Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2013 Basketball Dukes
Bookmark and Share
BSKB 24 Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU
2013 Basketball Dukes
Tonight was my first look at this years team. I really liked what I saw. This appears to be a nice collection of kids with great attitudes and hustle. Doesn't seem to be any blockheads and they all buy into what the coaches are trying to do.

We are the second youngest team in Div I and the second tallest. Our zone defenses look good. The players work hard in the defenses and rebound well out of them. There are some good rotations with the substitution patterns and we appear to be at least 10 deep.

Our Achilles heel is lack of a couple of good outside shooters. Semenov is off his shooting game so far. Cook has beautiful elevation with his outside jumper, but he doesn't get the looks often enough. Free throw shooting cost us the game, but that may be due to 4 games in 5 days and tired legs. Until it is a pattern I will give them a pass on it.

Kent passed up on a couple of good opportunities down the stretch tonight. He needs to take advantage of those opportunities. He surprised me with his slashing ability and drawing fouls. I think he will be a valuable asset. Just needs playing time to improve. Shooting form is not good. Shoots from his right shoulder instead of his forehead. Devon shot from his chest, so it isn't all bad.

Bessick is definitely a work in progress. He does everything inside, but score. He has to learn to finish and get some touch on his shots.

All of the 6'8 kids from overseas are hard to get to know, so far. I have to see a few more games before I can remember who they are. But, I liked them! We are playing a somewhat European style of ball.

There was a great crowd there tonight. The students turned out in great numbers and the team gave them reasons to come back. We should all get behind this team as they earned our support by playing so hard. They are fun to watch.
11-20-2013 12:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bcp_jmu Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison!!
RE: 2013 Basketball Dukes
Well put..totally agreed...we seem to need more set-plays for inside and 3s...but some real potential - even this year.
11-20-2013 12:51 AM
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jmu
Glad to see your assessment- I think the program is definitely going in the right direction and this team will be competitive and fun to watch all year. It was good to see Lukic get into the mix last night maybe the home court atmosphere helped him- looks like another good freshman class by Brady.
11-20-2013 06:52 AM
JMUSteeler Offline
1st String

I agree with everything BSKB said. I think we missed 18 free throws (maybe), in a 4 point game that's pretty devastating. Tired legs or not, the effort was there and that was nice to see. With their youth, would like to see the 6th year senior be able to put them on his back during games like last night (without breaking anything). No Curry and no Nation down the stretch, still kept it a game.
11-20-2013 07:38 AM
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
Re: 2013 Basketball Dukes
Brady has hinted at who the shooters might be if they shed their timid approach.
With the rotation, he could put 3 shooters on the court and not lose rebounding or ballhandling.
Semenov +2...
Cooke, Lukic, Kent.
We dont have enough of a sample size yet, but those are the ones that Brady expects to be good 3pt shooters.

Positive - Curry looked more willing to drive the lane last night. He wasn't very effective but that is the skill this team needs from him. Keep doing it until it becomes a habit.
11-20-2013 09:03 AM
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
Curry rolled the ankle pretty badly last night. Anybody here anything regarding his status?
11-20-2013 09:04 AM
Advertisement

Centdukesfan Offline
All American

I Root For: Dukes, bud
somebody tell me why the students dont just take over one half of the stadium? The lower levels look sparse. Throw the season ticket holders on one side and let the students reign over the other lower level. Its not like our season ticket holders would probably care all that much. Watching a game from the upper rafters is not all that engaging.

Also - Vodondodnodovich is a great player and was a good get for us. Thats all i got.
11-20-2013 09:17 AM
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

Re: 2013 Basketball Dukes
Speaking of Vodanovich, I am waiting to see his jumping ability. He was a record holding high jumper in high school.
When he T-bags a W&M defender, I will become a big fan.
A Kiwi T-bag
11-20-2013 09:27 AM
PGJMU Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: JMU Dukes
(11-20-2013 09:27 AM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  Speaking of Vodanovich, I am waiting to see his jumping ability. He was a record holding high jumper in high school.
A Kiwi T-bag

wow, that is shocking to me. doesn't seem to have the body type to be a high jumper, but who knows. then again, it is NZ and the have what, 4 million shay whiteys? 4 1/2 feet probably medals.
11-20-2013 09:53 AM
PGJMU Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: JMU Dukes
(11-20-2013 12:06 AM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  Our Achilles heel is lack of a couple of good outside shooters. Semenov is off his shooting game so far. Cook has beautiful elevation with his outside jumper, but he doesn't get the looks often enough. Free throw shooting cost us the game, but that may be due to 4 games in 5 days and tired legs. Until it is a pattern I will give them a pass on it.

