Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UTA football question
Bookmark and Share
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
Exclamation UTA football question
But I'm pretty sure this is not what you expect.

The Blue-Grey combine is being held at your campus. Has anyone noticed any buzz surrounding having some of the best high school football players on campus???

For those not in the know, the Blue-Grey East West All American Bowl is a high school all-star game being played at AT&T Stadium(Jerry's world) on Sunday.
12-20-2013 08:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

FoUTASportscaster Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTA
RE: UTA football question
Not really. Football in Jerry World does little for UTA. Some may have a different view, but I don't think there is much of a buzz about it on campus.
12-20-2013 08:13 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

From what I read it looked like they were doing practices at UTA, I may have been wrong about that.
12-20-2013 08:20 PM
Heisman

Could be. While Maverick Stadium is on campus, it is removed from the main part and any activity there will be largely unnoticed.
12-20-2013 08:22 PM
runamuck Offline
All American

I Root For: uta
(12-20-2013 08:22 PM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  Could be. While Maverick Stadium is on campus, it is removed from the main part and any activity there will be largely unnoticed.

if they are having a game like that here on sunday they will probably be missing some top level talent as texas high school playoffs have not finished.
12-21-2013 09:29 AM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
I have to question some of the talent that will be in this all star game. A kid from the high school that I went to has been selected to go and while he might have been a beast of a running qb and safety at the Texas 1a D2 level, I can't see how he could be among the best players in the nation, especially after his team won only 2 games this season.
12-21-2013 10:54 AM
Advertisement

Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

There is no question about it, they are having a game like this there.

http://bluegreyfootball.com/
12-21-2013 10:55 AM
FloridaJag Offline
All American

I Root For: USA, FSU, and UWF
Somebody please break out the Ouija Board so we can tell what the plans are for UTA Football.
12-23-2013 10:52 AM
UTArlingtonMaverick Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UT Arlington
I can save you the trouble. We are not starting down that path of insanity (speaking for us only). The University is not adding football. I have no inside knowledge, but I know.
12-23-2013 09:26 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
Well that settles that then. Moving right along...
12-23-2013 11:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
runamuck Offline
All American

(12-23-2013 11:28 PM)panama Wrote:  Well that settles that then. Moving right along...

I dont see it happening anytime soon. uta is not a sports oriented school and there has not been a great enough outcry to add football or even pull out all the stops to make the sports we have the best there is. a school with 34,000 students and 150,000 alumni could add football next season if there was a desire to do so. back when uta dropped football the main reason was said to be the loss of revenue. I remember some smu people saying it really didnt matter if their football program lost money, no self respecting university would NOT have a football team. the leaders at uta, faced with not such deep pockets have instead spent hundreds of millions on building state of the art additions to the campus. a great new planetarium, new housing and research labs and the 300 million college park area with housing and restaurants and a new 78 million dollar arena..uta is a really top flight university approaching tier one status. had we had football all this time, it probably would have been an underfunded after thought and not very competitive. when they do restart it, they will have a better chance to put forth a good product. I see the school trending that way ever so slowly with the hiring of an up and coming new AD and improving facilities. and lately, losing coaches have been replaced or at least feel the heat that they need to pick things up a notch. that has not been the case in the last 30 or more years. I may up my Maverick Club membership a level.
12-24-2013 09:12 AM
Advertisement

Heisman

You will have to forgive the last two posters. One is a perennial naysayer, the other can be quite a pessimist. I have detailed actions, quotes and trends from folks in the know and UTA is heading in that direction. It won't be quick but it will happen.
12-24-2013 09:24 AM
Louisianafanrcajun90 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UL
(12-23-2013 10:52 AM)FloridaJag Wrote:  Somebody please break out the Ouija Board so we can tell what the plans are for UTA Football.

