Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Gene Chizik on Campus at Troy
Bookmark and Share
Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
Exclamation Gene Chizik on Campus at Troy
Word is he came down for practice yesterday.

Blakeney said he wanted to come down and watch practice and talk ball.
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2014 02:12 PM by Atlanta Trojan.)
03-20-2014 02:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

RE: Gene Chizik on Campus at Troy
03-20-2014 02:12 PM
Tiguar Offline
All American

I Root For: South Alabama
I would not want that anywhere near my program
03-20-2014 02:33 PM
Advertisement

Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(03-20-2014 02:33 PM)Tiguar Wrote:  I would not want that anywhere near my program

Gene was a good defensive coordinator. He knows what he's doing in that regard.
03-20-2014 02:34 PM
Tiguar Offline
All American

(03-20-2014 02:34 PM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  
(03-20-2014 02:33 PM)Tiguar Wrote:  I would not want that anywhere near my program

Gene was a good defensive coordinator. He knows what he's doing in that regard.

perhaps, I don't know anymore. "the decline" was brutal and unforgiving
03-20-2014 02:41 PM
Advertisement

Pounce FTW Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU - MU - AU
I have a soft spot for the Chiz because my wife is an Auburn grad, and early 2011 was pretty notable in the life of my family (a National Championship for the Tigers, then getting married less than two months later).

However, it's hard to know how much of his success at AU came down to just a few steps:
(1) Hire Gus Malzahn.
(2) Recruit Cam Newton.
(3) ???
(4) Crystal football!
03-20-2014 03:35 PM
eaglewraith Offline
Heisman

I Root For: GA Southern
(03-20-2014 03:35 PM)Pounce FTW Wrote:  I have a soft spot for the Chiz because my wife is an Auburn grad, and early 2011 was pretty notable in the life of my family (a National Championship for the Tigers, then getting married less than two months later).

However, it's hard to know how much of his success at AU came down to just a few steps:
(1) Hire Gus Malzahn.
(2) Recruit Cam Newton.
(3) ???
(4) Crystal football!

If he'd kept to the defensive side of things and allowed Malzahn to run the offense without interference things might have been different. Same with Muschamp at UF.

Also, I knew Chizik's days at Auburn were done when he hired Brian Vangorder. Brian Kelly better hope he can score a ton of points.
03-20-2014 04:00 PM
Advertisement

CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

(03-20-2014 04:00 PM)eaglewraith Wrote:  If he'd kept to the defensive side of things and allowed Malzahn to run the offense without interference things might have been different. Same with Muschamp at UF.

Also, I knew Chizik's days at Auburn were done when he hired Brian Vangorder. Brian Kelly better hope he can score a ton of points.

The only year Malzahn was there was when they won the national title. I'm pretty sure Chizik didn't get in the way of anything that time. I think the reason he declined as a head coach was because he hired a terrible offensive coordinator after Malzahn left. Chizik certainly had no problem recruiting either.

Sounds like Bolt was picking Chizik's brain for some defensive strategies/ideas. I like it... Chizik was an awesome DC.
03-20-2014 07:20 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(03-20-2014 07:20 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  
(03-20-2014 04:00 PM)eaglewraith Wrote:  If he'd kept to the defensive side of things and allowed Malzahn to run the offense without interference things might have been different. Same with Muschamp at UF.

The only year Malzahn was there was when they won the national title. I'm pretty sure Chizik didn't get in the way of anything that time. I think the reason he declined as a head coach was because he hired a terrible offensive coordinator after Malzahn left. Chizik certainly had no problem recruiting either.

Sounds like Bolt was picking Chizik's brain for some defensive strategies/ideas. I like it... Chizik was an awesome DC.

Malzahn was at Auburn 3 years as OC. Played in the Outback Bowl year 1, Won the National Title year 2, Played in the ChikFilA Bowl year 3.
03-20-2014 07:23 PM
Tiguar Offline
All American

(03-20-2014 07:20 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  The only year Malzahn was there was when they won the national title. I'm pretty sure Chizik didn't get in the way of anything that time. I think the reason he declined as a head coach was because he hired a terrible offensive coordinator after Malzahn left. Chizik certainly had no problem recruiting either.

the defense was absolutely god awful in 2012 and showed signs of weakness in 2011.

2010 was hot and cold, but hot when it needed to be
03-20-2014 11:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.