Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rivals Recruiting Rankings as of today.
Bookmark and Share
broncojohnny Offline
1st String

I Root For: WMU
Rivals Recruiting Rankings as of today.
My Bronco's are ranked 48th. Wholesale losse of commitments have yet to happen.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/westernmichigan/...6Diob6upB4
12-18-2013 11:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NIU05 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
RE: Rivals Recruiting Rankings as of today.
WMU has a histort of bring the prettiest girl to the prom, but not taking her home.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
12-18-2013 12:55 PM
RecoveringHillbilly Offline
1st String

I Root For: Buffalo, WVU
Rivals is usually the least reliable, and often miss commits. Trust others:

247sports.com rankings (CBS Sports)

ESPN Scorecard
12-18-2013 01:26 PM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
(12-18-2013 12:55 PM)NIU05 Wrote:  WMU has a histort of bring the prettiest girl to the prom, but not taking her home.

I don't think we've ever been within the Top 3 in recruit class rankings until this season.

Not that I put much stock in 'recruiting rankings' anyhow (I know the Jordan Lynch 2-star example, among many others), and like broncojohnny said, we've still got 1.5 months yet and defections to larger programs are likely in the cards.

But we don't have this history of "bringing the prettiest girl to the prom," not even close.
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2013 01:32 PM by Motown Bronco.)
12-18-2013 01:31 PM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
And per the usual Rivals is missing more than half of UB;s recruits...

Better to use 247

http://247sports.com/Season/2014-Footbal...amRankings
12-18-2013 02:09 PM
CMUprof Offline
1st String

I Root For: CMU
(12-18-2013 02:09 PM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  And per the usual Rivals is missing more than half of UB;s recruits...

Better to use 247

http://247sports.com/Season/2014-Footbal...amRankings

None are perfect. CMU has 8 commits according to 247 but 12 according to ESPN, Scout and Rivals. So ...
12-18-2013 02:28 PM
Advertisement

NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
Even if all the commits are there, they have recruiting rankings based on how many recruits, in part. Even if the star ratings were accurate, which is very questionable, the rankings wouldn't mean much.
12-18-2013 02:47 PM
Frozenbaugh Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ball State
I like that they have the teams in the Mid-America conference.
12-18-2013 10:14 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(12-18-2013 10:14 PM)Frozenbaugh Wrote:  I like that they have the teams in the Mid-America conference.

LOL, I didn't even notice that. If only the conference had been around for 60 years or something this wouldn't happen.....
12-19-2013 12:45 AM
El Grande Flippero Offline
1st String

I Root For: BG!! SU!!
BG will have a relatively small class...will be interesting to see how Babers hiring will impact ***/**** WR recruit Roger Lewis' decision. BG seems to be in the mix with Kentucky, Washington and other MAC schools. Right now, the focus is on OL/DL/DB. QB Cody Callaway is pretty well regarded and he just picked up a Rutgers offer, hopefully we can keep him on board.
12-19-2013 09:15 AM
Campbell4President Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo
WMU's class is really impressive...the funniest thing about this board is how quick it is to point out every year that recruiting doesn't matter when a team has a really good class like WMU this year. Recruiting matters a lot but isn't everything. Imagine what NIU would have been the last couple years if they hadn't recruited ** Jordan Lynch. Similarly, imagine what NIU with Lynch would have been if Jason Candle were their offensive coordinator. Recruiting is only half the battle but it's a huge part of the battle. Same with having the right coaches.
12-21-2013 03:29 AM
Advertisement

BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(12-21-2013 03:29 AM)Campbell4President Wrote:  ... the funniest thing about this board is how quick it is to point out every year that recruiting doesn't matter when a team has a really good class like WMU this year. Recruiting matters a lot but isn't everything.
There's the benefit to the discussion board of gross oversimplifications ~ since they are guaranteed to be wrong in some essential way, that's lots of traffic as people point out that they are wrong and argue over in what precise way they are wrong.

Obviously for every simple formula to winning, everybody can do that, and if that was enough, then everybody would win. So real world success always has to push out beyond the simple formulas.
12-21-2013 09:36 AM
1st String

BGSU has eight scholarship running backs on the roster. Six of them were rated *** by one of the services and the one was rated **** by one and a hair under **** by another. The 8th RB was a converted WR who was rated ** named Travis Greene.

Greene has run for 1500 yds and counting and made Phil Steele's All MAC 1st team. So while the star ratings are fun...they give us something to talk about from January to August...they aren't always a great predictor.
12-21-2013 09:42 AM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
Indeed. Recruiting matters a great deal. Good recruiting is absolutely vital. Recruiting ratings are barely worth the bandwidth they take up. Slap a meaningless number on them, then compare the numbers and pretend they mean something.
12-21-2013 10:21 AM
NIU05 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
A pro scout Gabriel (bears) was on the Score 670AM, he stated the college recruiting stars were laughable. The main purpose was to sell subscriptions. He mentioned the numerous 3* and no* star players in the NFL. Its an art not a science. There are certain coaches who can just spot talent and others need a stopwatch. Jimmy Johnson had the best eye for talent I have ever seen. When he was at Miami he landed the 1st pick in the draft Russell MAryland DT Chicago and Miami was his only offer. Brian Kelly ND/CMU terrific eye for talent. Bobby Bowden blind as a bat.
12-21-2013 12:43 PM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
There are many examples of a fringe three-stars suddenly becoming a highly-rated four-star because they got an offer from Texas or Notre Dame. It's laughable to put much stock into these rankings, especially since not many 'experts' at Rivals or Scout are dissecting MAC-level recruits (with some exceptions).
12-21-2013 01:16 PM
Advertisement

1st String

Mark Dantonio doesn't get the four and five start kids RichRod got and Hoke gets at Michigan...but he has a system and he knows what kind of kids will fit his system so he recruits those three and sometimes two star kids and uses them to drill Michigan like a Kardashian sister at the NBA all star game
12-21-2013 04:13 PM
huskie1stdown Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU
Good for WMU recruiting class. I don't think PJ can coach so it will not matter.
12-21-2013 11:08 PM
1st String

(12-21-2013 04:13 PM)El Grande Flippero Wrote:  Mark Dantonio doesn't get the four and five start kids RichRod got and Hoke gets at Michigan...but he has a system and he knows what kind of kids will fit his system so he recruits those three and sometimes two star kids and uses them to drill Michigan like a Kardashian sister at the NBA all star game

Very true but...03-lmfao
12-22-2013 03:23 AM
1st String

(12-21-2013 10:21 AM)axeme Wrote:  Indeed. Recruiting matters a great deal. Good recruiting is absolutely vital. Recruiting ratings are barely worth the bandwidth they take up. Slap a meaningless number on them, then compare the numbers and pretend they mean something.

That's the part I totally agree with. I know that there are instances where players were overlooked and performed very well in college such as Gradkowski, Lynch, Archer, etc. but I always believe that it's important to look at who else has offered the kid. Is he a 4* QB that only has an offer remaining from Illinois State vs. a 3* QB that has offers from Wisconsin, Ole Miss, Iowa, Virginia Tech, etc.?
12-22-2013 03:30 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.