Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Cajuns - Hilltoppers for the last time in Lafayette Saturday
Bookmark and Share
CajunAmos Offline
All American

I Root For: Cajuns
Cajuns - Hilltoppers for the last time in Lafayette Saturday
I have to say there's not a team in the conference (yes, including UL-M) which I love to hate more than Western Kentucky in basketball. That being the case, I find myself sorry to say that Saturday may be the last time the Hilltopper's visit the confines of the Cajundome. Jay Walker was speaking on the radio about how many close games were played in the series over the years. I hope Saturdays ESPN2 televised game is another great one with the Cajun's winning (obviously), but that all the players play their best and stay healthy, with the game being memorable for all.

Dance, thugs, dance (sorry, I couldn't resist)
01-21-2014 04:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CajunExpress Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana
RE: Cajuns - Hilltoppers for the last time in Lafayette Saturday
I think we are going to have about six thousand extra players on the court. LOl

SBC rules killing angst in visiting teams, all in a comfort zone.
01-21-2014 05:25 PM
mathenis89 Offline
Sucks at NCAA Football 14

I Root For: WKU, Miami, OSU
I highly doubt it will be the last time we play.
01-21-2014 06:09 PM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU
The average score in the last 39 games vs ULL 78 to 75

While games are usually close Western usually comes out the winner 66% of the time

Hopefully this won't be my last trip to Lafayette
01-21-2014 06:56 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(01-21-2014 05:25 PM)CajunExpress Wrote:  I think we are going to have about six thousand extra players on the court. LOl

SBC rules killing angst in visiting teams, all in a comfort zone.

I thought ASU had the most archaic policies involving treatment of visiting teams?
01-21-2014 07:32 PM
WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

Wonder if you guys will play with 6 again?
01-21-2014 08:44 PM
Advertisement

CrazyCajun Offline
All American

(01-21-2014 06:09 PM)mathenis89 Wrote:  I highly doubt it will be the last time we play.

That is not what Marlin said today at the press conference. He stated that the current coach expressed no desire to play the Cajuns in a out of conference game anytime soon. That is pretty much what UNT has stated as well,
01-21-2014 11:27 PM
Fireball Topper Offline
Water Engineer

(01-21-2014 11:27 PM)CrazyCajun Wrote:  
(01-21-2014 06:09 PM)mathenis89 Wrote:  I highly doubt it will be the last time we play.

That is not what Marlin said today at the press conference. He stated that the current coach expressed no desire to play the Cajuns in a out of conference game anytime soon. That is pretty much what UNT has stated as well,

Why would Louisiana's coach be talking about future playing dates with WKU when you play Georgia State on Thursday? I'd like to see a transcript of the press conference to see if he really said that.
01-22-2014 09:38 AM
CajunExpress Offline
1st String

(01-22-2014 09:38 AM)Fireball Topper Wrote:  

Why would Louisiana's coach be talking about future playing dates with WKU when you play Georgia State on Thursday? I'd like to see a transcript of the press conference to see if he really said that.

Well it IS a weekly press conference, it usually includes comments, and questions about the prior week, and upcoming teams. So it is highly likely in drumming up support for the games WKU would be mentioned, and probably their desire to not play again soon was an answer as to would the series continue. The N Texas comment was probably not part of the presser, but Crazy can answer that for himself.
01-22-2014 09:52 AM
CajunExpress Offline
1st String

(01-21-2014 08:44 PM)WKUFan518 Wrote:  Wonder if you guys will play with 6 again?

Only if we are allowed to. I know technically it was a technical foul if noticed, but if noticed he would not have been allowed on the court, and in addition had nothing to do with the play and your loss.

The sixth man was not being guarded, not in the general area of the other players. You got beat by a great move by a 17 year old true freshman who still does it and was guarded to the extent your could. Now he continues to do it only a couple of notches up the talent ladder to the rest of the world.
01-22-2014 09:57 AM
Fireball Topper Offline
Water Engineer

(01-22-2014 09:52 AM)CajunExpress Wrote:  

Well it IS a weekly press conference, it usually includes comments, and questions about the prior week, and upcoming teams. So it is highly likely in drumming up support for the games WKU would be mentioned, and probably their desire to not play again soon was an answer as to would the series continue. The N Texas comment was probably not part of the presser, but Crazy can answer that for himself.

Thanks for pointing out that it was a weekly press conference. I wasn't quite sure how those worked....

Regardless, sounds like sour grapes to me, and I highly doubt our coach would flat out say he didn't want to play UL ever again. Prove it to me and I'll shut up.
01-22-2014 10:18 AM
Advertisement

CajunExpress Offline
1st String

(01-22-2014 10:18 AM)Fireball Topper Wrote:  

Thanks for pointing out that it was a weekly press conference. I wasn't quite sure how those worked....

