Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
CFN Preseason 60-119/Big East plus ECU, UCF & Memphis
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
CFN Preseason 60-119/Big East plus ECU, UCF & Memphis
They are doing their Preseason Countdown. They are now down to 59. Here is the Big East schools plus the rankings for our usual C-USA Lurkers, wannabe Big East school fans.

79. Cincinnati
Predicted Finish
: 4-8 2005 Predicted Finish: 3-8 2005 Record: 4-7
Quarterback Dustin Grutza has a year of experience and has decent weapons around him to work with. Doug Jones is one of the Big East's top tight ends, there are several experience backs to take the heat off, and receiver Earnest Jackson is a rising star. However, it all hinges on a line that has to rebuild after an awful 2005. The defense, head coach Mark Dantonio's specialty, should be far better with a strong back seven and a young line that should be good enough to dominate by next season. The linebacking corps of Corey Smith and Anthony Williams on the outside and Kevin McCullough in the middle should shine, while corner Mike Mickens and free safety Haruki Nakamura are strong enough to grow into All-Big East performers.
Relative Strengths: linebackers, secondary Relative Weaknesses: offensive line, special teams

67. Syracuse Syracuse Preview
Predicted Finish
: 3-9 2005 Predicted Finish: 5-6 2005 Record: 1-10
Job one has to be to figure out how to generate more points. Quarterback Perry Patterson has been around long enough to be more of a playmaker and more of a consistent leader; he has to make everyone around him better. Despite the loss of Damien Rhodes, the backfield should grow into a strength if Curtis Brinkley and Kareem Jones can break out. The receiving corps has great players like Lavar Lobdell and Taj Smith ready to push the starters, and the line has four rising sophomores that'll have to take their lumps before possibly forming the strength of the team in 2007. The defense has to rock right away even with only four returning starters.
Relative Strengths: special teams, secondary Relative Weaknesses: running back, quarterback

60. Rutgers Rutgers Preview
Predicted Finish
: 6-6 2005 Predicted Finish: 5-6 2005 Record: 7-4
The offense has a great pair of backs in Brian Leonard and Ray Rice, and tight end Clark Harris could be one of the league's best pro prospects, and now the passing game needs a little work with new starting quarterback Mike Teel, or Jabu Lovelace, needing keep the offense moving. The big issue is the depth. This coaching staff has never been afraid to play true freshmen, and it'll have to rely on this year's class to come through in a big way if injuries strike. Linebacker will be a big, big problem if the front three go down.
Relative Strengths: running back, special teams Relative Weaknesses: linebacker, defensive line

C-USA School Fans that have interest in the Big East

87. Memphis
Predicted Finish
: 6-6 2005 Predicted Finish: 6-5 2005 Record: 7-5
A fourth straight bowl trip is a lock and there's nothing the team can't handle at this point, so that means there are big expectations. Memphis doesn't want to be one of those programs that got hot and then hit a plateau, it needs to show that the team was more than just DeAngelo Williams and show that this is a burgeoning power that's a few steps away from being something special. That step should be taken this year. All the QBs have big arms and are great at throwing the deep ball, so the attack should be more explosive with the tall, fast receiving corps ready to put up bigger numbers. All five starters return to the offensive line that will pave the way for a good season for shifty back Joseph Doss, who'll pick up the slack with Williams gone. The defense won't be a rock, but five starters return to the secondary and there are good athletes up front.
Relative Strengths: offensive line, running backs Relative Weaknesses: defensive line, linebackers

81. UCF UCF Preview
Predicted Finish
: 6-6 2005 Predicted Finish: 1-10 2005 Record: 8-5
UCF isn't a lock to win anything even with 19 starters returning. All the fantastic looking young players in the secondary got torched last year and must prove they can be consistent. All five starters return to the offensive line, but that group couldn't stop anyone's pass rush. And then there's the question of wins; did UCF actually beat anyone of note last year? Who cares? After two straight losing seasons and a wildly disappointing four-year stint in the MAC, there's no arguing against the school's best season since 1998. Now the question becomes whether or not the team hit a ceiling or if the program is about to enter the stratosphere. The coaching, the recruiting base, and the potential is there for a bright future. If last year was any indication, the future might be now.
Relative Strengths: running backs, secondary Relative Weaknesses: defensive line, receivers

72. East Carolina East Carolina Preview
Predicted Finish
: 6-6 2005 Predicted Finish: 2-9 2005 Record: 5-6
If top receiver Aundrae Allison and running back Chris Johnson return healthy after missing spring ball with injuries, they'll combine with quarterback James Pinkney to form one of Conference USA?s best offenses. The offensive line has some patching up to do, but it's expected to be fine. The defense needs to be better against the run after getting steamrolled over last season, but there's enough size up front and experience in the front four to hope for an improvement. The secondary should be excellent with several good veterans returning from one of the league's best pass defenses. Remember, it wasn't all that long ago when this was one of the best programs in Conference USA, and Skip Holtz appears to have it close to being there again.
Relative Strengths: receiver, secondary Relative Weaknesses: defensive line, offensive line

http://collegefootballnews.com/2006/Rank..._80_89.htm
07-19-2006 07:43 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Being picked 87th and being considered a bowl lock tells me how worthless the majority of bowl games are these days.
07-19-2006 07:46 AM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!

