I Root For: TXST
Texas State in 2014
Ark-PB
Navy
@ Illinois
@ Tulsa

* Sun Belt home games: Arkansas State, Idaho, Georgia Southern, UL Lafayette
* Sun Belt road games: ULM, Georgia State, South Alabama, New Mexico State

It's going to be a flip around here with us losing a majority of our D-line and secondary and our offense being one year older and more experienced. If our 2 awesome returning linebackers (Orakpo and Mayo) can stay at a high level I can only hope those young FBS recruits I have been hearing about can step up and there won't be much of a drop off. For the first time in a long time we have a starting QB that the entire fan base is behind even as a true freshman and the sky is the limit for this kid, he impressed me with the Texas State Championship in HS and he impressed after taking over a miserable offense to give us our first season to be bowl eligible. We return both of our running backs and lose 2 starting recievers but I am confident that Gunter and Gaines can fill the void. It should be a good one in 2014 just wish we had the chance to play App St. and get even with Troy!
12-10-2013 04:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
RE: Texas State in 2014
The beauty of this schedule is that our two toughest games will be in conference (Cajuns and stAte).

The OOC is weak again, so we should be able to do a 3-1 by the time conference starts.

I call our toss-ups (way too early predictions) as ULM, South Alabama. Maybe New Mexico State, depending on how things shake out "in the desert".

As far as losing the receivers, I think we'll miss Erickson more as a punt returner. We don't throw a lot to our receivers anyway, and the experience and growth of our TE's should more than offset our losses there.

My hope on the defense is that with Yendrey out most of the year, we didn't have any studs to lose, so if the new guys can just... BE, we'll be alright.
12-10-2013 05:42 PM
JCGSU Offline
HAIL SOUTHERN

I Root For: GS EAGLES
(12-10-2013 05:42 PM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  The beauty of this schedule is that our two toughest games will be in conference (Cajuns and stAte).

The OOC is weak again, so we should be able to do a 3-1 by the time conference starts.

I call our toss-ups (way too early predictions) as ULM, South Alabama. Maybe New Mexico State, depending on how things shake out "in the desert".

As far as losing the receivers, I think we'll miss Erickson more as a punt returner. We don't throw a lot to our receivers anyway, and the experience and growth of our TE's should more than offset our losses there.

My hope on the defense is that with Yendrey out most of the year, we didn't have any studs to lose, so if the new guys can just... BE, we'll be alright.

I dont know what you are losing or how recruiting has been the last few years but is the ball bounces your way every time could be a breakout season.
12-10-2013 05:57 PM
GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Ga Southern
I would put Texas St. at somewhere between 6-6 and 8-4 next year.
12-10-2013 06:11 PM
slycat Online
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
Defense will be suspect. Offense will be better and hopefully better play calling like we saw at the end of the year. We may have lost but the offense was better.
12-10-2013 06:54 PM
Advertisement

wkuhilltopperfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
(12-10-2013 05:42 PM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  The beauty of this schedule is that our two toughest games will be in conference (Cajuns and stAte).

Not sure what Navy has coming back, but they are not easy as you think.... Just ask USA . The Illinois game could go either way for any Belt team or CUSA in WKU's case. I think you guys could beat Tulsa but wouldn't put my money on that one
12-10-2013 07:08 PM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

(12-10-2013 07:08 PM)wkuhilltopperfan Wrote:  

Not sure what Navy has coming back, but they are not easy as you think.... Just ask USA . The Illinois game could go either way for any Belt team or CUSA in WKU's case. I think you guys could beat Tulsa but wouldn't put my money on that one

Navy was my "loss" game OOC. I don't think it's an easy stretch for us to go 3-1, but I just don't think it would be unheard of either.

Granted, I have my maroon colored glasses on for the schedule, but I think overall, it was pretty fair.
12-10-2013 07:12 PM
wkuhilltopperfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
(12-10-2013 07:12 PM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  

Navy was my "loss" game OOC. I don't think it's an easy stretch for us to go 3-1, but I just don't think it would be unheard of either.

Granted, I have my maroon colored glasses on for the schedule, but I think overall, it was pretty fair.
If you come out of that 2-2 consider yourself lucky. Anything more will have my respect
12-10-2013 07:20 PM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT

. . . at least we get stAte & the Cajuns at HOME . . HOPEFULLY that counts for something . .
12-11-2013 12:01 AM
Advertisement

Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
(12-10-2013 07:20 PM)wkuhilltopperfan Wrote:  
(12-10-2013 07:12 PM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  

If you come out of that 2-2 consider yourself lucky. Anything more will have my respect

... maroon colored glasses are the BEST! I'm wearing mine now, and I'm seeing at least 7 wins next year ... hell, we may even go bowling . . . Aint the off season great????
12-11-2013 12:07 AM
UnitedWeFanTXST Offline
Bench Warmer

7-5 is reasonable, but 6-6 is probable.
12-11-2013 12:57 AM
gsu2583 Offline
Special Teams

(12-10-2013 06:54 PM)slycat Wrote:  Defense will be suspect. Offense will be better and hopefully better play calling like we saw at the end of the year. We may have lost but the offense was better.

