Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ULM fans
Bookmark and Share
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
ULM fans
I am making my first trip down to Monroe for the game this Saturday and had a few questions:

1. Anyone know about the highway that runs North out of the city and back into Arkansas? Its US 165 and then 425. Is it 4 lane at all? Any crazy construction that I ought to know about.

2. Will I be able to purchase a General Admission Ticket and then sneak into the ASU section, or will I be dealing with the ULM ticket Nazi's too many times to count? (I have heard they are almost as bad as UALR's ticket Nazi's)

3. Anything about Parking/Tailgating/Campus I need to know before coming in?

4. Anything I simply must do while I am in town? I am planning on driving to at least Little Rock after the game before stopping, but should be in town most of the day Saturday?

Thanks.

Hey I made an entire thread about ULM without referencing Duck Dynasty! WOOHOOO
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2013 02:16 AM by chiefsfan.)
11-07-2013 01:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CajunExpress Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana
RE: ULM fans
I recently saw an episode of "Out Da Bayou". They featured an agriculture show on how there is a farm in North Louisiana raising high quality beef on mostly bermuda grass, and locally grown corn. Seems this beef is just one step below organic, and is sold in a high end restaurant in Monroe. I think he name might be "SAGE". In any case they cut your steak to your choice of size. Seems like it might be fun but pricey restaurant.

The sad thing about this particular episode was that the state spokesman or possibly agriculture secretary was being interviewed and saw it as an opportunity to sport his horribly ugly LSU tiger tie. Somehow I thought this episode was about Louisiana agriculture developing high quality beef in a more natural way. No feed stocks, no growth hormones, no antibiotics for healthy beef. So this was not about LSU agriculture school or farms.

In any case beef grown in this way has a Louisiana slant on the name. The beef is called, fLAvor.

Try to get there early, one of the nice things about ULM is that bayou running though the campus, you want to see it in the daylight.
11-07-2013 07:01 AM
LouisianaHawkFan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ULM, Tulane
You should post your questions here:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=346&f=3067
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2013 07:42 AM by LouisianaHawkFan.)
11-07-2013 07:41 AM
zeebart21 Offline
All American

(11-07-2013 01:58 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  I am making my first trip down to Monroe for the game this Saturday and had a few questions:

1. Anyone know about the highway that runs North out of the city and back into Arkansas? Its US 165 and then 425. Is it 4 lane at all? Any crazy construction that I ought to know about.

2. Will I be able to purchase a General Admission Ticket and then sneak into the ASU section, or will I be dealing with the ULM ticket Nazi's too many times to count? (I have heard they are almost as bad as UALR's ticket Nazi's)

3. Anything about Parking/Tailgating/Campus I need to know before coming in?

4. Anything I simply must do while I am in town? I am planning on driving to at least Little Rock after the game before stopping, but should be in town most of the day Saturday?

Thanks.

Hey I made an entire thread about ULM without referencing Duck Dynasty! WOOHOOO

There's a Subway on 165 S.. Gotta cross I20 to get there. Makes a mean 6 inch turkey sub. Be careful when you get out the vehicle, though... you'll need a bullet proof vest and your concealed carry permit. Disregard the pimps.
11-07-2013 08:04 AM
Advertisement

InjunJohn Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: ULM
Well, ignoring Z's "humor" I will try to help some.

I am flying in from Colorado and haven't lived in Monroe for a couple of decades...yep, that old. I always get my fix of Johnny's Pizza and there is one right by campus on Desiard. Friends have told me that Daqs on Forsythe is good and reasonable (think pub food) along with Enochs on Louisville. Fieldhouse on 165 (just off campus) is a sports bar with plenty of TVs and owned by a former ULM player (Joey Trappey). And there is the Waterfront grill for seafood on Desiard.

There is tailgate parking for visitors. If you want some more insight, do visit the ULM Scout site that was posted. Folks will give you the lowdown on places to eat, depending on the food you want. And, if you are staying in a hotel, I probably wouldn't stay on 165. Hotels out by Pecanland mall and easy access back to ULM.
11-07-2013 09:05 AM
Warsaw landing Offline
Special Teams

1. I haven't been up 165 in years so no help there. 2. I don't think it would be a problem, always people buying general admission tickets and moving to any open chairbacks they see. 3. Get there early and should be plenty of parking either behind east side of stadium or by the track that's free parking. Park on east side to be closer to the grove. 4. The guy that mentioned sage is correct and its a very good steak but also pricey. A lot of good restaurants in monore also, waterfront grill is right across the bayou from the grove and others would be Cascio's In west monore and cottons on the river and in down town Monroe. Also don't go south of I-20 as the other Cajun poster mentioned.
11-07-2013 09:09 AM
Arrowhead Offline
Beltbbs ULM INsider

(11-07-2013 09:09 AM)Warsaw landing Wrote:  1. I haven't been up 165 in years so no help there. 2. I don't think it would be a problem, always people buying general admission tickets and moving to any open chairbacks they see. 3. Get there early and should be plenty of parking either behind east side of stadium or by the track that's free parking. Park on east side to be closer to the grove. 4. The guy that mentioned sage is correct and its a very good steak but also pricey. A lot of good restaurants in monore also, waterfront grill is right across the bayou from the grove and others would be Cascio's In west monore and cottons on the river and in down town Monroe. Also don't go south of I-20 as the other Cajun poster mentioned.

