01-27-2014 01:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GATA Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: GA Southern
RE: CFN Rates New Coaches. Alarmingly confuses the GSU's
(01-27-2014 01:15 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  http://cfn.scout.com/2/1369864.html

Scroll down to the last team

You would think there would be consistency in the article...
Quote:Army
Out With the Old … Rich Ellerson
In With the New … Jeff Monken
He Got the Job Because … he not only has a proven track record as a head coach, but his success hinged on the same type of triple-option attack familiar to the cadets at West Point. Monken was 38-16 in his four seasons at Georgia Southern, including last November’s shocker over Florida in the Swamp.

Quote:[quote]
Georgia State
Out With the Old … Jeff Monken
In With the New … Willie Fritz
He Got the Job Because … he’s a veteran who’s won at various levels. Fritz has been a head coach every year since 1993, leading the programs at Blinn (Tex.) Junior College, Division II Central Missouri and Sam Houston State of the FCS. His pistol triple-option attack will make for a smooth transition for a program that traditionally puts such a heavy emphasis on the run.
His Top Priority Will Be To … bone up on the new region and the new league. Fritz is facing a steep learning curve, both in terms of the state of Georgia and the Sun Belt Conference. He’ll also have to embrace the reality of taking over a young program.

And people wonder why we'd rather brand ourselves as either Ga Sou or GS
01-27-2014 01:23 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(01-27-2014 01:23 PM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  
(01-27-2014 01:15 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  http://cfn.scout.com/2/1369864.html

Richard Cirminiello is an idiot! 03-puke

I laughed at the part where he called you guys winless.
01-27-2014 01:27 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
Not to be insulting but it's ignorance of programs like this that makes some of these schools, through no fault of their own, risky contributors to the future of the Sun Belt. I'm saying that in the sense of other smaller schools being thrown around.
01-27-2014 01:29 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
(01-27-2014 01:29 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  Not to be insulting but it's ignorance of programs like this that makes some of these schools, through no fault of their own, risky contributors to the future of the Sun Belt. I'm saying that in the sense of other smaller schools being thrown around.

Lazy incompetent sports writers will be lazy incompetent sports writers. Not much you can do about that.
01-27-2014 01:42 PM
Advertisement

panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
Weed in your mom's tight enclosed, low ceiling basement is never a good idea.
01-27-2014 02:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Complacent Cajun Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana
G-SU
GS-U

There, now kith.
01-27-2014 02:23 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-27-2014 01:42 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  
(01-27-2014 01:29 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  Not to be insulting but it's ignorance of programs like this that makes some of these schools, through no fault of their own, risky contributors to the future of the Sun Belt. I'm saying that in the sense of other smaller schools being thrown around.

Lazy incompetent sports writers will be lazy incompetent sports writers. Not much you can do about that.

Can you really say "lazy" with a straight face? How lazy is somebody who just throws in some stuff about those who are irrelevant to the NC race which is all the greater sports world cares about?

You can easily see this as a symptom of what it is, the distancing of the Sun Belt from relevancy to the highest level of the game.
01-27-2014 02:26 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
Its not even a GSU issue
01-27-2014 02:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-27-2014 02:30 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(01-27-2014 02:26 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  

Can you really say "lazy" with a straight face? How lazy is somebody who just throws in some stuff about those who are irrelevant to the NC race which is all the greater sports world cares about?

You can easily see this as a symptom of what it is, the distancing of the Sun Belt from relevancy to the highest level of the game.

But it has little to do with teams leaving. Its not like CUSA, MWC, MAC, or AAC are any closer. The fact of the matter is that no one cares enough to research the non AQ conferences.

Absolutely, that's my point.

This shows us how far the conference has to go. It should also remind us of where we are and where those we are elevating to our level really are. That's a serious consideration when it comes to advancing the conference by expansion.
01-27-2014 02:32 PM
Advertisement

Tuscon Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Georgia State
(01-27-2014 02:26 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  Can you really say "lazy" with a straight face? How lazy is somebody who just throws in some stuff about those who are irrelevant to the NC race which is all the greater sports world cares about?

What program in any of the G5 conferences is relevant in the NC race? It's lazy writing.
01-27-2014 02:33 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(01-27-2014 02:32 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  

But it has little to do with teams leaving. Its not like CUSA, MWC, MAC, or AAC are any closer. The fact of the matter is that no one cares enough to research the non AQ conferences.

