Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ST LOUIS Awarded The SEC Mens Basketball Tourney For 2018
Bookmark and Share
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
ST LOUIS Awarded The SEC Mens Basketball Tourney For 2018
What a big deal for Missouri and St Louis. St Louis is really good at hosting tourneys, so this should be a winner for the SEC! Tampa gets the 2022 tourney. All other years it will be in Nashville, which is fine. Nashville is a perfect location for all SEC schools.04-cheers
05-28-2014 01:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: ST LOUIS Awarded The SEC Mens Basketball Tourney For 2018
(05-28-2014 01:10 AM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  What a big deal for Missouri and St Louis. St Louis is really good at hosting tourneys, so this should be a winner for the SEC! Tampa gets the 2022 tourney. All other years it will be in Nashville, which is fine. Nashville is a perfect location for all SEC schools.04-cheers

Better get the ribs and beer ready. Mizzou gets to host in style! Congrats Medic!
05-28-2014 03:20 AM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

(05-28-2014 03:20 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(05-28-2014 01:10 AM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  What a big deal for Missouri and St Louis. St Louis is really good at hosting tourneys, so this should be a winner for the SEC! Tampa gets the 2022 tourney. All other years it will be in Nashville, which is fine. Nashville is a perfect location for all SEC schools.04-cheers

Better get the ribs and beer ready. Mizzou gets to host in style! Congrats Medic!

They have both Jr. After all, we have ribs named after the city. lol
05-28-2014 03:28 AM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
Nice. You'll definitely see a lot of Kentucky Blue during the tourney. I do wonder how the other fanbases will travel. Hopefully they are playing in the arena and not the dome.
05-28-2014 07:07 AM
bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

I Root For: UK, Lipscomb
(05-28-2014 07:07 AM)vandiver49 Wrote:  Nice. You'll definitely see a lot of Kentucky Blue during the tourney. I do wonder how the other fanbases will travel. Hopefully they are playing in the arena and not the dome.

I think it is great to send it to other cities every once in a while. I hope they eventually do the same for football out of Atlanta. It accomplishes a few things:

1. Makes the permanent host (Nashville for BB and Atlanta for FB) stay sharp and creative in their planning. It is easy to get in a rut when you know that you have the same task for decades on end. The risk of being out-shined by a satellite location is good for business.

2. Keeps the bidding process very tight and competitive, which helps all of the SEC.

3. Expands the opportunity to attend to the border states, which often get left out because of logistics.

4. Along with number 1, it makes fans appreciate the permanent site more by switching it up. Perennial attendees to these championships can get tunnel vision when they do the same old thing every year. A break from the norm is good for everyone. I guarantee St. Louis will add at least one wrinkle in 2019 that Nashville will emulate.
05-28-2014 10:29 AM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

(05-28-2014 07:07 AM)vandiver49 Wrote:  Nice. You'll definitely see a lot of Kentucky Blue during the tourney. I do wonder how the other fanbases will travel. Hopefully they are playing in the arena and not the dome.
I would imagine they are going to be playing where the Blues play. That is an awesome venue...
05-28-2014 10:56 AM
Advertisement

ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
Football wise, a small rotation can work, but I think keeping the location somewhat central to at least a good portion of the power teams is smart (Atlanta is close to most the power schools of the east). Given the weeks notice on the game and only 2 fanbases going, travel can be tough. For similar reasons, the Big Ten has said it will keep a central location for the B10CCG.

In that light, I could see New Orleans working well (although it already has the Sugar Bowl), but I'd probably not use St. Louis in football. It's the SEC and it will probably sell out regardless, but if they want top dollar and to make it at least manageable for a lot of fans, I think it's still smart.
05-28-2014 11:17 AM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

(05-28-2014 11:17 AM)ohio1317 Wrote:  Football wise, a small rotation can work, but I think keeping the location somewhat central to at least a good portion of the power teams is smart (Atlanta is close to most the power schools of the east). Given the weeks notice on the game and only 2 fanbases going, travel can be tough. For similar reasons, the Big Ten has said it will keep a central location for the B10CCG.

In that light, I could see New Orleans working well (although it already has the Sugar Bowl), but I'd probably not use St. Louis in football. It's the SEC and it will probably sell out regardless, but if they want top dollar and to make it at least manageable for a lot of fans, I think it's still smart.

Nashville would work great as well for the SEC FB Championship. NFL stadium and all...
05-28-2014 11:24 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-28-2014 11:24 AM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  
(05-28-2014 11:17 AM)ohio1317 Wrote:  Football wise, a small rotation can work, but I think keeping the location somewhat central to at least a good portion of the power teams is smart (Atlanta is close to most the power schools of the east). Given the weeks notice on the game and only 2 fanbases going, travel can be tough. For similar reasons, the Big Ten has said it will keep a central location for the B10CCG.

Nashville would work great as well for the SEC FB Championship. NFL stadium and all...