They only draw a couple of thousand for basketball. Football would destroy their athletic program.
12-24-2013 09:34 AM
runamuck Offline
All American

(12-24-2013 09:24 AM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  You will have to forgive the last two posters. One is a perennial naysayer, the other can be quite a pessimist. I have detailed actions, quotes and trends from folks in the know and UTA is heading in that direction. It won't be quick but it will happen.

yes I am a pessimist. I graduated in '72. B.S Architecture. I have gone from owning seats at the stadium and flying the coach in my plane to meet recruits and their families and attending everything from swim meets to women's volleyball games to now the lowest level of membership. There are a fading group of us old supporters out there who would love to see us playing football again. I am certainly rooting for that to happen. many years ago when we were about to play smu in football, I hired the guy that towed banners over cowboy games to fly over dallas pulling a banner that said "go uta beat smu". I would be happy to someday support that sort of thing again.
12-24-2013 09:39 AM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(12-24-2013 09:34 AM)Louisianafanrcajun90 Wrote:  
(12-23-2013 10:52 AM)FloridaJag Wrote:  Somebody please break out the Ouija Board so we can tell what the plans are for UTA Football.

They only draw a couple of thousand for basketball. Football would destroy their athletic program.

Correct me if I am wrong, but they are still physically located IN Texas, right?
12-24-2013 09:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
runamuck Offline
All American

we draw small numbers because we dont have many big names coming in to play. the local fans and students have proven that they will come out for people they have heard of. we packed the arena for uta vs oklahoma and the baseball team has good crowds for home games against schools like a-m and ou and tcu and arkansas. fans here just arent interested in some of the schools in the belt and hardly any of them have local fanbase to draw from. I think we would have some good crowds for games against U-laf and stAte and txst. probably not so much for the rest. If we were in the c-usa with rice and utsa and untexas, those games would certainly draw well.
12-24-2013 09:48 AM
Advertisement

JoeJag Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(12-24-2013 09:48 AM)runamuck Wrote:  

we draw small numbers because we dont have many big names
coming in to play. the local fans and students have proven that they will come out for people they have heard of. we packed the arena for uta vs oklahoma and the baseball team has good crowds for home games against schools like a-m and ou and tcu and arkansas. fans here just arent interested in some of the schools in the belt and hardly any of them have local fanbase to draw from. I think we would have some good crowds for games against U-laf and stAte and txst. probably not so much for the rest. If we were in the c-usa with rice and utsa and untexas, those games would certainly draw well.

Yes, that's all well and good, but you aren't in "coosa". You're in the SBC, so stop whinning. If frogs had wings, the wouldn't bump their butts.
12-24-2013 10:13 AM
Heisman

(12-24-2013 09:46 AM)panama Wrote:  

Correct me if I am wrong, but they are still physically located IN Texas, right?

Don't feed the troll.

05-nono 03-troll
12-24-2013 02:20 PM
Heisman

FYI, you averaged 2,175 last year. We were at 1,968. We over 2,000 until we hosted a postseason game. The last time you hosted a postseason game was... huh...it was...

UTA both has more recently been in the postseason and NCAA tourney than you. Last postseason was last year, last NIT was the year before and last NCAA was 2008. Your last legit NCAA appearance was 2000. Unfortunately, you had to vacant 2004 and 2005 for being cheaters.

You may want to go ahead and buy more glass for your house at the rate you throw stones.
12-24-2013 02:31 PM
Louisianafanrcajun90 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UL
(12-24-2013 02:31 PM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  

FYI, you averaged 2,175 last year. We were at 1,968. We over 2,000 until we hosted a postseason game. The last time you hosted a postseason game was... huh...it was...

UTA both has more recently been in the postseason and NCAA tourney than you. Last postseason was last year, last NIT was the year before and last NCAA was 2008. Your last legit NCAA appearance was 2000. Unfortunately, you had to vacant 2004 and 2005 for being cheaters.

You may want to go ahead and buy more glass for your house at the rate you throw stones.

When we had fun basketball teams to watched we put 10,000 in the Cajundome. They haven't been much fun to watch in a long time. We've been busy building a good football team. UTA should throw all their money into making UTA Basketball top notch. You don't need a money sucking football wannabee team.
12-25-2013 12:24 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.