UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bowl game or Fail?
4thDownBlazer Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UAB
Bowl game or Fail?
We are coming up on 10 years since the Blazer's trip to the Hawaii Bowl (Our only bowl appearance). Is our program at a point where its a failed season if we dont make it to a bowl game? Even with a new coach this season?
04-16-2014 09:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

the_blazerman Offline
Legend

RE: Bowl game or Fail?
Skate or Die?
04-16-2014 09:09 AM
The Answer UAB Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB!!!
I think everyone WANTS a bowl game, but our program has been so bad for so long that you can't consider it a failure if our first year coach doesn't make a bowl game next season. I think four-five wins would be a very good season for us.
04-16-2014 09:16 AM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Might as well say its a failed season if we don't win the national championship this year.
04-16-2014 09:28 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Given that 6 wins would triple our win total for last year, no.
04-16-2014 09:30 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
Ditto Smaug. That said a bowl would be a great shot in the arm for everyone. Doable but not expected.
04-16-2014 09:41 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
It's a failed season when the team doesn't show up for games, like it has done numerous times the last few years. It's much easier to handle a loss when just a couple of things going one way or the other could change the game. It really sucks losing by 800 to teams that haven't been competitive all year.

I don't think a bowl game is likely this year. I haven't thought that in years. I do think showing signs of improvement, especially on the defensive side, is likely. Outside of maybe a couple of teams in the conference, UAB should be able to play competitive football with every team in C-USA. As always, the Troy game will set the tone for the season. Hopefully this year if we have a QB playing lights out we won't put another in for the third series just because that was the game plan.
04-16-2014 10:08 AM
ICB Offline
Heisman

I just want the team to progress throughout the year... Whether that's winning 2 or 12.
04-16-2014 10:39 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
biglizard Offline
All American

I Root For:
Absolutely not. Show us some progress. We are so far from a bowl team in terms of talent (at least based on the last 2 years). Just go out there and compete for 60 minutes every Saturday. That's all I'm looking for
04-16-2014 10:50 AM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
A strong QB showing will be very positive for a better UAB season. What we can EXPECT today when we haven't even seen the team practice, may be overstating what we feel. We do know that the team lacked that as a factor in previous seasons (since Joe Webb). More multiplay drives (fewer 3 & outs) will help the "D" to improve its performance as well. I am hoping to see stronger play in the second half - particularly the 4th quarter - as a sign of improvement over 2012 & 2013.
04-16-2014 11:02 AM
blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
One thing I will say is we have a pretty good group of guys at the skill positions. McGee didn't fail in that area. Everywhere else, who knows? There are far too many question marks at this point, but I at least feel like we have a coach who knows what he wants to do now.
04-16-2014 11:05 AM
Advertisement

TPBlaze84 Offline
1st String

Unless the defensive backs have learned something about positioning, spacing, and tackling, it will be another long season. Hopefully some of the JUCOs we brought in are D-1 corners.
04-16-2014 11:36 AM
BlazerGrad88 Offline
All American

Bill Clark should be named National Coach of the Year if we make a bowl this year.
04-16-2014 11:52 AM
cb4029 Offline
The spoon that stirs the pot.

I Root For: Deez Nuts

Donators
The only way the season can be a failure is if we have the same win total as last year. 4-6 wins will be success. Anything more than that, we'll need to extend coaches contract. 05-stirthepot
04-16-2014 12:38 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(04-16-2014 12:38 PM)cb4029 Wrote:  The only way the season can be a failure is if we have the same win total as last year. 4-6 wins will be success. Anything more than that, we'll need to extend coaches contract. 05-stirthepot

Or if Legion Field collapses during a game. Or if they play a game and literally no one shows up. Or if someone dies from hot dog poisoning.
04-16-2014 12:48 PM
Montgomery Blazer Offline
Special Teams

Anything but a 62-27 loss to a team that had not won a game in 2 years. At home.

Worst loss in UAB history.
04-16-2014 01:30 PM
Advertisement

Dpickren Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UTC Mocs & UAB
(04-16-2014 09:08 AM)4thDownBlazer Wrote:  We are coming up on 10 years since the Blazer's trip to the Hawaii Bowl (Our only bowl appearance). Is our program at a point where its a failed season if we dont make it to a bowl game? Even with a new coach this season?

Yes
04-16-2014 01:45 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
Two factors in UAB's bowl quest -- We are likely to have improved performance by our whole team and there are more minor bowls this coming season. We can really expect that the former will be more critical to a bowl invitation than the latter. I expect to see some part of the former played out Friday evening.
04-16-2014 02:10 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(04-16-2014 11:36 AM)TPBlaze84 Wrote:  Unless the defensive backs have learned something about positioning, spacing, and tackling, it will be another long season. Hopefully some of the JUCOs we brought in are D-1 corners.

And they're not hung out to dry by a total lack of a pass rush.
(This post was last modified: 04-16-2014 02:16 PM by Smaug.)
04-16-2014 02:15 PM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I just want to see solid progress. Six wins is a long way from impossible, but I'm not marking lines in the sand in a coach's first season. Just be better, don't quit, and if we catch a little luck, well...

We'll see.
04-16-2014 02:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.