Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If the Sun Belt and CUSA were smart...
Bookmark and Share
8993 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: App State
If the two conferences were smart and not constantly at each other's throats, they could realign to make much tighter geographical conferences. For example, have an eastern conference, maybe entitled The Southern Atlantic Conference, and then a western conference, maybe entitled The Deep South Conference.

Southern Atlantic:
Old Dominion
UNC-Charlotte
Appalachian State
Marshall
Western Kentucky
Middle Tennessee
Georgia State
Georgia Southern
Alabama-Birmingham
Troy
Florida International
Florida Atlantic
James Madison

Deep South:
South Alabama
Southern Mississippi
Louisiana
Louisiana-Monroe
Arkansas State
Arkansas-Little Rock
Rice
Texas-San Antonio
Texas State
Texas-Arlington
North Texas
Texas-El Paso
Missouri State
NMSU

Sorry, Idaho, but in this scenario, you get the boot.
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2014 01:12 AM by 8993.)
01-27-2014 10:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Check Yosef Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
15 and 14 team conferences would hurt financially

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
01-27-2014 10:26 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
RE: If the Sun Belt and CUSA were smart...
Everything the SBC and CUSA have done so far have shown that they ain't very smart.
01-27-2014 10:59 PM
statefanatic Offline
Howl at the Moon

I Root For: stAte
When did Alabama get a Little Rock? Also when did Georgia Southern get two schools?
01-27-2014 11:26 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
In every scenario, Idaho should get the boot.

And in this scenario, the basketball only schools should also be sent with Idaho.
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2014 08:59 AM by Usajags.)
01-28-2014 08:58 AM
Panthersville Offline
1st String

I Root For: Georgia State
(01-27-2014 10:26 PM)Check Yosef Wrote:  15 and 14 team conferences would hurt financially

Drop NMSU, Mo State and JMU (IOW, just use the teams currently in the two conferences).

I'm all for it, and if the two conferences looked at how regional tightness leads to stability (see the MAC), it should be a no-brainer.....but it's never gonna happen.
01-28-2014 09:09 AM
Advertisement

Hardcore Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Ragin' Cajuns
(01-28-2014 09:09 AM)Panthersville Wrote:  
(01-27-2014 10:26 PM)Check Yosef Wrote:  15 and 14 team conferences would hurt financially

Drop NMSU, Mo State and JMU (IOW, just use the teams currently in the two conferences).

I'm all for it, and if the two conferences looked at how regional tightness leads to stability (see the MAC), it should be a no-brainer.....but it's never gonna happen.

Forgot La Tech
01-28-2014 09:15 AM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

All the conference heads are chasing the all mighty dollar right now, and those alignments would never work because the footprint is to small and doesn't open enough TV markets for each conference. This is the downfall of college sports. Fans want to be able to travel to games, as the conferences have overgrown beyond reason, travel to away games have become a dream instead of the norm.

West Virginia fans are complaining about the Big 12, It won't be another year or so before Mizzou starts complaining about the SEC travel. And these are the big guys in big conferences.
01-28-2014 09:24 AM
Panthersville Offline
1st String

(01-28-2014 09:15 AM)Hardcore Wrote:  

Forgot La Tech

Send UTEP to the WAC.....fixed.
01-28-2014 09:27 AM
Panthersville Offline
1st String

(01-28-2014 09:24 AM)Usajags Wrote:  All the conference heads are chasing the all mighty dollar right now, and those alignments would never work because the footprint is to small and doesn't open enough TV markets for each conference. This is the downfall of college sports. Fans want to be able to travel to games, as the conferences have overgrown beyond reason, travel to away games have become a dream instead of the norm.

West Virginia fans are complaining about the Big 12, It won't be another year or so before Mizzou starts complaining about the SEC travel. And these are the big guys in big conferences.

The G5 will learn that the P5 revenue model doesn't work for them. Markets are still important, but the size of the footprint doesn't matter as much as market penetration. I think the G5-level conferences are going to figure out that fan accessibility is more important (and more lucrative) than the TV contracts they can get are going to be. With more regional footprints, you can get better ratings on regional networks than you can on national networks, probably to the point that the revenue would even-out.
01-28-2014 09:33 AM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(01-28-2014 09:33 AM)Panthersville Wrote:  
(01-28-2014 09:24 AM)Usajags Wrote:  All the conference heads are chasing the all mighty dollar right now, and those alignments would never work because the footprint is to small and doesn't open enough TV markets for each conference. This is the downfall of college sports. Fans want to be able to travel to games, as the conferences have overgrown beyond reason, travel to away games have become a dream instead of the norm.

