Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bowl qualifying
Bookmark and Share
lcitsh Offline
1st String

I Root For: sports
Bowl qualifying
Boston College qualifies with a 38-21 win over North Carolina State, and eliminates the Wolfpack in the process.
Vanderbilt qualifies with a 22-6 win over Kentucky.
Central Michigan stays alive with a 27-22 win over Western Michigan.
West Virginia is eliminated by Kansas, 31-19.
Illinois is eliminated by Ohio State, 60-35.
Maryland qualifies with a 27-24 overtime win against Virginia Tech.
North Carolina stays alive by beating Pittsburgh, 34-27. Pittsburgh is still alive.
Florida Atlantic stays in the picture by beating Southern Mississippi, 41-7.
Rutgers gets pounded by Cincinnati, but still has three games left to win one.

More to come.
11-16-2013 04:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
RE: Bowl qualifying
That Kansas win over West Virginia is huge. That leave open the possibility of Notre Dame sliding into a Big 12 bowl and not going to Shreveport.
11-16-2013 05:30 PM
lcitsh Offline
1st String

Navy locks in the Armed Forces Bowl with a 42-14 win over South Alabama. USA must win out to qualify.
Southern Methodist stays alive with a 38-21 win over Connecticut.
Washington State stays alive with a 24-17 victory against Arizona.
Kansas State qualifies and eliminates Texas Christian with a 33-31 win.
11-16-2013 07:24 PM
FoUTASportscaster Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTA
(11-16-2013 05:30 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  That Kansas win over West Virginia is huge. That leave open the possibility of Notre Dame sliding into a Big 12 bowl and not going to Shreveport.

Either way, not having a P5 conference use all their bowl slots is huge. Not only for this season, but with all the P5's maxing out their bowl affiliations, it could mean they will have to secure a secondary affiliation because they have exceeded their average.
(This post was last modified: 11-16-2013 08:42 PM by FoUTASportscaster.)
11-16-2013 08:40 PM
lcitsh Offline
1st String

Arkansas State qualifies with a 38-21 win over Texas State.
Colorado State stays alive and knocks New Mexico out of the picture with a 66-42 victory. CSU (6-5) still has two games left.
Which do you think Florida would prefer, beat South Carolina on their way to becoming bowl eligible, or take Florida State out of the national championship game by beating them at home to get their bowl bid? Right, good luck with that.
Dare I even mention that Colorado and Memphis are still alive with their wins today? They'll get crushed next week.
11-16-2013 11:29 PM
Heisman

As of 11-17-13
AAC 5.5 tie-ins. 4 Bowl Eligible, Rutgers at 5-4, SMU 4-5, Memphis 3-6, 3 Not Bowl Eligible
ACC 8 tie-ins. 8 BE, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, North Carolina 5-5, Wake 4-6, 2 NBE
Big 10 8 tie-ins. 7 BE, Northwestern 4-6, Indiana 4-6, 3 NBE
Big 12 7 tie-ins. 6 BE, 4 NBE
C-USA 5.5 tie-ins. 6 BE, UTSA 5-5, FAU, La Tech 4-6, 5NBE
Indy 3 tie-ins. Notre Dame (no guaranteed tie in), Navy, BYU in, Army out
MAC 3 tie-ins. 6 BE, Central Michigan 4-6, 6 NBE
MWC 7 tie-ins. 4 BE, Colorado State 6-5 (they need 7), San Jose St, UNLV 5-5, Wyoming 4-6, 4 NBE
Pac-12 7 tie-ins. 8 BE, Washington State 5-5, Utah 4-6, 2 NBE
SEC 10 tie-ins. 9 BE, Florida, Miss St, Tennessee 4-6, 2 NBE
SBC 2 tie-ins. 4 BE, ULM 5-5, Troy 5-6, USA 3-6

Still assuming it is Alabama and Florida State in the National championship game, those conferences will have one extra slot to fill. That leaves two other at-large slots. At this point, it looks like Fresno or NIU will take it, with the Bulldogs having the inside track. The Pac-12 had the inside track before USC upset Stanford. If they fall too much, it could open the door for Oklahoma State, UCLA, Oklahoma or Michigan State. At this point, it is a crap shoot.