Cotton is on the river downtown and the Chef is Corey Barr, who won an episode of Chopped and has another TV show coming out. He did some of the food for the Grammy's a year ago and even has some celebrities fly in to eat there. Kicks Brooks was there the night I was there. It has even been ranked in the top 5 restaurant's in the nation, but that's quite a stretch in my opinion. Very good, but not THAT good. The Duck Dynasty people frequent this place, as it is southern gourmet. Daq's on Forsythe Avenue has the best grilled chicken sand which you will ever have. Have it dipped in sweet red chile sauce. There hamburgers are excellent too. Hope to see you at some point on your trip down.
11-07-2013 09:50 AM
Advertisement

tyler90wm Offline
Blue Raider

I Root For: MT
(11-07-2013 09:05 AM)InjunJohn Wrote:  Well, ignoring Z's "humor" I will try to help some.

I am flying in from Colorado and haven't lived in Monroe for a couple of decades...yep, that old. I always get my fix of Johnny's Pizza and there is one right by campus on Desiard. Friends have told me that Daqs on Forsythe is good and reasonable (think pub food) along with Enochs on Louisville. Fieldhouse on 165 (just off campus) is a sports bar with plenty of TVs and owned by a former ULM player (Joey Trappey). And there is the Waterfront grill for seafood on Desiard.

There is tailgate parking for visitors. If you want some more insight, do visit the ULM Scout site that was posted. Folks will give you the lowdown on places to eat, depending on the food you want. And, if you are staying in a hotel, I probably wouldn't stay on 165. Hotels out by Pecanland mall and easy access back to ULM.

I'll second Johnny's Pizza (probably the best pizza I've ever had) and Enochs.

Also, I'd add Ray's PeGe, The Magic Grill, or The Kitchen for some pretty good po boys.
11-07-2013 07:15 PM
Arrowhead Offline
Beltbbs ULM INsider

(11-07-2013 07:15 PM)tyler90wm Wrote:  
(11-07-2013 09:05 AM)InjunJohn Wrote:  Well, ignoring Z's "humor" I will try to help some.

Also, I'd add Ray's PeGe, The Magic Grill, or The Kitchen for some pretty good po boys.

Monroe actually has very good food. If you like sushi, Thai, Vietnamese, etc., Rawz Cafe is the best I've eaten anywhere. I travel almost every weekend and my fiancé who moved here from Dallas have both tried Asian food all over the country and world and it's the best to me. She also agrees.
11-07-2013 09:08 PM
Louisianafanrcajun90 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UL
(11-07-2013 09:08 PM)Arrowhead Wrote:  

Monroe actually has very good food. If you like sushi, Thai, Vietnamese, etc., Rawz Cafe is the best I've eaten anywhere. I travel almost every weekend and my fiancé who moved here from Dallas have both tried Asian food all over the country and world and it's the best to me. She also agrees.

Does that Sushi place double as a bait stand? I just don't get the Sushi craze. It smells and tastes like bait.
11-07-2013 09:19 PM
Advertisement

Arrowhead Offline
Beltbbs ULM INsider

(11-07-2013 09:19 PM)Louisianafanrcajun90 Wrote:  
(11-07-2013 09:08 PM)Arrowhead Wrote:  

Does that Sushi place double as a bait stand? I just don't get the Sushi craze. It smells and tastes like bait.

Then you're missing the boat. No pun intended.
11-07-2013 09:41 PM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
(11-07-2013 09:08 PM)Arrowhead Wrote:  Monroe actually has very good food. If you like sushi, Thai, Vietnamese, etc., Rawz Cafe is the best I've eaten anywhere. I travel almost every weekend and my fiancé who moved here from Dallas have both tried Asian food all over the country and world and it's the best to me. She also agrees.

I am leery of eating seafood anywhere that is more than 200 miles from the coast... let alone sushi!

It's just rarely fresh (in my experience). I just avoid it like the plague.
11-07-2013 10:04 PM
Arrowhead Offline
Beltbbs ULM INsider

(11-07-2013 10:04 PM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  
(11-07-2013 09:08 PM)Arrowhead Wrote:  Monroe actually has very good food. If you like sushi, Thai, Vietnamese, etc., Rawz Cafe is the best I've eaten anywhere. I travel almost every weekend and my fiancé who moved here from Dallas have both tried Asian food all over the country and world and it's the best to me. She also agrees.

I am leery of eating seafood anywhere that is more than 200 miles from the coast... let alone sushi!

Well anyways, if anyone likes sushi and Thai it is very good. Lol.
11-07-2013 10:12 PM
CajunExpress Offline
1st String

(11-07-2013 10:04 PM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  

One of my customers used to be an illegal transporter of great Louisiana shrimp to Chicago. He would buy the shrimp at the docks right off the boats, and made a 700 mile trip to The Windy City. The restaurants he sold to trusted him, and were all very happy. Your restaurant needs to know their provider.

You should know your restauranteur who will provide you with quality products. I would be leery of any restaurant selling anything unless I have personal knowledge of them being sterling, or have a known reputation for being sterling. I had friends in the state inspection field, and believe me you need to be leery of a lot more than old seafood.
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2013 08:04 AM by CajunExpress.)
11-08-2013 12:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.