Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Has C-USA benefitted...
Bookmark and Share
mbrunner Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Troy University
Has C-USA benefitted...
...by having FAU, MTSU, FIU & UNT join.......OR?

I say YES because those teams fair better against other C-USA opponents. The SBC is so tightly close/competitive that the cream-of-the-crop (ULL) is not THAT much better than the middle of the pack.

Or maybe I'm still high. 04-drinky
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2013 12:56 PM by mbrunner.)
11-05-2013 12:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
RE: Has C-USA benefitted...
(11-05-2013 12:56 PM)mbrunner Wrote:  ...by having FAU, MTSU, FIU & UNT join.......OR?

I say YES because those teams fair better against other C-USA opponents. The SBC is so tightly close/competitive that the cream-of-the-crop (ULL) is not THAT much better than the middle of the pack.

I say C-USA and the Sun Belt have both benefited and lost from these moves.

C-USA has gained some solid programs like UNT & MTSU (and soon WKU) while the Sun Belt has shed two programs that appear to be struggling in FAU and FIU. However because of C-USA's overall weakened state the Sun Belt has benefited by keeping a solid core of teams which has moved the Sun Belt from dead last to ahead of C-USA and on par with the MAC. The down side for the Sun Belt besides losing those solid programs I mentioned is the perception that the conference had to rush expansion or die which probably wasn't true. With the addition of Georgia Southern and App St I expect the Sun Belt to continue to be competitive.
11-05-2013 01:49 PM
mbrunner Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Troy University
(11-05-2013 01:49 PM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  
(11-05-2013 12:56 PM)mbrunner Wrote:  ...by having FAU, MTSU, FIU & UNT join.......OR?

I say C-USA and the Sun Belt have both benefited and lost from these moves.

C-USA has gained some solid programs like UNT & MTSU (and soon WKU) while the Sun Belt has shed two programs that appear to be struggling in FAU and FIU. However because of C-USA's overall weakened state the Sun Belt has benefited by keeping a solid core of teams which has moved the Sun Belt from dead last to ahead of C-USA and on par with the MAC. The down side for the Sun Belt besides losing those solid programs I mentioned is the perception that the conference had to rush expansion or die which probably wasn't true. With the addition of Georgia Southern and App St I expect the Sun Belt to continue to be competitive.

"The down side for the Sun Belt besides losing those solid programs I mentioned is the perception that the conference had to rush expansion or die which probably wasn't true."

As long as stAte & ULL don't bolt, we'll be juuuuust fine.
11-05-2013 01:54 PM
Crump1 Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte
I don't think they benefitted. I don't think anyone is proclaiming that their conference improved with its losses. I know this will piss of some of the lurkers but UNT and Tulane becoming bowl teams in one year just isn't a coincidence. The standard bearers that remain in CUSA like Tulsa and USM are terrible, leaving or both. La. Tech is down. Half the league entered last weekend with 2 or fewer wins.

On the flipside, I don't think the SBC benefitted from the defections in the present sense. We do have a much higher percentage of decent teams this year but we have to consider struggling Idaho and NMSU when assessing the impact.
11-05-2013 02:15 PM
MG61 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UNT
(11-05-2013 02:15 PM)Crump1 Wrote:  I don't think they benefitted. I don't think anyone is proclaiming that their conference improved with its losses. I know this will piss of some of the lurkers but UNT and Tulane becoming bowl teams in one year just isn't a coincidence. The standard bearers that remain in CUSA like Tulsa and USM are terrible, leaving or both. La. Tech is down. Half the league entered last weekend with 2 or fewer wins.

On the flipside, I don't think the SBC benefitted from the defections in the present sense. We do have a much higher percentage of decent teams this year but we have to consider struggling Idaho and NMSU when assessing the impact.

Latest BCS rankings Sun Belt current & departed teams.

#37 ULL
#49 North Texas
#69 ULM
#70 Middle Tennessee
#77 Texas State
#81 Arkansas State
#85 Troy
#86 WKU
#90 FAU
#93 USA
#115 FIU
999 Georgia State

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/rankings/bcs
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2013 02:33 PM by MG61.)
11-05-2013 02:32 PM
CajunExpress Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana
You should never, ever show up here after losing to TooLame and flaunting your BCS rank. Disgraceful, and pathetic.
11-05-2013 02:39 PM
Advertisement

Crump1 Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte
(11-05-2013 02:32 PM)MG61 Wrote:  
(11-05-2013 02:15 PM)Crump1 Wrote:  I don't think they benefitted. I don't think anyone is proclaiming that their conference improved with its losses. I know this will piss of some of the lurkers but UNT and Tulane becoming bowl teams in one year just isn't a coincidence. The standard bearers that remain in CUSA like Tulsa and USM are terrible, leaving or both. La. Tech is down. Half the league entered last weekend with 2 or fewer wins.

