Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Just another example demonstrating how the NFL is nothing but liberal garbage.
oklalittledixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Oklahoma
Just another example demonstrating how the NFL is nothing but liberal garbage.
Richard Sherman: 'Thug' is accepted way of calling someone N-word

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foot...one-n-word
01-22-2014 09:41 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
RE: Just another example demonstrating how the NFL is nothing but liberal garbage.
The thread-title would be just as relevant and accurate if the word "liberal" had been deleted from it.
01-22-2014 09:43 PM
dmacfour Offline
All American

I Root For: Idaho Vandals
RE: Just another example demonstrating how the NFL is nothing but liberal garbage.
(01-22-2014 09:41 PM)oklalittledixie Wrote:  Richard Sherman: 'Thug' is accepted way of calling someone N-word

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foot...one-n-word

The quality of your posts is spiraling down from the pathetic level they were already at.
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2014 10:16 PM by dmacfour.)
01-22-2014 10:16 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Good Guys
Yo, what a thug. Who'd post such a ratchet ass post? 03-lol
01-22-2014 10:23 PM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
Richard Sherman is his own man, not the NFL's. I wouldn't go as far as to what he said, but he has somewhat of a point.
01-22-2014 10:32 PM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

New Orleans Bowl
It seems pretty apparent that he is intelligent and a pretty decent human being. I can understand him being upset with being called that, and he's generally taken responsibility for not handling himself very well. That said, when you behave as he did, you've lost control of your public image to some degree and he just has to deal with it. Guys like Brian Bosworth have certainly brought that kind of label on themselves... Sherman may just be too young to appreciate that the same thing would happen absent racial undertones.

I didn't know much about Sherman prior to all of this, but I've been generally impressed with what I've heard about him and by him, and he's someone I want to watch for, and someone I'd want to play for my team. As it is, I'm a Bronco fan, so I'll hold off on being a fan of his for another couple of weeks at least.
01-22-2014 10:43 PM
Advertisement

Native Georgian Offline
Legend

(01-22-2014 10:32 PM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  Richard Sherman is his own man, not the NFL's.
Mostly, but not entirely true, IMHO.

The NFL has a myriad of ways to punish the public-expression (by players/coaches/admin/owners) of politically-incorrect thoughts/opinions. If Sherman has not received any of those punishments, I think it is legitimate to say that it's because the NFL doesn't have any problem with what he said. And if that's the case, then his post-game comments do reflect on the league overall, and not just him, personally.

Quote:I wouldn't go as far as to what he said, but he has somewhat of a point.
Sherman said a lot things and some of them made more sense than others. But the word "thug" does not indicate any kind of hostility to African-Americans, nor any kind of "racist" connotation. To claim otherwise is not to make "somewhat of a point", but merely to expose oneself as a paranoid fool. Having said that, my impression of Sherman is that he is not a thug, and is not thought of as such by other players and people involved in the NFL. As far as the post-game interview with Erin Andrews, I think he simply got carried away in an emotional moment, and that's understandable.
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2014 10:49 PM by Native Georgian.)
01-22-2014 10:46 PM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-22-2014 10:46 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
(01-22-2014 10:32 PM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  Richard Sherman is his own man, not the NFL's.
Mostly, but not entirely true, IMHO.

The NFL has a myriad of ways to punish the public-expression (by players/coaches/admin/owners) of politically-incorrect thoughts/opinions. If Sherman has not received any of those punishments, I think it is legitimate to say that it's because the NFL doesn't have any problem with what he said. And if that's the case, then his post-game comments do reflect on the league overall, and not just him, personally.

Quote:I wouldn't go as far as to what he said, but he has somewhat of a point.
Sherman said a lot things and some of them made more sense than others. But the word "thug" does not indicate any kind of hostility to African-Americans, nor any kind of "racist" connotation. To claim otherwise is not to make "somewhat of a point", but merely to expose oneself as a paranoid fool.

I can see how you can perceive it that way from where you're standing. I'll just say that if a Sweezy or Luke Willson did the same thing, the word thug would never be used to describe the action.

We bring two different perspectives into this.

The internet wasn't filled with people complaining about Riley Cooper being a thug. We didn't have a thread here saying that what Riley Cooper said was "An example demonstrating how the NFL is nothing but garbage." In fact, the thread here was all about defending what he said.
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2014 11:04 PM by nomad2u2001.)
01-22-2014 10:54 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

(01-22-2014 10:54 PM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  I'll just say that if a Sweezy or Luke Willson did the same thing, the word thug would never be used to describe the action.
03-no

I don't keep up with NFL like I used to, but I invite anyone to cite an example of a white player demonstrating thuggish behavior/speech and not being called on it.
01-22-2014 11:03 PM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-22-2014 11:03 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
(01-22-2014 10:54 PM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  I'll just say that if a Sweezy or Luke Willson did the same thing, the word thug would never be used to describe the action.
03-no

I don't keep up with NFL like I used to, but I invite anyone to cite an example of a white player demonstrating thuggish behavior/speech and not being called on it.