I can envision a day when the semi finals of the Conference Championship rotate closer to the divisional centers and Championship rotates as well. For example (St. Louis, Dallas, New Orleans and Nashville) for a Western venue for the semis. (Jacksonville, Tampa, Charlotte, Atlanta) for the Eastern venue for the semis. With the CCG being played in either Dallas, or Atlanta. I think they like domes for the CCG because it is insurance against the weather and they like large markets with big airports.
05-28-2014 12:46 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

(05-28-2014 12:46 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(05-28-2014 11:24 AM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  

I can envision a day when the semi finals of the Conference Championship rotate closer to the divisional centers and Championship rotates as well. For example (St. Louis, Dallas, New Orleans and Nashville) for a Western venue for the semis. (Jacksonville, Tampa, Charlotte, Atlanta) for the Eastern venue for the semis. With the CCG being played in either Dallas, or Atlanta. I think they like domes for the CCG because it is insurance against the weather and they like large markets with big airports.
True. I figure the dome venues would have a leg up on the open air stadiums, although the Super Bowl was played outdoors. One day later and that would have been a disaster.
05-28-2014 12:55 PM
john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
could this be a sign that the SEC is gonna start challenging other conferences by building up their presence in cities on the border next to other conferences like the acc & b10 are?

sec could put a hurting on the b12 by holding a CCG or BBT in texas (hell imagine doing it at cowboys stadium or even the cotton bowl). in the north they could pressure the b10 a little placing it in saint louis or piss of kansas by hosting the BBT in KC.
05-28-2014 08:00 PM
Advertisement

USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

(05-28-2014 08:00 PM)john01992 Wrote:  could this be a sign that the SEC is gonna start challenging other conferences by building up their presence in cities on the border next to other conferences like the acc & b10 are?

sec could put a hurting on the b12 by holding a CCG or BBT in texas (hell imagine doing it at cowboys stadium or even the cotton bowl). in the north they could pressure the b10 a little placing it in saint louis or piss of kansas by hosting the BBT in KC.
I think it is more of the SEC acknowledging Missouri's hard work as the newest SEC member.
05-28-2014 08:19 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-28-2014 08:19 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  
(05-28-2014 08:00 PM)john01992 Wrote:  could this be a sign that the SEC is gonna start challenging other conferences by building up their presence in cities on the border next to other conferences like the acc & b10 are?

I think it is more of the SEC acknowledging Missouri's hard work as the newest SEC member.

To quote Forrest Gump, "I think maybe it's both......, at the same time."
The SEC will be playing football neutral site games in Dallas the way they are playing them to start the season in Atlanta. So yes they intend to sell their brands on the perimeter of the conference. And yes it was done to reward and help Missouri make their transition. The speedway game that Tennessee and Virginia Tech will be playing is another. I fully look for neutral site games in Charlotte in the future and perhaps in Houston. I could even see neutral site games in hoops in Louisville, Indianapolis, and Nashville (not involving Vanderbilt).
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2014 02:02 PM by JRsec.)
05-29-2014 01:59 PM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina

Tampa in 2022? The SEC is starting to get nervous about Florida?
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2014 04:06 PM by XLance.)
05-29-2014 04:05 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-29-2014 04:05 PM)XLance Wrote:  

Tampa in 2022? The SEC is starting to get nervous about Florida?

No, especially not for basketball. Now this is really just a troll. I like you fine, even if we don't always agree, and you are always welcome here, but really?
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2014 05:13 PM by JRsec.)
05-29-2014 05:12 PM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
(05-29-2014 01:59 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

The SEC will be playing football neutral site games in Dallas the way they are playing them to start the season in Atlanta. So yes they intend to sell their brands on the perimeter of the conference. And yes it was done to reward and help Missouri make their transition. The speedway game that Tennessee and Virginia Tech will be playing is another. I fully look for neutral site games in Charlotte in the future and perhaps in Houston. I could even see neutral site games in hoops in Louisville, Indianapolis, and Nashville (not involving Vanderbilt).

I'm not opposed to the SEC Championship leaving ATL just to see what happens, but I definitely think having a permanent location helps with building the event into something special. So I could see the game in NOLA or Dallas every once in a blue moon.
05-30-2014 08:36 AM
Advertisement

USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

(05-30-2014 08:36 AM)vandiver49 Wrote:  
(05-29-2014 01:59 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

I'm not opposed to the SEC Championship leaving ATL just to see what happens, but I definitely think having a permanent location helps with building the event into something special. So I could see the game in NOLA or Dallas every once in a blue moon.
Or maybe just rotate it once every three or four years between the other NFL venues within the confines of the SEC. New Orleans, Houston, St Louis, etc. Atlanta does a great job, but everyone needs a little competition and new ideas, as has been mentioned earlier...
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2014 12:40 PM by USAFMEDIC.)
05-30-2014 12:31 PM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
Has there been any talk of moving the football championship game out of Atlanta too?
05-31-2014 04:07 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-31-2014 04:07 PM)XLance Wrote:  Has there been any talk of moving the football championship game out of Atlanta too?

Not in the next 10 years or so. The only speculation, and it's just that, has been if we wind up with Conference semi finals we will look hard at Dallas, and maybe in the future down the road we might alternate holding a semi in Dallas one year and the championship in Atlanta and then rotating.
05-31-2014 05:47 PM
jhawkmvp Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Kansas
The SEC should try to have some events in Kansas City. Maybe a game in Arrowhead early in the year or MU could put some kind of invitational BB tournament on there. MU has lost a lot of exposure there since leaving the B12. It would help them to have some events there. Kansas City is still solidly B12 country because of it. The B12 still has it's BB tournament there every year to help maintain that presence.

Hell, what am I doing giving suggestions to our old rival 01-wingedeagle.
06-03-2014 02:43 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.