Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SBC Bowls Bylaw
Bookmark and Share
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
SBC Bowls Bylaw
Pulled from the league website.

3.3.2.4 If there are co-champions; both teams are guaranteed a spot as long as both have a
minimum of 7 regular season wins. If one of the co-champions has a 6-6 regular season
record and is not selected by one of the SBC contracted bowls, that team will be placed
in the pool of other at-large SBC teams.

Whether or not the Go Daddy actually follows this, or if the league actually enforces it is anyone's guess.
12-01-2013 01:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

gostAte870 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Arkansas State
RE: SBC Bowls Bylaw
So basically, the GoDaddy can't pick WKU until they are sure that we don't become conference champs.
12-01-2013 02:10 AM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-01-2013 02:10 AM)gostAte870 Wrote:  So basically, the GoDaddy can't pick WKU until they are sure that we don't become conference champs.

Looks like it.
12-01-2013 02:54 AM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU
But we know from past actions that doesn't mean anything...

lets flash back to 2011 and ASU standing at 7-0 going into their last game of the season one game up on a 7-1 WKU team and what happens?

Well I will tell you.....

ASU got a invite and accepted it before playing their last game of the season. As we know ASU went on to win that game but lets play what if what if ASU loss and there was a tie. Well ULL already took the invite to New Orleans even with them sitting in 3rd place and ASU already taking the Go Daddy well WKU was left out in the cold even if ASU had loss.

So how good are those bylaws.

It really doesn't matter because ULL will take care of USA next week
12-01-2013 02:54 AM
trojanbrutha Offline
Beltbbs Troy Football INsider

I Root For: TROY
(12-01-2013 02:54 AM)WKUYG Wrote:  But we know from past actions that doesn't mean anything...

lets flash back to 2011 and ASU standing at 7-0 going into their last game of the season one game up on a 7-1 WKU team and what happens?

ASU got a invite and accepted it before playing their last game of the season. As we know ASU went on to win that game but lets play what if what if ASU loss and there was a tie. Well ULL already took the invite to New Orleans even with them sitting in 3rd place and ASU already taking the Go Daddy well WKU was left out in the cold even if ASU had loss.

That's not a given...I'm not crazy about 'em, but you know just as well as I, they have the potential.
12-01-2013 03:02 AM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-01-2013 02:54 AM)WKUYG Wrote:  But we know from past actions that doesn't mean anything...

I fully expect WKU to accept a GoDaddy Bowl bid tomorrow if they receive one regardless of what any conference bylaws say.

That doesn't mean that ASU wouldn't have an action against the SBC and the bowl (not WKU). The bylaws are enforceable in court, and were in 2011 as well.

I have no idea if ASU would pursue any action, but they certainly could if ULL then went on to lose to USA. GoDaddy could always ask USA to lay down for them I suppose.

Regardless, at best, the relationship between stAte and the conference would be permanently changed. Which is an SBC thing and nothing to do with you.
12-01-2013 03:13 AM
Advertisement

WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

If it's in the power of the SBC I fully expect them to do everything they can to get ASU the Go Daddy invite. I think all Western fans would totally understand it if it happens...

disappointed but understand it
12-01-2013 03:43 AM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-01-2013 03:43 AM)WKUYG Wrote:  If it's in the power of the SBC I fully expect them to do everything they can to get ASU the Go Daddy invite. I think all Western fans would totally understand it if it happens...

disappointed but understand it

The bowl situation has been the SBC achilles heel and source of internal dissent. That has been one thing that clearly had an influence on the SBC losing programs to CUSA.

Something will need to be done at some point for the SBC to be healthy. Just adding the new bowl ties in the east aren't going to be the final solution.
12-01-2013 04:00 AM
Check Yosef Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
SBC Bowls Bylaw
Like I said in other topic

Well not much can be done by most of us specifically me considering I'm just a student, I see the biggest solution to be our teams continue to improve, our programs focus on winning and push the conference to do more for the prestige of our conference, simple as that for me, programs push their players and get better and better OOC wins while the conference uses that it get us more tie ins and more coverage

If in the future I feel app was cheated from a bowl that's tragic. What's more important is that the team that cheated my team from it whoops that other team's ass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
12-01-2013 04:05 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts

Different rules in place in 2011. The at that time if there was a tie both were declared champs but the tie was broken to determine who would be placed in a bowl. AState held the tie-breaker.

The league changed the rule after last season.
12-01-2013 10:06 AM
chiefsfan Offline

Rules were changed after last season when we nearly had that wild 4 team tie for first place..

Once again...this does not mean they will actually be enforced.
12-01-2013 10:36 AM
Advertisement

ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-01-2013 10:36 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

Rules were changed after last season when we nearly had that wild 4 team tie for first place..

Once again...this does not mean they will actually be enforced.

