Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Together we rise....
Bookmark and Share
SlickRick12 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ragin Cajuns
Together we rise....
...or at least that's what some would have you believe!

I'm not buying that BS. We ***** and moan about this conference, maybe more than we should, but sometimes the evidence is overwhelming and frustration level reaches it's limit.

I took the liberty of copying comments from one of our fan forums below.

"Soooooo, let me get this straight.

We have a softball player up for Freshman of the Year nationally, but she does not win in the S-BC.

We have a baseball player that wins national Player of the Week, but he does not win in the S-BC.

Nope, no problem with this conference."
05-12-2014 02:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SOT1977 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ULM
RE: Together we rise....
"We have a softball player up for Freshman of the Year nationally, but she does not win in the S-BC."

That one might be easy to explain but you probably won't buy it. Your player is up for Freshman of the Year for the way she's played ALL season. The girl who won the conference FOY probably played better or more outstandingly in CONFERENCE games only overall (I don't know, I haven't looked at the stats) thus that's why she was the conference Freshman of the Year (you'll note that she's not up for the national award). I'm sure there's other factors beside play on the field...maybe grades, outside activities, who knows?

And it's probably a sure bet that your athletic department strongly promoted their players to those who make these award decisions on the national level. So that means she got more pub than any other freshman in the Sun Belt. That has a lot to do with it, too. Most likely they overlooked promoting on the conference level thinking that they had a sure thing on sweeping the conference awards.

As to your other complaint, I can't help you there but let me be the first to offer my condolences that your guy didn't win the conference weekly award and could only get that national one. Sad day indeed.
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2014 03:46 PM by SOT1977.)
05-12-2014 03:40 PM
SlickRick12 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ragin Cajuns
You make a solid point regarding conference stats. All I've seen are the total season stats and the numbers don't compare except for batting average, which is a push. Defensively, I believe they were about the same as well.

Yeah, its a tough day indeed when your back-up INF gets national INF of the week and is not mentioned in his conference.
05-12-2014 04:01 PM
Advertisement

NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

I Root For: Ga Southern
didn't something similar happen earlier in the season. yall have a guy that was the louisville slugger player of the week or month or something, but wasn't named that for the conference?
05-12-2014 04:07 PM
sham84 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UL Ragin Cajuns
(05-12-2014 02:52 PM)SlickRick12 Wrote:  I took the liberty of copying comments from one of our fan forums below.

Please, not another Liberty thread...
05-12-2014 04:28 PM
Advertisement

SkullyMaroo Offline

I Root For: South Alabama
Hannah Campbell pitched a perfect game this season and didn't get Sun Belt Pitcher of the Week...
05-12-2014 04:40 PM
mathenis89 Offline
Sucks at NCAA Football 14

I Root For: WKU, Miami, OSU
(05-12-2014 02:52 PM)SlickRick12 Wrote:  ...or at least that's what some would have you believe!

I'm not buying that BS. We ***** and moan about this conference, maybe more than we should, but sometimes the evidence is overwhelming and frustration level reaches it's limit.

I took the liberty of copying comments from one of our fan forums below.

"Soooooo, let me get this straight.

We have a softball player up for Freshman of the Year nationally, but she does not win in the S-BC.

We have a baseball player that wins national Player of the Week, but he does not win in the S-BC.

Nope, no problem with this conference."

Uh oh. You said the L word.

Incoming spam.
05-12-2014 04:44 PM
Advertisement

zeebart21 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
(05-12-2014 03:40 PM)SOT1977 Wrote:  "We have a softball player up for Freshman of the Year nationally, but she does not win in the S-BC."

That one might be easy to explain but you probably won't buy it. Your player is up for Freshman of the Year for the way she's played ALL season. The girl who won the conference FOY probably played better or more outstandingly in CONFERENCE games only overall (I don't know, I haven't looked at the stats) thus that's why she was the conference Freshman of the Year (you'll note that she's not up for the national award). I'm sure there's other factors beside play on the field...maybe grades, outside activities, who knows?

And it's probably a sure bet that your athletic department strongly promoted their players to those who make these award decisions on the national level. So that means she got more pub than any other freshman in the Sun Belt. That has a lot to do with it, too. Most likely they overlooked promoting on the conference level thinking that they had a sure thing on sweeping the conference awards.

As to your other complaint, I can't help you there but let me be the first to offer my condolences that your guy didn't win the conference weekly award and could only get that national one. Sad day indeed.

Listen friend, we appreciate your input, but realize Louisiana is participating at highest level of NCAA competition unlike your JUCO thrift store. Your input is best save for the Latex's and McNeeses of the world. Let the big boys talk.

Z
05-12-2014 04:58 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
You guys realize the SBCPOW if a crap shoot right?
05-12-2014 05:57 PM
Advertisement

CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
(05-12-2014 05:57 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  You guys realize the SBCPOW if a crap shoot right?
Each SID sends in a player. Then the SIDs get to vote but can't vote for their own guy. Yes, it's a crap shoot. Had a pitcher that pitched a complete game shut out and he didn't get it that week, either.

National awards do consider academics; from what I can recall.
05-12-2014 10:28 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(05-12-2014 10:28 PM)CatMom Wrote:  
(05-12-2014 05:57 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  You guys realize the SBCPOW if a crap shoot right?
Each SID sends in a player. Then the SIDs get to vote but can't vote for their own guy. Yes, it's a crap shoot. Had a pitcher that pitched a complete game shut out and he didn't get it that week, either.

National awards do consider academics; from what I can recall.

Exactly. It took a crazy weekend for ASU to get one player awarded a player of the week crown this year. SID's generally don't have a great idea when voting on these things.
05-12-2014 10:30 PM
FoUTASportscaster Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTA
(05-12-2014 04:01 PM)SlickRick12 Wrote:  You make a solid point regarding conference stats. All I've seen are the total season stats and the numbers don't compare except for batting average, which is a push. Defensively, I believe they were about the same as well.

Yeah, its a tough day indeed when your back-up INF gets national INF of the week and is not mentioned in his conference.

It happened a few times in baseball and basketball for UTA. Man this conference is out to get us...

It also happened in the WAC a few times last year too.
05-13-2014 08:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.