraith Offline
Heisman

(06-17-2014 03:26 PM)panama Wrote:  If they win the next 3 then its not a rivalry anymore.

That just makes the rivalry meaner.

If ya'll keep playing each other through the years and they really are your rival, a losing streak won't do anything to change that.
06-17-2014 03:29 PM
panama Offline
Legend

(06-17-2014 03:29 PM)eaglewraith Wrote:  
(06-17-2014 03:26 PM)panama Wrote:  If they win the next 3 then its not a rivalry anymore.

If ya'll keep playing each other through the years and they really are your rival, a losing streak won't do anything to change that.

True. Which is why UGA and GT is still relevant. 5 or 7 games lost is nothing in a 100 year series
06-17-2014 03:30 PM
Advertisement

Ole Sleepy Offline
1st String

Re: RE: GS/GSU Rivalry
(06-17-2014 03:26 PM)panama Wrote:  
(06-17-2014 03:12 PM)Ole Sleepy Wrote:  GS Who?

Like Duh

ODU hates us but they beat us 3 times so there is no rivalry. I suppose even GT/UGA is in danger of no longer being a rivalry if they dont push PJ out an airlock soon.

What males GSU/USA a rivalry is that we dont like each other and its been pretty even until last year. If they win the next 3 then its not a rivalry anymore.
App has beat us three times in a row and it's still a rivalry. All it takes is hate and fired up fans

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
06-17-2014 03:32 PM
StanMolsonMan Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU
I dunno. I think there is a certain amount of X factor that goes into it. Proximity, pride, and... hate. I mean up until 10 years ago, the Falcons/Saints rivalry was one sided for the Falcons, like 44-30. Mets haven't been good in forever. I hate it when the Braves lose to them. A whole new level. I think this has the X-Factor. If State wins, we will be witness to the sourest retreat the world has seen since the Germans retreated from the Soviet Union. To witness Southern beating State in the Dome would be like watching Sherman burn Atlanta. Nobody wants to lose to anyone... but State fans REALLY do not want to lose to Southern in anything, and I have a strange feeling it is mutual. George Allen probably said it best “Every time you lose you die a little bit. You die inside...a portion of you. Not all of your organs. Maybe just your liver.” UGA has beaten Tech 12 out of the last 13, but if Tech won this year, it would sting as bad as any other year.

I mean this goes beyond sharing the letters GSU. It is north vs. south, city vs. the country, the established program vs. the new kids, the ghetto vs. the sticks. I'd be willing to bet if you went to either school in the 90s, you would see "The Real GSU" on a poster or a pennant hanging on a wall. This isn't because of Grambling. It has been a rivalry that has transcended scoreboards for decades even if it is the first year these two teams have met on a football field.
(This post was last modified: 06-17-2014 03:58 PM by StanMolsonMan.)
06-17-2014 03:48 PM
panama Offline
Legend

Familiarity breeds contempt. We went to HS together. Its the reason that beating UGA or GT is also so sweet and stings them. Its bragging rights and bragging rights over people you know.
(This post was last modified: 06-17-2014 04:18 PM by panama.)
06-17-2014 04:01 PM
GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
(06-17-2014 04:01 PM)panama Wrote:  Familiarity breeds content. We went to HS together. Its the reason that beating UGA or GT is also so sweet and stings them. Its bragging rights and bragging rights over people you know.

You are content? Or did you mean to say contempt?
06-17-2014 04:09 PM
Ole Sleepy Offline
1st String

Re: RE: GS/GSU Rivalry
(06-17-2014 03:48 PM)StanMolsonMan Wrote:  I dunno. I think there is a certain amount of X factor that goes into it. Proximity, pride, and... hate. I mean up until 10 years ago, the Falcons/Saints rivalry was one sided for the Falcons, like 44-30. Mets haven't been good in forever. I hate it when the Braves lose to them. A whole new level. I think this has the X-Factor. If State wins, we will be witness to the sourest retreat the world has seen since the Germans retreated from the Soviet Union. To witness Southern beating State in the Dome would be like watching Sherman burn Atlanta. Nobody wants to lose to anyone... but State fans REALLY do not want to lose to Southern in anything, and I have a strange feeling it is mutual. George Allen probably said it best “Every time you lose you die a little bit. You die inside...a portion of you. Not all of your organs. Maybe just your liver.” UGA has beaten Tech 12 out of the last 13, but if Tech won this year, it would sting as bad as any other year.