What we do know is the AAC and ACC (as long as FSU wins out) will fill their slots and no more. The Big 10 (barring several upsets), Big 12 (certainly), SEC (again barring upsets) and Army won't fill all of theirs. If the Big 12 snags a second BCS slot, they will have two vacancies needing to be filled. If the Pac-12 gets the second because Stanford doesn't slip too far or UCLA gains then they will have theirs filled, unless Washington State wins one or Utah wins two. WSU has Utah and Washington, U of U has WSU and Colorado. So it is likely they will have nine bowl eligible teams. The MWC will be the wild card. One of their slots could open if the chips fall that way in the schedule and Fresno goes to a BCS bowl. However, if they don't fill their slots, I see a Pac-12 as a likely candidate for filling.

C-USA may have one or so teams beyond their bowl slots, but I don't see a 6-6 C-USA leftover having much value to a bowl committee. The MAC will have at least six and maybe seven, but again, don't see a 6-6 MAC team having that value.

The issue for the SBC will be wins. right now, only one SBC bowl eligible team has more than six wins. I'd say a minimum of seven wins and maybe eight. That said, I still think it is highly unlikely that the SBC doesn't get at least three. Too many vacancies in their footprint from other conferences, plus they have the back-up agreement for Detroit, for there not to be at least three.
11-17-2013 09:26 AM
Advertisement

SApuro Offline
All American

I Root For: UTSA and USM
Question is which 3?

It's looking like there will be between 73-76 bowl eligible teams. That leaves a few people stuck at home. There's a chance FAU makes it to 6-6 but unless its the beef o Brady bowl not sure what value they would add to a bowl with victories with an extremely weak schedule.

Texas St - is the same way 6-4 but only 2 conference wins and weak schedule

WKU - looks good with nice wins over Kentucky and Navy. They should land somewhere.

ULL- looks destined for mobile.

ULM- would look attractive in the NO bowl if they can get one more win.

State - deserves a slot

Troy - may be one of those teams even with a win over the bobcats they still stay at home.
11-17-2013 10:37 AM
Cajunman02 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
CrappiesCrappies
Bowl qualifying
(11-17-2013 10:37 AM)SApuro Wrote:  Question is which 3?

It's looking like there will be between 73-76 bowl eligible teams. That leaves a few people stuck at home. There's a chance FAU makes it to 6-6 but unless its the beef o Brady bowl not sure what value they would add to a bowl with victories with an extremely weak schedule.

WKU - looks good with nice wins over Kentucky and Navy. They should land somewhere.

State - deserves a slot

Troy - may be one of those teams even with a win over the bobcats they still stay at home.

[Image: not-sure-if-trolling-or-serious.jpg.png]
11-17-2013 11:04 AM
davi78239 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UTSA
I think tx state gets a slot provided they win out against western ky and troy. If not, they'll be at home.
11-17-2013 11:05 AM
Rik Flair Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: stAte

State - deserves a slot

My thoughts -

UL - obvious (probably NOLA but maybe GoDaddy if NIU game lures them)
stAte - win next week should ensure bowl game (probably GoDaddy but may get NOLA if UL has better option or Shreveport if Mobile will take a another team
Tx St. - get to 7-5 and maybe Shreveport
Troy - maybe GoDaddy if stAte gets Shreveport and Tx. St and ULM lose out
ULM - GoDaddy if win out (win over UL at Lafayette)
WKU - must win out and have Tx. St / Troy / ULM / stAte all collapse and then Pizza Bowl
11-17-2013 11:13 AM
gostAte870 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Arkansas State

State - deserves a slot

Sun Belt isn't going out of their way to help WKU unless they had won the conference, and WTF does FAU have to do with any of this?
11-17-2013 11:48 AM
Advertisement

