Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Not surprising, but we never have a chance
Bookmark and Share
SkullyMaroo Offline

I Root For: South Alabama
Not surprising, but we never have a chance
There is an article on ESPN about strength of schedule being a huge factor next year and beyond once the committee is in place to pick the 4 playoff teams. I saw this quote:

"A lot of teams are going to be at the mercy of their strength of their conference."

In other words only SEC, ACC, PAC-12, BiG 12, and BIG 10 teams will be considered. Occasionally maybe an AAC team. I hate the idea of a committee choosing everything. I don't know why they don't use the BCS formula and take the top 4 teams regardless of conference. If 2 of those teams were in the SEC then who cares? The playoff should be for the 4 best teams. Under this model Boise State, Utah, and TCU would have made the playoffs as a non-AQ. Would the committee have voted them in? Sounds like they are already getting their excuse in order to exclude teams from the non-AQ leagues.
12-12-2013 09:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

trueeagle98 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GS Eagles
RE: Not surprising, but we never have a chance
I would prefer a system that weighs record and SOS heavily and uses the human poles as more filler. Then pick the top 4 (or hopefully eventually the top8) teams. This would still heavily favor the P5, but give a chance for teams in the G5. If a team plays 4-5 OOC games against top 25 opponents and goes undefeated then they probably have a good case to play for the national title. Just gotta hope their conference schedule doesn't pull them down too much. What I'd like to see eventually is all the FBS conference champions get a shot with maybe the P5 getting it's 2nd place team too. 1st round is G5 champ vs P5 2nd place. P5 1st place gets a by on the first round. Don't know if the numbers add up to do this, but it would be a great concept.
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2013 09:38 AM by trueeagle98.)
12-12-2013 09:37 AM
beefsiym Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: South Alabama
(12-12-2013 09:37 AM)trueeagle98 Wrote:  uses the human poles as more filler.

the mental image is incredibly disturbing
12-12-2013 01:19 PM
CatMom Online
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
I like the FCS model. It has gotten out of hand lately but it was ideal, to me, with 16. The 8 conference champions (of eligible conferences because all of them weren't eligible or chose to not participate) then a committee chose the next 8. Seeding comes after.

The FBS could go with the 10 conference champions and the committee chooses the other 6. That way there is no bias for the original 10 spots. It's not rocket science. What it is, is P5 bias. The G5 are unworthy of at least a shot.

Yes, there are times when teams tie for the CC (that have no conf champ game). It happened in the SLC. In that case the head to head winner gets the AQ. In 2005 we were co-champions but lost the head to head with Nicholls. We were then an at large but seeded 4th, due to our overall record.

How to do this equitably and fair is staring them right in the face but they are burying their heads in the sand.
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2013 02:05 PM by CatMom.)
12-12-2013 01:57 PM
The4thOption Offline
1st String

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
(12-12-2013 09:37 AM)trueeagle98 Wrote:  I would prefer a system that weighs record and SOS heavily and uses the human poles as more filler. Then pick the top 4 (or hopefully eventually the top8) teams. This would still heavily favor the P5, but give a chance for teams in the G5. If a team plays 4-5 OOC games against top 25 opponents and goes undefeated then they probably have a good case to play for the national title. Just gotta hope their conference schedule doesn't pull them down too much. What I'd like to see eventually is all the FBS conference champions get a shot with maybe the P5 getting it's 2nd place team too. 1st round is G5 champ vs P5 2nd place. P5 1st place gets a by on the first round. Don't know if the numbers add up to do this, but it would be a great concept.

Well, you would have 2 from each P5 and the champ from each G5 that would take you to 15 with room for an Indy or the "next top ranked team". It would be 16 with no byes.

I personally don't think that EVERY conference champ should get an auto bid. I think each P5 champ Should get in for every conference that has a Conference Championship game. Because it gives conferences without that Championship game an advantage otherwise. This would force the Big 12 back to the min. 12 members and would get more programs in the P5 conferences giving programs in a position for such an invite, access via winning that conference championship. I think we could do a nice playoff system with 12 members, and give the top ranked P5 teams a TWO WEEK BYE! Thus ditching the "road block" excuse that was just mentioned on ESPNU referencing UL as only a "road block" that has no chance to win the National Championship and a matchup that "nobody wants to see" in the title game. I argue that IF they had played a nearly perfect season and fought their way through the best 12 teams in the country that people WOULD want to see them in the title game.

My idea works like this. 2 games each week.

You take the 4 Highest Ranked G5 programs - OR - The top 3 plus the top ranked Indy IF that Indy is ranked in the top 12.

This gives a possible incentive for BYU and Notre Dame to join a conference while also giving them access. This would have put BYU in the playoffs only 3 times since 1984. Seem like a hard row to hoe? When you are independent you have the opportunity to schedule as many top 10 programs as you would like and you can create your own path. Those locked into conferences don't have that option outside of a couple of weekends a year.