The G5 will learn that the P5 revenue model doesn't work for them. Markets are still important, but the size of the footprint doesn't matter as much as market penetration. I think the G5-level conferences are going to figure out that fan accessibility is more important (and more lucrative) than the TV contracts they can get are going to be. With more regional footprints, you can get better ratings on regional networks than you can on national networks, probably to the point that the revenue would even-out.

Check it out, a South fan and a GaState fan agree on something. 04-cheers
01-28-2014 09:58 AM
Advertisement

Buzz Lightyear Lite Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: TROY

Forgot La Tech

don't we all03-lmfao
01-28-2014 11:52 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston

I don't think that's true. The regionals simply pay less. However, if the G5 organized and negotiated their TV contract as a group (like the old CFA did), then the exact conference footprint would be less important. In fact, a conclave of all the conferences could be held at which the schools were reorganized into 4 conferences on the basis of geography without any loss of value based on footprints (since it was negotiated as a 64 team conglomerate--the contract footprint is the entire nation). Plus negotiation as a group means that half of all college football inventory falls under the control of one entity. That makes such an organization a pretty powerful player in the supply and demand equation.

You could use some discretion to make sure each of the 4 regional conferences have a competitive balance, enough solid markets, and enough bigger G5 names to keep TV happy.
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2014 11:55 AM by Attackcoog.)
01-28-2014 11:52 AM
Cnelson203 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall; WVU
I actually think this is a smart idea. More regionally based conferences, where the SBC and CUSA aren't stepping all over themselves in the south, in particular, makes a great deal of sense. I doubt it will every happen, but I do think you have a winning idea. I'd be proud to play in the OP's
Southern Atlantic Conference, as outlined.

I'm idealistic enough to think if the G5 conferences would start cooperating with each other more, rather than constantly comparing sizes among each other, we'd all be better off. But, enough of that dreaming...
01-28-2014 11:55 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(01-28-2014 11:55 AM)Cnelson203 Wrote:  I actually think this is a smart idea. More regionally based conferences, where the SBC and CUSA aren't stepping all over themselves in the south, in particular, makes a great deal of sense. I doubt it will every happen, but I do think you have a winning idea. I'd be proud to play in the OP's
Southern Atlantic Conference, as outlined.

I'm idealistic enough to think if the G5 conferences would start cooperating with each other more, rather than constantly comparing sizes among each other, we'd all be better off. But, enough of that dreaming...

The problem is that there is going to be an issue over how the money is split and how exposure is divided. Good luck with solving that issue. There are reasonable ways to do it---but there is always going to be somebody who is not happy.
01-28-2014 11:57 AM
CW Fishman Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ragin Cajuns
Just to say the unsaid; if the Cajuns ever get out of the SBC, they will never be in a conference with ULM again. Before anyone uses the "S word" (separation) it is not about that. It is about what the ULM tried to do (unsuccessfully) about branding. We helped them get into the Belt, but that type of mistake will not be repeated.

(01-27-2014 10:24 PM)rknj8993 Wrote:  If the two conferences were smart and not constantly at each other's throats, they could realign to make much tighter geographical conferences. For example, have an eastern conference, maybe entitled The Southern Atlantic Conference, and then a western conference, maybe entitled The Deep South Conference.

Southern Atlantic:
Old Dominion
UNC-Charlotte
Appalachian State
Marshall
Western Kentucky
Middle Tennessee
Georgia State
Georgia Southern
Alabama-Birmingham
Troy
Florida International
Florida Atlantic
James Madison

Deep South:
South Alabama
Southern Mississippi
Louisiana
Louisiana-Monroe
Arkansas State
Arkansas-Little Rock
Rice
Texas-San Antonio
Texas State
Texas-Arlington
North Texas
Texas-El Paso
Missouri State
NMSU

Sorry, Idaho, but in this scenario, you get the boot.
01-28-2014 03:26 PM
Advertisement

BRtransplant Offline
1st String

I Root For: La Tech
(01-28-2014 11:52 AM)Buzz Lightyear Lite Wrote:  