Heisman

Not 100%, but I'd speculate that a 6-6 C-USA and SBC team stay at home.
11-17-2013 11:57 AM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
Actually, this year, and this year alone, the NO Bowl is ULL's, barring some arrangement between the GDB and the NOB. You see, the NOB must take the SBC champion once every three years. The NOB has not picked the SBC champion the last two years, so they must take the winner. This year, it works out for them, as the winner will likely be ULL.
11-17-2013 12:36 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(11-17-2013 12:36 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Actually, this year, and this year alone, the NO Bowl is ULL's, barring some arrangement between the GDB and the NOB. You see, the NOB must take the SBC champion once every three years. The NOB has not picked the SBC champion the last two years, so they must take the winner. This year, it works out for them, as the winner will likely be ULL.

NOB does not have to take the champ any more. New contract.
11-17-2013 01:47 PM
MTowho Offline
1st String

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
I think the Belt has a great shot at getting four teams in. Here are my thoughts.

Here's the way I see it today. Lot's of good things happened for bubble/extra teams this week. West Virginia losing to Kansas opens up the Pinstripe Bowl from the Big 12. The Mountain West now looks like they won't fill all of their slots, leaving Idaho Potato Bowl open. See below for more detail. Using CBS's BCS team projections to fill out each conference's slots.

Total Teams Projected Available: 74

SEC: 11 slots including BCS at large, only 9 teams available unless UTK/Florida/Miss State pull off an upset.

Big 12: WVA goes down, so Big 12 has 6 teams for 7 slots

Big 10: 9 slots including BCS at large, only 7 teams available unless Northwestern pulls off upset

Pac 12: 7 slots, 8 are eligible. 9 is likely with one of Wazzu/Utah getting in.

ACC: 9 slots, 6 in, 4 on bubble. Likely that two of them get in, giving ACC one extra team.

AAC: Rutgers schedule means they are likely in. SMU needs an upset. 5 teams for 6 slots likely.

MWC: 7 slots including one BCS at large. 4 in, two more likely of the four bubble teams, leaving them one short.

Sun Belt: 4 in, 1 more likely for two slots.

MAC: 3 slots, 6 in, 1 more likely.

CUSA: 6 slots, 6 in, 1 more likely in FAU.

Indy: 3 slots, 3 in, Army's slot open, Notre Dame without a slot.

Extra Teams
Notre Dame
PAC 12
PAC 12
ACC
CUSA
SBC
SBC
SBC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC

Open Slots (conference leaving slot unfulfilled) >>> Projected conference to fill
Independence (SEC)>>> CUSA
BBVA Compass (SEC)>>> ACC
Poinsettia (Army)>>> Pac 12
Beef O Brady's (AAC)>>> MAC
Pinstripe (Big 12) >>> Notre Dame
Famous Idaho Potato (MWC)>>> SBC
Pizza (Big 10)>>> SBC
Heart of Dallas (Big 10)>>> Pac 12

If it filled out that way, that would leave 3 MAC and 1 Sun belt team sitting at home. All other bowl eligible teams fill a slot.
11-17-2013 01:57 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(11-17-2013 01:57 PM)MTowho Wrote:  I think the Belt has a great shot at getting four teams in. Here are my thoughts.

Here's the way I see it today. Lot's of good things happened for bubble/extra teams this week. West Virginia losing to Kansas opens up the Pinstripe Bowl from the Big 12. The Mountain West now looks like they won't fill all of their slots, leaving Idaho Potato Bowl open. See below for more detail. Using CBS's BCS team projections to fill out each conference's slots.

Total Teams Projected Available: 74

SEC: 11 slots including BCS at large, only 9 teams available unless UTK/Florida/Miss State pull off an upset.

Big 12: WVA goes down, so Big 12 has 6 teams for 7 slots

Big 10: 9 slots including BCS at large, only 7 teams available unless Northwestern pulls off upset

Pac 12: 7 slots, 8 are eligible. 9 is likely with one of Wazzu/Utah getting in.

