Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Non conference Scheduling for Sun Belt Members
Bookmark and Share
Cajuncat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: TXST
Non conference Scheduling for Sun Belt Members
I was watching College Football Live and they were discussing how the Power 5 are required to schedule an non conference opponent out of another Power 5 conference. The discussion went on that you will need a convincing strong schedule to make it to final 4.

In regards to that ,ACC and Big 10 are discussing scheduling each other. What two conferences should the Sunbelt be focusing on routinely scheduling. Who should we strike a deal with?
05-14-2014 05:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
RE: Non conference Scheduling for Sun Belt Members
The Sun Belt should schedule with the AAC. They are perceived as the strongest G5 conference and have a lot of recognizable faces within. If you can show that you con keep up and consistently beat them then you can elevate the Sun Belt. Also the conference geography doesn't overlap much so you can get the needed exposure into new areas to help sway the perception from the lowest G5 conference to the highest.
05-14-2014 06:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Vobserver Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Louisiana
(05-14-2014 06:09 PM)GE and MTS Wrote:  The Sun Belt should schedule with the AAC. They are perceived as the strongest G5 conference and have a lot of recognizable faces within. If you can show that you con keep up and consistently beat them then you can elevate the Sun Belt. Also the conference geography doesn't overlap much so you can get the needed exposure into new areas to help sway the perception from the lowest G5 conference to the highest.

First they have to be willing to schedule you.
05-14-2014 06:12 PM
GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
(05-14-2014 06:12 PM)Vobserver Wrote:  
(05-14-2014 06:09 PM)GE and MTS Wrote:  The Sun Belt should schedule with the AAC. They are perceived as the strongest G5 conference and have a lot of recognizable faces within. If you can show that you con keep up and consistently beat them then you can elevate the Sun Belt. Also the conference geography doesn't overlap much so you can get the needed exposure into new areas to help sway the perception from the lowest G5 conference to the highest.

First they have to be willing to schedule you.

That's true but the question asked was who should the Sun Belt try to schedule with, not who will accept. If that were the case then anyone could say no. But I think the AAC would accept but I think CUSA may be their first choice since many of their members came from that conference and would have some sort of "comfort" of playing former conference mates.
05-14-2014 06:15 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
(05-14-2014 05:52 PM)Cajuncat Wrote:  I was watching College Football Live and they were discussing how the Power 5 are required to schedule an non conference opponent out of another Power 5 conference. The discussion went on that you will need a convincing strong schedule to make it to final 4.

In regards to that ,ACC and Big 10 are discussing scheduling each other. What two conferences should the Sunbelt be focusing on routinely scheduling. Who should we strike a deal with?

I'm not sure how all of this scheduling stuff is going to fall out.

Arkansas for instance has made a career on hyping up the fans in pre-season, knocking off Western Illinois, Samford, North Texas, and Missouri State for a few games to reach a fan fever frenzy before slamming into a wall against Alabama. You sell a lot of t-shirts early in the season that way and pad your record.

It's going to be a tough adjustment for some programs that live that way to slam into that wall in game one or two instead.
05-14-2014 06:18 PM
Cajuncat Offline
Special Teams

I was thinking more along the lines of which power 5. I'd like to see us build up our linemen in the league and go after Big 10 teams
05-14-2014 07:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
Power 5, I'll play whoever will give us a home game.
05-14-2014 07:41 PM
Godzilla Offline
All American

They will start phasing out the G5, then start to have bad seasons and bad OOC records and missing bowls by a game or 2, then they will jump back on the G5's d!ck.
05-14-2014 07:45 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
Unless they allow teams to go to bowls with 3-9 records, a freeze out isn't going to happen.
05-14-2014 07:56 PM
97App Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Appalachian St
IMO it's not so much which P5 conference but which P5 teams we should target. If you are talking about a Home and Home arrangement then take what you can get. If you're talking about an away only money game then: We should avoid perennial top 10-15 teams like the plague. Try to go after the middle/average P5 teams. Those teams typically have a highly recognizable name but are winnable opponents. I'd also stay away from the perennial bottom feeders in those conferences as they may have a good season every now and then, but they don't do you any favors with perception when you win.
05-19-2014 08:49 AM
Crump1 Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte
It is going to be a risk/reward struggle for a lot of programs. So many of the programs in the "elite" conferences have never sniffed the top 4 with their scheduling and they are not likely to do so in a playoff either. Do you risk having frequent losing seasons instead of 7 or 8 wins a year in pursuit of an unlikely and elusive playoff spot? Or do you recognzie the risk and meet the bare minimum of replacing your FCS opponent with a lower P% opponent home and home so you can keep winning and going to bowls?