Also includes the 3 Highest Ranked Non-Conference Champion P5 teams with restrictions on a Max of two programs from single conference making the playoffs. Otherwise Both Missouri and South Carolina would get in with BAMA and Auburn. This year , the three would be Alabama, Ohio State, and Oregon.

This year, it would include: 9 of the BCS top 12 teams, it would leave
2 top 10 ranked SEC teams at home (Rather going Bowling) - THAT helps "maintain the integrity of the regular season games".

Week one would be:
Left Bracket: the Highest Ranked G5 con-champ (UCF) v/s 4th Highest Ranked G5 Conf Champ (Would it be from the SBC or Would it be Rice? It would be Rice for sure if we didn't have a Championship game.)(Or Top 12 Ranked independent)

Right Bracket: 2nd Highest Ranked G5 conf-Champ (Fresno St) versus 3rd Highest ranked G5 Conf Champ. (Northern Illinois)

That is 4 teams.

Week 2:

Left Bracket Winner v/s 2nd Highest Ranked non-Conf Champ P5 (Ohio State)

Right Bracket Winner v/s 3rd Highest ranked non-Conf Champ P5 (Oregon)

That is 6 teams included. All P5 Champions have had byes through 2weeks.

Week 3:

Left Bracket Winner v/s Highest Ranked non-Conf Champion P5 (BAMA)

Right Bracket Winner v/s 5th Highest (Lowest) Ranked P5 Champion
(Baylor)

So far, 8 teams in. Only one P5 Champion has had to play so far.

Week 4:

Left Bracket Winner v/s 4th highest ranked P5 Champion (Stanford)
(Potential BAMA/Stanford matchup)

Right Bracket Winner v/s 3rd highest ranked P5 Champion (Mich.St)
Potential Baylor/Michigan State matchup

Week 5

Left Bracket Winner v/s Highest Ranked (#1) P5 Champion (FSU)
Potential BAMA/FSU GAME!

Right Bracket Winner v/s @2nd Highest Ranked (#2) P5 Champion(Auburn)
Potential Auburn/Baylor?

Week 6 = National Championship.

1st Week of Playoffs would start 1st week after Conference Championship Saturday.
12-12-2013 02:01 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
Oh, you can make it, but you're gonna have to go undefeated and you're gonna have to schedule a top 10 team and beat them and another top 25 team and beat them too. It can be done in the SBC, but it would take some help and some scheduling.

If you think you've got a great team, go ahead go for the road game at Alabama or Oklahoma or FSU or Oregon. Because in all fairness, if we're only talking about 4 teams, you really need to knock one of those off in order to prove you belong. Because the other teams will either be those teams or will have beaten them in conference play
12-12-2013 02:04 PM
Advertisement

MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(12-12-2013 01:57 PM)CatMom Wrote:  I like the FCS model. It has gotten out of hand lately but it was ideal, to me, with 16. The 8 conference champions (of eligible conferences because all of them weren't eligible or chose to not participate) then a committee chose the next 8. Seeding comes after.

The FBS could go with the 10 conference champions and the committee chooses the other 6. That way there is no bias for the original 10 spots. It's not rocket science. What it is, is P5 bias. The G5 are unworthy of at least a shot.

Yes, there are times when teams tie for the CC (that have no conf champ game). It happened in the SLC. In that case the head to head winner gets the AQ. In 2005 we were co-champions but lost the head to head with Nicholls. We were then an at large but seeded 4th, due to our overall record.

How to do this equitably and fair is slapping them right in the face but they are turning the other cheek to it.

Per your comment of the FCS model. I first I thought 24 is getting out of hand, but then I look at the bracket setup and how there are more eligible conferences and teams. I like it now, the 1st 8 seeds get a bye and the next 16 teams teams play in the first round.
I notice D2 is now setup that way now also.
12-12-2013 02:08 PM
The4thOption Offline
1st String

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
(12-12-2013 02:04 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Oh, you can make it, but you're gonna have to go undefeated and you're gonna have to schedule a top 10 team and beat them and another top 25 team and beat them too. It can be done in the SBC, but it would take some help and some scheduling.

If you think you've got a great team, go ahead go for the road game at Alabama or Oklahoma or FSU or Oregon. Because in all fairness, if we're only talking about 4 teams, you really need to knock one of those off in order to prove you belong. Because the other teams will either be those teams or will have beaten them in conference play

My only problem is that it requires you to get those games scheduled with programs that don't have to accept your challenge or give you a game. It also has to be done usually years in advance, and so makes it tough to guess on which years you are going to have that "great team". Teams like UGA have that shot every year, and even with all the recruiting advantages they have, how often do they put together that dream team?

And what happens if you scheduled Auburn on the year they win a National Title and then ... they have a year like last year? Or you scheduled Florida and then they have a year like this year? Would the win bring your team into the top 4? Nope, even if you were undefeated and scheduled those games - your chances are going to be limited by the current ranking and record of the two "big boys" you get to play.