They had best be enforced either by the conference, or by the courts. I'm not ready to allow Benson to run this conference by decree, whim, or personal preference just quite yet.
12-01-2013 10:39 AM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

Show me something that says this bylaw was changed? I personally believe we should live up to a contract we enter into and by joining a conference the bylaws is the contract. But I also believe once that contract is broken nothing in it is worth the the paper it's wrote on....

a broken contract is not enforceable, you can't pick pieces to enforce and not others...contracts don't work that way.

I'm not saying this bylaw isn't "new" but surely someone can show the old bylaw from 2 years ago? From reading the ASU board I gather ArkStfan didn't know it was a bylaw till someone posted it on the Den late last night so how would you know it was "new" "updated" and not the very same wording from 2011?

Bylaw or no bylaw I believe the SBC will do everything it can to get ASU the Go Daddy bowl over WKU and us WKU fans understand the logic behind that. But....

it would almost be worth sitting home (hey I will be on the gulf anyways) and seeing the meltdown take place if USA wins and the Go Daddy took the "home team"
12-01-2013 01:30 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-01-2013 01:30 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  it would almost be worth sitting home (hey I will be on the gulf anyways) and seeing the meltdown take place if USA wins and the Go Daddy took the "home team"

With the bylaw, they can't take USA whether they lose or win. Troy would be a different matter.
12-01-2013 01:40 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(12-01-2013 01:30 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  Show me something that says this bylaw was changed? I personally believe we should live up to a contract we enter into and by joining a conference the bylaws is the contract. But I also believe once that contract is broken nothing in it is worth the the paper it's wrote on....

a broken contract is not enforceable, you can't pick pieces to enforce and not others...contracts don't work that way.

I'm not saying this bylaw isn't "new" but surely someone can show the old bylaw from 2 years ago? From reading the ASU board I gather ArkStfan didn't know it was a bylaw till someone posted it on the Den late last night so how would you know it was "new" "updated" and not the very same wording from 2011?

Bylaw or no bylaw I believe the SBC will do everything it can to get ASU the Go Daddy bowl over WKU and us WKU fans understand the logic behind that. But....

it would almost be worth sitting home (hey I will be on the gulf anyways) and seeing the meltdown take place if USA wins and the Go Daddy took the "home team"

It was accessible on the Sun Belt site until they password protected it.
12-01-2013 01:52 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-01-2013 01:52 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  
(12-01-2013 01:30 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  Show me something that says this bylaw was changed? I personally believe we should live up to a contract we enter into and by joining a conference the bylaws is the contract. But I also believe once that contract is broken nothing in it is worth the the paper it's wrote on....

It was accessible on the Sun Belt site until they password protected it.

Password protecting the conference bylaws does not make them not exist. Nor will it keep lawyers from seeing them.

The very fact that they would password protect them after people brought their attention to them directly plays into the conspiracy theory that something is very stinky in Bensonville.
12-01-2013 02:04 PM
Advertisement

AtlantaJag Offline
Beltbbs USA INsider

I Root For: USA Jaguars
(12-01-2013 01:40 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  
(12-01-2013 01:30 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  it would almost be worth sitting home (hey I will be on the gulf anyways) and seeing the meltdown take place if USA wins and the Go Daddy took the "home team"

With the bylaw, they can't take USA whether they lose or win. Troy would be a different matter.

Why would taking Troy be a different matter than taking USA? A USA win over ULL would leave both Troy and USA with identical 6-6 overall and 4-3 conference records. Troy is not part of the co-champion discussion.
12-01-2013 02:05 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-01-2013 02:05 PM)AtlantaJag Wrote:  

Why would taking Troy be a different matter than taking USA? A USA win over ULL would leave both Troy and USA with identical 6-6 overall and 4-3 conference records. Troy is not part of the co-champion discussion.

If USA wins the game Arkansas State would be co-champions and the by law would require GoDaddy to take Arkansas State. USA is out of the GoDaddy Bowl picture unless they win AND this bylaw is ignored.
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2013 02:07 PM by ark30inf.)
12-01-2013 02:07 PM
chiefsfan Offline

Because if you guys win, the rules say that ASU has to be placed before you can. USA's only hope at a bowl involves a 3rd SBC team going bowling.
12-01-2013 02:09 PM
AtlantaJag Offline
Beltbbs USA INsider

I Root For: USA Jaguars
(12-01-2013 02:07 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  

If USA wins the game Arkansas State would be co-champions and the by law would require GoDaddy to take Arkansas State. USA is out of the GoDaddy Bowl picture unless they win AND this bylaw is ignored.

I see. I didn't catch your leap that Troy would be different matter if USA loses. The way you wrote it I thought you meant Troy would be different matter in case of a USA win or loss.
12-01-2013 02:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.