This shows us how far the conference has to go. It should also remind us of where we are and where those we are elevating to our level really are. That's a serious consideration when it comes to advancing the conference by expansion.

The thing is...the reality is we don't compete with power leagues. Our goal is to only appear better than other non AQ leagues. Whether or not a sports writer mistakes Georgia Southern for Georgia State is irrelevant if both teams win games and help us keep our current NCAA Standing as the top non AQ league.
01-27-2014 02:35 PM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU
What's in a name? we all know a name doesn't mean anything...

it's what you do on the field!

BTW GSU(G-ST) that was a great win you had over UF

PERCEPTION

BTW FAU got the same treatment from this writer "Partridge needs to guide FAU back to where it was when Mario Cristobal had the school"

just lazy writing/fact checking
01-27-2014 02:58 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
Re: RE: CFN Rates New Coaches. Alarmingly confuses the GSU's
(01-27-2014 02:35 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(01-27-2014 02:32 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  
(01-27-2014 01:42 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  Lazy incompetent sports writers will be lazy incompetent sports writers. Not much you can do about that.

The thing is...the reality is we don't compete with power leagues. Our goal is to only appear better than other non AQ leagues. Whether or not a sports writer mistakes Georgia Southern for Georgia State is irrelevant if both teams win games and help us keep our current NCAA Standing as the top non AQ league.

It's not like calculus. You just have to do a Wikipedia search or look at the ESPN website. Not even real journalistic "research".

The guy and his editor should be fired and replaced with an intern who cares more.
01-27-2014 03:03 PM
JoeJag Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
(01-27-2014 01:23 PM)GATA Wrote:  [quote='chiefsfan' pid='10348363' dateline='1390846524']
http://cfn.scout.com/2/1369864.html

You would think there would be consistency in the article...
Quote:Army
Out With the Old … Rich Ellerson
In With the New … Jeff Monken
He Got the Job Because … he not only has a proven track record as a head coach, but his success hinged on the same type of triple-option attack familiar to the cadets at West Point. Monken was 38-16 in his four seasons at Georgia Southern, including last November’s shocker over Florida in the Swamp.

Quote:[quote]
Georgia State
Out With the Old … Jeff Monken
In With the New … Willie Fritz
He Got the Job Because … he’s a veteran who’s won at various levels. Fritz has been a head coach every year since 1993, leading the programs at Blinn (Tex.) Junior College, Division II Central Missouri and Sam Houston State of the FCS. His pistol triple-option attack will make for a smooth transition for a program that traditionally puts such a heavy emphasis on the run.
His Top Priority Will Be To … bone up on the new region and the new league. Fritz is facing a steep learning curve, both in terms of the state of Georgia and the Sun Belt Conference. He’ll also have to embrace the reality of taking over a young program.

And people wonder why we'd rather brand ourselves as either Ga Sou or GS
[/quote]

The University of Southern Mississippi was known as Mississippi Southern College until 1962 and at that time they acquired university status and the name changed to the University of Southern Mississippi which it is called today. With that being said, if Georgia Southern switched their name around to University of Southern Georgia it could be referred to as Southern Georgia, USG or simply, "Southern Jawga". Problem solved.
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2014 03:36 PM by JoeJag.)
01-27-2014 03:17 PM
Advertisement

Pounce FTW Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU - MU - AU
(01-27-2014 03:17 PM)JoeJag Wrote:  The University of Southern Mississippi was know as Mississippi Southern College until 1962 and at that time they acquired university status and the name changed to the University of Southern Mississippi which it is called today. With being said, if Georgia Southern switched their name around to University of Southern Georgia it could be referred to as Southern Georgia, USG or simply, "Southern Jawga". Problem solved.

With our board, they'd end up being called Georgia Regents University II or something.
01-27-2014 03:29 PM
NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

I Root For: Ga Southern
I sent the writer a nice email. He wrote back immediately, and apologized, and said he would take care of it.
01-27-2014 05:08 PM
cmaxwellgsu Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Ga Southern
He did more than confuse us, he flat out merged us. How the hell do you manage to combine our transition from the flexbone to the pistol and State's record last year??
01-27-2014 05:30 PM
GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
Who cares? Certainly not the publisher.

Ass family kid needs to lose his job.
[Image: 5d8r.jpg]
01-27-2014 06:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.