Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Division I governance meeting starting October 29th to provide info for survey.
Lurker Above Offline
1st String

I Root For: UGA
Division I governance meeting starting October 29th to provide info for survey.
A lot of heavy hitters at this meeting.

"The presidents will hear the presentations Oct. 29 and reconvene for discussion during the regularly scheduled board meeting Oct. 30. The Dialogue agenda will be constructed based on information from the presentations as well as feedback from a governance re-design survey sent to many in the membership. Survey responses are due by Nov. 15."

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/publ...h+di+board
10-24-2013 07:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
RE: Division I governance meeting starting October 29th to provide info for survey.
(10-24-2013 07:27 AM)Lurker Above Wrote:  A lot of heavy hitters at this meeting.

"The presidents will hear the presentations Oct. 29 and reconvene for discussion during the regularly scheduled board meeting Oct. 30. The Dialogue agenda will be constructed based on information from the presentations as well as feedback from a governance re-design survey sent to many in the membership. Survey responses are due by Nov. 15."

Is this in continuance of the committee that started meeting on August 8th?
10-24-2013 07:35 PM
Lurker Above Offline
1st String

I Root For: UGA
RE: Division I governance meeting starting October 29th to provide info for survey.
(10-24-2013 07:35 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  
(10-24-2013 07:27 AM)Lurker Above Wrote:  A lot of heavy hitters at this meeting.

Is this in continuance of the committee that started meeting on August 8th?

I think so. It appears they are moving full speed ahead with "Division 4".
10-25-2013 02:15 AM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
If the G4 Division is formed my three biggest questions are:

1. What happens to independents?
2. Will the current NCAA Basketball Championship format continue?
3. How many conferences in the G4 and what will be the standards for membership?
10-25-2013 07:32 AM
He1nousOne Offline

(10-25-2013 07:32 AM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  If the G4 Division is formed my three biggest questions are:

3. How many conferences in the G4 and what will be the standards for membership?

All good questions. Would love to find out about all that myself.

I have to say though that I really cannot see them messing with the basketball situation. If they do, then they are going to stir up a massive hornet's nest of trouble. If they agree not to touch it then I think they will be able to do much more of what they want to do for football.
10-25-2013 07:42 AM
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
Looking at all the committee memberships it would appear that all 10 fbs conferences are at least included in the planning. Looks like this may be more inclusive than many here would like.
10-25-2013 07:46 AM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(10-25-2013 07:42 AM)He1nousOne Wrote:  
(10-25-2013 07:32 AM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  If the G4 Division is formed my three biggest questions are:

All good questions. Would love to find out about all that myself.

I have to say though that I really cannot see them messing with the basketball situation. If they do, then they are going to stir up a massive hornet's nest of trouble. If they agree not to touch it then I think they will be able to do much more of what they want to do for football.

The trick is they want to set their own rules. What they do for football, they will have to do with other sports because of Title IX. So they will be playing by two different sets of rules in sports other than football. That won't work well in the long run.
10-25-2013 07:48 AM
Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston
I get the impression each of these working groups will be presenting their own proposal. That means the Faculty Group proposal is only one of a number of different proposals for D-4, each of which could be more or less inclusive than the Faculty Group proposal that was made public.
10-25-2013 08:07 AM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

There are just to many variables to guess what will happen, but one thing for sure is that D1 and the NCAA as we know it is about to change. 07-coffee3
10-25-2013 09:11 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

(10-25-2013 09:11 AM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  There are just to many variables to guess what will happen, but one thing for sure is that D1 and the NCAA as we know it is about to change. 07-coffee3

I don't think that's for sure. You've got a lot of groups with very different agendas. They have to come to an agreement.

There will be change. But there's no guarantee it happens in January. They were pretty certain they would have a college football playoff back in 1993. It all fell apart and its only in 2014 we get any sort of playoff.
10-25-2013 09:19 AM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

The time period is variable as well, but it will happen in the near future, I never said change was immanent, but the process has begun. 07-coffee3
10-25-2013 09:29 AM
Advertisement

wrcwolf Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:
While they're meeting, they may want to come up with some settlement suggestions for the O'Bannon case and I don't believe a $2000/yr stipend or COA is going to be enough. Have to think there's a few that would like a say in a potential new NCAA over being told how to become in a potential new NCAA by a judge.

