Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Charley Molnar Fired...
Bookmark and Share
Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Offline
All American

I Root For: Collar Popping
Charley Molnar Fired...
Very odd timing. UMass gets zero support, they fire their coach day after Christmas and right during the thick of recruiting all the while their own faculty are on a full-court press to drop them out of FBS.

http://www.umassathletics.com/sports/m-f...13aaa.html

Wow.
12-26-2013 11:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
RE: Charley Molnar Fired...
(12-26-2013 11:25 AM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  Very odd timing. UMass gets zero support, they fire their coach day after Christmas and right during the thick of recruiting all the while their own faculty are on a full-court press to drop them out of FBS.

Wow.

This is a coach who deserved to get canned...

12-26-2013 11:35 AM
El Grande Flippero Offline
1st String

I Root For: BG!! SU!!
The "boxing" stuff is stupid....but Randy Couture and jay Glazer charge $5000 a month for professional athletes to learn grappling and other "MMA" conditioning techniques. Molnar was doing that for free... :)
12-26-2013 12:03 PM
NIU05 Online
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
(12-26-2013 11:35 AM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  
(12-26-2013 11:25 AM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  Very odd timing. UMass gets zero support, they fire their coach day after Christmas and right during the thick of recruiting all the while their own faculty are on a full-court press to drop them out of FBS.

Wow.

This is a coach who deserved to get canned...

WOW...I did not realize that BS went on today. I went thru some crazy stuff back in the day, but that is OVER THE TOP. Put up with that **** and go 1-11, No thank you.
12-26-2013 12:05 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
Apparently, wrestling is still alive and well in Mass. PSU made the trip for nothing!
http://www.centredaily.com/2013/12/06/39...lions.html
12-26-2013 12:17 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

I Root For: NIU
There's a recruiting dead period until the National Championship.
12-26-2013 12:56 PM
Advertisement

Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UMass
Have no issues with CM, but view this as an exciting time. See the Carr Consulting has been hired and hope there is a short list for possible coaches. Several years ago everyone on our A list turned us down. Hoping for good things and feel bad for CM and hope he does fine.
(This post was last modified: 12-26-2013 01:06 PM by Steve1981.)
12-26-2013 12:58 PM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
12-26-2013 01:15 PM
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

Bob McGovern's article

Quote:The decision to fire Molnar was made late last week, according to Matt Vautour of the Daily Hampshire Gazette.

The university will commence its search for a new coach immediately "and will be aided by an advisory committee with membership from the Board of Trustees, the UMass Amherst Foundation board, faculty, students, alumni and senior administration. Carr Sports Consulting has been hired to assist in the search," according to the release.

“I fully support the decision regarding the head coaching position in football. Our program must foster a positive environment in which our student-athletes thrive both athletically and academically," UMass Chancellor Kumble Subbaswamy said, in a prepared statement. "Furthermore, it is critical that in addition to ensuring on-field success our next coach earns the support of alumni, faculty, students and fans. I am confident that UMass football will continue to improve and will excel at the FBS level.”

Molnar's firing was not a direct result of the team's 2-22 record in his two seasons, McCutcheon told Daniel Malone of MassLive.com, but rather the perception of the program. "The bottom line was we didn’t think the perception of the program was where we wanted it to be," McCutcheon said.

According to multiple sources, defensive coordinator Phil Elmassian and inside linebackers coach/special teams coordinator Ted Daisher were fired last Friday.

The remaining coaches on staff will be allowed to try to stay on with the new coach or have their contracts bought out, according to a source.
(This post was last modified: 12-26-2013 01:35 PM by Steve1981.)
12-26-2013 01:34 PM
Siborg Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bowling Green
Intersting they fired 2 defensive coaches last week. I thought the D was the strength of their team....I'm not saying the D was good, but relative to its O, it was pretty good. Of course, I only saw them in portions of 4-5 games and one complete game against BG so UMass followers would know better than I.
12-26-2013 01:43 PM
DrTorch Offline

Remind me again what how this circus benefits the MAC.
12-26-2013 01:54 PM
Advertisement

All American

(12-26-2013 01:54 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  Remind me again what how this circus benefits the MAC.

I thought you supported wrestling? They looked good at wrestling in that video.
12-26-2013 01:59 PM
All American

(12-26-2013 12:58 PM)Steve1981 Wrote:  Have no issues with CM, but view this as an exciting time. See the Carr Consulting has been hired and hope there is a short list for possible coaches. Several years ago everyone on our A list turned us down. Hoping for good things and feel bad for CM and hope he does fine.

Steve, whats your take on this. They should have did this a month ago so they didn't lose a leg up in recruiting and coaching search. Why now? What has changed over the last month?

12-26-2013 02:01 PM
DrTorch Offline

(12-26-2013 01:59 PM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  
(12-26-2013 01:54 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  Remind me again what how this circus benefits the MAC.

I thought you supported wrestling? They looked good at wrestling in that video.

They looked terrible at wrestling.

But since you brought it up, I saw this yesterday

nmr, but AMAZING. That's good wrestling.
(This post was last modified: 12-26-2013 02:07 PM by DrTorch.)
12-26-2013 02:06 PM
EmeryZach Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UMASS
Not surprised by this. There was a group of boosters and alumni who had been working very hard for the past year to get Charley fired. And from what I'm hearing he deserved it. The players seem very happy that he's gone. Lucky for us some big time donor is paying for the buy out.

Excited to see who we bring in.

Oh, and regarding the Deadspin article. The writer went to UNH. He responded to one of the commenters over on UMassHoops.com.

"PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:01 pm Post subject:

Just got an email back from Samer Kalaf (UNH Alum), the writer from the Deadspin article.
Quote:
I don't like UMass, but I'm not calling for the university to get rid of football or something. It's just going to take a lot of money to woo a notable coach (or less money with an obscure, talented coach) to start the fix."
(This post was last modified: 12-26-2013 03:27 PM by EmeryZach.)
12-26-2013 03:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jjmc85 Offline
Bench Warmer

First I want to say that I appreciate what Coach Molnar did. I believe he tried his best and there's nothing more you can ask. He was always very friendly to my family and I when I saw him. I liked him very much as a person. He had a rough deal. The University went cheap with the previous hire and it took an FCS power house and made them a crap CAA team in two years. Molnar had an uphill battle and it would not have been easy no matter who the coach was.

(12-26-2013 01:43 PM)Siborg Wrote:  Intersting they fired 2 defensive coaches last week. I thought the D was the strength of their team....I'm not saying the D was good, but relative to its O, it was pretty good. Of course, I only saw them in portions of 4-5 games and one complete game against BG so UMass followers would know better than I.

I agree that defense was the strength of the team, which to me was really puzzling as the head coach was an offensive coordinator.

I graduated in 2007. That fall, I used my student ID to get into all the games cause I was too cheap to buy tickets. The next fall, I bought tickets at a discount rate through our alumni association (It was $5 per game as opposed to something like $13 for season tix). The following year, 2009, I bought season tix to support the program. I've been watching since the upgrade was ever thought possible. I'm not one of the Johnny-Come-Lately's that ignored the team before the MAC days.

That being said, I didn't like a lot of what happened. We've ignored our great history, which includes Bowl Wins, Conference Championships and a National Championship. We changed our uniforms are relied on a black look that made us look like Northeastern 03-puke We gave up on the prostyle offense UMass ran so successfully for such a long time and forgot how to score. 03-puke I get the spread is a big part of the MAC, but it's not a big part of UMass football. It was really stupid in my opinion to think we could come in with a brand new offense without the players to run it and try to compete. I want very much for the new head coach to go back to the old days. I want to use a fullback. I want to win the battles on both sides of the lines. I want to see UMass blitz you off the bus, as UMass74's blog used to put it. Basically, I want to see the UMass of days of yore. I don't want UMass to evolve into a spread team. I want UMass to beat Spread teams with UMass football.

I was really worried when I saw the firing, because I don't want the University to be paying for 2 coaches (or is it 3? I'm not sure if Morris is still on the books). I feel a lot better knowing that someone is paying the buyout.

Bringing Coach Whipple back would be a dream come true. I'd also be very satisfied with Coach Brown. But please, do this right. Don't hire someone who has never called a down in their life to be head coach again. Hire someone with experience. Someone who can come in here and turn this ship around. UMass has so much potential. I've seen how good they can be with my own eyes. I know that we are a laughing stock in this conference right now, and even though I've never played a down in my life, that hurts me so much. I want very bad for my alma mater to show you all what we can do.
12-26-2013 03:32 PM
Advertisement

jjmc85 Offline
Bench Warmer

(12-26-2013 03:25 PM)EmeryZach Wrote:  Not surprised by this. There was a group of boosters and alumni who had been working very hard for the past year to get Charley fired. And from what I'm hearing he deserved it. The players seem very happy that he's gone. Lucky for us some big time donor is paying for the buy out.

Oh, and regarding the Deadspin article. The writer went to UNH. He responded to one of the commenters over on UMassHoops.com.

Just got an email back from Samer Kalaf (UNH Alum), the writer from the Deadspin article.
Quote:
I don't like UMass, but I'm not calling for the university to get rid of football or something. It's just going to take a lot of money to woo a notable coach (or less money with an obscure, talented coach) to start the fix."
Would you happen to know that commenter he responded to? 03-razz
12-26-2013 03:33 PM
All American

Jjmc85 - its McCutcheon's fault UMass abandoned the pro-style offense for the spread. Molnar had been running that before UMass and thats what he knew. This was likely discussed in the interview.

12-26-2013 03:37 PM
EmeryZach Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UMASS
(12-26-2013 03:33 PM)jjmc85 Wrote:  
(12-26-2013 03:25 PM)EmeryZach Wrote:  Not surprised by this. There was a group of boosters and alumni who had been working very hard for the past year to get Charley fired. And from what I'm hearing he deserved it. The players seem very happy that he's gone. Lucky for us some big time donor is paying for the buy out.

Quote:
Would you happen to know that commenter he responded to? 03-razz

Shhhhh.........03-shhhh
12-26-2013 03:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jjmc85 Offline
Bench Warmer

(12-26-2013 03:37 PM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  Jjmc85 - its McCutcheon's fault UMass abandoned the pro-style offense for the spread. Molnar had been running that before UMass and thats what he knew. This was likely discussed in the interview.

This is the first I've heard that. I assumed it was Molnar's idea as he discussed it passionately at events I was at.

I'm actually really shocked by that. Where did you hear that? If it's true, that's yet another strike against McCutcheon. If it is true, I want him gone ASAP.

EDIT- I think I read the original post wrong. I read it as "Molnar wanted to run the Pro-Style, but McCutcheon made him change." What it should be read as is that "McCutcheon knew Molnar read the spread and hired him anyway." If that's the case and I read it wrong, I knew it already. McCutcheon f'ed up big time with the last Hockey Coach hire. If he was also meddling with the football coaches and making them run offenses they weren't comfortable with, I would have launched a kickstarter to get him bought out.
(This post was last modified: 12-26-2013 04:03 PM by jjmc85.)
12-26-2013 03:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.