Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Cheer on your Louisiana Ragin Cajuns!
Bookmark and Share
Louisianafanrcajun90 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UL
Cheer on your Louisiana Ragin Cajuns!
I can't believe this appeared in a Lake Charles newspaper. This would be like Al-Qaeda writing an article about how great America is and we are winning the war on terror. Most folks born and raised in Lake Charles absolutely hate us.

http://www.americanpress.com/Gazzolo-column-3-18-14
03-19-2014 09:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns
RE: Cheer on your Louisiana Ragin Cajuns!
While I don't know the fellow who wrote the piece, I assume he's not necessarily a big Cajun fan. Having said that, he was about as objective as anyone I've seen on the subject. Good find!

Full Article:

What’s really in a name anyway.

Louisiana will have a basketball team in the big dance, though not everybody will rally behind the team.

Nor does anybody really know what to call it, either.

The team from Lafayette, which wants to be called the University of Louisiana will have to settle for representing the state in the upcoming NCAA tournament.

No matter what you want to call the Ragin Cajuns, you have to a least realize what is going on down the road in Lafayette and admire it.

Louisiana-Lafayette, or for our purposes ULL, has seen a growth spurt that is leaving other institutions envious.

The trip to the big dance, which the Cajuns earned Sunday by winning the Sun Belt championship in overtime over Georgia State, shows the school is making noise now on all levels.

People in Lake Charles, Monroe, Ruston or even New Orleans may not want to hear this, and clearly the folks in Baton Rouge don’t care, but ULL has become a hot bed for athletic programs.

It’s clearly not the top school in the state, but it’s just as clear that ULL has become Louisiana’s second banana.

That’s not too bad when you consider all that is going on.

The school’s men’s basketball team is just the latest in a line of programs that have shown vast improvement in recent years.

However, the NCAA tournament does give the school a great place to once again showcase itself, even if its stay in the tourney proves to be a short one.

That doesn’t matter.

Over the next few days T-shirts will be sold with the Cajuns proclaiming themselves as a tourney team.

Stories on websites and in newspapers will give the university exposure and the Lafayette community a chance to gloat — as if it doesn’t do enough of that already.

And most importantly it will give the school an extra opportunity to get its name out in the general public.

That’s what the NCAA tournament does for schools and basketball programs.

For ULL, this comes as part of a pretty good run.

The Cajuns have already beaten LSU in baseball this year, even if the game was called early because of weather. The baseball Cajuns also lost to the Tigers in the Baton Rouge Regional last May, showing they are at least on the playing field with one of the nation’s best programs.

The softball program has been good for more than a few years, twice beating LSU to win last year’s regional before losing in the Super Regional.

As far as football goes, we have all seen the three-year run the Cajuns are on.

They have not only made three straight trips to the New Orleans Bowl, but have won all the games.

ULL has an athletic program that is on the rise, one that could serve others who are thinking about moving up as a blueprint to long-term success.

Are you watching, McNeese fans?

Of course not all schools that have tried this have had the same success. Louisiana-Monroe serves notice of the troubles that await if things don’t go right.

Still, it is clearly working out for the Ragin Cajuns.

While that may make others around the state dislike them more, or take shots at what the school wants to be called, it does make you talk about them if nothing else.

And, yes, their fans will be obnoxious for a few days but you have to give credit where credit is due.

We may not know what to call them, but their basketball team is still playing.

Like it or not, no other Louisiana basketball team can say that.
03-19-2014 09:30 PM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
Couple parts stood out:

Quote:Stories on websites and in newspapers will give the university exposure and the Lafayette community a chance to gloat — as if it doesn’t do enough of that already.

AND

Quote:And, yes, their fans will be obnoxious for a few days but you have to give credit where credit is due.
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2014 09:34 PM by TheRevSWT.)
03-19-2014 09:32 PM
Advertisement

CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

(03-19-2014 09:32 PM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  Couple parts stood out:

Quote:Stories on websites and in newspapers will give the university exposure and the Lafayette community a chance to gloat — as if it doesn’t do enough of that already.

AND

Quote:And, yes, their fans will be obnoxious for a few days but you have to give credit where credit is due.

I do my part to be as obnoxious as possible.04-cheers
03-19-2014 09:34 PM
CrazyCajun Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana

AND

Sounds like the same things UNT fans say about Texas State.... You see something that clearly stands out is this article was written for a McNeese State audience from a newspaper in Lake Charles. McNeese State fans actually believe their fans aren't obnoxious because they are allowed to tell other schools what they should be! They have argued for years that UL belonged in the FCS because they can compete for a national championship and now they want to move up? Imagine that!
03-19-2014 10:47 PM
Advertisement

TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
Writer sounds like a *******.
03-19-2014 10:53 PM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
(03-19-2014 10:53 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  Writer sounds like a *******.

That was kinda my point when highlighting those quotes.

Guy is begrudgingly acknowledging what is going on.
03-20-2014 08:10 AM
Advertisement

TStatebobcat Offline
2nd String

I Root For: TxSt
(03-19-2014 10:47 PM)CrazyCajun Wrote:  

AND

Sounds like the same things UNT fans say about Texas State.... You see something that clearly stands out is this article was written for a McNeese State audience from a newspaper in Lake Charles. McNeese State fans actually believe their fans aren't obnoxious because they are allowed to tell other schools what they should be! They have argued for years that UL belonged in the FCS because they can compete for a national championship and now they want to move up? Imagine that!

That's hilarious! I went to their forum a while back and was surprised to see all the complaining about being left behind. It took about 30 years, but finally the decision to leave FBS for the FCS pastures is finally coming to bite them in the rear end.
03-20-2014 09:10 AM
CAJUNNATION Offline
1st String

I Root For: Western Civilization

These are the types of people we have to deal with every day over here.

They call in to the networks when they have us listed as Louisiana to set them straight.

These are grown men acting like 13 year old little boys on their momma's computer in their basement. They probably talk with a lisp too.

So, when some of us seem a little touchy about our preferred name for athletics, cut us a little slack.
03-20-2014 09:14 AM
Advertisement

CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

(03-20-2014 08:10 AM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  

That was kinda my point when highlighting those quotes.

Guy is begrudgingly acknowledging what is going on.

You peeps are missing the entire point.

Yeah, the guy would rather swallow a bad clam than write some of that stuff which just goes to show how much noise the Cajuns are making. They can't ignore it any longer.
03-20-2014 09:17 AM
CrazyCajun Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
(03-20-2014 09:10 AM)TStatebobcat Wrote:  
(03-19-2014 10:47 PM)CrazyCajun Wrote:  

AND

That's hilarious! I went to their forum a while back and was surprised to see all the complaining about being left behind. It took about 30 years, but finally the decision to leave FBS for the FCS pastures is finally coming to bite them in the rear end.

Considering their president led the push to kick USL out of the SLC in all other sports because we moved up in football, it is hilarious. A large number of their fans have two bumper stickers on their vehicles, McNeese and LSU.
03-20-2014 09:42 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.