Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New Convo
Bookmark and Share
OlDuke91 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: JMU
New Convo
I've been browsing the site for awhile now, and since the Carr report I haven't heard any mention of traction on the new Convo (which the report strongly recommended). Any news (real or imagined)?
01-22-2014 05:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

brizzock Offline
Galactic Overlord

New Convo
If I was a betting man, I'd assume that the convo discussion will be a strong part of the upcoming push for athletic donations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
01-22-2014 05:09 PM
bridgeforthduke Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison
RE: New Convo
Quote:Convocation Center Project (#17963) – Construction of a new convocation center to replace the
current facility which was originally built in the late 1970’s as a physical education and recreation facility and lacks occupant capacity space, modern heating, ventilation, air conditioning and full handicap accessibility. Modernization is not an option due to structural, architectural and infrastructure limitations. The new facility will provide a sports and event venue which includes general seating for 8,500, suites, multipurpose room, concessions, merchandising and capacity for graduation, and special events. The current starting date for construction has not been determined.

Taken from the six year plan. That's about as much information we have so far. I hope that they announce plans to build a convo this year with construction starting sometime next year.
01-22-2014 05:22 PM
JMU Online
All American

The recent survey Alger sent out regarding university priorities had a question about the new convo.
01-22-2014 05:29 PM
OlDuke91 Offline
Water Engineer

(01-22-2014 05:22 PM)bridgeforthduke Wrote:  
Quote:Convocation Center Project (#17963) – Construction of a new convocation center to replace the
current facility which was originally built in the late 1970’s as a physical education and recreation facility and lacks occupant capacity space, modern heating, ventilation, air conditioning and full handicap accessibility. Modernization is not an option due to structural, architectural and infrastructure limitations. The new facility will provide a sports and event venue which includes general seating for 8,500, suites, multipurpose room, concessions, merchandising and capacity for graduation, and special events. The current starting date for construction has not been determined.

Taken from the six year plan. That's about as much information we have so far. I hope that they announce plans to build a convo this year with construction starting sometime next year.

Makes sense since they've already announced the UREC expansion which was also included in the six-year plan.
01-22-2014 05:32 PM
jmu98 Offline
All American

The new Convo is definitely coming, it is just a matter of when and where. Beyond dollars, one of the biggest hold ups now is deciding exactly where it will be located.
01-22-2014 05:35 PM
Advertisement

JMUsince89 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU Dukes
lots of thing have to be done before they even start the new Convo, but infrastructure is being planned now. with the URec expansion that takes a lot of steam electric and Telecom stuff out of the picture and has to be rerun for the new conve that is in the planning stages right now.
01-22-2014 05:37 PM
bridgeforthduke Offline
All American

(01-22-2014 05:35 PM)jmu98 Wrote:  The new Convo is definitely coming, it is just a matter of when and where. Beyond dollars, one of the biggest hold ups now is deciding exactly where it will be located.

Didn't they already decide that it will be on the old softball field? Have you heard that that may not be the case anymore?
01-22-2014 05:52 PM
OlDuke91 Offline
Water Engineer

(01-22-2014 05:52 PM)bridgeforthduke Wrote:  
(01-22-2014 05:35 PM)jmu98 Wrote:  The new Convo is definitely coming, it is just a matter of when and where. Beyond dollars, one of the biggest hold ups now is deciding exactly where it will be located.

Didn't they already decide that it will be on the old softball field? Have you heard that that may not be the case anymore?

That's what I remember from the Master Plan. They're been buying up most of the properties on Locust Hill and Hickory Hill Roads, so maybe they're reconsidering that decision.
01-22-2014 05:57 PM
jmu98 Offline
All American

There haves been discussions regarding alternate locations. A lot of it depends on ultimate size and other factors.
01-22-2014 06:00 PM
DooX Offline
1st String

I have heard nothing of real significance will happen on the new convo until there is quite a bit of money raised (the number $15m sticks out in my mind). I think they are currently going after larger private donors/businesses right now but there may be a larger campaign at some point.