Riley Cooper. He got called out, but thug never came out of anyone's mouth.
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2014 11:05 PM by nomad2u2001.)
01-22-2014 11:04 PM
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
He let the trash talking get the better of him. No harm, let the man speak.
01-22-2014 11:16 PM
Advertisement

nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-22-2014 11:16 PM)SumOfAllFears Wrote:  He let the trash talking get the better of him. No harm, let the man speak.

It's happened to us all at some point. We're just lucky to avoid the cameras.
01-22-2014 11:17 PM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
In defense of Sherman...

Quote:"There was a hockey game where they didn't even play hockey! (Laughter from the media) They just threw the puck aside and started fighting. I saw that and said, 'Ah, man, I'm the thug? What's going on here?'"

Valid point here about this hypocrisy. An arena crowd cheers like maniacs when hockey players brawl and the media drinks it all in, but pile on a guy who called Crabtree a "sorry receiver" in a post-game interview following some prior trash talk between the two.

Sherman might've been a trash-talker, billigerant, or whatever, but the term "thug" is being used far too loosely here.

Now having said that, and I mentioned this elsewhere, the term "thug" got more popularized by rap in the 90s, not to mention Tupac proudly tattooing "thug life" across his chest. So it's rap that has helped foster this unfortunate 'thug=urban black' stereotype.
01-23-2014 09:24 AM
oklalittledixie Offline
Hall of Famer

The NFL paid him an extra 100k to make that rant knowing the media would jump all over it. They paid him another 50k to inject race into the matter knowing damn well guilty white liberals across the country would have full blown debates about how they can appear to be not racist. Presto. Instant controversy, instant ratings, raise the price of advertising dollars.

The NFL is moving in the direction of professional wrestling.
01-23-2014 09:40 AM
DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

I Root For: Southern Miss
(01-22-2014 09:43 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  The thread-title would be just as relevant and accurate if the word "liberal" had been deleted from it.

+1... don't forget, Dixie sees liberal bogeyman under his bed every night.

Quote:he NFL paid him an extra 100k to make that rant knowing the media would jump all over it. They paid him another 50k to inject race into the matter

SAY WHAT? Dixie, WTH are you talking about?
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2014 09:45 AM by DaSaintFan.)
01-23-2014 09:44 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
oklalittledixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-23-2014 09:44 AM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  
(01-22-2014 09:43 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  The thread-title would be just as relevant and accurate if the word "liberal" had been deleted from it.

Quote:he NFL paid him an extra 100k to make that rant knowing the media would jump all over it. They paid him another 50k to inject race into the matter

I think you know exactly what I am talking about. Many of our sporting venues are becoming more acting than reality. There are monetary and political reasons behind why that is happening.
01-23-2014 09:49 AM
Advertisement

DaSaintFan Offline

(01-23-2014 09:49 AM)oklalittledixie Wrote:  

I think you know exactly what I am talking about. Many of our sporting venues are becoming more acting than reality. There are monetary and political reasons behind why that is happening.

No, I have NO clue what you're talking about.. where did they give him 100K to make a post-game statement? Where'd they give him 50k for using the "N" word.

In otherwords, WTH are you talking about...
01-23-2014 09:55 AM
oklalittledixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-23-2014 09:55 AM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  
(01-23-2014 09:49 AM)oklalittledixie Wrote:  

No, I have NO clue what you're talking about.. where did they give him 100K to make a post-game statement? Where'd they give him 50k for using the "N" word.

In otherwords, WTH are you talking about...

You think that rant was real?
01-23-2014 09:57 AM
DaSaintFan Offline

(01-23-2014 09:57 AM)oklalittledixie Wrote:  You think that rant was real?

What does that have to do with anything... You wrote: And i quote..

Quote:The NFL paid him an extra 100k to make that rant
Quote:They paid him another 50k to inject race into the matter

Back up those two statements. Don't sidetrack, don't try to throw strawmen out there. Fine me proof of those two statements. (and until you do, I'm going to call them what I think they are... "idiotic statements").
01-23-2014 09:59 AM
oklalittledixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-23-2014 09:59 AM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  
(01-23-2014 09:57 AM)oklalittledixie Wrote:  You think that rant was real?

What does that have to do with anything... You wrote: And i quote..

Quote:The NFL paid him an extra 100k to make that rant
Quote:They paid him another 50k to inject race into the matter

Back up those two statements. Don't sidetrack, don't try to throw strawmen out there. Fine me proof of those two statements. (and until you do, I'm going to call them what I think they are... "idiotic statements").

I've told you three times now. That rant was fake. He was paid to do that.

There is nothing for you to dissect, so get off your high horse. I am saying it was a manufactured controversy.
01-23-2014 10:02 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.