I mean this goes beyond sharing the letters GSU. It is north vs. south, city vs. the country, the established program vs. the new kids, the ghetto vs. the sticks. I'd be willing to bet if you went to either school in the 90s, you would see "The Real GSU" on a poster or a pennant hanging on a wall. This isn't because of Grambling. It has been a rivalry that has transcended scoreboards for decades even if it is the first year these two teams have met on a football field.
You nailed it.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
06-17-2014 07:04 PM
Advertisement

DawggoneEagle Offline
Special Teams

GS/GSU Rivalry
(06-17-2014 03:29 PM)eaglewraith Wrote:  

My uncle is a UGA alum, he HATES Tech, because he lived through watching UGA lose to GT seven or eight years in a row "back in the day" ! Heck the guy who scored the TD to break that drought for UGA, Therone Sapp, they retired his number. There is no love lost between those two institutions, it truly is a hate game, and although to UGA, now UT, UF, and recently USC(Gamecocks) are bigger games, for Tech, beating Georgia is still the Holy Grail of a complete season though they'd never admit it.
For GS & GSU, I see the "Potential" for a great rivalry, only time will tell, though as a passionate GS Eagles fan, the ideas of losing a football game to State, the mere thought pisses me off.
We'd better win that game. !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
06-18-2014 08:55 AM
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I will cherish every win over them!

Hail Southern!

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
(This post was last modified: 06-18-2014 09:46 AM by Georgia_Power_Company.)
06-18-2014 09:43 AM
The4thOption Offline
1st String

(06-17-2014 03:48 PM)StanMolsonMan Wrote:  I dunno. I think there is a certain amount of X factor that goes into it. Proximity, pride, and... hate. I mean up until 10 years ago, the Falcons/Saints rivalry was one sided for the Falcons, like 44-30. Mets haven't been good in forever. I hate it when the Braves lose to them. A whole new level. I think this has the X-Factor. If State wins, we will be witness to the sourest retreat the world has seen since the Germans retreated from the Soviet Union. To witness Southern beating State in the Dome would be like watching Sherman burn Atlanta. Nobody wants to lose to anyone... but State fans REALLY do not want to lose to Southern in anything, and I have a strange feeling it is mutual. George Allen probably said it best “Every time you lose you die a little bit. You die inside...a portion of you. Not all of your organs. Maybe just your liver.” UGA has beaten Tech 12 out of the last 13, but if Tech won this year, it would sting as bad as any other year.

Awww... Come on now. Please don't reference us in comparison to the Germans or Sherman. I think you are trying to twist a knife referring to the "Southern" Army as Sherman's army. In this "war" - this North & South - you guys are the Yankees. Although I get the Atlanta Burning thing - that might happen if we beat GT/ But everybody expects us to beat gast.

And as far as the 90's (when we just got our University status) - there was ZERO reference to ga state. I think most of us didn't even know gast existed. We were changing everything from GSC to GSU. I had no knowledge that there was another GSU in GA. Honestly- I had no idea who you were and never heard of GaSt until you started your football program.
06-19-2014 01:37 AM
panama Offline
Legend

I don't see how that is possible unless you were from far south Georgia it out of state.

Posted from my BlackBerry Z10 using the CSNbbs app
06-19-2014 05:45 AM
gsu2583 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ga Southern
(06-19-2014 05:45 AM)panama Wrote:  I don't see how that is possible unless you were from far south Georgia it out of state.

Insert Bill ORiley "Can't explain that" meme here.
06-19-2014 06:30 AM
Advertisement

TrueBlueAlum Offline
1st String

(06-19-2014 05:45 AM)panama Wrote:  I don't see how that is possible unless you were from far south Georgia it out of state.

To be honest Panama I lived in Cobb County just about my whole life and if it hadn't been for the fact my older sister went to Georgia State I probably wouldn't have really known or thought much about them. Same goes for Georgia Southern, the only reason I knew they existed was because one of my older buddies started school there 2 years before me.

Ga Tech, UGA, Kennesaw, and Berry College (randomely) were the only schools I was familiar with in high school (early 2000's).

It just is what it is at this point. Unless you're driving through downtown Atlanta you don't hear or see anything regarding Georgia State but once in a blue moon. Most folks only really know much about Georgia Southern if they have friends or family who went there. At least for us thats what this whole FBS move has meant for a lot of folks is driving that name into the national media.
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2014 07:44 AM by TrueBlueAlum.)
06-19-2014 07:39 AM
panama Offline
Legend

Yeah but when you start thinking about college in the 10th grade you start investigation and looking at options or maybe that was just me. At any rate even in 1985 I knew through investigation who my major college options in state were including GS

06-19-2014 07:53 AM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
(06-17-2014 03:29 PM)panama Wrote:  

For different reasons I think. Their hate for us is just based on principal I think. LOL

GSU doesn't move the needle much for me emotionally, more so in BB. GS I have a hate/respect for where I'd very much like to stomp them into the ground as payback for our two losses but find myself rooting for them otherwise. We're 0-2 against them in FB but both games were competitive and things got heated between the players on the field in Norfolk.
06-19-2014 08:13 AM
BlueBird10 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Georgia Southern
(06-19-2014 08:13 AM)mturn017 Wrote:  
(06-17-2014 03:29 PM)panama Wrote:  

GSU doesn't move the needle much for me emotionally, more so in BB. GS I have a hate/respect for where I'd very much like to stomp them into the ground as payback for our two losses but find myself rooting for them otherwise. We're 0-2 against them in FB but both games were competitive and things got heated between the players on the field in Norfolk.

Those two games were so competitive and some of the most exciting college football I've watched! Respect for ODU.
06-19-2014 08:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.