Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

X fans detest UD
Bookmark and Share
indycat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati
X fans detest UD
I'm amused by recent comments from X fans referring to Dayton as "little brother". I guess they need a school to look down on.

Funny thing though, UD is a larger university with an impressive tradition and fan following. They are the home team in Dayton; their arena is 30% larger than big brother's and usually filled to capacity. And in that arena hangs a Final Four banner. So who really is the little brother?

03-29-2014 01:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

chatcat Offline
All American

I Root For: BEARCATS
RE: X fans detest UD
(03-29-2014 01:33 PM)indycat Wrote:  I'm amused by recent comments from X fans referring to Dayton as "little brother". I guess they need a school to look down on.

Funny thing though, UD is a larger university with an impressive tradition and fan following. They are the home team in Dayton; their arena is 30% larger than big brother's and usually filled to capacity. And in that arena hangs a Final Four banner. So who really is the little brother?
Bueller, Bueller, Bueller, anyone.

03-29-2014 02:03 PM
bcat80 Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Bearcats

Donators
(03-29-2014 01:33 PM)indycat Wrote:  I'm amused by recent comments from X fans referring to Dayton as "little brother". I guess they need a school to look down on.

We'll X has a "final 5" banner. 02-13-banana

03-29-2014 06:54 PM
levydl Offline
All American

I Root For:
Dayton's lost something like 30 straight games at XU, dating back to the last days of the Carter Administration. I think they have a little bit of a claim over UD.

03-29-2014 11:53 PM
Advertisement

beck Offline
All American

I Root For:
(03-29-2014 11:53 PM)levydl Wrote:  Dayton's lost something like 30 straight games at XU, dating back to the last days of the Carter Administration. I think they have a little bit of a claim over UD.

AND they're cut from a different cloth, Ugzavier that is.

(This post was last modified: 03-30-2014 07:43 AM by beck.)
03-30-2014 07:43 AM
JackieTreehorn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Bearcats

Must be tough for XU fans, there are so few candidates available for them to look down on03-lmfao

03-30-2014 09:48 AM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

Donators
UD has a ton more money than XU. XU is cutting positions because their enrollment is down, Dayton is adding positions. In terms of academics, it really isn't close, Dayton outclasses XU.

03-31-2014 09:48 AM
Advertisement

Crewdogz Offline
I'm Your Huckleberry

I Root For: America
Donators
I had said this in another thread but I have heard from a few good sources that XU does not want UD in the nBE.

03-31-2014 12:07 PM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

Donators
(03-31-2014 12:07 PM)Crewdogz Wrote:  I had said this in another thread but I have heard from a few good sources that XU does not want UD in the nBE.

If true it is probably because they are on a downward spiral as a school. I talked to a great source at UD who said that XU faculty members are applying to Dayton in droves due to budget cuts across the board. XU is in a mess financially. Giving Dayton an opening into the Big East would probably hurt XU further with faculty seeing Dayton as "of the same level" as Xavier. Athletically UD is XU's TV contract away from having the same budget, essentially. Dayton's 13,000 at every game and huge support from their local corporate sponsors keeps them competitive financially with most of the Big East.

That being said... he told me he has not heard anything regarding XU blocking Dayton. He said if anything Dayton's performance and Butler falling on its face without Stevens as head coach has caused the Big East in general to be wary about adding anyone. They don't want to screw up again. I heard there is also possibly some animosity because there were a contingent of schools that wanted Dayton over Butler due to the fact Dayton is a Catholic university. This tournament has potentially added a few Dayton supporters to further argue that if anyone gets added it is Dayton.

Time will tell...

03-31-2014 12:49 PM
indycat Offline
1st String

I too have heard rumblings that all may not be well institutionally over on Victory Parkway, but I have no evidence to corroborate those reports. There was certainly a realization when they began looking at new peer institutions in conference such as Georgetown, that X has a long way to go on endowment and private support. In the old Big East UC found that salaries for Olympic sports coaches had to move up just to remain competitive with conference peers so with added revenues (their TV deal) there are also added expenses.

03-31-2014 02:27 PM
Advertisement

Former Lurker Offline
All American

I Root For: UC...who else?
I was always under the impression that, academically, X was far more rigorous than UD. It's said to be a Jesuit thing.

04-01-2014 11:28 AM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

Donators
(04-01-2014 11:28 AM)Former Lurker Wrote:  I was always under the impression that, academically, X was far more rigorous than UD. It's said to be a Jesuit thing.

As far as I know, undergrad at X is not that rigorous in any way.

Honestly, I don't know much about X since they have basically zero engineering there. If you want to go into any kind of math based profession I don't think Xavier is even an option.

04-01-2014 11:31 AM
indycat Offline
1st String

Unlike UC, X faculty and staff have tuition benefits for their children that are transferable to other Catholic universities. I'm aware of several cases where those parents have intentionally chosen to send their own kids to UD or St. Louis University.

X always used to boast of their MBA program which UC just blew by in the latest rankings. That has to hurt. Try finding a ranked specialty or discipline over there in the U.S. News survey. In the past they've never been classified as a national university for ranking purposes but have crowed about being a top 10 school in the Midwest. Of course they weren't competing with Midwest schools Notre Dame, Marquette or Michigan--all were evaluated with the national universities group where UC is measured.

04-02-2014 07:39 AM
Advertisement

CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(04-02-2014 07:39 AM)indycat Wrote:  Unlike UC, X faculty and staff have tuition benefits for their children that are transferable to other Catholic universities. I'm aware of several cases where those parents have intentionally chosen to send their own kids to UD or St. Louis University.

X always used to boast of their MBA program which UC just blew by in the latest rankings. That has to hurt. Try finding a ranked specialty or discipline over there in the U.S. News survey. In the past they've never been classified as a national university for ranking purposes but have crowed about being a top 10 school in the Midwest. Of course they weren't competing with Midwest schools Notre Dame, Marquette or Michigan--all were evaluated with the national universities group where UC is measured.

UC passed up Miami's program as well. I wish we would do a better job pointing that out across the region.

04-02-2014 10:12 AM
BearcatsUC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
I've long speculated that X began its downward recruitment spiral because they decided to use basketball as an advertising medium to generate more public awareness and applications. X lost me when they dropped their principles to recruit good players over good people, while maintaining their air of moral superiority.

I don't know that Dayton is all that much wealthier than X, but I do know that X isn't exactly brimming with cash, and they are in a tough position.

If X were a top-notch academic institution that can command high tuition (ie Georgetown) that would be one thing. Unfortunately for them, X is merely decent. As the model for higher education changes, many schools will fail to remain competitive, and I've pondered whether X will be able to keep up.

edited to add: X's endowment is $144M, according to their website. That's fairly small. UD's is around $400M. Not exactly huge for a private institution, but a lot better.

(This post was last modified: 04-02-2014 08:27 PM by BearcatsUC.)
04-02-2014 11:04 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.