I have the same concerns for our programs if we decide to stop playing FCS opponents.
05-19-2014 09:02 AM
Advertisement

Eagle's Cliff Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ga Southern
Southern is new to this FBS game, but then the game itself is "new" with the playoffs, paying players, and restricting "voluntary" workouts. Our AD has a decent network with P5 and G5 schools and our OOC schedule is already looking good.

In my view, we're really competing with ourselves and peer schools. Growing our donor base, budget, and national profile is the primary concern. The OOC formula is pretty simple:

2 games vs P5 (one with potential for return visit to Paulson)
1 game vs G5 (home and home)
1 game vs regional FCS.

We'll be competitive, win our share, and keep some kids in Georgia (especially South Georgia) who have previously gone to G5's out of state.

None of us will be able to stop the P5 from separating themselves and using their market power and money to increase their advantage. From a marketing perspective, we'll be better off 7-5 in the SBC than we were being a perennial power in the FCS as long as we're competitive and punch a Big Boy in the mouth from time to time. Success will be measured by growth in donors and season ticket sales and sustained growth will increase competitiveness.
05-19-2014 09:51 AM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
Personally (and I'm totally ignoring the ABILITY to schedule this way, just my own scheduling utopia):

P5 - 2 for 1 (I don't think a 1-1 is reasonable)
G5 - (preferably MWC/AAC) 1-1
G5 - (CUSA) 1-1
FCS
05-19-2014 09:57 AM
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
(05-19-2014 09:51 AM)Eagles Cliff Wrote:  Southern is new to this FBS game, but then the game itself is "new" with the playoffs, paying players, and restricting "voluntary" workouts. Our AD has a decent network with P5 and G5 schools and our OOC schedule is already looking good.

In my view, we're really competing with ourselves and peer schools. Growing our donor base, budget, and national profile is the primary concern. The OOC formula is pretty simple:

2 games vs P5 (one with potential for return visit to Paulson)
1 game vs G5 (home and home)
1 game vs regional FCS.

We'll be competitive, win our share, and keep some kids in Georgia (especially South Georgia) who have previously gone to G5's out of state.

None of us will be able to stop the P5 from separating themselves and using their market power and money to increase their advantage. From a marketing perspective, we'll be better off 7-5 in the SBC than we were being a perennial power in the FCS as long as we're competitive and punch a Big Boy in the mouth from time to time. Success will be measured by growth in donors and season ticket sales and sustained growth will increase competitiveness.

I really dislike not having 6 home games each year so for me I would prefer:
1 - P5 money game
2- G5 home & home
1- FCS home
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2014 10:23 AM by Georgia_Power_Company.)
05-19-2014 10:23 AM
TOPSTRAIGHT Online
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
IMHO, FCS games should be limited (even though my school does it). One FCS game every 2 or 3 years or never.Tougher schedule strength and gives more chances for wins against other G5 or P5 schools.If you dont play them you cant beat em!
05-19-2014 10:33 AM
Crump1 Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte
We are getting some P5 home and homes now and hopefully that continues. My preference is:

1 guarantee game
1 P5 home and home
1 G5 home and home
1 FCS

this give you 6 home games a year and one big payout that covers just about the entire coaching staffs salaries at some schools.
05-19-2014 10:48 AM
Advertisement

TOPSTRAIGHT Online
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
Side benefit to playing FCS schools less.If all FBS schools would do it(unlikely) the price would go down.I've seen guarantees to FCS going as high as $400-500,000.If they had a harder time getting those games they would settle for less or at least stop the rise in payments.Budgets will become tighter with cost of attendance and other constraints. Every dollar counts for most G5 schools. I realize this probably won't happen. Just a thought. The Big Ten is doing this I think-even that will tighten up the opportunity for FCS and possibly help G5 schools indirectly.There are exceptions(a few have local FCS's that may bring big crowds) but most of the time another G5 or P5 will bring in a bigger gate and publicity.
05-19-2014 10:57 AM
boroeagle2 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GA SOUTHERN
I'd like to see
1 P5 money game
3 G5 home and homes until a P5 home and home becomes possible, with all the G5's in FLA and NC we should be able to fill this out. Probably dreaming.
05-19-2014 11:08 AM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
I'd Prefer Two P5's, with at least one being home and home, and Two G5's with both being home and homes. Dump the FCS.
05-19-2014 11:09 AM
GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
Sounds as if it is a major topic at the meeting going on in Destin.
Pretty much top priority.
[Image: aHHT03l_zps4a4d7d63.jpg~original]
05-19-2014 11:42 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.