MAC Awards Predictions
They should be out tomorrow.

Coach: Rod Carey
Offense: Jordan Lynch
Defense: Khalil Mack
Special Teams: Jeremiah Detmer
Vern Smith: Jordan Lynch
12-03-2013 06:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GoBullsGo Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Buffalo Bulls
RE: MAC Awards Predictions
Hard to disagree with any of those selections if it shakes out that way.
12-03-2013 06:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
Bravo.
12-03-2013 06:24 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(12-03-2013 06:00 PM)NIUHuskie Wrote:  They should be out tomorrow.

Coach: Rod Carey
Offense: Jordan Lynch
Defense: Khalil Mack
Special Teams: Jeremiah Detmer
Vern Smith: Jordan Lynch

May be a very short thread. Hard to imagine much dissent from the names listed.
12-03-2013 06:27 PM
Advertisement

perimeterpost Offline
All American

I Root For: OHIO
Carey is probably the favorite but I wouldn't consider him a lock. Bowden, Clawson and Quinn have brought bad programs off the deck and will be in the conversation.
12-03-2013 06:37 PM
HuskieJWN Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU
Ya I think all are right except maybe coach of the year. I'd say either clawson or Quinn.

You left freshman of the year off so I will go with Corey Davis
12-03-2013 09:18 PM
NIUHuskie Offline
1st String

(12-03-2013 09:18 PM)HuskieJWN Wrote:  Ya I think all are right except maybe coach of the year. I'd say either clawson or Quinn.

I don't see how anyone could coach a team to an undefeated regular season record, beat two Big Ten teams and be ranked #14 in the BCS and not be Coach of the Year. Regardless of how well that team did last year.
12-04-2013 01:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(12-03-2013 09:18 PM)HuskieJWN Wrote:  Ya I think all are right except maybe coach of the year. I'd say either clawson or Quinn.

I nominate FOY-True Freshman UT RB Kareem Hunt- 5 starts 137 carries 866 yds 6 TD's 6.32 yds per carry . Could go over 1,000 yds for the season in a Bowl game.
12-04-2013 04:15 AM
Wadszip Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Akron
(12-04-2013 04:15 AM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  

I nominate FOY-True Freshman UT RB Kareem Hunt- 5 starts 137 carries 866 yds 6 TD's 6.32 yds per carry . Could go over 1,000 yds for the season in a Bowl game.

Hunt is a stud. Was a stud in high school (Willoughby South) and will be a stud in college.

As for coach of the year, it has to be Carey.

Quinn and Bowden both are in the mix, but Quinn is hurt by the back-to-back losses. Bowden, IMO, would've been a shoe-in if they would've beat Michigan and Akron was bowl eligible.

Nothing against Carey, but with Lynch back, NIU was supposed to do what it did this year (kind of how Jim Tressel never won B10 coach of the year despite dominating the league for a decade). Nobody (outside Akron fans like myself) thought the Zips would win more than a game or two.
12-04-2013 04:42 AM
HuskieJWN Offline
All American

I just have a feeling Carey won't get credit for it since everyone thinks his team was loaded, which it was.

I also had a media member tell me their vote was due last week before the BG and Buffalo game, that he and quite a few others said they voted for Quinn.

I forgot about Hunt, he has a chance over Davis.

Lots of good points, just giving my opinion. An argument could be made for almost every award outside of Lynch and most likely Mack.
12-04-2013 08:20 AM
Advertisement

BobL Offline
Heisman

(12-03-2013 06:37 PM)perimeterpost Wrote:  Carey is probably the favorite but I wouldn't consider him a lock. Bowden, Clawson and Quinn have brought bad programs off the deck and will be in the conversation.

agreed id go with Quinn
12-04-2013 09:14 AM
perimeterpost Offline
All American

I Root For: OHIO
Which is more impressive- inheriting a team that's won the MAC West 3 years in a row with 11+ wins and a bcs bowl appearance and maintaining that with a slight improvement, or taking a team that has had 1 winning season in 14 years while averaging 2.7 wins/season and getting them to 8 wins and a bowl bid?

There's no right or wrong answer but recent history suggests that voters prefer rewarding improvement over sustained success.

2012- Darrell Hazell wins for getting Kent State bowl eligible for first time in forever. NIU's Dave Doren wins more games and the MACC against Kent, and earns a BCS bid.

2011- Ron English wins for getting EMU to 6-6. Dave Doren's first year, goes 11-3 and wins MACC and bowl. Frank Solich wins 10 games and school's first bowl game. All told, 6 other teams had same or better record than English.

2010- Michael Haywood wins for taking Miami from worst to first, Jerry Kill won more games but lost head to head.

2009- Al Golden wins for getting Temple to 9 wins for first time since Moses road a skateboard. Temple loses to 9 win Ohio for MAC East champ. Butch Jones goes 12-2 and wins MACC.

If I was Carey I wouldn't be clearing off space for that trophy just yet.
12-04-2013 10:08 AM
HuskieJWN Offline
All American

I really think Quinn wins it, just my opinion, but I think both are worthy.

Quinn has done an excellent job. They have a lot more talent than people remember though, Oliver, Neutz, Mack, etc. The fact they haven't been consistently good lends to thinking that he will win it. Context:They beat 1 team with a winning record.

Carey on the other hand was handed Lynch and the two time defending MAC champs. So he had two aces coming to the table. However, going undefeated is no easy task. He won a lot of road games and beat two BigTen teams. Context: He had Jordan Lynch.

I think it goes to Quinn, but both are super deserving.

Just a quick note, Kill lost the head to head, but the vote was decided before they played.
12-04-2013 10:42 AM
Advertisement

axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(12-04-2013 10:42 AM)HuskieJWN Wrote:  I really think Quinn wins it, just my opinion, but I think both are worthy.

Quinn has done an excellent job. They have a lot more talent than people remember though, Oliver, Neutz, Mack, etc. The fact they haven't been consistently good lends to thinking that he will win it. Context:They beat 1 team with a winning record.

Carey on the other hand was handed Lynch and the two time defending MAC champs. So he had two aces coming to the table. However, going undefeated is no easy task. He won a lot of road games and beat two BigTen teams. Context: He had Jordan Lynch.

I think it goes to Quinn, but both are super deserving.

Just a quick note, Kill lost the head to head, but the vote was decided before they played.

Same as 2012: when the votes were cast, both teams were 11-1 and 8-0 MAC. MACC games and bowl outcomes are not a factor.
12-04-2013 10:47 AM
NIU1981 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Peace & Equity
They could possibly give the offensive award to someone else since Lynch will get the Vern Smith. Candidates would be Keith Wenning (3,933 yards, 34 TDs, 6 INTs) or Willie Snead (97 catches, 1,429 yards, 14 TDs).
12-04-2013 10:50 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.