ACC: 9 slots, 6 in, 4 on bubble. Likely that two of them get in, giving ACC one extra team.

AAC: Rutgers schedule means they are likely in. SMU needs an upset. 5 teams for 6 slots likely.

MWC: 7 slots including one BCS at large. 4 in, two more likely of the four bubble teams, leaving them one short.

Sun Belt: 4 in, 1 more likely for two slots.

MAC: 3 slots, 6 in, 1 more likely.

CUSA: 6 slots, 6 in, 1 more likely in FAU.

Indy: 3 slots, 3 in, Army's slot open, Notre Dame without a slot.

Extra Teams
Notre Dame
PAC 12
PAC 12
ACC
CUSA
SBC
SBC
SBC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC

Open Slots (conference leaving slot unfulfilled) >>> Projected conference to fill
Independence (SEC)>>> CUSA
BBVA Compass (SEC)>>> ACC
Poinsettia (Army)>>> Pac 12
Beef O Brady's (AAC)>>> MAC
Pinstripe (Big 12) >>> Notre Dame
Famous Idaho Potato (MWC)>>> SBC
Pizza (Big 10)>>> SBC
Heart of Dallas (Big 10)>>> Pac 12

If it filled out that way, that would leave 3 MAC and 1 Sun belt team sitting at home. All other bowl eligible teams fill a slot.

I think an SBC team would be able to get the Independence Bowl slot over a 6-6 FAU. Especially if the SBC does what I think they would and push Arkansas State or ULL for the I bowl slot. Giving the I Bowl a quality team and allowing Texas State or even WKU to get a chance.

That being said, as a league, we should be big New Mexico State fans this week. Aggies represent our last realistic chance of keeping FAU short of 6 wins.
11-17-2013 02:33 PM
Advertisement

MTowho Offline
1st String

(11-17-2013 02:33 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  I think an SBC team would be able to get the Independence Bowl slot over a 6-6 FAU. Especially if the SBC does what I think they would and push Arkansas State or ULL for the I bowl slot. Giving the I Bowl a quality team and allowing Texas State or even WKU to get a chance.

Totally agree, and I think that makes sense. But I also think CUSA would try to do the same by slotting another team besides FAU in Indy and putting FAU in St Pete or Hawaii.
11-17-2013 02:37 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(11-17-2013 02:37 PM)MTowho Wrote:  
(11-17-2013 02:33 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  I think an SBC team would be able to get the Independence Bowl slot over a 6-6 FAU. Especially if the SBC does what I think they would and push Arkansas State or ULL for the I bowl slot. Giving the I Bowl a quality team and allowing Texas State or even WKU to get a chance.

Totally agree, and I think that makes sense. But I also think CUSA would try to do the same by slotting another team besides FAU in Indy and putting FAU in St Pete or Hawaii.

Which leads to the question of, which is more attractive to I Bowl officials. An 8 win ASU, a 10 win ULL, or a 7 win CUSA team? With Neck not bowling, I like our shot.

You guys can go to Idaho if you want.
11-17-2013 02:48 PM
MTowho Offline
1st String

(11-17-2013 02:48 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

Which leads to the question of, which is more attractive to I Bowl officials. An 8 win ASU, a 10 win ULL, or a 7 win CUSA team? With Neck not bowling, I like our shot.

10 win Louisiana is certainly the prize in that situation. 9 win Rice is more of who I was thinking as a decent CUSA selection.
11-17-2013 02:52 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(11-17-2013 02:52 PM)MTowho Wrote:  
(11-17-2013 02:48 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

10 win Louisiana is certainly the prize in that situation. 9 win Rice is more of who I was thinking as a decent CUSA selection.

Rice would be your best shot. But part of that is going to come down to push back from other league bowls. Would a league bowl be okay with trading out Rice for an FAU type team?
11-17-2013 03:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.