#37 ULL
#49 North Texas
#69 ULM
#70 Middle Tennessee
#77 Texas State
#81 Arkansas State
#85 Troy
#86 WKU
#90 FAU
#93 USA
#115 FIU
999 Georgia State

Ecatly what I am talking about. UNT has benefitted greatly from the move to a conference with a lot of "easy outs". UNT doesn't get to 6 wins as easily against the top 7 SBC teams. Remember how far La. Tech shot up the rankings playing in the last year of the WAC? Heck, NIU made a BCS bowl playing one of the easiest schedules in the country.
11-05-2013 03:02 PM
TrojanCampaign Offline
All American

I Root For: USC, AAMU,
Here's the thing that will hurt conference USA. They have finally lost all of their teams that were power teams but just got shafted by the previous round of realignment. Many people may not realize but there was a time when Houston, ECU, SMU, and Tulane were actually power programs. They were the reason conference USA was so desirable by up and coming teams like UCF, USF, and other teams that got shafted like TCU. Conference USA fans would have you believe they were worth nothing but here's the truth:

ECU- Not many teams in non power conferences have the support, history, and success they do. The pirates honestly, should have been in the Big East when it was formed.
Houston- They have a great history in football and basketball. Not to mention being a major team in one of the countries biggest cities.
Tulane- It's funny to laugh at them but they have elite academics, money, a strong history, and good facilities.
UCF - They were a home run addition for conference USA and the AAC. A large city, strong support and interest in sports, and they have shown they can win and finish in the top 25.
Tulsa- They are a small school but they are a consistent winner in multiple sports.
Memphis- Big city, elite basketball, and as for football, every team lucks up and gets a recruit or coach they should not have every once a while.

They can argue all day but adding UNCC, ODU, FAU, FIU, UTSA, UNT, and MTSU do not even begin to compare to that. I'm not saying none of them can compete with them or beat them but looking at consistency it's going to really hurt them when teams like UNT or La Tech are good one year then terrible for four.

It's going to be interesting to see which conference is stronger between the Sun Belt and Conference USA when both conferences get up and running in a few years.
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2013 03:09 PM by TrojanCampaign.)
11-05-2013 03:06 PM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
Reality will set in when CUSA has to renegotiate it's contract...less money, more mouths to feed.
11-05-2013 03:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
joshdude182 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: North Texas
(11-05-2013 03:51 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  Reality will set in when CUSA has to renegotiate it's contract...less money, more mouths to feed.

Just like it set in for the AAC? You don't really believe the Sun Belt is a better conference than CUSA. You're just putting down CUSA to assert your superiority over your former conference. I'd love to hear your thoughts on things had Memphis not been invited to the AAC.
11-05-2013 03:55 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(11-05-2013 03:55 PM)joshdude182 Wrote:  
(11-05-2013 03:51 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  Reality will set in when CUSA has to renegotiate it's contract...less money, more mouths to feed.

Just like it set in for the AAC? You don't really believe the Sun Belt is a better conference than CUSA. You're just putting down CUSA to assert your superiority over your former conference. I'd love to hear your thoughts on things had Memphis not been invited to the AAC.

He doesn't have to think it. Statistics say that the Sun Belt is indeed a better conference than CUSA this year.
11-05-2013 04:16 PM
Advertisement

UofMemphis Away

Donators

Yes, but that's realignment...one second you have Louisville, Boise State, Rutgers, and the C7...looking at a 6 million dollar tv deal...the next, you don't.

That said, I like the make-up of the AAC...I'd much prefer playing Cincy, UCF, ECU, Navy, Houston, etc in football over playing schools like FIU, Charlotte, ODU, UAB, UNT, etc...the AAC has a very good basketball lineup with UConn, Cincy, Memphis, Temple, Tulsa, UCF, even SMU with Larry Brown.

But the nice thing about the AAC is getting the BEs 100 million dollar plus "war chest" of NCAA credits, exit fees, BCS money and such that will be split 60-40 (old/new schools) over the next 5 years.