I was told this is a conscious shift in the way big ticket items are going to be handled. Rather than going forward with a project and working out the money later, they want there to be 'cash in the bank' ahead of new initiatives. It's more fiscally responsible and demonstrates whether the JMU community will put their money where their mouth is on the items they are interested in.
01-22-2014 07:16 PM
Advertisement

JMaddy Offline
All American

Hopefully we'll get something on the order of a JPJ Jr. out of this. JPJ helped UVA get back to a top flight program, that's what it will do for us as well.
01-22-2014 07:20 PM
RootinFerDukes Offline
1st String

(01-22-2014 07:20 PM)JMaddy Wrote:  Hopefully we'll get something on the order of a JPJ Jr. out of this. JPJ helped UVA get back to a top flight program, that's what it will do for us as well.

Well that and this guy named Tony Bennett
01-22-2014 07:44 PM
jmutoml757 Offline
All American

I Root For: jmu
(01-22-2014 07:44 PM)RootinFerDukes Wrote:  
(01-22-2014 07:20 PM)JMaddy Wrote:  Hopefully we'll get something on the order of a JPJ Jr. out of this. JPJ helped UVA get back to a top flight program, that's what it will do for us as well.

Well played reply.04-bow
01-22-2014 07:46 PM
RootinFerDukes Offline
1st String

(01-22-2014 07:46 PM)jmutoml757 Wrote:  

Well played reply.04-bow

haha I didnt mean it in a bad way, just that Bennett has brought a philosophy to them that works
01-22-2014 07:48 PM
jmutoml757 Offline
All American

I Root For: jmu
(01-22-2014 07:48 PM)RootinFerDukes Wrote:  
(01-22-2014 07:46 PM)jmutoml757 Wrote:  

Well played reply.04-bow

haha I didnt mean it in a bad way, just that Bennett has brought a philosophy to them that works

No. I get it. I didn't take it as negative. Truth is truth though.
01-22-2014 07:50 PM
Advertisement

HooDukeVooDuke Offline
Water Engineer

The numbers that I remember for the New Convo are ...

$88 million for Convo + Parking (I think)

Need to raise $15 million from donors which leaves $73 million for the student fees. Using the $45 million bond for Bridgeforth as a model, this will add $5.5 million per year in debt service = ~$275/student per year. Alger may want more money from donors to soften the blow to students, but we've never had any issues increasing student fees in the past.

I'm pretty sure King is behind the new Convo 100% since he specifically noted it as a needed improvement when Bourne was reviewing the Carr report with the BOV.

Personally, I would start by spending money on coaches before facilities, but that has not been the JMU way. We seem to believe in the, "If you build it, wins will come" philosophy. It worked for Kevin Costner, but not for Mickey Matthews
01-22-2014 09:28 PM
rufus Offline
Special Teams

(01-22-2014 09:28 PM)HooDukeVooDuke Wrote:  The numbers that I remember for the New Convo are ...

$88 million for Convo + Parking (I think)

Need to raise $15 million from donors which leaves $73 million for the student fees. Using the $45 million bond for Bridgeforth as a model, this will add $5.5 million per year in debt service = ~$275/student per year. Alger may want more money from donors to soften the blow to students, but we've never had any issues increasing student fees in the past.

To be clear, the remaining $73 million will not all come from student fees. After raising the initial $15 million and starting construction, JMU will continue to seek additional private contributions. Even after construction is complete, the debt service will be funded through a combination of student fees, Convo ticket revenues, and other athletic department revenues.
01-22-2014 10:16 PM
Deez Nuts Offline
Moderator. Go Dukes!

I Root For: the Dukes
I was really impressed with Reed Arena in College Station over the last week. I didn't get to tour the guts of the facility - just seeing the playing arena - but from the viewer perspective it was a really nice place with decent sight lines where I was, great media/scoreboard/ribbons around the upper/lower levels, great concourses, separate practice facilities, and when the crowd got going it was darn loud in there. 13K may be a little oversize for what we need, and I didn't notice any club or suites, but definitely some great game aspects from that venue I hope Mr. Bourne took from the trip.
03-27-2014 08:02 AM
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

Re: New Convo
Just went in Rupp arena today and their seating is STEEP. Especially in the upper deck.
The area within the 4 walls is actually surprisingly small, but they fit 23,000 in there for a raucous environment.
If they had suites it would be a perfect model for JMU to build at 40% scale.

The new convo can be great with a decent architect.
03-27-2014 11:30 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.