Elaborate on 'suspect' defense. In what way?
12-11-2013 09:15 AM
slycat Online
Heisman

(12-11-2013 09:15 AM)gsu2583 Wrote:  
(12-10-2013 06:54 PM)slycat Wrote:  Defense will be suspect. Offense will be better and hopefully better play calling like we saw at the end of the year. We may have lost but the offense was better.

Elaborate on 'suspect' defense. In what way?

We are losing 7 starters. LB will be the only returning position of known strength. Our secondary wasn't very strong last year so that may be a wash. The d-line will be younger and without some talent so that hurts. I think its tough to say now but we will have to see how the younger players do and if JUCO support is brought it.

Overall I think it means our strong run defense will be not as strong. Hopefully, a better and older offense will counterbalance and keep them off the field longer then this year. Too many three and outs.
12-11-2013 09:40 AM
Advertisement

Dedsquirrl Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: USA Jaguars
Did Navy's QB graduate?

That kid had like a sixth sense when it came to the option when we played them.
If he is gone, then they should have a much less potent offense.
Nothing against the rest of Navy's team, but he was insanely good at running that scheme.
12-11-2013 10:00 AM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

(12-11-2013 10:00 AM)Dedsquirrl Wrote:  Did Navy's QB graduate?

That kid had like a sixth sense when it came to the option when we played them.
If he is gone, then they should have a much less potent offense.
Nothing against the rest of Navy's team, but he was insanely good at running that scheme.

If you are talking about Keenan Reynolds, their leading passer and rusher (by a HUGE margin), then he is a sophomore.

Seriously, that kid had well over a third of the team's rushing attempts! (he had 250, the entire team had 651), and just at one third of his team's rushing yards (1,124 for him vs. 3,521 for the team).

Cripes, he accounted for well over half of the team's rushing TD's (he had 26, the entire squad had 43).
12-11-2013 11:26 AM
ATX Bobcat Offline
Water Engineer

(12-10-2013 04:45 PM)Godzilla Wrote:  Ark-PB
Navy
@ Illinois
@ Tulsa

* Sun Belt home games: Arkansas State, Idaho, Georgia Southern, UL Lafayette
* Sun Belt road games: ULM, Georgia State, South Alabama, New Mexico State

It's going to be a flip around here with us losing a majority of our D-line and secondary and our offense being one year older and more experienced. If our 2 awesome returning linebackers (Orakpo and Mayo) can stay at a high level I can only hope those young FBS recruits I have been hearing about can step up and there won't be much of a drop off. For the first time in a long time we have a starting QB that the entire fan base is behind even as a true freshman and the sky is the limit for this kid, he impressed me with the Texas State Championship in HS and he impressed after taking over a miserable offense to give us our first season to be bowl eligible. We return both of our running backs and lose 2 starting recievers but I am confident that Gunter and Gaines can fill the void. It should be a good one in 2014 just wish we had the chance to play App St. and get even with Troy!

Ark PB- W
Navy - L
@Illinois - L
@Tulsa - W
Arkansas State - L
Idaho - W
Georgia Southern - W
UL - L
ULM - L
Georgia State - W
South Alabama - W
NMSU - W

Its so hard to pick games this early, but that is my initial thoughts. I have no idea what to expect.

Tyler Jones would have another year to learn the system, however, where is the depth? If he gets hurt were relying on Dixon? true freshman?

O-Line should be improved, RBs should be improved, plus addition of Jamel James if he sticks around.

WR should be fine, alot of young talent, same as the TEs

D-Line will take a hit, Secondary takes a hit, LBers are solid

Special teams should be about the same, maybe a little worse. Who knows.

The absolute key is Dennis Franchione. With the way we finished the year, i dont look at that schedule and see any guaranteed wins, outside of Arkansas -pine bluff. And thats a scary thought. Teams like Georgia State, Idahao, and NMSU will no doubt continue to improve. As will South Alabama. Georgia Southern, regardless of division, is a strong football school, and they wont be a pushover. Ark St, UL, and ULM are tough games.

OOC, could easily go 1-3, with those teams. And thats a not a good start out of the gate.

Just my .02
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2013 12:25 PM by ATX Bobcat.)
12-11-2013 12:23 PM
gsu2583 Offline
Special Teams

So you're run defense may be a little soft...

Hmmmmm...
12-11-2013 12:28 PM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

(12-11-2013 12:28 PM)gsu2583 Wrote:  So you're run defense may be a little soft...

Hmmmmm...

Naw, our run defense should be fine. Not great, but about like it was this year... Great against lesser teams, struggle against the better teams (stAte, WKU).

Our pass rush will be what takes a big ol' hit.
12-11-2013 01:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.