UConn, Cincy, USF will get 6 million per season for the next 5 years...the rest will get 3 million per season for the next 5 years. (That's 3x what we got in CUSA)
11-05-2013 04:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!

This year in football? I'd say we are the better conference.

But really... What is a "better" conference? You can't really just look at football, because there's so many other components. Basketball, baseball... even women's sports.

I do think that CUSA's television contract will take a hit when it is renegotiated. By how much? I dunno. It's also entirely possible that teams that are currently dragging could pick up in the next year or so and the hit won't be significant.

Now basketball is where I think CUSA will make their money. They have a pretty decent conference there. I know diddly about basketball, so I'll just leave it at that.
11-05-2013 04:26 PM
Hail The Blue Offline
1st String

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
(11-05-2013 04:26 PM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  

This year in football? I'd say we are the better conference.

But really... What is a "better" conference? You can't really just look at football, because there's so many other components. Basketball, baseball... even women's sports.

I do think that CUSA's television contract will take a hit when it is renegotiated. By how much? I dunno. It's also entirely possible that teams that are currently dragging could pick up in the next year or so and the hit won't be significant.

Now basketball is where I think CUSA will make their money. They have a pretty decent conference there. I know diddly about basketball, so I'll just leave it at that.

If you live in the south football is the only sport that matters. The others just pass the time until spring practices start, and until fall kickoff.
11-05-2013 04:42 PM
chiefsfan Offline

For me, basketball is just that sport that takes up a few months to tide us over between the end of football and the start of baseball season.
11-05-2013 04:44 PM
MG61 Offline
Heisman

You guys are sooooooooooo funny. Slamming CUSA every chance you get, but knocking on the door and making calls hoping to get an invite. 03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao
11-05-2013 05:32 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline

(11-05-2013 05:32 PM)MG61 Wrote:  You guys are sooooooooooo funny. Slamming CUSA every chance you get, but knocking on the door and making calls hoping to get an invite. 03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao

Have you been tapping members phone lines again?
11-05-2013 05:35 PM
MG61 Offline
Heisman

(11-05-2013 03:02 PM)Crump1 Wrote:  

#37 ULL
#49 North Texas
#69 ULM
#70 Middle Tennessee
#77 Texas State
#81 Arkansas State
#85 Troy
#86 WKU
#90 FAU
#93 USA
#115 FIU
999 Georgia State

Ecatly what I am talking about. UNT has benefitted greatly from the move to a conference with a lot of "easy outs". UNT doesn't get to 6 wins as easily against the top 7 SBC teams. Remember how far La. Tech shot up the rankings playing in the last year of the WAC? Heck, NIU made a BCS bowl playing one of the easiest schedules in the country.

Ball State is rated above every team in the Sun Belt at #35 and Rice at #51 is only exceeded by ULL at #37. Those two are not exactly easy outs along with Middle Tennessee that is ahead of everyone in the Sun Belt with the exception of ULL and ULM. Compare who NT has beaten against who you have beaten and NT comes out with the tougher schedule. You always try to downplay teams that have left the Sun Belt for another conference.
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2013 05:37 PM by MG61.)
11-05-2013 05:36 PM
geauxcajuns Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
(11-05-2013 05:36 PM)MG61 Wrote:  
(11-05-2013 03:02 PM)Crump1 Wrote:  

#37 ULL
#49 North Texas
#69 ULM
#70 Middle Tennessee
#77 Texas State
#81 Arkansas State
#85 Troy
#86 WKU
#90 FAU
#93 USA
#115 FIU
999 Georgia State

Ball State is rated above every team in the Sun Belt at #35 and Rice at #51 is only exceeded by ULL at #37. Those two are not exactly easy outs along with Middle Tennessee that is ahead of everyone in the Sun Belt with the exception of ULL and ULM. Compare who NT has beaten against who you have beaten and NT comes out with the tougher schedule. You always try to downplay teams that have left the Sun Belt for another conference.

I'll say this right now, if we win on Thursday there is not a single team in CUSA that wants to play the Cajuns in NOLA. Not Tulane, UNT, Rice, Marshall or ECU.
11-05-2013 05:40 PM
UofMemphis Away

Donators
I just don't see UL-L as scary...but hell, I'll be happy to beat UT-M and get another win.
11-05-2013 05:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.