Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Basketball doubleheaders next year
Bookmark and Share
GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Ga Southern
Read where all SoCon basketball games will be doubleheaders next year. So I am assuming this means if we host Troy the women's game will precede the men's game.

Has the Sun Belt normally done this?

I am assuming the rationale for this is to try to increase attendance for the women's game. Or is it a money saving move in some way?
05-27-2014 03:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
RE: Basketball doubleheaders next year
(05-27-2014 03:08 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  Read where all SoCon basketball games will be doubleheaders next year. So I am assuming this means if we host Troy the women's game will precede the men's game.

I am assuming the rationale for this is to try to increase attendance for the women's game. Or is it a money saving move in some way?

I guess men and womens teams can travel together and get discount rates.
05-27-2014 04:18 PM
T-Dog Offline
SunBeltbbs App State INsider

I Root For: App State
Last year men did Thur/Sat and women did Wed/Sat and the Saturday's were doubleheaders.

In the SoCon the men did Thur/Sat and the women did Sat/Mon, but not with the same teams.
05-27-2014 04:33 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(05-27-2014 03:08 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  Read where all SoCon basketball games will be doubleheaders next year. So I am assuming this means if we host Troy the women's game will precede the men's game.

Its meant to cut costs, increase attendance, keep a consistent schedule, and make everything easier generally. Scheduling quirks last year led to issues where we didn't always have teams go the same places, and not every women's team followed the same schedule, so some teams had one day off before a Saturday game, and others Two. Not to mention the 9 day break ASU somehow got between league games in Men's last year.

And yes, you'll play the same team. If the Women play Troy, the men do as well.
05-27-2014 04:43 PM
Advertisement

GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Ga Southern
I sort of like it. 20 games so 10 Thursday/Saturdays. I guess teams may have to play 1 Thursday/Saturday in December to get in the 20 games before the tourney.

I am a big supporter of a double round robin, especially if you are only going to take the top 8 at the tournament.
(This post was last modified: 05-27-2014 04:49 PM by GaSoEagle.)
05-27-2014 04:48 PM
Hemi Man Offline
Hector's Homeboy

I Root For: Troy
I personally think the doubleheaders are a very good idea.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
05-27-2014 04:59 PM
LUSportsFan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Lamar Cardinals
I really enjoyed the double-headers years ago. I'm a basketball "nut" and one advantage is that the double-headers increase exposure for both teams. The set up really helps if you have one team that is good and one team that is pathetic. Of course, it's even better if both teams are good.

The SLC started using them again last season. The main negative was that the first game generally ran long and pushed the second game start about 30 minutes to 1 hour late. I don't recall that occurring before. I think the difference may have been that the first game started earlier back in "the good old days". I hope the SLC will tweek the start times if the conference continues the double-header format.

Just wondering if other conferences experienced late starts in their second games.
(This post was last modified: 05-27-2014 05:40 PM by LUSportsFan.)
05-27-2014 05:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.