Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Did ETSU get ahead of itself?
Bookmark and Share
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Did ETSU get ahead of itself?
School board not happy they aren't being included in talks between Johnson City and ETSU about using the sports facilities.

Quote:Now we’re getting down to the nitty-gritty,” Hager said. “ETSU wants to use the building, they want to use the stadium? Well let’s see some contracts and what we’re actually talking about here

Also according to that article playing basketball at Freedom Hall next year is going to happen.

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/article/...orts-plans
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2014 10:31 AM by RodShaw2.)
02-04-2014 10:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I Root For: ETSU/Mid Majors
RE: Did ETSU get ahead of itself?
And that's why JC and the tri cities doesn't have a new arena or cant get new and exciting. The better response here is to sit back, get behind closed doors and get your back scratched. Shows just how Damn stupid people can be.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
02-04-2014 10:40 AM
ETSUfan Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ETSU
An interesting note from the article:
BOE and Freedom Hall Committee member Thomas Hager said he was told by university officials that representatives of the Southern Conference, which ETSU will rejoin next year, preferred the city-owned Freedom Hall over the college’s Mountain States Health Alliance Athletic Center, know commonly as the Minidome, for the team’s home basketball venue.

I read that and it tells me that it may not have been up to ETSU to begin with. The move may have been set in motion the second we agreed to SoCon.
02-04-2014 10:58 AM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(02-04-2014 10:40 AM)Buccaneerlover Wrote:  And that's why JC and the tri cities doesn't have a new arena or cant get new and exciting. The better response here is to sit back, get behind closed doors and get your back scratched. Shows just how Damn stupid people can be.

Looks like the city and ETSU have been sitting behind closed doors talking without letting the school board know what is going on so the school board went to the paper to force the talks out in the open. I am sorry but ETSU using Freedom Hall or the football stadium shouldn't cost the schools 1 cent.
02-04-2014 11:04 AM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

It wouldn't have, had they played ball the school would've seen direct benefits. That's how back scratching works. Renovated freedom hall, additions to their fb stadium, etc... but go ahead and pissed off ETSU and the city. Motivate them to build quicker.

02-04-2014 11:06 AM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(02-04-2014 11:06 AM)Buccaneerlover Wrote:  It wouldn't have, had they played ball the school would've seen direct benefits. That's how back scratching works. Renovated freedom hall, additions to their fb stadium, etc... but go ahead and pissed off ETSU and the city. Motivate them to build quicker.

ETSU needs Johnson City a whole hell of a lot more the Johnson City needs ETSU right now. Go back to the SoCon and tell them sorry we can't play at Freedom Hall and we have no plans to build a arena.
You are going start a football program? Well have fun driving to Kingsport or playing in a parking lot the way things move at ETSU football stadium stage one will probably be 4 years away.
02-04-2014 11:12 AM
Advertisement

RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Sorry but I agree with the school board, The City and ETSU can shake hands and wink at each other all they want.
That doesn't help the school board, they need to know how much is this going to cost us and what are we getting out of it? They need concrete numbers, you can't make a budget on "considerations"
02-04-2014 11:14 AM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

Youb don't think the city wont put the school board in their place? The state? The Lt. Governor is an ETSU guy, not a JC guy. The city seems to want to work with ETSU, and Science Hill needs a field house. Its not rocket science, its sucking up pride, putting on big boy pants and playing nice.
But nobody there knows how to do that so there's a hell hole civic center and a very basic high school stadium

02-04-2014 11:15 AM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(02-04-2014 11:15 AM)Buccaneerlover Wrote:  Youb don't think the city wont put the school board in their place? The state? The Lt. Governor is an ETSU guy, not a JC guy. The city seems to want to work with ETSU, and Science Hill needs a field house. Its not rocket science, its sucking up pride, putting on big boy pants and playing nice.
But nobody there knows how to do that so there's a hell hole civic center and a very basic high school stadium

You don't think Science Hill parents (2nd largest in the state) most of who don't care about ETSU might put Johnson City and Ramsey in their place? Ramsey might be an ETSU guy but he is also all politician.
Yeah let the Press (who seems to be anti football anyway) start weighing in with stories about how Johnson City is taking from Science Hill and giving to ETSU and see how the wind blows.
02-04-2014 11:30 AM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

No, I don't. Ramsey is liked in places that have more money and power than those slack jaw wannabes at science hill.
Let this pissing match happen and everyone gets wet. That's the closed minded thinking that has the tri in the shape its in. Science Hill could get their field house and then some out of JC and ETSU, but they're too butt hurt to think creatively to get what they want.
And no, high school parents in a small county for one school wont affect Ramsey, not when the largest and wealthiest in Tennessee likes him.

02-04-2014 11:36 AM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I think ETSU needs to tell Johnson City exactly what they are getting. You keep saying a fieldhouse, where have you seen that ETSU has agreed to build a field house for Science Hill? If they said that, great, a concrete benefit, all I saw was Science Hill needed to build one because ETSU needed it(Yes Science Hill needs it but not right now ETSU needs it quicker). Where have you read the ETSU said they would pay to renovate Freedom Hall? I haven't seen that. All I have seen is ETSU saying WE are going to play basketball there next year and WE are going to play football at your stadium, now it is time for ETSU to say what Science Hill/Liberty Bell get out the deal. Show me something to back up this back scratching you keep talking about. That is all the School Board wants.
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2014 12:07 PM by RodShaw2.)
02-04-2014 11:47 AM
Advertisement

etsubuc Offline
All American

(02-04-2014 10:58 AM)ETSUfan Wrote:  An interesting note from the article:
BOE and Freedom Hall Committee member Thomas Hager said he was told by university officials that representatives of the Southern Conference, which ETSU will rejoin next year, preferred the city-owned Freedom Hall over the college’s Mountain States Health Alliance Athletic Center, know commonly as the Minidome, for the team’s home basketball venue.