Regardless, sounds like sour grapes to me, and I highly doubt our coach would flat out say he didn't want to play UL ever again. Prove it to me and I'll shut up.

Don't need to, because you speak in a hyperbole. Crazy did not say he did not want to play ever again, only that the current coach expressed to Marlin he has no plans to play an OC game with the Cajuns anytime soon. Plans, desires, wishes all to me express totally different things.
01-22-2014 10:35 AM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

(01-22-2014 09:57 AM)CajunExpress Wrote:  
(01-21-2014 08:44 PM)WKUFan518 Wrote:  Wonder if you guys will play with 6 again?

Only if we are allowed to. I know technically it was a technical foul if noticed, but if noticed he would not have been allowed on the court, and in addition had nothing to do with the play and your loss.

The sixth man was not being guarded, not in the general area of the other players. You got beat by a great move by a 17 year old true freshman who still does it and was guarded to the extent your could. Now he continues to do it only a couple of notches up the talent ladder to the rest of the world.

I will take that loss and gladly accept it since it led to a greater good but you are crazy if you think just because a player wasn't guarded it had nothing to do with the play.

It opened space and you can see from the video of that play the WKU's players hedging on the play. Payton is a very good player and he might very well have made the shot with 5 players on the court.

But with the WKU players hedging to cover space it took away any chance to double team and stop the penetration to the goal.

But thanks for getting away with it! that was the best non call in the history of WKU basketball
01-22-2014 03:16 PM
CrazyCajun Offline
All American

Because he was asked the question at the press conference. You can watch the video of the press conference on UL's YouTube.
01-22-2014 03:41 PM
CrazyCajun Offline
All American

(01-22-2014 10:18 AM)Fireball Topper Wrote:  

No, it sounds like a direct answer. He doesn't need to prove anything to you about conversations he had about future scheduling.
01-22-2014 03:43 PM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

Western and UL-L has been rivals since UL-L first entered the conference so it's very easy to see someone ask that question. Actually I would expect it. As far as the answer, well I expect that also, for the near future but not forever.
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2014 04:00 PM by WKUYG.)
01-22-2014 03:59 PM
Advertisement

CajunExpress Offline
1st String

(01-22-2014 03:59 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  Western and UL-L has been rivals since UL-L first entered the conference so it's very easy to see someone ask that question. Actually I would expect it. As far as the answer, well I expect that also, for the near future but not forever.

We did not enter the conference. The Cajuns were a founding member of the vibrant America South that took over a dying SBC by merger, then for reasons of a longer and richer history took the SBC records.
01-22-2014 04:06 PM
dahbeed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: wku toppahs!!!
(01-22-2014 03:16 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  
(01-22-2014 09:57 AM)CajunExpress Wrote:  

I will take that loss and gladly accept it since it led to a greater good but you are crazy if you think just because a player wasn't guarded it had nothing to do with the play.

It opened space and you can see from the video of that play the WKU's players hedging on the play. Payton is a very good player and he might very well have made the shot with 5 players on the court.

But with the WKU players hedging to cover space it took away any chance to double team and stop the penetration to the goal.

But thanks for getting away with it! that was the best non call in the history of WKU basketball

the greatest thing about that game......it was the last game ken pol pot the dummy mcdonald coached on the hill.

some....no...many connected the 6 on 5 loss caused the firing. in actuality it had little to nothing to do with it.

that game had an announced attendance of ~2100 iirc. i may be way off but i thought it was over 2k. i'd guess there weren't more than 1500 people there at best.

this after they had promoted $1 tickets all week long at local minit marts. i was told they only sold a little over 100 of those dolla bill tix. western was hemorrhaging fans at the time. coupled with all of the dummy's other issues and he was gone.
01-22-2014 04:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

But I think he drags on till the end of the season with a win or at the very least 5 or 6 more games and that would have changed Western's recent history (most likely future also) as we know it.

so it was the best loss that I can remember and I hate losing.
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2014 04:31 PM by WKUYG.)
01-22-2014 04:30 PM
dahbeed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: wku toppahs!!!
(01-22-2014 04:30 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  But I think he drags on till the end of the season with a win or at the very least 5 or 6 more games and that would have changed Western's recent history (most likely future also) as we know it.

so it was the best loss that I can remember and I hate losing.

maybe it was the straw that broke the camel's back but there were so many issues and it appeared to be the least attended game that year with no promise of attendance bouncing back.

i hate losing too but it was definitely for the best in the long run.
01-22-2014 04:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.