Forgot La Tech

don't we all03-lmfao

CUSA didn't.
01-28-2014 03:41 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(01-28-2014 11:52 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

I don't think that's true. The regionals simply pay less. However, if the G5 organized and negotiated their TV contract as a group (like the old CFA did), then the exact conference footprint would be less important. In fact, a conclave of all the conferences could be held at which the schools were reorganized into 4 conferences on the basis of geography without any loss of value based on footprints (since it was negotiated as a 64 team conglomerate--the contract footprint is the entire nation). Plus negotiation as a group means that half of all college football inventory falls under the control of one entity. That makes such an organization a pretty powerful player in the supply and demand equation.

You could use some discretion to make sure each of the 4 regional conferences have a competitive balance, enough solid markets, and enough bigger G5 names to keep TV happy.

If the G5 had the sense to jointly negotiate following the old NCAA/CFA model you would see a deal something like this.

National TV partner(s) would follow a different structure of payment. There would be a base fee and everyone would get a piece of the base fee just for playing (let's say $2 million each).
Then there would be a per game fee and that fee would be based upon the network carrying the game, the day of the week and the time slot. So Fresno vs. Boise State on ESPN on Thursday night would pay more than Arkansas State vs. Troy on ESPNU the same night. The fee would be split between the conference two schools playing. So if Louisiana vs. Arkansas State is on ESPN2 again this year, all the fee goes to the Sun Belt. If ESPNU picks up AState vs. Utah State the fee splits between the Sun Belt and MWC.

I think it could revolutionize the way weeknight games are done. ESPN experimented with scheduling MAC weeknight twin-bills. They'd pick two games for say Tuesday night and then when it got close, whichever game was the most attractive would go to ESPN and the other would go to ESPNU. Imagine being able to do that with multiple conferences. Say the deal is with Fox and they partner with CBS Sports (much like Fox and ESPN partnered on the Pac-12). They put tab Georgia State vs. USA, NIU vs. Ball State and ODU vs. FIU for Thursday night. About two weeks out they make the call, one game goes to FS1, one goes to FS2, and the other goes to CBSS. It allows them to flex as the year goes on.

But a G5 partnership has even greater potential. Right now ESPN Regional owns or is in the process of negotiating for ownership of 11 bowl games. Most are G5 affiliated. What if you pulled the G5 affiliation from those games? Most are DOA with no one to play them. Bundle into the G5 deal the TV partner will carry and jointly with the G5 manage 15 bowl games spread across the country. Each league is guaranteed five placements (after the access bowl pick) available to the G5 Association bowls. The five commissioners and the TV folks sit down they sketch out the picks late in the season trying to create the best TV match-ups that also respect geography as much as possible. Then they fill in from the conferences based on the number of available teams.

You eliminate the concept that this bowl is MAC vs. Sun Belt and that bowl is Sun Belt vs. MAC instead you know this bowl is two teams from some mix of AAC, CUSA, MAC, MWC, Sun Belt. Get better match-ups that sell more tickets and in the long-run everyone wins.

Take the New Orleans Bowl this year. If those circumstances had come together one year later, that match-up doesn't happen yet it was great box office.
01-28-2014 04:35 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
Had a similar idea, except UT-A and UA-LR would be part of the WAC since they do not play football. Idaho..really is on borrowed time to be fully in the Big Sky.

CUSA
East or South
Southern Alabama
Southern Mississippi
LA Tech
Louisiana-Monroe
Louisiana
Arkansas State

West or SW
Texas-San Antonio
Texas State
North Texas
Rice
Texas-El Paso
NMSU

Sunbelt
North
Old Dominion
UNC-Charlotte
Appalachian State
Marshall
Western Kentucky
Middle Tennessee

South
Georgia State
Georgia Southern
Alabama-Birmingham
Troy
Florida International
Florida Atlantic

Regions are tighter and great rivals. Travel is good for fans who would like to see their team on the road.

Both conferences have their 12 team to hold CCGs and no more FCS teams are needed. Perhaps it can come to that eventually.
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2014 05:25 PM by MWC Tex.)
01-28-2014 05:10 PM
Fanof49ASU Offline
Heisman

I Root For: stAte
(01-28-2014 09:15 AM)Hardcore Wrote:  Forgot La Tech

Maybe...maybe not.
01-28-2014 05:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.