I read that and it tells me that it may not have been up to ETSU to begin with. The move may have been set in motion the second we agreed to SoCon.

I mentioned this at the time. Part of being accepted to the Southern Conference was the informal agreement to quit playing in the Dome.
02-04-2014 12:13 PM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

Well, as far as Freedom hall goes from what I can tell is it's owned by the city, not Science Hill and certainly not the Johnson City School Board, so their opinion on that means about as much as winning the Howard Dean Scream Off.
It also appears that Kermit Tipton Stadium has some city ties as well.
http://www.johnsoncitytn.org/parksrec/fa...spx#kermit

The school board can say what they want, it's not THEIR FACILITY, it belongs to Johnson City, and the taxpayers. That place wasn't privately funded, and if it weren't for the city, they'd still playing over in the ghetto in a rotting stadium.
And no, there's nothing public out there as to what could be in it for Science Hill, and there shouldn't be. This should've been handled with informal talks, behind closed doors and not taken to the paper and rabble rousing. It was poorly handled by the school board and it will cost them in the long run. But that's just it, that's what so many up there don't understand, they can't play the game and get it to where everyone is happy and everyone wins. It's better in their mind to "Go to the papers" and create drama. The bottom line is ETSU will play football at KTS, and basketball at Freedom Hall, and the school board will fall in line. The people who control the money they get in the city and the state want the Bucs there, and they can stomp their feet and throw a tantrum all they want, they don't have the power. It'll be pretty easy to say we gotta tighten the belts on the budget, and make across the board cuts.
One more thing, Science Hill may be the second largest school in the state (only to McGavock High School/prison), but that doesn't mean anything to lawmakers who want things done, and while SHHS is considered a top 20 school in Tennessee, it's not the best high school in Johnson City, UH is academically.
02-04-2014 05:29 PM
BucDoctor Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa, ETSU
The city is losing money hand over fist at Freedom Hall and the school board wants to make sure that continues? Go figure...

Historically Johnson City without ETSU would have looked a lot like Bluff City.

So should ETSU prepare to play their basketball games at Milligan? Seems to me it is that - or hit the asphalt. Dang I hate sitting outside on bleachers in the snow to watch a basketball game :)
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2014 07:46 PM by BucDoctor.)
02-04-2014 07:20 PM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(02-04-2014 05:29 PM)Buccaneerlover Wrote:  One more thing, Science Hill may be the second largest school in the state (only to McGavock High School/prison), but that doesn't mean anything to lawmakers who want things done, and while SHHS is considered a top 20 school in Tennessee, it's not the best high school in Johnson City, UH is academically.
I graduated from UH so I am not a Science Hill homer but the fact that a school that large could even be ranked that high is impressive. Science Hill is almost 10x larger then UH (9th-12th).

As for the rest, lol, great way for ETSU to get the citizens of Johnson City behind the football program. They come in heavy handed and force it down peoples throat they will get zero support ( they don't have much now) from the surrounding area. But sure do it your way.
ETSU needs to bend over backwards and kiss everybody's butt they can pucker up and reach. Like I said they need Johnson City and good will more the city needs them.

Hell I am not sure I want football back with all this crap. We don't have enough money to go around so everybody is going to get just enough to suck.
02-04-2014 09:02 PM
bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

I really think it will be totally worked out in the end. Everyone knows it is a win/win situation because what exactly is the total basis of the economy of Johnson City? E T S U.
02-04-2014 09:56 PM
Advertisement

etsubuc Offline
All American

I do not think that ETSU needs the city much at all. I have always been skeptical of ETSU trying to work with this city, the city leadership is incapable of making decisions efficiently.
02-04-2014 10:40 PM
TheShadow Offline
2nd String

Yes please. Let's keep ETSU out of Freedom Hall at all costs. Its of much better use to taxpayers as a $50 million dollar junior high PE building. That generates SOOOO much revenue for the city. /sarcasm
02-05-2014 09:41 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I did do some further checking into this, and indeed KTS as well as Freedom Hall are Municipal facilities, meaning the city, not the school system owns them. Split the meter at Freedom Hall, and tell the school board to shut up or else.
And after re reading it, I realize why this piece was ran, a very butthurt Dr. Manahan is just mad that Noland ran his ass off campus.
02-05-2014 11:49 AM
Firemedic127 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: ETSU, VOLS
(02-04-2014 11:12 AM)RodShaw2 Wrote:  
(02-04-2014 11:06 AM)Buccaneerlover Wrote:  It wouldn't have, had they played ball the school would've seen direct benefits. That's how back scratching works. Renovated freedom hall, additions to their fb stadium, etc... but go ahead and pissed off ETSU and the city. Motivate them to build quicker.

ETSU needs Johnson City a whole hell of a lot more the Johnson City needs ETSU right now. Go back to the SoCon and tell them sorry we can't play at Freedom Hall and we have no plans to build a arena.
You are going start a football program? Well have fun driving to Kingsport or playing in a parking lot the way things move at ETSU football stadium stage one will probably be 4 years away.

Kingsport would be more than happy to host the games! Unlike these cry baby idiots in JC. I wish the whole college could have been located in Kingsport instead of JC.
02-05-2014 12:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.