NCAA motion to dismiss denied.
10-25-2013 02:27 PM
He1nousOne Offline

(10-25-2013 09:19 AM)bullet Wrote:  
(10-25-2013 09:11 AM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  There are just to many variables to guess what will happen, but one thing for sure is that D1 and the NCAA as we know it is about to change. 07-coffee3

I don't think that's for sure. You've got a lot of groups with very different agendas. They have to come to an agreement.

There will be change. But there's no guarantee it happens in January. They were pretty certain they would have a college football playoff back in 1993. It all fell apart and its only in 2014 we get any sort of playoff.

The NCAA already announced that the changes decided upon at the Convention will be put into place by August 2014. These folks are under the gun. They have run out of time and know they need to come up with something. I would say we can pretty much guarantee something will happen in January. They may try to implement less than what the Majors want but they have already said they will be implementing something.
10-25-2013 08:02 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
(10-25-2013 08:02 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  

The NCAA already announced that the changes decided upon at the Convention will be put into place by August 2014. These folks are under the gun. They have run out of time and know they need to come up with something. I would say we can pretty much guarantee something will happen in January. They may try to implement less than what the Majors want but they have already said they will be implementing something.

That's right.

I don't expect to see much beyond what was proposed already at this point.
10-25-2013 08:48 PM
He1nousOne Offline

(10-25-2013 08:48 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  

That's right.

I don't expect to see much beyond what was proposed already at this point.

Of course you don't. At least you hope so anyways.
10-25-2013 08:50 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
This is the obligatory let's try to stay in the NCAA meeting. Every effort will be made to try to form an new upper division limited to a predetermined number between 60 and 80 schools. They will push for the cost of living stipends and other issues important to the P5 schools. If they are stonewalled by the smaller schools, or bogged down in the typical committee morass, or impinged in any significant way then things will get interesting.

The threat of a breakaway is real. The spokespeople for the P5 schools, their presidents and commissioners, have all made it clear that they would like to stay within the NCAA structure. The key words here are "would like". That is hardly a mandate to do so. I believe that they realize that this time too much is at stake to stick with status quo. Besides what better way to insulate themselves from the O'Bannon case than to form a new governance structure and let the NCAA take the heat for that case.
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2013 09:11 PM by JRsec.)
10-25-2013 09:08 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

You are assuming they will agree on something in January.
10-25-2013 09:11 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

When I look at the groups presenting, there are a bunch of very different viewpoints. There was one group putting things out a couple of weeks ago that, if implemented, would drive the P5 out. And they think its realistic. I believe they are one of the groups presenting.

So it will be hard to reach agreement.
10-25-2013 09:13 PM
He1nousOne Offline

(10-25-2013 09:11 PM)bullet Wrote:  

I am assuming they basically already have and that the presentations being made on the 29th are either a symbolic gesture or are about smaller more minute details.

I am assuming based upon the very often stated desires of Major Conference Commissioners, Major University Presidents and Athletic Directors and because the money is leading to this.

Anyone assuming the opposite is being hopeful, in my opinion. The threat of these conferences and schools actually leaving the NCAA is still viable. The NCAA has proven itself to be very inept in it's leadership. These Major Universities could easily prove such in Court if it came down to it.
10-25-2013 09:28 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(10-25-2013 09:28 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  
(10-25-2013 09:11 PM)bullet Wrote:  

I am assuming they basically already have and that the presentations being made on the 29th are either a symbolic gesture or are about smaller more minute details.

I am assuming based upon the very often stated desires of Major Conference Commissioners, Major University Presidents and Athletic Directors and because the money is leading to this.

Anyone assuming the opposite is being hopeful, in my opinion. The threat of these conferences and schools actually leaving the NCAA is still viable. The NCAA has proven itself to be very inept in it's leadership. These Major Universities could easily prove such in Court if it came down to it.
I said as much above.
10-25-2013 09:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.