We have got to get the playoff expanded for us to have a chance.
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2013 02:20 PM by The4thOption.)
12-12-2013 02:19 PM
wkuhilltopperfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
When any g5 school can win 4-6 games against the top 25.... Then they can gripe.
12-12-2013 02:35 PM
FoUTASportscaster Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTA
^Most P5's don't do that.
12-12-2013 02:51 PM
Senatobia Offline
2nd String

I Root For: stAte
(12-12-2013 01:19 PM)beefsiym Wrote:  

Is there a Trojan in there to lessen the concern?
12-12-2013 09:01 PM
Advertisement

gostAte870 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Arkansas State
(12-12-2013 09:01 PM)Senatobia Wrote:  
(12-12-2013 01:19 PM)beefsiym Wrote:  

Is there a Trojan in there to lessen the concern?

Still runs the risk of breaking when it gets rough.
12-12-2013 09:18 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(12-12-2013 02:19 PM)The4thOption Wrote:  
(12-12-2013 02:04 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Oh, you can make it, but you're gonna have to go undefeated and you're gonna have to schedule a top 10 team and beat them and another top 25 team and beat them too. It can be done in the SBC, but it would take some help and some scheduling.

My only problem is that it requires you to get those games scheduled with programs that don't have to accept your challenge or give you a game. It also has to be done usually years in advance, and so makes it tough to guess on which years you are going to have that "great team". Teams like UGA have that shot every year, and even with all the recruiting advantages they have, how often do they put together that dream team?

And what happens if you scheduled Auburn on the year they win a National Title and then ... they have a year like last year? Or you scheduled Florida and then they have a year like this year? Would the win bring your team into the top 4? Nope, even if you were undefeated and scheduled those games - your chances are going to be limited by the current ranking and record of the two "big boys" you get to play.

And, every one of those games has to be on the road, because Alabama or Auburn isn't going to play you at your stadium.
12-12-2013 09:33 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(12-12-2013 09:33 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  

And, every one of those games has to be on the road, because Alabama or Auburn isn't going to play you at your stadium.

Bama or Auburn wont, but there are other SEC teams that will.
12-12-2013 10:23 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
(12-12-2013 10:23 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(12-12-2013 09:33 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  

Bama or Auburn wont, but there are other SEC teams that will.

In a 4 team playoff, there are very few schools, even in the AQ's that can get to the playoffs without winning on the road at one of the top schools (or on a neutral site).

The system sucks and is unfair, but so long as we're looking at a four team playoff....we're pretty much in the same boat as many teams, even those in the AQ conferences.
12-13-2013 12:57 PM
eaglemachine Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Ga Southern
(12-12-2013 02:08 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  
(12-12-2013 01:57 PM)CatMom Wrote:  I like the FCS model. It has gotten out of hand lately but it was ideal, to me, with 16. The 8 conference champions (of eligible conferences because all of them weren't eligible or chose to not participate) then a committee chose the next 8. Seeding comes after.

How to do this equitably and fair is slapping them right in the face but they are turning the other cheek to it.

Per your comment of the FCS model. I first I thought 24 is getting out of hand, but then I look at the bracket setup and how there are more eligible conferences and teams. I like it now, the 1st 8 seeds get a bye and the next 16 teams teams play in the first round.
I notice D2 is now setup that way now also.

In FCS, 24 is too many. 16 was ideal. With 24 you have too many teams that just get blown out of the water the first week because they really didn't belong in there in the first place.
12-13-2013 01:07 PM
Advertisement

WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU
We never had a shot at playing for the championship so I don't see how the playoffs changes that. Well actually it does, because it's the first step, to getting the door open. At some point it will expand to 8 and then 16 and at that point if you are having a great season you might actually have a shot at a championship in football.....

But lets be honest even if a SBC (CUSA, MAC....)was ranked 16th and got into the playoffs the chances of that team winning the championship would still be great enough to get you rich off a 100 bet....

a chance but not much better than we have today
12-13-2013 01:08 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
The new system effectively cuts out the G5.

But, it's what people get for screaming about a playoff.
12-13-2013 02:56 PM
FloridaJag Offline
All American

I Root For: USA, FSU, and UWF
We started with 8 conference champions with only two playing each other in the Rose Bowl. Resulting in co champions.

Then the Fiesta Bowl hosted Penn State - Miami. Other bowls became irrelevant.

Bowl Coalition is born. #1 vs #2 every year. Big 10 and Pac 10 become irrelevant.

BCS is born. SEC dominates. LSU vs Alabam. BCS problems.

4 team playoff born.

I give it four years and the playoff will expand to 8 teams.
(This post was last modified: 12-14-2013 06:56 PM by FloridaJag.)
12-14-2013 06:55 PM
GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
What really makes March Madness is the occasional smaller school upsetting one of the basketball
giant schools. Looks like they would realize that and at least ensure a shot.

[Image: matress-prank_zpse1fbb47b.gif]
12-17-2013 05:02 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.