CFN has UC higher than I thought they would.

I think they, like the fans, are counting on an improved defense.
07-19-2006 07:46 AM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I Root For: Omar Sneed

L-yes Wrote:Being picked 87th and being considered a bowl lock tells me how worthless the majority of bowl games are these days.

It is what it is. Can you say Toronto and Birmingham?
07-19-2006 09:30 AM
kardphan Offline
1st String

I Root For:

3601 Wrote:
L-yes Wrote:Being picked 87th and being considered a bowl lock tells me how worthless the majority of bowl games are these days.

I sure can and it will be a cold day in hell before we stoop that low(the ville). I sure hope we don't see those two bowls anytime soon.
07-19-2006 09:43 AM
Advertisement

kardphan Offline
1st String

I Root For:

That only tells me how sorry the conference is. UK is consistently ranked around there and they have never been a lock.LOL No team(s) should ever be ranked that low and be considered a lock for anything. Next thing you know they will be adding more bowls and 4-8 and 5-7 teams will be eligible for bowls. That will be the day when UK, Baylor, Duke, and Vandy all start making bowls.
07-19-2006 09:47 AM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

kardphan Wrote:
3601 Wrote:

I sure can and it will be a cold day in hell before we stoop that low(the ville). I sure hope we don't see those two bowls anytime soon.

You're not going to go to the Gator Bowl every year. A trip to Birmingham and/or Toronto is inevitable.
07-19-2006 09:58 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First

3601 Wrote:
kardphan Wrote:
3601 Wrote:

You're not going to go to the Gator Bowl every year. A trip to Birmingham and/or Toronto is inevitable.

But so my friend. Worse case we end up in Houston IF we finish 2nd and out of the BCS and Notre Dame is out of the BCS as well. Navy goes to Charlotte and this year it is a guaranteed matchup between the Big East and Big XII.
07-19-2006 10:16 AM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats

They seem extremely generous with Syracuse (and us too, actually). I mean, picking 3-9 and a ranking of 67?
07-19-2006 10:20 AM
Advertisement

Jugnaut Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF

BJUnklFkr Wrote:They seem extremely generous with Syracuse (and us too, actually). I mean, picking 3-9 and a ranking of 67?

These rankings are crap. They had NIU in the 60s with a 9-3 record.
07-19-2006 10:48 AM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

These rankings are alway crap.
07-19-2006 10:51 AM
The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

You gotta love CFN. We return nearly everyone from a young team.......yet they rank us like they do.......and below ECU.

Just hilarious.
07-19-2006 11:09 AM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

You guys talk a lot of crap about ECU but i wouldnt be surprised if ECU beat you guys this year. They had 272 yds rushing, 270 passing against UCF last year and lost only because of those TO (-6 favoring UCF). Your team will not get as many breaks this year
07-19-2006 11:24 AM
Advertisement

The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Cubanbull Wrote:You guys talk a lot of crap about ECU but i wouldnt be surprised if ECU beat you guys this year. They had 272 yds rushing, 270 passing against UCF last year and lost only because of those TO (-6 favoring UCF). Your team will not get as many breaks this year

Well in that case, we only lost to USM becasue we turned the ball over 6 times.

01-wingedeagle

Turnovers are a part of football, idiot. And I'd watch your mouth until after you leave Orlando this year, that is.......if you have a team left to play.
07-19-2006 11:27 AM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats

The Knight Time Wrote:And I'd watch your mouth until after you leave Orlando this year...

You guys should have taken your own advice last year lmfao
07-19-2006 11:30 AM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

LOL way to go buddy call me names. Yes TO are part of the game but chances are that you are not going to be +12 like you were last year.
By the way did UCF outgained USM by over 100yds like ECU did you guys? Nope, get a grip your team was not as good as its record showed last year and if you looked at stats you would realize that.
LOL im glad you are counting on beating us this year,i love that about your fans talk a lot of crap and then dissapear after the game. 31-14 dont forget it 426 yds vs 253. LOL
07-19-2006 11:33 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

what a riot... a post about about a bunch of mediocre teams and what do we do ... pass out the smack... no one on this list needs to brag... including my school.
07-19-2006 11:38 AM
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS

Quote:[quote="L-yes"]Being picked 87th and being considered a bowl lock tells me how worthless the majority of bowl games are these days.

Tells me the writer isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. Unless there are at least 44 bowl games (and there aren't), a team ranked 87th should not be a "lock". By the way, LAST year was our rebuilding year (plus we had a school-record number of injuries). We have the best looking corps of tall, fast receivers coming in and QB that can put it on the numbers I have ever seen. The defense has better depth. I am expecting great things next Fall.

As for "worthless bowls", they are like food and sex. They are only important when you aren't getting any.
07-19-2006 12:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.