I agree that outside shooting is an issue, although I am surprised by that. Isnt that what international guys are known for? I gotta think with Semenov, Cooke, Vondanovich, & Kent, we should be pretty good from three. I thought Lukic was supposed to be a shooter as well. Maybe the young guys just need to get some game time and confidence.

too much stereotyping??
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2013 09:58 AM by PGJMU.)
11-20-2013 09:57 AM
Dukes84 Offline
All American

We've gotten a lot of good looks over the course of the season, but have not consistently hit many outside shots and have really struggled at the free throw line. I thought perhaps we took a step back last night in our play vis-a-vis the tournament in Illinois, most of which I watched. Could have been fatigue. What was good to see last night -- finally -- was the emergence of Ivan Lukic as a scorer. Among the freshmen, it would appear that the three potential scorers are Vodanovich, Kent and Lukic. Next year, we'll add two impact players in Sterling and Hall to the mix, and, of course, Nation later this season. I'm a bit concerned by Curry's injury, as he's the only true point guard on the team. I think it would behoove them to have another, but apparently the coaching staff didn't feel that way in putting this team together. That Detroit team has talent...I was impressed by their size, athleticism and skill. One of their players from VA JMU also recruited.
11-20-2013 11:00 AM
Advertisement

Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

Re: RE: 2013 Basketball Dukes
(11-20-2013 09:53 AM)PGJMU Wrote:  
(11-20-2013 09:27 AM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  Speaking of Vodanovich, I am waiting to see his jumping ability. He was a record holding high jumper in high school.
A Kiwi T-bag

wow, that is shocking to me. doesn't seem to have the body type to be a high jumper, but who knows. then again, it is NZ and the have what, 4 million shay whiteys? 4 1/2 feet probably medals.

If the Kiwi records are correct, he cleared 1.98 meters which is 6'6". That is pretty freaking impressive for a big guy.
I thought he had an alley oop from Curry last night but he got caught in between steps and didn't commit to elevating.

Like I said, I'm still waiting to see his jumping ability in game action.
11-20-2013 11:09 AM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
What's with Carbakapa? Did he see the floor at all last night? Will he be a help to tihs squad?

Cent, the idea of getting the students down to the lower "bowl" has been a source of conversation for at least 25 years. It is what it is and it is what it was. Never made any sense back then and still doesn't today.

If those people aren't in their lower seats by at least, say mid-way first half, then let students move down there. If they show up after that then they can find another place to sit and not be so late next time. Make it a clear policy up front.
11-20-2013 11:15 AM
Dukes84 Offline
All American

And yes BSKB, Kent passed up several open looks in the second half...saw the same thing myself and couldn't understand it as he was hot at that point.
11-20-2013 11:18 AM
Centdukesfan Offline
All American

I Root For: Dukes, bud
I know its been that way forever... But at some point we have to admit that we havent sold the tickets which require both lower levels to be sectioned off for season ticket holders. Maude can move to the other side or GTFO
11-20-2013 11:18 AM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
(11-20-2013 11:18 AM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  I know its been that way forever... But at some point we have to admit that we havent sold the tickets which require both lower levels to be sectioned off for season ticket holders. Maude can move to the other side or GTFO

You're a Maudeist.
11-20-2013 11:29 AM
Advertisement

ShadyP Offline
Heisman

I just hope the Students can keep up the attendance and enthusiasism they showed last night at the next home when students are back in 2014.

All in all the team looked better than I expected. With even fair FT shooting JMU wins that game by 7+ points. That is something that can easily be worked on. The things I liked it that I did not see one me first guy on the court last night. Everyone seemed to buy in to what the coaching staff was trying to do on both ends of the court and there was good communication among the players. I thought Kent, Lukic, and Vodanovich looked real good for their 5th college game. Dalambert looks really raw, I hope he has a quick learning curve.
11-20-2013 12:25 PM
DaBigBlue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
(11-20-2013 11:18 AM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  I know its been that way forever... But at some point we have to admit that we havent sold the tickets which require both lower levels to be sectioned off for season ticket holders. Maude can move to the other side or GTFO

It's a shame your AD didn't want to play VCU, GMU or ODU. Having a Top-10 VCU playing at the Convo would certainly spur interest. Then you add the casual fans of Virginia basketball and the VCU fans, you could sell out like JPJ at UVa. Never understood not playing in-state schools.
11-20-2013 12:43 PM
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
(11-20-2013 12:43 PM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  

It's a shame your AD didn't want to play VCU, GMU or ODU. Having a Top-10 VCU playing at the Convo would certainly spur interest. Then you add the casual fans of Virginia basketball and the VCU fans, you could sell out like JPJ at UVa. Never understood not playing in-state schools.

You AD operates differently than our AD. Risk Adverse is our model.
11-20-2013 12:44 PM
JMU85 Offline
All American

I Root For: The Dukes of JMU
(11-20-2013 12:25 PM)ShadyP Wrote:  I just hope the Students can keep up the attendance and enthusiasism they showed last night at the next home when students are back in 2014.

All in all the team looked better than I expected. With even fair FT shooting JMU wins that game by 7+ points. That is something that can easily be worked on. The things I liked it that I did not see one me first guy on the court last night. Everyone seemed to buy in to what the coaching staff was trying to do on both ends of the court and there was good communication among the players. I thought Kent, Lukic, and Vodanovich looked real good for their 5th college game. Dalambert looks really raw, I hope he has a quick learning curve.

Dalambert looks like a freak athletically but I agree is very raw. Too bad he did not Redshirt this year.
11-20-2013 01:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.