UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Talent, Facilities, or Coaching
Taylor Blazer Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
Talent, Facilities, or Coaching
Well, we were dismantled by a team who should, at a minimum, be our equal or less in talent. So, is it talent level, facilities, coaching or one or all of the aforementioned?
10-26-2013 08:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Blazer88 Offline
Banned

I Root For: UAB
RE: Talent, Facilities, or Coaching
When you get your ass beat like that to a team that just entered DI football. It's coaching, and players no longer caring, and ready to be done with football and school.
10-26-2013 08:32 PM
blazerball25 Offline
Special Teams

Coaching 100%....and it has been starting with the 4th quarter of the Troy game this year.
10-26-2013 08:40 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
(10-26-2013 08:26 PM)Taylor Blazer Wrote:  Well, we were dismantled by a team who should, at a minimum, be our equal or less in talent. So, is it talent level, facilities, coaching or one or all of the aforementioned?

Answer these questions -
Did we hire the best coaches we desired or the coaches who were the best we could afford?
Did we bring in the best recruits we desired or the best we could get to come to UAB? (And stay here)
Does UAB have the level of facility infrastructure we would find at many of those schools with whom we must compete every year?
Also don't overlook that tonight we were up against a coach who has a BCS NC on his record, though not where he is now. He probably knows a thing or two that a 2nd year FBHC has not learned yet.

There is not one of these that is the only answer - they all are part of the answer.
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2013 08:50 PM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
10-26-2013 08:42 PM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-26-2013 08:40 PM)blazerball25 Wrote:  Coaching 100%....and it has been starting with the 4th quarter of the Troy game this year.

It's been going on for the past 13 years, at least.

Everyone is just there collecting a paycheck, no one cares, there's no pride in the program.
10-26-2013 08:42 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(10-26-2013 08:40 PM)blazerball25 Wrote:  Coaching 100%....and it has been starting with the 4th quarter of the Troy game this year.

You are clueless if you think it is only coaching.
10-26-2013 08:47 PM
Advertisement

Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Maybe not, but the buck has to stop somewhere.
10-26-2013 08:47 PM
Uncle BLAZER Offline
Hired Gun

I Root For: The Real GSU
Amen
10-26-2013 08:50 PM
cb4029 Offline
The spoon that stirs the pot.

I Root For: Deez Nuts

Donators
I blame the Troy game on coaching.
10-26-2013 08:56 PM
B'ham Blazer Offline
All American

(10-26-2013 08:42 PM)mixduptransistor Wrote:  

Everyone is just there collecting a paycheck, no one cares, there's no pride in the program.

I think the coaches are passionate enough.........really think they are working hard to turn this thing around. Not sure if they have what it takes though. :(
10-26-2013 08:57 PM
blazerball25 Offline
Special Teams

(10-26-2013 08:47 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  

You think Garrick McGee hung the moon so your opinion is worthless. Name one game where at the conclusion you thought, "wow he coached a helluva game and the opposing coach was overmatched"
10-26-2013 08:57 PM
Advertisement

BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award

And what do you and others in despair expect to happen now? Do you seriously believe UAB could fire this staff and hire a better one on our athletic budget? Just installing a two year limit revolving door on the UAB coach's office will not get us where we say we want to go.

I don't believe for a minute that "no one cares and they are just collecting checks". I am not one who knows enough to judge their abilities, but I know that UAB is not the summit of their aspirations as coaches. We should have learned better than to say something like that based upon our experience with BBHC Anderson. It takes time to turn a program of 85 players around when you can only bring in 25 new guys per year (and then they don't all make it into school - or stay).
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2013 09:02 PM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
10-26-2013 09:01 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(10-26-2013 08:57 PM)blazerball25 Wrote:  
(10-26-2013 08:47 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  

You think Garrick McGee hung the moon so your opinion is worthless. Name one game where at the conclusion you thought, "wow he coached a helluva game and the opposing coach was overmatched"

03-lmfao
What a f'in idiot. I don't trash the coach so my opinion is worthless. Do you know what 100% means? It means that everything else is perfect and the only reason we are not a winning program is because of coaching.

And I reiterate, if that is what you think, you are a clueless fool. But hey, my opinion is worthless. Go on thinking that the only problem in the world that UAB has is McGee. 03-lmfao
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2013 09:03 PM by Memphis Blazer.)
10-26-2013 09:02 PM
Uncle BLAZER Offline
Hired Gun

I Root For: The Real GSU
"Fn idiot" huh? Look who has stooped down a level.
10-26-2013 09:20 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
How about all the above? UABs problems are not just one thing and they won't be fixed overnight.
10-26-2013 09:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BlazerGrad88 Offline
All American

"Talent, facilities, or coaching?" you ask.

Yes, yes, and yes.
10-26-2013 09:51 PM
Advertisement

Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
It's been a year and a half, and I don't expect miracles, but I do expect progress.
10-26-2013 09:51 PM
B'ham Blazer Offline
All American

(10-26-2013 09:51 PM)Smaug Wrote:  It's been a year and a half, and I don't expect miracles, but I do expect progress.

+1
10-26-2013 09:53 PM
Blazer85 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB Blazers
I think the situation is a little more complex than some acknowledge.

1) There is a culture of losing. The older players that are here have no experience in winning on any consistent level. They know how to play the role of a defeated team.

2) Largely because of our culture of losing (as well as facilities and academic standards), we are limited in the talent that we can bring in. That prevents us from making any rapid improvements.

3) Coaching right now is subpar. I won't blame McGee for the defense entirely. It is his responsibility to try to get things heading in the right direction with recruiting and getting the right coaches in place. But the terrible defense we have has been established over years-- not just the years since McGee was here. So our lack of talent, especially on defense, is not McGee's fault, at least not completely.

However, the part of coaching I most directly blame on McGee is the QB coaching. This is supposed to be his strength, and it is abundantly clear to me that he has blundered the QB situation at UAB. Case in point, Austin Brown had great chemistry going in the Troy game. What does McGee do? Brings in JP which breaks up that chemistry and allows Troy back in the game. Other games where Brown can't get anything going, he sticks with Brown and doesn't even give JP a shot to see what he can do. There's no excuse for such poor management of our QBs. Both Brown and JP are talented guys, but neither can develop any consistency and neither seems to be consistently improving. That's absolutely on McGee.

4) These things continue to cycle year after year.

I don't know what it's going to take to get out of the funk. I think McGee is a decent coach. Is he ready to manage a whole football team? You certainly can't say yes, but maybe we can't say no just yet. But the lack of improvement and ability to show that he is growing as a coach is making me really question his ability. I like his passion and he certainly has the talk of a coach that's better than Callaway, but his record and coaching decisions don't lead me to believe so far that he is any improvement over Callaway.
10-26-2013 09:54 PM
dfarr Offline
Murse Practitioner

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award

Not 13. More like 7 or 8, but your point is still valid
10-26-2013 10:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.